Untamed Feedback Thread

Fire Attunement.9835

19 minutes ago, The Boz.2038 said:

Yeah, can read them now.

These are good. Why the 3%/1% difference between strike and condi in Symbiosis, tho?

Well, 1% is better than the 0% anet’s original ferocious symbiosis had, tho these are just suggesting based on what I think the traits should be reworked to as currently they are a mess. Balance wise, the numbers can be changed to whatever makes it more balanced as a whole.

On 2/10/2022 at 1:23 AM, anduriell.6280 said:

Untamed is Core with extra manual steps. Thematically adds nothing to core. Lore wise is based in some dude traps somewhere for which I am not even very sure who is that. I don't even get what has to do the "toxic theme" with anything the untamed does or even the class itself. 

Soulbeast and Druid are more interesting mechanically and lore wise, it just wasn't developed or explained much at all in the game. Even the animations are so much better in those 2. 

I mean I guess, but I didn't expect anything cool to come from ranger. The last cool thing was launch druid; Which was then nerfed into being what it is today. 

Honestly I was disappointed in PoF and Im the same here, just excited for the new pets.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 12:37 PM, StrangeSelcouth nz.9256 said:

I was hoping for a main rifle spec - "bounty-hunter" style - spec.... it would of fit with the technology of Cantha. Aggressive medium to close ranged combat, bunch of immobilize skills, with plenty of dodges or stealth.. 

I agree many were looking forward to rifle. To me the whole hammer trip they are on and that includes with ele, is fail. I wont play it because it makes no sense really in gameplay, just to make a meme spec because of the old bunny thumper. Well that was nothing like this and it was a one trick pony. A rifle would have been more useful and worked much better. 

• Like 3

Why all this focus on a pet?  It's already been done better with a SB.  I get it now--it's for PvE.  Yawn.  We are "RANGE"-ers.  Give us another ranged option.  When?  At this rate never.  First we got a stick, now a hammer.  Yay. 

Edited by Lucy.9743
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lucy.9743 said:

I get it now--it's for PvE. 

It's very much not, lol. It's absolutely more of a PvP-oriented spec than PvE, in the same way Spellbreaker was/is. Whether or not it accomplishes that is a different story.

3 hours ago, Lucy.9743 said:

We are "RANGE"-ers. 

Ranger doesn't and has never meant archer/marksman/shooter. Aragorn is a ranger.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Lucy.9743 said:

Why all this focus on a pet?  It's already been done better with a SB.  I get it now--it's for PvE.  Yawn.  We are "RANGE"-ers.  Give us another ranged option.  When?  At this rate never.  First we got a stick, now a hammer.  Yay. 

If anything its for spvp. its useless in pve.

• Like 1

I'm confused about the Phoenix pet. It has a fire breath attack that looks like a laser but does no fire condi, the sweep is incredibly slow, the wing attack is a slow windup too and and this one has no regeneration like most traditional phoenixes. Very confused about this type of Phoenix. It might be a "ferocious" type, for whatever reason, but if you tacked on some fire condi and regen I think that'd be fine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HotDelirium.7984 said:

I'm confused about the Phoenix pet. It has a fire breath attack that looks like a laser but does no fire condi, the sweep is incredibly slow, the wing attack is a slow windup too and and this one has no regeneration like most traditional phoenixes. Very confused about this type of Phoenix. It might be a "ferocious" type, for whatever reason, but if you tacked on some fire condi and regen I think that'd be fine.

It's a Chinese Phoenix, aka a Fenghuang, not an Egyptian/Western Phoenix. It's kind'a similar to how we call the Chinese Long a dragon even though their dragons aren't associated with fire and aren't servants of the devil or bringers of chaotic destruction.

Fenghuang isn't associated with reincarnation and while it has some fire associations it isn't specifically a being of fire like the phoenix. They symbolize luck and rule over all other birds while serving as the feminine opposite to the dragon. It only appears in places blessed by the highest levels of peace and happiness and as such is a symbol of good fortune.

They didn't have fire powers in GW1 either. Though I also don't recall them shooting frickin' laser beams out of their beaks! If I had to guess that is meant to be some kind of celestial energy rather than fire. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The effects are so, so, so ugly. I literally can't get past the slime veins long enough to give the spec a real try. I was genuinely shocked that it was not just a placeholder effect for the beta.

Why not a nice glowy ground effect under the pet or ranger that makes it clear when it is active? Or just a particle effect like soulbeast? Anything other than turning us into booger monsters?

Not to mention all the pet issues that have been discussed at length. But I'm just stuck in the goo. It's gross. I hate it. Looking at the amazing, detailed, beautiful effects on mesmer and thief and wondering: devs, what ranger hurt you?

I know people had issues with the soulbeast effect but it's 10000x better than untamed. Will be sticking with SB for now.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Ehecatl.9172 said:

It's a Chinese Phoenix, aka a Fenghuang, not an Egyptian/Western Phoenix. It's kind'a similar to how we call the Chinese Long a dragon even though their dragons aren't associated with fire and aren't servants of the devil or bringers of chaotic destruction.

you misleading peep, you should feel ashamed.  

