Skimmer vs Skiff

42 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

Wouldn't they need to have purchase the HoT/PoF combo or can a free account upgrade to a paid core account with the purchase of the Cantha expansion?

Yea ftp get upgraded to base game + Eod with just the 30 buck purchase.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've only used skiff when I wanted to fish pretty much, which was not often so far, and haven't gotten its masteries yet either. And I have full masteries on skimmer, including underwater. I can see the value of skiff as a fishing boat, but for pure water travel, I couldn't imagine ever picking it over the skimmer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

They should add a mastery to the skiff so you can activate a set of wheels to drive on land.

4 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Skimmer, for sure. It handles better, traverses under and over water, and I can launch from it onto other mounts and back as needed. By comparison, the Skiff is slow, clunky, and I only ever find myself using it for fishing.

With a Skiff Supercharger 3 and Turbo Boost, you'll leave a skimmer way behind in any race. However, skimmer is more useful overall with the diving ability and for escaping mobs while going on land. Also, if dropping from a great height, mount a skimmer and just drop & float down without needing to press any keys.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Donari.5237 said:

I hear you on motion sickness.  Have you tried the Synergetics one?  No undulating bits.  (And you surely already know this, but avoid the hummingbird at all costs).

Thanks for the tip, I'll check that one out!

What actually made the skimmer useable for me was the turtle (shell surfer) skin. I avoided the skimmer at all costs before that (I remember one day early into PoF, I tried to rush a new character across Cursed Shore on the water side ... it made me so sick I had to lie down for two hours afterwards 😉 ), but ever since I got my turtle the skimmer is actually ok as long as I stay on water. That speed change when you hit anything the game considers dry land is brutal.

• Like 1

Yes. Skiff for fishing. Else skimmer. For the mastery point at the naga island in Seitung I also used the skiff - cause I thought it was intended since it had been in the water. (Where you just had been on the surface swimming with no pressing f possible.) Some video showed how to commune with it without the skiff though.

And when I recently had been there ... it seems like they moved this a bit more to the land. Making skiff not needed at all.

Main adantage is that it is easier to move/turn - and it faster gains speed.

Edit: I wish there were more uses for the skiff. Actually it would have been a good idea to make places where you had to use the skiff and then start with a mount from there - like springer or a flying mount on a vertical wall/cliff - where no land allowed for normal use of the mount without skiff. But then again ... this would have required players to also own PoF.

Siege skiff - instead of a turtle - where you'd shoot some island that is shielded with sieges. ... or even with normal weapons (and not possible to attack if you only can view it from surface while swimming and swimming at the surface does not allow for weapons) ...

But instead they made the turtle. - that I at least would prefer to allow for using the weapon without a 2nd player. Skiff should have been multiplayer with weapons instead. I can see skiff races happening ... and other stuff - when the jade sea will hopefully "melt" soon - and lots more water available and new areas in Cantha and an added mastery with further seasons. 😄

Like: Going super fast with the skiff and a 2nd player jumps to collect orbs that are a bit in the air and give buffs. Would look silly - but be fun maybe. 😄 (Probably prefering full single player still though. Maybe add jump option to the skiff then.)

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 1

Skiff is a fishing platform.
The main issue for me is the super-tedious summoning process, which completely disables it as a travel tool. If it were summoned instantly below the player with the player at the weel insted of "placement" it will be way more convinient... but
The second issue is the drag mechanics. Just bad compared to any mount.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Skimmer all the way, well almost all the way. When you do fishing you need to use the skiff, but I don't do fishing.

The advantages of the skimmer are just too great. You can use it on land and underwater as well. It isn't summoned via a clunky AI so you can jump on it any time.

The skiff is technically faster when it's full speed I believe but then it doesn't have the maneuverability of the skimmer. As the person above said: it's a fishing platform.

• Like 1

It depends on the situation for me, if I have a lot of water that I want to cross in the quickest time then the Skiff is coming out especially now that they released the individual binds for the mastery skills. The skiff is very fast, especially when you have tier 3 speed and the boost skill, so the further you have to travel across water with fairly straight/easy pathing then the skiff is very good for that.

If I only have a short distance to travel or need to go underwater, skimmer all the way.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Silent.6137 said:

With a Skiff Supercharger 3 and Turbo Boost, you'll leave a skimmer way behind in any race.

Sure, until you need to turn. The Skiff combines the worst features of both the Skimmer and the Roller Beetle and neither of their strengths. As for the supercharger, that's per character whereas the Skimmer gets upgraded once and then can be used across the entire account without any additional purchases. For your other points, I agree that the pancake is simply more versatile which is probably why it gets more play. Skim it to win it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

I've recently found myself using the skiff a lot more than Skimmer (I have both maxed). The main reason is that even though my friend and I have both been playing the game for years now, his wife just recently joined and doesn't have any mounts at all, so it's useful for keeping our party together while we're exploring. I also use the Siege Turtle on land for that same reason. She hops in the gunner seat while my friend Griffons around. It's a lot of fun, actually. Plus, I do enjoy me some fishing and the water platform for Skyscale launching is really useful.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Skimmer 100% they can drive underwater as well, i don't fish at all, i tried it its tedious and not fun..

Skiffs are beyond complicated to get out and placed and are too slow, drive like a drunk whale and obscure my camera at times..

They should have allowed fishing from skimmers..

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Skimmer is just more practical in the water. I hate the Skiff, but you just can't fish off your skimmer.

Edit: Why didn't they incorporate that into one of the fishing masteries?

Edited by Zeivu.3615
Additional information
  • Like 3