I've spent $150 on keys in the gem store...

I sent a message to Anet stating that the drop chance of the Jade Tech Wings is unacceptable , their response was, in essence "Buy more Keys" what the hell Anet? I have opened SEVENTY FIVE Black Lion Chests and no glider, I mention this in my guild and somebody tells me that they just got it with a FREE KEY! How am I supposed to feel in this situation if not justifiably angry? Had I gotten the glider from the 75th key I might wish it had dropped sooner but I'd frankly be glad to have it. instead I'm out a pretty decent chunk of cash and all I got for it is a pretty crappy Ice Reaver staff skin.

Even Zenimax has a better chest system than this, ZENIMAX, where items from the chests can be converted into a currency and then used to purchase the item in the chest you were hoping for when you have enough and haven't managed to get it. I didn't expect to be given the glider, I even stated as much in the message, but to get a response that can be summed up as just keep paying for keys and hope for the best? that's just not the right way to respond here. Honestly at this point I'm curious if there's a way to put a block on my account to stop any future gem purchases because I frankly don't think you deserve my money.

rant over.

Edited by Nevvah.7048
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 17
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 4

7 minutes ago, Nevvah.7048 said:

I sent a message to Anet stating that the drop chance of the Jade Tech Wings is unacceptable , their response was, in essence "Buy more Keys" what the hell Anet? I have opened SEVENTY FIVE Black Lion Chests and no glider, I mention this in my guild and somebody tells me that they just got it with a FREE KEY! How am I supposed to feel in this situation if not justifiably angry? Had  gotten the glider from the 75th key I might wish it had dropped sooner but I'd frankly be glad to have it. instead I'm out a pretty decent chunk of cash and all I got for it is a pretty crappy Ice Reaver staff skin.

Even Zenimax has a better chest system than this, ZENIMAX, where items from the chests can be converted into a currency and then used to purchase the item in the chest you were hoping for when you have enough and haven't managed to get it. I didn't expect to be given the glider, I even stated as much in the message, but to get a response that can be summed up as just keep paying for keys and hope for the best? that's just not the right way to respond here. Honestly at this point I'm curious if there's a way to put a block on my account to stop any future gem purchases because I frankly don't think you deserve my money.

rant over.

you and me both, my friend.  best bet seem to be wait for it to get listed for black lion statuette..  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, decease.3215 said:

you and me both, my friend.  best bet seem to be wait for it to get listed for black lion statuette..  

Honestly, saying that something in ESO is handled better than in GW2, and for it to be cash shop related, is not something I ever expected to do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Nevvah.7048 said:

Honestly, saying that something in ESO is handled better than in GW2, and for it to be cash shop related, is not something I ever expected to do.

Well in eso, if you get duplicate item, you can turn it to gem.  and gem can be trade for anything from lootbox..

in GW2, you get statuette as separate drop, duplicate can be sold on trading post for gold.. stuff will get listed for statuette 6~x month later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, decease.3215 said:

Well in eso, if you get duplicate item, you can turn it to gem.  and gem can be trade for anything from lootbox..

in GW2, you get statuette as separate drop, duplicate can be sold on trading post for gold.. stuff will get listed for statuette 6~x month later.

I honestly didn't know that option was there, thanks for the info 😅

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, decease.3215 said:

Is that so? If you get a mount skin from a black lion chest that you already have, it will not be account bound? I have never heard of that.

Edited by Shikigami.4013

5 minutes ago, Shikigami.4013 said:

Is that so? If you get a mount skin from a black lion chest that you already have, it will not be account bound?

And what if you already have the mount skin item in your inventory but you don't have the griffon yet- and then you get that mount skin again? Will you end up with two identical accountbound skin, of which one obviously is useless?

I don't think I've ever gotten a duplicate mount skin from a chest... I don't think I've ever gotten a skin period... but weapon skins, those you can sell on the TP. some go for a lot of gold.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Nevvah.7048 said:

I don't think I've ever gotten a duplicate mount skin from a chest... I don't think I've ever gotten a skin period... but weapon skins, those you can sell on the TP. some go for a lot of gold.

Ah yes weapon skins are. I think gliders, chairs, mounts etc. never are. I actually once got a griffon skin - on an account that did not yet have path of fire. I also have a skiff skin on an account that does not yet have End of Dragons.

Makes you wonder if they do this on purpose to push people to buy the expansion - as they already have that great rare item that they only can use when they do 🙂

Edited by Shikigami.4013
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Shikigami.4013 said:

Ah yes weapon skins are. I think gliders, chairs, mounts etc. never are. I actually once got a griffon skin - on an account that did not yes have path of fire. I also have a skiff skin on an account that does not yet have End of Dragons.

Makes you wonder if they do this on purpose to push people to buy the expansion - as they already have that great rare item that they only can use when they do 🙂

Actually, having looked through my account just now, I did get a mount skin from a chest once... it was a Warclaw skin... I don't do WvW 😆.

Edited by Nevvah.7048
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I think if you were to get a duplicate skin that is account bound, the game automatically detects you already had it and then converts it into another key. That way you never get stuck with 2 of the same item that is untradeable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for supporting the game, OP!

1 hour ago, Nevvah.7048 said:

...ZENIMAX, where items from the chests can be converted into a currency and then used to purchase the item in the chest you were hoping for when you have enough and haven't managed to get it... 

Statuettes are that. The glider will most likely become available for a period within a few months.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

TLDR: You decide how much money you want to spend for your hobby.

I think in general ANet is a pretty customer-friendly company.

But it really makes me shake my head in disbelief, how far the gaming industry has come.

