Besides thieves, which class can escape even when chased by 5+ people? — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home WvW

Besides thieves, which class can escape even when chased by 5+ people?

aaron.7850aaron.7850 Member ✭✭✭
edited June 13, 2020 in WvW

Lets assume a scenario where you will be in wvw and 4-6 low-to-avarage skill enemies are going to chase you and try to kill you.

Besides thieves or mesmers with their stealth, which class/setup has the best chances to run away or last alive the longest? Considering there will be instances where they will catch-up and throw damaging abilities at you.

Comments

• Sovereign.1093Sovereign.1093 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2020

It highly depends on who's chasing. If you got a Nike glass chasing you, well, you ain't getting away

Not Even Coverage is the Only broken thing in WVW.

• Sleepwalker.1398Sleepwalker.1398 Member ✭✭✭✭

Soulbeast/Druid - Trapper Runes

• Yasai.3549Yasai.3549 Member ✭✭✭✭

Any tbh.

If yu want me to single out Professions/Builds however, I'll go with :

Soulbeast and Holosmith amongst the better ones which aren't Thief or Mesmer.

These two Professions share one thing in common, being that they both also have access to Stealth, both also have strong Boon uptime (especially defensive boons like Protection), and really high sustain.

Even if they can't "outrun" a pack of players, they can easily sustain the chip damage yu will incur while running to a friendly tower.
    When played extremely well, they can easily run laps around low skilled players without even dropping below 70% health.

If I play a stupid build, I deserve to die.
    If I beat people on a stupid build, I deserve to get away with it.

• @Taobella.6597 said:
    any class can run away if you know how to play it.

rev has shino to teleport away
    engi has stealth an super speed to run away
    nerco have wurm and spec walk
    warrior have a bunch of leap skill
    guardian have teleport
    ranger have a bunch of leaps and stealth

Core Guardian need a target for Judge's Intervention and the other TP skill need a friendly target to move guardian at all.
    Guardian do not have any teleport skill that can be used to escape as an independent skill without target compared to Mesmer's Blink. Swords (MH) teleport isn't exactly long range and not very useful when one need to get away. Guardian need to use their boons (Aegis and Swiftness) to get any mobility that is from professional skills. (I wouldn't count Runes that can change how skills work from using heals, traps or elites that every profession can use if they fulfil certain conditions to trigger an extra effect/skill).

Mesmer's Blink have also been nerfed, so it is hard to really trust that you will always get away if something would be in the path or there is some kind of gap on land. Today it needs much more pathing to actually work compared with how it did work for a couple of years ago.

• Strider.7849Strider.7849 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2020

Mobility wise:
    Engineer stealth gyro, hammer leap, elixir gun + 180 bind + superspeed(scrapper)
    Warrior with sword/G's (combined) + rampage
    Ranger greatsword + swoop (soulbeast)
    Mesmer general stealthing + sword leap spam + staff 180 bind + blink (mirage)
    Elementalist RTL + lightning flash (can be used as juke) + fiery greatsword +/ earth dagger leap (if taking dagger mainhand also)

Juke or target required (trickier to be evasive but doable)
    Guardian judges intervention + sword leap + wings of resolve (dragon hunter)
    Necro flesh worm + spectral walk + portal (scourge)

Also FYI, you can add to all this with choosing Norn and taking snow leopard elite for stealth/leap/rush to disengage.

Runes to help disengage:
    Runes of speed
    Trapper runes
    Zephyrite

There are options, some classes do it better than others for sure but generally they are designed around it.

Edit: I didn't add rev because I don't play it

• Fat Disgrace.4275Fat Disgrace.4275 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Junkpile.7439 said:

@Taobella.6597 said:

guardian have teleport

Yes necro can run away if 5 necros hunt him. Trapper druid or norn race is safe bet.

I have seen a nec get ooc vs a theif before with spec walk back from 1k range and then summon wurm and consume. You forget theif dosnt always have 15/15 Initiative and shadow step up 24/7

• Sovereign.1093Sovereign.1093 Member ✭✭✭✭

Norn snow leapard can go stealth :3 one reason to go norn haha

Not Even Coverage is the Only broken thing in WVW.

• ferbz.6987ferbz.6987 Member ✭✭

@Junkpile.7439 said:

@Taobella.6597 said:

guardian have teleport

Yes necro can run away if 5 necros hunt him. Trapper druid or norn race is safe bet.

Made me laugh, good one.

• kash.9213kash.9213 Member ✭✭✭✭

You don't know their skill level while they're sizing you up. Take it easy and watch all of them while feinting and moving a bit to see what they're thinking so you can stagger out evades, blinds, and whatever when you need to. Try to keep them turning and facing at the pace you set and don't leave them an easy lane to run you down on, you want to move in a way that makes them have to keep adjusting to be in sure pull range instead of an all out run.

I probably watched them creeping around doing stuff for awhile and decided I don't want to mess around with one or two of them and now I'm tripping over my keys trying to warn you. I'm a thief but I'm still not trying to get chased around by 4 to 6 people.

