Mounts Required, why.

Just now, Yvelta De Forlee.1690 said:

I do believe the quest chain rewarded, or map completion rewarded, would have felt much better to me as a player to receive for the other mounts. Skyscale only feels good to get AFTER you've got it though, because it's over. Thanks timegating lol.

That could have been a fun alternative.  I think they were going for a more organic feel, so it explains why you need it for this particular map.  They made it more friendly for players to jump right in to PoF, and I get that.  

I love the skyscale quest.  The time gating and perceived grind by many were no issue and I enjoyed the story.  Good point though that it is optional and you don't need it, more a QoL thing.  It could have been done with other mounts too, but I think we know most players would not have been pleased 😕

Thank you for your responses btw.  It's all opinion of course, but it's interesting to consider.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Yvelta De Forlee.1690 said:

Time gating is not the most correct term for the raptor mastery itself, but it does technically take time to do, so the term could be argued as correct. I feel you're just being pedantic.

If you go to the automotive mechanic and describe a problem with your gas mileage as a problem with the radio/stereo are you still correct?
Time Gating is a very precise term you are misusing. The misuse shows a lack of information. 

Pointing this out is not pedantic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Yvelta De Forlee.1690 said:

Needing multiple mounts to get around a map effectively feels unnecessary to me.

Why? Actually that is the great thing about mounts in Guild Wars 2. Mounts are not just different skins like in other games. In Guild Wars 2 they have unique movement abilities. Maybe get all mounts, play a little bit with them and you’ll appreciate the mount system in the game. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

That could have been a fun alternative.  I think they were going for a more organic feel, so it explains why you need it for this particular map.  They made it more friendly for players to jump right in to PoF, and I get that.  

I love the skyscale quest.  The time gating and perceived grind by many were no issue and I enjoyed the story.  Good point though that it is optional and you don't need it, more a QoL thing.  It could have been done with other mounts too, but I think we know most players would not have been pleased 😕

Thank you for your responses btw.  It's all opinion of course, but it's interesting to consider.  

it's nice seeing considerate responses to a discussion instead of just condescending emotes/responses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

5 hours ago, Yvelta De Forlee.1690 said:

I'll probably get a fair amount of hate for this based on other player interactions I've already had, but I think it's worth saying regardless. Mounts should not be required for story quest progress. I have no problem working towards mounts, achievements, crafting, with the only exception being timegated stuff like Skyscale. The work for Skyscale, fine. The forced wait times, not fine. That's a whole different issue though.

Going through Path of Fire, and needing to level the raptor to get to certain places alone would be meh, but not intolerable. Needing to level the raptor to Mastery 3, just to get a completely different mount or I can't continue story though? That's too much, not too much as in impossible to do, but it's one of numerous timegates in the game. Though a smaller one in comparison to others I mentioned. I don't like to rush to endgame, I do my best to 100% a map if I can before moving on to the next, but even for me this is ridiculous. Mounts and what they add to a map should just be that. Adding. Not required to experience, especially for the story itself. It's an unnecessary gate no matter how you reason it. If it was just blocking off some collectibles, like Vista's or something I'd find that completely fine.

Apologies if I come off defensive, I do not mean to and certainly do not wish to start any arguments, but having raised this opinion in the past with other players in game usually gets a response of "Stop being entitled and wanting everything handed to you" or "Quit whining, you have to actually play the game." I just want to play through the story in one go, then go back and do completion if I didn't get 100% the first time through.

I see this was barely touched in the thread, but I'm wondering what the difference is between HoT and PoF progression gates?

You're lack of enjoyment of PoF is, seemingly, behind the mastery point requirements to fully use the mounts.  However, this doesn't seem to be any different to me compared to the mastery point requirements to progress through HoT.  What are the differences that cause you to enjoy PoF less than HoT?

From what I can vaguely remember, the effort/time to complete the masteries were about the same in both expansions.  The mounts do have to be acquired with gold and a heart completion, but that doesn't seem to be the factor for your disappointment with PoF.

A thorough description of what you find unenjoyable will help foster relevant discussion.  It's also the type of feedback ArenaNet looks for.  

• Thanks 2

Oh wow, I remember getting halted at the long jump mastery 😠 That part does not flow well at all for story purposes. OP is right, that part could have been done better. Maybe an additional personal story quest where you bond with and train your raptor to jump farther? As is, you don't even use your raptor to level up your experience bar. It's like "hey, I killed a bunch of things while my raptor watched and became inspired to jump farther"???? It may be an unpopular opinion and way in the past for most of us but that part of the masteries and story is dumb! I do love the mounts overall though 😀

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

Disagreed, mounts are part of the progression, I see no reason for why they shouldn't be included. What's especially interesting to me is that you say you try to 100% maps before moving on anyways. I usually don't aim at map completion as I play through the story and still didn't notice leveling up the masteries required to advance to be problematic in any way. It kind of prevents you from just blindly rushing the story, if that's not what you're doing then I don't get the issue.

