Race or Relax?

My pace really isn't either a race to the finish, nor is it a slow crawl to soak up all the little deets either.  I like to go at a reasonable pace to keep me at about the middle of the pack, and...if I miss something along the way...well, that's what alts are for!

Sure, I'll do some things a little faster, but my alts can at least afford to take a little more time to take their time and really soak things in after I get a good understanding of what is expected of me in the game.  Besides, I'm sure some of my guildies will ROFLSTOMP some aspects of EoD (like the Siege Turtle, or find a workable build with one or more of the Elite Specializations) before I do...So, I can wait and pick their brains if I need to.

I just hope I'll be able to work out all of the new currencies that will probably be in the game...I got a little lost with the last expansion before I realized why trade contracts were so important and not to go squandering those...

• Like 1

Taking my time.

In the first place, I really like exploring.

In second, my son was far behind in content when we started playing together, so I was always doing story ahead of him and then doing it a second time with him as he got to it. Now, he's completely caught up, so I've committed to him not to go on ahead without him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Now, he's completely caught up, so I've committed to him not to go on ahead without him.

I like this part of your post!  If I had real life friends who played on the regular, I may just take more time and play at their pace and do things with them.  Alas I do not...They have RL responsibilities that I do not have, so I have more ability and free time on my hands to play than they do.  But yeah, I'd definitely would slow down for my RL buds who played.

I might race through it this time, my usual pace of finishing story is pretty slow, I still haven’t finished the core game after 9 years of playing, I don’t recall ever finishing hot story, and pof story took 3 years… so yeah I might switch it up this time round lol

Edited by Abyssisis.3971
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

Are you going to race through the content due to free time, bragging rights, spoiler avoidance, etc.? Or are you gonna relax and soak it all in?

It depends on the content (complexity and story length). Usually, I take my time to explore every bit of a map, see what NPCs have to say, and of course enjoy the story. I don't see a reason to rush.

6 hours ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

(Don't relax TOO much... maps will lose their fun once other people leave.)

Expansions keep players occupied for months. It is highly unlikely that you will find the maps abandoned if you don't speed-rush through them.

I'm looking forward to playing through the content on all of my PvE characters.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I'll try to race to the last map on release, doing whatever story, mastery or meta event that is needed to do so. But I come prepared. I know there will be bugs and hotfixes, loading screens and crashes. And I will embrace the experience.

Once everything has settled, I will go through my usual routine of doing the story, exploring the maps and doing achievements on my 9 "main" characters. Then there's time to do what's left. I expect EoD to be at least six months worth of content for me doing things in a reasonable pace and being efficient doing things.

What will be relaxing, if I want it or not, will be the fishing part...the things you do for AP...

17 hours ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

Are you going to race through the content due to free time, bragging rights, spoiler avoidance, etc.? Or are you gonna relax and soak it all in? (Don't relax TOO much... maps will lose their fun once other people leave.)

Why not both? Not like any of the content gets outdated.  I can repeat stuff as many times as I want.

17 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

I admit,  I stumbled alot in or conversation chain.

Maps are content sure but story is content too.

To unlock other content you can do daily aka strikes you have to rush past content the maps to finish story content. ( you dident have to do anything to unlock the 5 man content fractals as an example)

So yes to open strikes you have to rush past content as well as through content.

By that logic, starting/completing any content is automatically rushing. It isn't. Even moreso in case of the story, where it basically introduces you to the new areas (other than providing story/lore).

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

By that logic, starting/completing any content is automatically rushing. It isn't. Even moreso in case of the story, where it basically introduces you to the new areas (other than providing story/lore).

How so? if you 100% complete the map when story star lead you out of said map you havent rushed past anything.

You might miss some even true due to respan timers but it is not because you ran past it chasing a story star.

• Confused 1

I've had about 3 hours to play EoD and I think I've spent more time looking around the map, taking screenshots and talking to the NPCs than anything else. I've been following the story and only gotten past the first heart, which I know you don't have to complete but I did anyway.

I've also participated in a handful of events and found the NPCs who tell you about Willbenders and Specters. (I assume I'll have to wait until I reach Echovald to find the Untamed NPC. I've gotten 4 mastery points, caught a couple of fish and completed some achievements, including some things I didn't know were achievements until I did them.

So I've had fun but definitely haven't made much progress. I suspect it's going to be a long time before I even get through the story.

Going slow, partly because I'm overwhelmed and partly because I'm uncertain as to whether there will be enough mastery points to get all the abilities without doing content I'm not interested in. So far, I've been able to keep "8 points from max" (sans raid), but I fear strikes might be another wall for me.