Guild Wars 2 left out of gamers choice awards mmorpg category... Any idea why?

Einsof.1457

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to WIkipedia's list of MMORPGs there's dozens of games which are still active and which aren't in that list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massively_multiplayer_online_role-playing_games

I've never paid much attention to awards like this for games but I know ones for music are always fairly arbitrary. It's almost never practical to include all the possible candidates, or even all the ones their audience is likely to think of. Sometimes they use some sort of criteria to narrow it down, like they must have released something in the last year or must have been featured in an earlier 'contest'/rating (e.g. all the candidates for Album of the Year will be former winners of 'album of the month') and sometimes it seems like they just got together and picked their favourites or whatever they imagine are the most popular.

I remember once Total Guitar magazine did one of their 'Worlds Best Rock Guitarists' features and missed Slash from Guns N' Roses/Velvet Revolver. No one noticed until after it was published and then when they asked the editor why he was missing his answer was "Oh kitten" - they actually ran an apology in the next issue!

Not that it matters because the voting is usually equally arbitrary. There was one poll on the best classic rock bands which was actually honest enough to announce the winner as "the band with the most tech-savvy fans capable of running a voting bot". (And yes there are people who care about these things enough to seek out online polls and write or adapt a bot to vote for their favourite as many times as possible.)

@"Danikat.8537" said:I know ones for music are always fairly arbitrary.Nearly all awards are strictly marketing for the studios. It's especially true in gaming and music, only slightly less so in Hollywood.

It's not "meaningless," because winning (and sometimes just a nomination) mean big money for the producers. And it's very rare that winners (or even nominees) are anything less than "very good." But it's meaningless from the sense of "this award tells us something about what games are best." Most of the time, they don't even really tell us what the voters think are best, just who had the best "for your consideration" campaign.

Or in other words, it's worse than arbitrary: the results are skewed toward whoever spent the most money to win.

For more, there's an episode of Adam Ruins Everything that covers this:

i was always more fps gamer. but because battlefield 1 is so awesome i play more other genre games. i mean. normally i play fps games and then sometimes an mmo. but battlefield 1 have bad thing. the anti cheat is bad. and game ruined by cheaters. it’s server side and not client side. i want punk buster back. and ppl with so high ping ruin everything in fps games. so unfair. so because of this i play more guildwars 2 then battlefield. and i didn’t bought battlefield v because of this. no interest anymore in battlefield. but as kid i always played call of duty. and got call of duty black ops 4 with new gpu. long ago i had so much fun in fps. i like run and gun. but it’s bad in battlefield 1. open maps. campers sweet spot. and dice force us to play objective... a battlefield fanboy said that noobs play call of duty. i said battlefield player are so skilled that dice created ammo crates and med crates in the field because player play their role. he said i was right. xD. now guildwars 2 is my main game. still fun :)

Just because a game doesn't end up on the list of some nonsense award show doesn't mean it's bad. My favorite ARPG, Grim Dawn, ain't up there. My favorite FPS franchise, Doom (namely classic and 2016), ain't up there.

Sure, Guild Wars 2 has its flaws. What game doesn't? At the same time, its lack of inclusion doesn't mean it's a bad/dead game either. As IWN pointed out, those award things are more or less determined by whoever throws the most money around. I'd rather Anet save and use their money to invest in making GW2 a better product than trying to win some semi-rigged popularity contest.

The game awards? Only good for comedic value.

Remember folks this is the same game awards that last year ran overwatch for ‘best ongoing game’ when it had barely been out a year with little to no content vs several veteran games like war frame that surpass overwatch in players now after 6 years growing.

The game awards are a joke, just like metacritic pressuring developers to inject sjw agendas into their game to get contracts and publicity with their sites.

@"ProtoGunner.4953" said:That's a shame, I think GW2 gets less and less popular. It's just not mentioned. Many people name BDO, Elder Scrolls or FFXIV aside WoW. GW2 is left out. BTW SWTOR isn't there as well..

ArenaNet needs to get more serious with it's advertising and pushing the property out there. The contest stuff is ok but contests come and go then people forget. They need to put out ads that people will remember. They also need to start branching out into books and media like web videos that fill in pieces of the story. I think if they really tried they could push into TV and movies but they have to have the will to push the envelope. Statues and contests are just odd curiosities that are easily forgotten.

In game I also think they need to have new "non-commander" personal story paths. The game as it stands is way to hard coded to the commander's story. There are plenty of other stories that could be told. I'd like to see them put a bit of a gap in between LWS4 and 5 to revamp core Tyria to make things far more enduring in the long term. They could push out more current events not connected to the main story to keep players occupied. Pirate attacks on Claw Island surrounding islands would be a good current event easily made. I think core Tyria needs to be brought into the current timeline with period specific stuff only tied to player characters who haven't finished the personal story.

Archived