The Mechanist - new engineer EoD elite spec

Jijimuge.4675

4 minutes ago, Bomboed.5697 said:

I hope Anet will announce a rework of AI of pets during showcase stream. And I hope they will make a lot of changes for Core Engi as well (especially for turrets).

Without these changes this spec is doomed to be unviable in all game modes except open world. Which is sad and bad.

They did make a point of saying they're reallocating more people into specific balance-changing roles after EoD releases, so we'll get balance patches more often and maybe even see some reworks.

5 hours ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

Amazing looking spec, a real attention grabber.

I think people is missing that if you get command skills like the ranger for their pets, its already superior to what necromancers have.

You say that, but don't appreciate just how bad the pet ai in this game is.
Here's hoping the player has a good amount of control over the functionality of the mech, seeing as the entire spec is revolved around it.
I do think it'd be neat if the elite skill is hopping into the mech for a bit, perhaps comparable to lich form. I suspect it'll just be a big AoE attack/effect from the mech, though.

This spec's got my attention for sure.

~ Kovu

Just now, Touchme.1097 said:

Those are strictly Asura skills, the other races have no access to them.

Seem like they will with the Mechanist. We can even expect a better uptime... Serie 7 job is to do something close to the lazer beam and D-series do the exact same projectile hate bubble. So it's basically akin to make asura elite skills available to all races.

I also hate how second e-spec in a row has flashy over the top sci-fi visuals. I mean, for me GW2 was always a fantasy world with steampunkish elements in term of technologies. And when I started to play Engi I wanted to see bombs, clockwork devices, alchemy and gunpowder guns.
At first, Scrapper was great thematically. It felt like an engineer, it added some lighting "tesla" elements to the class theme.
But then was Holo.... And now Mechanist. Both with lasers, beams and other stuff that feels, looks and sounds like magic.

All classes remain their thematic and visual integrity. And only Engi has specs, that ruin his integrity.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Bomboed.5697 said:

I hope Anet will announce a rework of AI of pets during showcase stream. And I hope they will make a lot of changes for Core Engi as well (especially for turrets).

Without these changes this spec is doomed to be unviable in all game modes except open world. Which is sad and bad.

Yo, I'm not really a Engi main and I have very little experience playing it, but I do have a lot of experience playing against Engineers, and I really doubt this statement is fair at all.

At least not on competitive modes. In WvW Scrapper is god tier and the go-to support alongside guardian. You don't see squads without Scrappers, in fact some commanders experience problems because it isn't a popular class and you can't get as many engis as you often need.

As for both PvP and WvW roaming, both flamethrower scrapper and grenade scrapper and Holo are really strong. I will never forget being oneshot by a invisible engineer while also finishing me while invulnerable, leaving me with 0 counterplay.

Edited by Telgum.6071
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Telgum.6071 said:

Yo, I'm not really a Engi main and I have very little experience playing it, but I do have a lot of experience playing against Engineers, and I really doubt this statement is fair at all.

At least not on competitive modes. In WvW Scrapper is god tier and the go-to support alongside guardian. You don't see squads without Scrappers, in fact some commanders experience problems because it isn't a popular class and you can't get as many engis as you often need.

As for both PvP and WvW roaming, both flamethrower scrapper and grenade scrapper and Holo are really strong. I will never forget being oneshot by a invisible engineer while also finishing me while invulnerable, leaving me with 0 counterplay.

Why are you talking about scrapper, when discussion is about AI?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, iKeostuKen.2738 said:

Anet just gave us borderlands Moze

Only if the golem is able to solo raid bosses.

38 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

So it's basically akin to make asura elite skills available to all races.

Except for the power suit which they could have made available if they would have offered endless battle tonic versions of the DRM ally support transformations.

Edited by Tails.9372

Oh well... pet spec it is. Not gonna lie, was really hoping for something else but got to admit that the golem is very flashy. I also was hoping for dual Mace to not be locked into either Pistol or Shield OH. But I'll wait and see until tomorrow for further judgement.