Let's start from the beginning this is a Chinese (which gw1 may or may not based on) definition of phoenix: 

https://www.britannica.com/topic/fenghuang

So it is immortal and represent the ultimate power as such the emperor. 

As such any in this game the pet should have an extremely OP AoE and also low CD resurrections in the F3 would be expected. I would not complain about that, because cultural reasons.

Now you want to push the game boundaries that is fine still phoenix in any culture is shown as an immortal being, being impossible to restrict or impossible to defeat.

So as game play in GW2 I would do some changes but the the resurrections thing would be implied. Fire damage or not although fire damage it is in most of them . 

You peeps trying to bring the ranger down... Your are doing the wrong thing.  Let me tell you what will most probably happen if following your hate towards the ranger class thinking thread:

* Anet will nerf soulbeast because they wanna push the expansion spec .

* Most main ranger players will feel betrayed and they will stop playing the game, the game is not in a very healthy state at the moment as even PVE maps are empty unless some  random streamer brings his own guild to do Metas .That's why you have some streamer guilds working 24/7.  You can watch that happening already this is the first step into failure. And you can not expect this extra effort from he guildies  to last for long. 

* Anet will compensate creating a very toxic, very disgusting untamed build, similar to bunker druid. Nobody wants that. Except Anet devs with their knowledge about mechanics and ignoring any advise they will do this again. Again

* Whining in PVP and WVW sub forums will make Anet reconsider. May them destroy Unplayed and reset the cycle or they may push the reset back and try to fix it it does not matter, from a design perspective Unplayed is binary the same as Druid.

This is all happening again, we need somebody that understand ranger (not me btw i am bias in my thinking) balancing the class.

Anybody that thinks "untamed is hard mode so it's cool" please do not consider. I play Elder Rings  or a mobile cash grab if I want to be in a disadvantage against other players. 

Edited by anduriell.6280
  • Confused 3

40 minutes ago, anduriell.6280 said:

you misleading peep, you should feel ashamed.  

Let's start from the beginning this is a Chinese (which gw1 may or may not based on) definition of phoenix: 

https://www.britannica.com/topic/fenghuang

So it is immortal and represent the ultimate power as such the emperor. 

As such any in this game the pet should have an extremely OP AoE and also low CD resurrections in the F3 would be expected. I would not complain about that, because cultural reasons.

Now you want to push the game boundaries that is fine still phoenix in any culture is shown as an immortal being, being impossible to restrict or impossible to defeat.

So as game play in GW2 I would do some changes but the the resurrections thing would be implied. Fire damage or not although fire damage it is in most of them .

Being immortal and reincarnating are different things. The whole "live long, die in fire, and be reborn as a chick" isn't a thing Fenghuang does. That's why even your link says Fenghuang is MISLEADINGLY called a phoenix. It doesn't have many traits in common with our Western idea of a phoenix beyond superficial similarities.

I'd also disagree that being representative of the emperor's authority should mean it needs a super OP AoE. Fenghuang is a symbol of peace and prosperity. If anything it probably should have been a support pet rather than have its weird laser blast attack.

But this isn't really the thread to have a discussion about the thematic characteristics of a specific pet and what we think it should do based on the mythology of the creature. I was just pointing out that the phoenix in GW2 is a Fenghuang, and that is why it isn't a flaming bird with fire explosion attacks.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Ehecatl.9172 said:

Being immortal...

I was going to answer your very informative comment but then I realized you are probably dude in the US with your own ideas of what Asia culture is. 

So good for you, enjoy it. I gave you an official link for English peeps  and I can confirm that one is a very accurate description of the Chinese phoenix as far as my knowledge of the Chinese culture goes (not far btw as it is a very complex topic, I just know basics ) .  

Deal with it. 

• Confused 3

1 minute ago, anduriell.6280 said:

I was going to answer your very informative comment but then I realized you are probably dude in the US with your own ideas of what Asia culture is. 

So good for you, enjoy it. I gave you an official link for English peeps  and I can confirm that one is a very accurate description of the Chinese phoenix as far as my knowledge of the Chinese culture goes (not far btw as it is a very complex topic, I just know basics ) .  

Deal with it. 

Your link says nothing about reincarnation or being reborn when killed. Also I don't see how you feel you can condescend me while admitting you only know the basics of Chinese culture yourself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenghuang

Since you like links so much why not have another? This one also makes no mention of bursting into flames and being reborn.

So since you've decided to immediately resort to ad hominem why don't you show me a source that backs up what you're claiming the Fenghuang does?

https://chipperbirds.com/fenghuang-bird/

Collective mythologies surrounding the Bird suggest that the Fenghuang is an immortal bird. Unlike the phoenix of the west which ages, dies and is reborn, the Fenghuang Bird simply lives forever. 