Most games nowadays are built to wake your interest to a point, where you / we (as a customer) are attached enough to invest more money than just buying the product itself / the licence to participate.

The next step most companies do is to keep up that urge / willingness and not just to be able to keep the company running or gain a well deserved income, but in many cases just to maximize the quarterly figures.

There are many (on purpose artificially created) ways to keep you / us interested:

* achievements which keep us playing for a far longer timespan, than we usually would. We don't just go for the next match / adventure because the game mechanics / stories / riddles are so appealing. There is rather the urge to get to the next level / achievement. Usually players are able to reach many achievements in the beginning, but the amount of time and effort needed to reach the next keeps rising and rising.

* competition or rather comparison with others. "Oh, see how your neighbor / coworker / guildmate has already beaten level 50 and you are just stuck in 40? You can do the same, you just have to buy that little booster."

Or, "Look, just unlocked your new dragon mount, wouldn't it be cool if it didn't look like a plain and simple lizard but like the most epic Kralkatorrik himself?"

* you name it...

Once the customer is willing to spend more money, there are several ways to maximize the gain:

* cosmetics which each cost (the customer) almost the same as the product itself (but are way cheaper to produce in comparison).

* advantages to other players (damage / XP boosts, etc).

* items to overcome inconveniences, which were purposely placed beforehand (more storage for loot, teleporters, permanent items, additional character slots, etc).

* lotteries where you can / have to gamble for those mentioned features.

So, what can you do in that situation? Imho There are two possible solutions:

a) You are willing to spend a certain amount on your hobbies. You need new strings for your guitar. There is a monthly fee for the gym. You just want meet some friends in a local bar / pub. You need a new saddle for your bike.

All this would cost you some money, which you need to be able and willing to spend regularly. So set your own limits. If buying some lootboxes is ok for you and within that given limit, okay go for it.

b) Try to avoid companies and their products, which you are not ok with. Imo, the most powerful reaction to products you dislike is not buying them after all.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nevvah.7048 said:

I sent a message to Anet stating that the drop chance of the Jade Tech Wings is unacceptable , their response was, in essence "Buy more Keys" what the hell Anet? I have opened SEVENTY FIVE Black Lion Chests and no glider, I mention this in my guild and somebody tells me that they just got it with a FREE KEY! How am I supposed to feel in this situation if not justifiably angry? Had I gotten the glider from the 75th key I might wish it had dropped sooner but I'd frankly be glad to have it. instead I'm out a pretty decent chunk of cash and all I got for it is a pretty crappy Ice Reaver staff skin.

rant over.

With any luck, legislation will be enforced on predatory loot box mechanics sooner rather than later. It's on the way, just not fast enough.

Edited by Turial.1293
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

RNG problem. Some get it instantly, others probably never.

A solution could be to move way from RNG to a list that is used instead of RNG, like the old Doom uses. If the game remembers where you are on the (hidden) RNG list, you will get the lucky drop eventually. It won't change the drop chance, it just makes sure that you will not be extremely unlucky with RNG as there is no real RNG.

Dude loot boxes are literally gambling there is no guarantee. Anyone that gambles hoping for a single outcome will usually be disappointed.

Besides it is not in Anet's best interest to make loot boxes too rewarding, there is no subscription to play so Anet needs players to buy gems so they can, you know, pay their employees.

• Like 1

So, yesterday I was doing mapcomp on an alt account because it has 160 clovers in it (from the daily logins). After finishing a map I got a BL key and opened the chest. Guess what I got? Jade Tech Glider and Backpack Skin.

You think not getting the skin is painful? Try GETTING IT ON THE WRONG ACCOUNT!

Anyway, if you've opened 150 BL chest, keep those Statuettes. They tend to add it to the purchasable list later for generally 60 statuettes. Have patience and good luck.

I think you need to ask yourself - is a skin worth $150 to you?

You may have such an amount of disposable income that it doesn't matter for you, and then I guess it doesn't matter, but it never hurts to put things in perspective.

There are other ways to get keys in game for a little effort - weekly level 10 story, map completion, and level 40&60 story rewards (if you have chars close). It's also possible, as others have mentioned, that you can get the skin later on from statuettes.

Lootboxes are predatory.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Nevvah.7048 said:

rant over.

You do get Black Lion Statuettes from the chest, which you can use to purchase items that did not drop for you. You just have to wait a few weeks (or months) for the item(s) to become available as the Black Lion Statuette trader's inventory changes every few weeks.

Even if it's worth that much to you I wouldn't recommend using more than 60 keys to try for a specific item, because that will give you enough statuettes to buy it when it becomes available that way.

I think if you're going to buy keys it's probably a good idea to set a limit for how many you'll buy or how much you spend over a given period of time, then stick to that limit, rather than buying however many it takes to get a specific item. Other than the statuettes and the fact that most items are tradable there's no guarantees or safeguards, it's completely random. You could get the item you want on your first try, or you could use hundreds of keys and not get it. Each item has a different probability (we aren't told what those are but people doing drop rate research can estimate them) so it's possible to say that on average most people will get it within X keys, but there's always going to be outliers.

Also if you get any free keys I think it's a good idea to save them for when there's something you want rather than just using them when they drop, because then that's one less key you need to buy to try for it.

If you want to know exactly what you're going to get for your money then it's best not to buy keys at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turial.1293 said:

With any luck, legislation will be enforced on predatory loot box mechanics sooner rather than later. It's on the way, just not fast enough.

Save the whales, bro.

Banning all the "bad" things sounds good, but there are always unintended consequences. Personally, I hope they throw up a "Black Lion Daily Raffle" just for spite, but the prices of everything will probably just rise.

• Confused 2