I haven't had time to read the whole thread so other people might have mentioned it already. But some observations/thoughts based on the trailer and the additional information of getting Signets:

• Considering F4 bugged out, Golem is probably going to replace Toolbelts. Yes, Medkit could be problematic. But that just means that Medkit won't be the heal to go for the Mechanist. I don't see this as a major issue. There are plenty other options. I'm more interested wether Kinetic Battery will get an ICD if F1 becomes "Attack!".
  • Signets could be Jade-based as well to justify why Engineers suddenly gain this magical type of Utility. It is also another hint that we won't have Toolbelt skills because otherwise Signets would basically have two actives.
  • The golem arms seem to have 3 load outs ("fists", blades, cannons or pistols). We don't see them switch forms within the trailer which could mean that those are the visual representation of available GM traits (Melee vs. Ranged vs. Support).
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bomboed.5697 said:

I also hate how second e-spec in a row has flashy over the top sci-fi visuals. I mean, for me GW2 was always a fantasy world with steampunkish elements in term of technologies. And when I started to play Engi I wanted to see bombs, clockwork devices, alchemy and gunpowder guns.
At first, Scrapper was great thematically. It felt like an engineer, it added some lighting "tesla" elements to the class theme.
But then was Holo.... And now Mechanist. Both with lasers, beams and other stuff that feels, looks and sounds like magic.

All classes remain their thematic and visual integrity. And only Engi has specs, that ruin his integrity.

I have to disagree with you. I love the Engineer in GW2 because it's class fantasy isn't JUST steampunk, and I honestly didn't even become interested in playing it until Holosmith. (Though I probably have more time on Scrapper than Holo now.) Engineer's integrity isn't ruined because their technology is advancing- if anything, it adds to their class fantasy that they have so much access to superior technology compared to everyone else.

It's always annoyed me that Asura have such pretty, elegant technology but Engineer is so steeped in ugly, Charr tech that our base aesthetics have stuck there.

Edited by tesnow.4721
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tesnow.4721 said:

I have to disagree with you. I love the Engineer in GW2 because it's class fantasy isn't JUST steampunk, and I honestly didn't even become interested in playing it until Holosmith. (Though I probably have more time on Scrapper than Holo now.) Engineer's integrity isn't ruined because they're technology is advancing- if anything, it adds to their class fantasy that they have so much access to superior technology compared to everyone else.

It's always annoyed me that Asura have such pretty, elegant technology but Engineer is so steeped in ugly, Charr tech that our base aesthetics have stuck there.

I don't mind the more stylish tech either (I also play Asura) and enjoy when it's not pure steampunk
I do mind how BIG it appears to be and how much visual stuff is going on with the animations. 

• Like 2

Whoa. This looks amazing, and the name is great...and my asura engineer is screaming in joy right now at the thought of getting his very own golem. But it's the golem that worries me. Not because of how the spec will play (I think that's awesome), but because of all the visual clutter. Imagine several engis with their golems in PVP or WVW...or world bosses/meta events. It's going to be difficult to discern which one is your golem in the storm of identical golems. (Being able to customize its appearance...may or may not make the problem worse.)

That, and it's a little disheartening to see people repeatedly asking for an option to turn down/off visual clutter, like other peoples' visual effects, and ArenaNet to essentially respond, "That's great - here's MORE sparkles and light shows and gigantic visual effects and stuff!! ...that's what you guys wanted, right?"

Edited by Batel.9206

37 minutes ago, Batel.9206 said:

That, and it's a little disheartening to see people repeatedly asking for an option to turn down/off visual clutter, like other peoples' visual effects, and ArenaNet to essentially respond, "That's great - here's MORE sparkles and light shows and gigantic visual effects and stuff!! ...that's what you guys wanted, right?"

Judging by what I see waiting at meta events, maybe the people who like all the light shows are the ones actually funding the game.

I mean, you're not wrong. It's getting harder and harder to see things clearly. But the sparkly glowy seems to be making the gem store ka-ching. And well, as they say...

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 2

All positive comments: "Whoah, it is so flashy and shiny and looks cool, can't wait to play it!"
All negative comments: "Anet has bad track record with AI, so pet-based spec is doomed to be bad"

This tells a lot about our society.

Edited by Bomboed.5697
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, Bomboed.5697 said:

All positive comments: "Whoah, it is so flashy and shiny and looks cool, can't wait to play it!"
All negative comments: "Anet has bad track record with AI, so pet-based spec is doomed to be bad"

This tells a lot about our society.

Your hasty conclusion could tell a lot about society.

The track record isn't just "bad", it has also never had a single bump of improvement in all these years. There could have been a healthy debate if upgrades were made within this track record. Instead it will all come down to if there were upgrades with the coming of this expansion. That's very, very slim in terms of chance.

You could take on the highest percentage bet, be skeptical, like most of the "ermagerd negative" people and end up either unphased or pleasantly surprised. Or you could be fiercly confident, take the lowest percentage bet and end up satisfied at the risk of being disappointed and, given the amount of emotions pumped into that debate, throw a tantrum.