Because this link straight out says what I am saying.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I did search to see if this had been brought up, didn't find it, so excuse me if it is out there somewhere.

Probably a minor "art" issue in the mind of some folks, but the "Exploding Spores" need to be a different color in game.  Attacks from allies should never be in colors that we've come to associate with damage to our characters.  I suspect this goes for other skills also (haven't played all the new specs yet).

I am so tired of dropping the spores, and having melee allies go dodging out of it because they think it is an attack on them, wasting a dodge in the process. I've taken it off my skill bar.  We can hope they'll get used to it, but one never knows because exploding spore-type attacks HAVE been used on us in the past.

Maybe it's a crap skill, and we wouldn't be using it anyway once the builds get sorted out, but it's the idea in general that we should never question visually if an attack is against us or our target because they chose to use established skins for something.

• Like 3

I do like the playstyle of the Untamed and am glad that he finally got some more impressive visual skills like the new pet skills and cantrips.

The problem I see is that his only role is being a dps. So far the best dps with a hammer is:

start in pet-unleashed mode -> press f1,f2,f3 -> swap to unleashed mode -> use new ambush skills -> use your utilities and weapon skills -> wait until the ambush is ready again -> swap to pet-unleashed -> use f1,f2,f3 -> swap to unleashed and use ambush -> repeat.

So you're 99% unleashed and only swap to pet-unleashed to use the new pet skills and then instantly swap back so that you can use your ambush again and do way more damage with the hammer while you're unleashed.

There is absolutely no purpose to use the pet-unleashed hammer skills as it is an INSANE dps loss. So by using the hammer and wanting to do max dps you don't even have a CC ability with it as using those is a huge dps loss. So it's better to let your teammates do the CC together with your utilities. This is especially bad as all your other weapon options have atleast 1 cc ability GS 5, LB 4, S/A 4. So I think you should keep 1 CC ability with the hammer when you are unleashed.

Also I think that he needs some unique buff. Like increase your teammembers damage each time when you CC an enemy so you could sacrifice your own DPS to boost the partys dps but also increase the overall dps of the pet-unleashed hammer skills as that dps gap is really big.

So far S/A is in every way superior to the hammer pet-unleashed skills. It has mobility that you can very often use -> S 2, it has CC+pull -> A 4, and a big aoe -> A 5.

I personally don't mind that as always using the hammer would be boring but it completely being outclassed is also odd.

Nature's Binding still has no use in pve. It should be a pull in PVE.

Edited by Xionor.8963

On 2/28/2022 at 5:13 PM, Shagie.7612 said:

It's very much not, lol. It's absolutely more of a PvP-oriented spec than PvE, in the same way Spellbreaker was/is. Whether or not it accomplishes that is a different story.

Ranger doesn't and has never meant archer/marksman/shooter. Aragorn is a ranger.

lol, are you joking, right? Ranger = Hunter in MMO. Ranger in GW2 was design since the beginning as a character with a Bow and a Pet. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ranger , check the pictogram and the definition. Ranger from GW2 is the same as Hunter in WoW (One of the best MMO). 

So please don't make the assumption the Ranger has never meant archer. Please don't argue with the developer of the game, I think he knew better what he meant when he made the game, right? 

• Like 2

Two suggestions: 

1. Improve the visual effect when the unleashed state is on the player. The  circle on the health isn't sufficient. I suggest adding vines around the weapon bar. 

2. For the unleashed autoattack, add a timer to the skill icon (skill1) to show the recharge. (Similar to skills that have an ammo mechanic). 

There is too much going on with the untamed: switching pets,  the unleashed state, looking at the unleashed autoattack timer. So these two changes would make playing the spec a lot less burdensome. 

• Like 2

There are also some things I don't like about.

1. All pets have the same attacks in untamed mode.

2. Pet doesn't use the F1-F3 while in downstate. Core Ranger does and engi mech also.

3. Unleashed attacks are realle weak and the time is to use is to short.

4. There is no real difference between untamed and normal attacks with hammer.

14 hours ago, philvaneyck.1932 said:

2. Pet doesn't use the F1-F3 while in downstate. Core Ranger does and engi mech also.

4. There is no real difference between untamed and normal attacks with hammer.

2. Actually, you CAN still use the F1-F3 in downstate. The UI vanishes, of course, but the pet still responds to commands. I used my fire wyvern to keep a pack of trash busy while I Downstate 4'd myself to life again after diving into a pack of veterans in Echovald.

4. And the differences IMO make it worse, Can't CC when unleashed, Can't do damage when not.

The new pets don't match up with their logical Archetype for soulbeast. If you had to assign them to their current archetype due to wanting to be as even as possible.....I guess.... but they still don't fit.

Following the pet/animal logic- I think better fits would be Phoenix for Supportive, White Tiger for Ferocious, Baby Turtle for Stout and Wallow for Deadly.

• Like 1