Too Many Spirit Shards

About 4500. I'd really like a decent sink for them. Converting materials requires having/buying those materials, and it's generally not that useful/profitable except for specific T5/T6 mats, and even then the RNG ripoff potential is moderately high.

1000 spirit shards for a GoB, maybe? :3(I mean, I kid, but...)

Some once/day exchanges of hard to get materials wouldn't go amiss, and they don't have to be cheap, either: Amalgamated gemstones, Mystic Clovers, Mystic Coins, lodestones/doubloons, etc. Could be like the guild commendation vendor and rotate such items around per day.

Honestly, the limited buy/day system is one that ANet doesn't use enough to bleed off materials that have piled up, instead relying on Legendary gear, but that covers so few actual marketable materials.

Currently 7k plus 10 stacks of tomes, I've always felt spirit shards should have a vendor much like the black lion statuettes do, offering useful stuff, obviously I would expect to pay a large amount of spirit shards for lets say a total makeover kit, but I think we should have that option.

As with any currency or account-bound mat, the game mostly has people who have too many... or not enough. It's very difficult to actually be at par for very long.

• You'll end up with too much if you prefer activities that generate the 'currency' incidentally.
  • Otherwise, you'll end up with too little.

So many, many veterans are going to have way too many spirit shards to use. But folks just starting or those who couldn't be bothered to max their masteries might find themselves with too few for their goals. Anyone with too many is always going to want ANet to add more sinks that are useful to them; anyone with too few is going to wish for more faucets from content they prefer.

Currently, with over 6600 hours logged, I have amassed over 7000 Spirit Shards and over 5 stacks of tomes. Based on current gw2efficiency data, 50% of the players with more than 4000 hours played have 3800 or more shards, so my situation appears to be far from unique. One player even has over 61000 of them. The rate at which we gain shards and tomes vastly outpaces the rate at which many of us can use them. The existing options like material upgrading are overly tedious, or they're limited to very specific uses like legendary crafting which rarely occur for me, and based on the data, that is probably the case for many other players as well. I'd be very happy to see them add new uses for spirit shards that aren't so tedious or specific to legendary crafting.

@Kalendraf.9521 said:The existing options like material upgrading are overly tedious, or they're limited to very specific uses like legendary crafting which rarely occur for me, and that based on the data that is probably the case for many other players as well. I'd be very happy to see them add new uses for spirit shards that aren't so tedious or specific to legendary crafting.

Material conversion is also shackled to the price of the various tiers of dust and the end product. For some of the tiers the dust is expensive enough that it would obliterate any advantage from doing the conversion. You could just sell the dust you would have used/needed and get about the same results. Selling the dust is also much less tedious.

No idea how many spirit shards I have. Enough to not even consider cost when spending them. The only problem with adding new sinks is suddenly finding you don't have enough when you need them. We don't want them to be the new Mystic Coins. :lol: However it could make EXP buffs relevant for something other than when new masteries come out.

@Khisanth.2948 said:Material conversion is also shackled to the price of the various tiers of dust and the end product. For some of the tiers the dust is expensive enough that it would obliterate any advantage from doing the conversion. You could just sell the dust you would have used/needed and get about the same results. Selling the dust is also much less tedious.Exactly. Many of the limited options for shards are not only tedious but also unprofitable when the various costs (base materials and dust, TP fees, time wasted*) are factored together.

Time wasted = Opportunity cost of the time spent trying to upgrade materials instead of using that time to more easily earn gold by playing other content.

I am not hurting for them but know others that are. I wouldn't want to go back to the days where looping 80 didn't grant one but adding in other things that use them isn't a bad idea, but it might impact those that are already low if its a must have addition versus interesting nice to have one.

@JDub.1530 said:No idea how many spirit shards I have. Enough to not even consider cost when spending them. The only problem with adding new sinks is suddenly finding you don't have enough when you need them. We don't want them to be the new Mystic Coins. :lol: However it could make EXP buffs relevant for something other than when new masteries come out.

There are two major reasons why spirit shards aren't comparable to Mystic Coins. First, the shards are not tradable. Second, the rate of gaining shards is limited only by how fast you can gain experience and tomes. Based on my rate of gaining shards (69 in the last 9 days per gw2efficiency which is an avg of ~7.66 per day), they could easily add some new sinks that consume up to 50 spirit shards per week, and I would still have way too many. Even if I spent 150 per week (while continuing to gain ~7.66 per day), it would take me over a year to blow through my current stockpile.

They would have to make the new shard sinks be quite expensive (similar in cost to a bloodstone shard which is intended to be an expensive portion crafting of a legendary) or make them cheaper but not be time-gated to have much of an impact.

@Kalendraf.9521 said:

@JDub.1530 said:No idea how many spirit shards I have. Enough to not even consider cost when spending them. The only problem with adding new sinks is suddenly finding you don't have enough when you need them. We don't want them to be the new Mystic Coins. :lol: However it could make EXP buffs relevant for something other than when new masteries come out.

There are two major reasons why spirit shards aren't comparable to Mystic Coins. First, the shards are not tradable. Second, the rate of gaining shards is limited only by how fast you can gain experience and tomes. Based on my rate of gaining shards (69 in the last 9 days per gw2efficiency which is an avg of ~7.66 per day), they could easily add some new sinks that consume up to 50 spirit shards per week, and I would still have way too many. Even if I spent 150 per week (while continuing to gain ~7.66 per day), it would take me over a year to blow through my current stockpile.

They would have to make the new shard sinks be quite expensive (similar in cost to a bloodstone shard which is intended to be an expensive portion crafting of a legendary) or make them cheaper but not be time-gated to have much of an impact.

Sure they're comparable. Most people currently have a huge surplus of spirit shards, just like mystic coins used to be (I was looking for ways to get rid of my mystic coins back in the day). And a new sink could put them in a state where people complain there aren't enough sources to obtain them.

If they do add a new sink, it will have to have a significant downward pressure on the amount of spirit shards out there. But I suppose they could add a spirit shard eater into the game, which you can choose to use or not.

The number of coins you can earn during a month is capped to a relatively low number. Also the fact that you can buy and sell mystic coins means that there is a balancing market for them in place outside of their sinks. Neither of those are true for shards and those are huge differences. As a result, even if they added new sinks, the behavior between mystic coins and spirit shards will continue to be vastly different.

Archived