I find the spec potentially cool, I want it to work of course, but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by MrForz.1953
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think this specialization compared to the other EoD specs fits it's own class the most thematically and I honestly saw this one coming. The Engineer having a robotic pet is one of the last few spots we could fill for the class in my opinion. And honestly, of all 9 specializations we received, this one just feels like it's got the most potential because it's more "straight to the point" but at the same time having complexity. It's got a clear identity of what it's trying to be: An Engineer with a "customizable" golem pet. Whether or not the specialization is going to be good in PvE, Raids, WvW, whatever, I think this is awesome in the fantasy aspect, and that is good enough for me. And probably the only specialization that I have been impressed with in EoD, even if it is still a trailer to be fair.

(Everything below this is vent and you can ignore.)

However the amount of elitism presented here is rather baffling. Players complaining about "A.I" and repeating phrases like "but Open World players would be ok with it I guess" like if Open World players belong in the bottom of the barrel in this community is toxic. And also a bit ironic. This game's MAIN FOCUS, whether you like it or not, is it's Open World. It's where the game's story takes place, whether you like it or not, and has been this way since the first game. PvP content since the first game has always been surprisingly good, but I always just saw it as an addition to the main game and it always had it's ups and downs. Not every class was equally viable in high end PvP and not every class was equally viable EVEN in high end PvE. Warrior's were one of the worst classes you could play in PvE, and a Ritualist Spirit Spammer, a pet heavy build, was one of the most powerful. But Warrior was basically in every high end PvP team and you would never see pet builds in PvP. But that didn't stop you from running Ritualist as a healer. Or Necro for Curses support. Each class will excel in different content and I am not expecting each class to fulfill every role. And hey, yeah I might also play mostly Open World, but I  can tell you that no you can't just make any build and it just works. You try running Zerker Sword Weaver and try to solo most content vs running Celestial Sword Weaver lol. And I can also tell you that some classes far excel in Open World compared to others but you probably already knew that.

This is a fantasy, open world game. And Mechanist ,to me, looks like the best looking out of the 9 specs by far thematically. If you have expectations on what a class should or shouldn't be because of PvP then sorry if this is toxic as I am not trying to be, but have you considered playing a more PvP focused game? Like a MOBA or perhaps TF2 ( a PvP game that also has an engineer that builds "pets" and is one of the most played classes there ironically).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

How you interact with your Mechs will be the key. But it has potential because if you have the ability to command where your Mech should be positioned or the area where they are together with the type of Mech, either melee or range and the skills they have... Imagine that you can even change its behaviour and the skills it use on demand.  That would already give you a strategic depth that so far that not has been seen, since the AI that you invoke for now in the game, despite being either ranged or melee, they go at will even if you can command some special skill of them.

Being able to move yourself to the range that interests you at all times and move your Mech to cover you at the same time... That is something that does not exist yet in the game and could be key so that even the criticized AI could end being very useful in various game modes. As much as some cry or would cry about it.

At the moment, I'm a bit skeptical but, at the same time, I'm happy to see that it can add something new to the game. Now it's a matter of discover how effective it can be and how it will evolve/develop from now until the expansion's release.

Edited by Zoser.7245
  • Like 4

ANet made a winner with this one. I don't even have an engie and I'm impressed with the detail and thematic of this spec. Even if the pet AI is clunky at first that can be ironed out. I love the overall presentation and it's making me consider rolling an engie. Thus far war and engie look like the best specs. I don't know who worked on this, but hot kitten I wish that guy was assigned to ele, thief, and mes because all those specs suck in my opinion. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

3 hours ago, Phazon.3975 said:

I think this specialization compared to the other EoD specs fits it's own class the most thematically and I honestly saw this one coming. The Engineer having a robotic pet is one of the last few spots we could fill for the class in my opinion. And honestly, of all 9 specializations we received, this one just feels like it's got the most potential because it's more "straight to the point" but at the same time having complexity. It's got a clear identity of what it's trying to be: An Engineer with a "customizable" golem pet. Whether or not the specialization is going to be good in PvE, Raids, WvW, whatever, I think this is awesome in the fantasy aspect, and that is good enough for me. And probably the only specialization that I have been impressed with in EoD, even if it is still a trailer to be fair.

Totally agree with this paragraph, I don't even play Engineer and this specialization seems the most attractive to me, to the point I just made an Engineer and leveled it to 80 with exp tomes. Looking forward to play Mechanist in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1