The Forum's "confused" reaction [Merged]

misterman.1530

On 9/13/2021 at 9:36 AM, misterman.1530 said:

So, what do people mean when they select the "confused" reaction? Do they mean that the post was unclear and they couldn't figure out what the poster meant? Or does it mean that the post had too many words with more than 2 syllables and/or complex words?

I see it used quite often and wondered what the general intent was: because from my perspective it speaks more to a lack of comprehension of the person reacting than it does the quality of many of the posts on which I see it used. But maybe it's being used for a different reason. 

....oh...and queue the comedians who will use the "confused" reaction to this post.... :classic_biggrin:

its the closest thing to a disagree/ thumb down option

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

7 minutes ago, Miragen.6127 said:

A better way to disagree is to give an actual opinion or argument as to why you disagree with something.. just disagreeing without explaining why is entirely pointless.

Ye, I stated this already, was met with: "I don't have time to replay" and "you should know why I disagree". Reddit warriors keeps on redditing 

• Confused 7

2 hours ago, Zaraki.5784 said:

How can you do that?

It's a bit buried. Go to Account Settings, then on the right hand side, go to Notification Settings, then click the Mentions and My Content box. It'll drop down into a notification options for Mentions & My Content and then finally, another separate option for notifications for Reactions.

On 9/24/2022 at 8:53 PM, Sir Alymer.3406 said:

And now we can effectively ignore reactions as you can set it up so they don't give you notifications.

Thank **** for that. They were so irritating and dumb. >_>

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

On 9/13/2021 at 8:48 PM, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

Receiving those emojis means someone has read your post, thought about it and has made themselves an opinion about it.

Yeah, suuuure. I have once wrote a post in a certain thread, posted it, refreshed the page (took me maybe 2 seconds of all that), and saw 5 confused emojis under that post. It was a long post - there's no way someone read and understood it in 2 seconds.

I have also once had all of my (many) posts in one thread downvoted in between one refresh of the page and another. It was a long thread, with a lot of posts, so again, no time for someone to read through it with understanding, downvoting those posts they disagreed with.

In the latter case, it theoretically could be caused by multiple posters reading the same thread at the same time, and reacting to different posts (although, honestly, what are the chances of every single of my posts getting exactly one confuse in a short time interval due to that?). In the former case however, there's no such explanation - it was clearly just a number of someones clicking confuse button as soon as they noticed a post, without even reading it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

6 hours ago, Arnox.5128 said:

It's a bit buried. Go to Account Settings, then on the right hand side, go to Notification Settings, then click the Mentions and My Content box. It'll drop down into a notification options for Mentions & My Content and then finally, another separate option for notifications for Reactions.

Thank **** for that. They were so irritating and dumb. >_>

Thanks you for info!

• Confused 3

11 hours ago, Super Hayes.6890 said:

Please let this thread rest 🥺 It's extremely tired...

I think you can understand that I find it ironic that you post in a thread that you want to die out.

-------

As for the topic:

It's clear that people use the confused icon as a dislike. The question then becomes why Anet, with their focus on keeping things positive and constructive here, still allows that. I'm genuinely curious actually.

My best guess is that they see it as a lesser evil, because they probably would have to intervene more often if it didn't exist. It allows you to show your dislike without having to type a reply and in some cases that may be better that way.

And officially it's still not a dislike, if you catch my meaning. 😉

Edited by Gehenna.3625
  • Confused 3

55 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I am not sure how a tiny emoji at the bottom of a page is supposed to detract from my ability to read an idea or someone's comment on that idea. Is there a setting that some posters accidentally have set so that the emojis cover the text of the posts?

It gives people an excuse to not engage with the post. And to "respond" even when they have nothing sensible to say.

Generally, when someone adds a confuse message without responding to the post itself, it means one of two things: either the post was so bad it didn't even merit a response, or the responder could not think of any good counterargument. And the first case is relatively rare, and easily identifiable.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 3
  • Confused 5

2 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I am not sure how a tiny emoji at the bottom of a page is supposed to detract from my ability to read an idea or someone's comment on that idea. Is there a setting that some posters accidentally have set so that the emojis cover the text of the posts?

Ever heard of first impressions?

You're more likely to negatively percieve the post, or not even read it if it's long, if it has a lot of negative emojis on it or "dislikes".

It's a form of manipulation to dislike every post of the poster you're arguing with, as a way of skewing the argument in your favor.

And if you have buddies that do it to your "opponent" too, everyone that reads your conversation will see that person A has 5 confused emojis, but person B (who had their buddies bomb every post from person A with confused emojis), has only likes and maybe 1 confused emoji.

Now how does that look? 

You can read the long winded conversation yourself of course, weigh each persons argument carefully,  wasting your time, or you can "go with the flow of the majority" and just assume person A is wrong, therefore person B wins the argument.

So no matter how good person A's argument is - at first glance (which is enough for most people) - it'll seem invalid and not worth your time.

EDIT: Oh, and if this post doesn't get at least 5 confused emojis i'm going to be disappointed... 
Everyone in this tread got one, i want them too! 😛 

Edited by Veprovina.4876
  • Like 1
  • Confused 6