End of Dragons hidden mount

This discussion pops up every time a horse is added to conceptart. Likely the reason why it is removed from the art in the loginscreen.

It also makes it unlikely horses are introduced in EoD. Why remove something they are about to add.

Horses do exist in Tyria. Just not as an animal we encounter. A few examples:
Dreamer skin and projectiles
Lunar racer horse
iron horse mine (location in GW1)
The Uzocom 2000

Also in the book edge of destiny there are mentions of horses.
Last of all: Without horses, how else can there be a human/horse hybrid like centaurs 😉 

The reasons for the lack of horses is unknown, but I suspect it is a design reason or artistic reason. A horse is different from a centaur. If introduced they need to be the gracious animal we know. This require a kind of movement not used on other models in game. They can't just copy the animation of a dolyak or a centaur and it is unlikely they can reuse it on other skins.

A mount that could walk on walls would be possible. Some say a spider, but I think vermin you see in gw1 would fit this role too.

Could use another under water option, maybe more focused on speed or diving/ascending.

I also think combat style mounts like the siege turtle could have more of a future. Although I hoping that would be an upgrade given to the raptor and springer to make them more relevant to the other mount (especially springer).

• Confused 2

I actually think there is tons of expansion they could add to mounts  but these can be just for fun. They don't need to all be super functional.

I do have a few dreams.

a simple horse mount that could be evolved into a pegasus.

half ground half soaring mount.

mix of raptor and glider with a jumpoff based of your speed.

essentially a faster ground based gryphon with less verticality 

a surf/hover board thats just for fun and lets you do trix.

i would love of they had zones that had waves and we could catch big air or ocean events where you could just ride waves and whoever busses the most tricks get the best rewards.

I think if they think fun and not essential they can expand on the mounts quite a bit

• Confused 2

9 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

That's why there was a horse prominently displayed in the background during the latest Guild Chat!  :classic_tongue:

Whoa, I hadn't noticed: https://i.imgur.com/nUsVQ83.jpg

Perhaps my dream will come true at last! 😍    
🐎💨   🐎 🐎💨

Edit: Oh, that's the background that was also prominent on the first EoD release page:
https://i.imgur.com/F4cIo0G.jpg

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

You dream about flatulent horses?!?

Hah! I was thinking the same thing when I picked that emoticon.🤣 Where's the "mirror image" option when you need it? But then I went, "Nah, it's fine."

So, to answer your question: "Possibly." 😛

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Slartibartfast.5416 said:

A hidden "fun" mount might be a possibility, but I consider it to be remote.  Now, what would you think if they were managing to keep tengu as a playable race under their hat?  Best kept secret of all Arenanet time.  Now that would be nuts.

I don't see either happen, but I am ready to be pleasantly surprised (and do the happy dance if anything like that actually happens).

• Confused 1

On 2/16/2022 at 5:13 PM, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

That's why there was a horse prominently displayed in the background during the latest Guild Chat!  :classic_tongue:

I was wondering that myself and in the end rationalised it as...well maybe it's a deer or some mystical creature that is most definitely not a horse with stuff glued to its forehead.

19 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Someone forgot to tell the new concept artist about the “no horses” rule again.

Sadly this is totally a possibility. Not exactly the same but ANet has used early concept art in game, like pics of real world architecture used in early phases to set a mood or style for the project, leaving things in loading screens that you will never unsee once you've noticed them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lokh.2695 said:

Sadly this is totally a possibility. Not exactly the same but ANet has used early concept art in game, like pics of real world architecture used in early phases to set a mood or style for the project, leaving things in loading screens that you will never unsee once you've noticed them.

Totally.

I remember in the very earliest days of the game people arguing in the long mount vs no mount threads about concept art that showed a horse way back then.

Even without photobashing, it’d be such a natural thing for a concept artist to paint a horse into a fantasy scene without even thinking about it.

I imagine some of the veteran artists seeing horse discussion break out yet again, and turning to each other to say, “I thought you were going to tell the new guy!”

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Slartibartfast.5416 said:

A hidden "fun" mount might be a possibility, but I consider it to be remote.  Now, what would you think if they were managing to keep tengu as a playable race under their hat?  Best kept secret of all Arenanet time.  Now that would be nuts.

I would instantly know where possible resources were wasted, that could have been an awesome new mount. So awesome I can't even imagine what it could've been, because there is actually not a lot of free real estate, when it comes to what a possible new awesome mount could be capable of. Also I would probably reroll one of my newer toons to be a friggin birdperson, might as well go with the flow.
Then I'd think about, if it brought anything to the game, that actually needed a new playable race in a game, where your race choice stops mattering after maybe 8 or so hours of the main story, which is a good thing. Then I would most likely realise that I was right all along and resources could have been better spent elsewhere.
Or Anet actually pulls it off, making it a worthwhile addition to the game and I will enjoy it.

Edited by lokh.2695
  • Like 1