Northern Shiverpeaks [EL] & [SD]

• Dawdler.8521Dawdler.8521 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2020

A thief taped to the back of another thief can escape in two different directions at once.

Dont look a gift Asura in the mouth.
    No seriously, dont. Shark teeth.

• KrHome.1920KrHome.1920 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2020

4-6 low-to-avarage skill enemies

Speed Rune Signet Reaper

I am doing this at least once a week to troll people. No one expects that this is possible. Extra style points for 180 degree direction changes with spectral walk porting into their back.

I've chased down shortbow teefs on that build. It's incredible.

Your corruptions and strips guarantee that your encounters can't make use of their own speed rune.

Clever resource management of your targets will ruin your day, but we are talking about "low-to-average skill" here, right?

• aleron.1438aleron.1438 Member ✭✭✭

@KrHome.1920 said:

Speed Rune Signet Reaper

I am doing this at least once a week to troll people. No one expects that this is possible. Extra style points for 180 degree direction changes with spectral walk porting into their back.

Your corruptions and strips guarantee that your encounters can't make use of their own speed rune.

Clever resource management of your targets will ruin your day, but we are talking about "low-to-average skill" here, right?

Kudos to you!
    Reassess, adapt, overcome

• Mikhael.2391Mikhael.2391 Member ✭✭✭

@KrHome.1920 said:

Speed Rune Signet Reaper

what build is that?

• Bezerker.2379Bezerker.2379 Member ✭✭✭

@Junkpile.7439 said:

@Taobella.6597 said:

guardian have teleport

Speed tunes reaper. Very possible between wurm and spectral walk to juke and outkite

• UNOwen.7132UNOwen.7132 Member ✭✭✭✭

On flat ground (i.e. no cliffs or stairs to port up), Warrior outruns even thief, while Ranger is probably about on par. Otherwise, Mesmers can if they can port up a few stairs, and Ele usually can disengage enough to mount up.

• Zepoolpe.9217Zepoolpe.9217 Member ✭✭
    edited June 14, 2020

@Junkpile.7439 said:

Try out Summon Flesh Wurm => get past the 1200 range => Spectral Walk => continue to run way (and now you can use the environment to your advantage (like going down cliffs) => just before the 10s limit hit Spectral Recall, then Necrotic Traversal right away, then see if many classes can follow you...
    If you are against a smart mesmer or necro , they would have activated their Portal Entre (if they have it equipped) or own Spectral Walk (usually a necro has it equipped) when you activated yours so they might keep up with you (and then only a mesmer can match your Necrotic Traversal with his Blink (again, if he has it equipped). As for the necro there is little chance he also placed his wurm close to yours (if he placed it at all)..
    Add Runes of Speed on top of that, plus some Death Charge (Shroud#2) if you are a reaper...

And that's only if the people chasing you have an inkling of the skills of other classes because there are some great chances that they will think that you have either Alt-F4 to avoid the fight or cheated.

• kamikharzeeh.8016kamikharzeeh.8016 Member ✭✭✭

the easiest are scrapper and warrior with the right set. scrapper can stealth out simply which works pretty often, warriors general mobility is great. druid ranger has some longer stealthing as well.

rev depends big time on what u have equipped.

• Vlad Morbius.1759Vlad Morbius.1759 Member ✭✭✭

@aaron.7850 said:
    Lets assume a scenario where you will be in wvw and 4-6 low-to-avarage skill enemies are going to chase you and try to kill you.

Besides thieves or mesmers with their stealth, which class/setup has the best chances to run away or last alive the longest? Considering there will be instances where they will catch-up and throw damaging abilities at you.

This is exactly what is wrong with balance...NO class should ever be able to get away from 5 people, period!

• ArchonWing.9480ArchonWing.9480 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2020

I prefer warrior because you can knock down/immob those that try to chase you and then keep going. Punching them in the face is also a good way of making them think twice as opposed to full on running.

Furthermore, Warrior has much counters to immob, which will ruin you.

• ASP.8093ASP.8093 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2020

If they're "bad," just having some basic movement buffs/skills and knowing the terrain is often enough.

Especially if you pull them off a cliff. >.>

• ASP.8093ASP.8093 Member ✭✭✭

@Vlad Morbius.1759 said:
    This is exactly what is wrong with balance...NO class should ever be able to get away from 5 people, period!

The thing you think you want would make for incredibly bad gameplay.

• kamikharzeeh.8016kamikharzeeh.8016 Member ✭✭✭

@Vlad Morbius.1759 said:

@aaron.7850 said:

on the long hand it depends on terrain usage too. no class can run forever, just some movement skills are better than others. depends also on the chasers reaction. if u mess up cc, you won't catch the few fast chars. if your opp activates stab and jump off a cliff owend by his color, you won't catch any class.

• TinkTinkPOOF.9201TinkTinkPOOF.9201 Member ✭✭✭✭

Thief and ranger will have the easiest time, and tend to have mobility and stealth baked into normal builds. Most classes can get away, but many can't in normal builds people run. Warrior can also run, but depends on the other classes not having much mobility, as warrior doesn't have stealth to mask the escape, which is the big thing, as thief and ranger can stealth and burn all their mobility skills and be far enough away to be OOC to mount up, double dodge, wait for mobility CDs, dismount, burn all CDs, remount and double dodge again etc etc.

