Stolen Assets in Game

I was recently playing 'Cyberpunk 2077' and noticed a familiar floating image in Arasoka tower. The new backpiece that we got recently seems to be heavily inspired by it to the point where the animations look the same, even the default colours do too. I really hope that this is a coincidence and not a plagiarised asset from another game.

Back item:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Holographic_Koi_Backpiece_Skin
CP77 Koi:
https://ibb.co/6ghtmk0
https://ibb.co/8Bp5Gty

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 18
  • Sad 2

Considering the possibility of Anet contracting out the art, it wouldn't surprise me if there is weird stuff going on some of the time (like I doubt they are diligently checking with everyone they contract out to, since the whole point is to save costs by using contracting).

That said, these look distinctly different to me, just similar design. The color, for example, is not quite the same and the fish have a more wavy transparent look in the GW2 version. It's kinda like music in that there's only so much you can do that's truly original and so you have to be pretty exact for it to be plagiarism.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Freya.9075 said:

I was not aware cyberpunk 2077 was the origin of holograms and yin yang fishes. They must have been planning this for decades. The audacity 🙀

That Polish game? Yeah, CP 2077 had some groundbreaking ideas. It's definately not like there were some cultural refereneces, we've seen ages ago xD

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Cyberpunk 2077 has guns has guns and swords too. And GW2 has guns and swords. 

Does that mean Anet stole the guns and swords assets?

Or did Cyberpunk 2077 steal guns and swords from Guild Wars 2, since GW2 is the older game?

In response to the OP, quite frankly no, this doesn't look like plagiarism or asset theft.  As others have mentioned the Koi Ying Yang is an older concept seen in more than a few Eastern themed series, hardly something Cyberpunk came up with themselves.  Same goes for holograms.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

For the love of God, when will people stop thinking inspiration = plagiarism! It's not! Especially over symbols that are now public domain!

Red/Blue are common replacements of Black/White, too. You can see it everywhere. GW2 so happened to go along with that.

This is inspired by the theme of yin-yang, and two koi fish sometimes artistically associated with it. There's nothing new about it. Nothing. Anything cyberpunk is nothing new, either. It's been a thing since the '80s or so.

Edited by Aselia.1325
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just look up "red and blue koi fish Yin Yang" on Google Images and you get plenty of drawings/art of the same exact Yin-Yang design from long before either of these MMOs even came out. Definitely not even close to "stolen" as OP claims.

https://www.google.com/search?q=red+and+blue+koi+fish+yin+yang

This argument, imo, is like saying GW2 stole team-based dungeons from Runescape (Dungeoneering) or Norn from the Elder Scrolls (Nords). It's just the same widely available, cultural themes and designs being used in different games, not anything being stolen.

Edited by Poormany.4507
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Turial.1293 said:

A lot of angry fan-bois on this post lol. God forbid someone asks a question.

You never asked a question.  You tried to make a point about assets being "stolen", which others have argued otherwise.  Not sure how that makes people fan-bois.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Turial.1293 said:

A lot of angry fan-bois on this post lol. God forbid someone asks a question.

Whether it is fish (or guns and swords) the design is very similar to the point where it both looks and functions the same. Of course CP77 is not the origin of where fish came from.... What even is that strawman argument? Just because we love this game does not mean they don't make mistakes and it's not the first time they have reused assets (flamekissed armor). It's not unreasonable to assume something that walks like a fish, swims like a fish and is identical to another game fish is not copied flat out rather than inspired by.

It is the way you “asked” the question. Nothing strawman about these answers. If you articulated it in a better manner I am sure you would get more serious answers. neither cyberpunk 2077 or gw2 “stole” the idea of these fish. It would be like saying the centaurs were a stolen asset. Inspiration from ancient Asian times is nothing new. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4