Someone said mes, but meh, not so much, it has bursty mobility like guard, but not much of it and on long CD, it does have stealth though and it's big skill, that being blink doesn't need a target like guards JI does, and much like thief short bow, mes blink can blink up MANY areas that other teleport skills can't. So if they are in an area they can use this to their advantage, they indeed can get away but need to be aware of the terrain, so I would say mes can as well, but very situational, same with guard, if they are in an area they can port up or behind they can often get away, but anywhere else, probably not, big time if there is a thief, ranger or warrior chasing them. On thief or ranger, these are things I don't really need to think about, as disengage on both is very high, though of these two thief has the advantage of ports, not just leaps so it can also make use of vertical mobility as well.

All in all, if I am going to troll or just want a build I can get away on, I am going to be on thief.

"When you power creep the game and make it so that spam gameplay is nearly as effective as deep knowledge and nuance, the quality of players will decrease." -Exedore

• HAsAsIN.6724HAsAsIN.6724 Member ✭✭

my warrior can outrun 5 centaurs.

• Taobella.6597Taobella.6597 Member ✭✭✭

@Svarty.8019 said:

@Taobella.6597 said:

guardian have teleport

This is rubbish. How can 7+ people agree with it?

Guardian and Shiro can only teleport towards enemies (there isn't always a rabbit nearby).
    Necro can't use Spectral Walk to escape unless they've planned it and it's on very short duration.
    Ranger is the only one I agree with and that's probably that cheesy boonbeast thing that's supposedly been nerfed.
    Ele can mistform once while alive and once while dying, but mostly they can blink, heal themselves, cleanse themselves, to everything themselves, but they have to use incredible piano powers to do so, that's why most of them don't.
    Engi is probably in the same boat as ele, the ganking classes (ele, engi, mes, thief) seem quite similar: lots of skill required but if you can use them, you're godlike.

oh you are right i missed ele most ele use greatsword to run away.

• Why are you running and not fighting?

Random pug scum

• Fat Disgrace.4275Fat Disgrace.4275 Member ✭✭✭✭

@hallonknopp.6532 said:
    Why are you running and not fighting?

Coz enemy class is op

• Svarty.8019Svarty.8019 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2020

Oh, I forgot druid. Still OP in the right hands. But those hands are the hands of a virtuoso pianist, so nobody even tries.

It's ridiculous and elitist. Skill should not be a crutch.

Thief OP? Better nerf Scourge ... again.
    Hashtag BlameMcLain

• aspirine.6852aspirine.6852 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Taobella.6597 said:

guardian have teleport

Necro :D Yeah they are known for getting away during roaming......

• Taobella.6597Taobella.6597 Member ✭✭✭

@aspirine.6852 said:

@Taobella.6597 said:

guardian have teleport

Hey now i did not say it was a good plan but a plan is better then no plan :skull:

• Kylden Ar.3724Kylden Ar.3724 Member ✭✭✭✭

@hallonknopp.6532 said:
    Why are you running and not fighting?

Because he said he's being chased by 5. You don't fight 5 solo, no matter how good you are.

How many times we gotta tell you GRIND IS NOT CONTENT there ANet?

Leader of Tyrian Adventure Corp [TACO], [RaW][TACO] Alliance, Kaineng.

• Why not? What happens when you die in a game like this?

Random pug scum

• Swamurabi.7890Swamurabi.7890 Member ✭✭✭

@Taobella.6597 said:

@aspirine.6852 said:

@Taobella.6597 said:

guardian have teleport

Hey now i did not say it was a good plan but a plan is better then no plan :skull:

Necro has two plans. Fight and win or Run/Fight and respawn.

• Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Svarty.8019 said:

@Taobella.6597 said:

guardian have teleport

This is rubbish. How can 7+ people agree with it?

Ele can mistform once while alive and once while dying, but mostly they can blink, heal themselves, cleanse themselves, to everything themselves, but they have to use incredible piano powers to do so, that's why most of them don't.

Gotta argue with you about ele. First, The poster you quoted did not include Ele.

Though he should have:

Sword dagger ele. Add in lightening flash, firery great sword, keep arcane for the traitline and you can have almost Perma swiftness.

Those who actually play weaver are quite used to the skill swaps.. It’s challenging but needs to be learned.

I’ve found that only the most dedicated chasers will be able to catch you. And those are normally thieves built for speed, not necessarily built to kill you.

Thank You for the {MEME}

• Anyone with a mount. Find your desired direction, turn your camera so you're able to see behind you and run in autopilot and just dodge lances. Your character makes a pointing animation when throwing the Lance, making it super easy to dodge if you watch enemies.

• kmfart.7480kmfart.7480 Member ✭✭

@Vlad Morbius.1759 said:

In real life, i literally park my entire 30 man class in 100m sprint races... why is 5 ingame "a totally unacceptable thing"? LOL