4 hours ago, Yvelta De Forlee.1690 said:

Needing multiple mounts to get around a map effectively feels unnecessary to me.

Meanwhile for me it was easly one of the best things about mounts.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, yoni.7015 said:

Mounts were the main feature of PoF. Of course you should have to level them in order to progress the story of PoF, it doesn’t even take that long to level them.

Yes player should use the mount.

5 hours ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

The story is Anet's opportunity to train the player how to use the mounts properly.  The story is the best time to require that player learn how to use the mounts.

Yes story should teach how to use the mount.

4 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

This feels like another one of those Hey Anet give us mounts for free because I don't want to do the work for them kind of threads. 🙄

Missing the point a little

1 hour ago, Rogue.8235 said:

You're lack of enjoyment of PoF is, seemingly, behind the mastery point requirements to fully use the mounts.  However, this doesn't seem to be any different to me compared to the mastery point requirements to progress through HoT.  What are the differences that cause you to enjoy PoF less than HoT?

HoT was worse in that regard. I think op stated that somewhere too.

"I want to do the story, not grind mastery" Seems like a understandable complain while doing story. You may disagree, but you all act like op is crazy/lazy  for not wanting to grind. Like guys, come on, get some Air.  

I know we are all MMO players. Grinding flows through our veins, but it is shocking how many people can miss the point that grinding to progress the story may not be enjoyable for everybody.

Edited by Albi.7250
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

OP, how would you have done mount acquisition differently without just handing them all, fully mastered, on a plate? For me, part of the fun of levelling-up mounts is the areas they allow you to access which you previously couldn't. Levelling them up also acts as a break to allow you to progress through the story at a decent pace instead of breaknecking your way through it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Yvelta De Forlee.1690 said:

I'll probably get a fair amount of hate for this based on other player interactions I've already had, but I think it's worth saying regardless. Mounts should not be required for story quest progress. I have no problem working towards mounts, achievements, crafting, with the only exception being timegated stuff like Skyscale. The work for Skyscale, fine. The forced wait times, not fine. That's a whole different issue though.

Going through Path of Fire, and needing to level the raptor to get to certain places alone would be meh, but not intolerable. Needing to level the raptor to Mastery 3, just to get a completely different mount or I can't continue story though? That's too much, not too much as in impossible to do, but it's one of numerous timegates in the game. Though a smaller one in comparison to others I mentioned. I don't like to rush to endgame, I do my best to 100% a map if I can before moving on to the next, but even for me this is ridiculous. Mounts and what they add to a map should just be that. Adding. Not required to experience, especially for the story itself. It's an unnecessary gate no matter how you reason it. If it was just blocking off some collectibles, like Vista's or something I'd find that completely fine.

Apologies if I come off defensive, I do not mean to and certainly do not wish to start any arguments, but having raised this opinion in the past with other players in game usually gets a response of "Stop being entitled and wanting everything handed to you" or "Quit whining, you have to actually play the game." I just want to play through the story in one go, then go back and do completion if I didn't get 100% the first time through.

You're welcome to your preference, but I'm afraid this is intended design.  It's known as horizontal progression and there's a perfectly good reason for it.  But I'm not interested in changing your mind, so I'll just say I agree with the overall idea of progression in games and felt PoF did a good job of it.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Doggie.3184 said:

I would suggest just doing it. Max the raptor and give it headpats. Max the bunny and give it headpats. Suffer deep resonating anguish and despair to unlock and max the Skyscale and give it headpats.

No headpats for skimmer, jackal, griffon and beetle?

• Haha 1

Being unable to 100% the maps until you level your various masteries is entirely by design.  Picking up new mounts is picking up new tools for your toolbox, which is fantastic!  The reason Guild Wars 2's mounts are praised so highly is because they are all different and all needed to fully navigate the maps.

It seems you're upset that you can't just start an expansion and 100% all the maps before playing the story, but you had better get used to it.  That's completely intended by the developers ever since Heart of Thorns. You can't get everywhere without first learning about the area.

• Like 1

I don’t understand why mounts are in a special category outside of “do this instance before you do this one”, “level up before you access this story”, “collect these items in order to progress” or any of the other things RPGs do to gate you through the story.

Unlocking new ways of movement in order to access new areas has a long tradition in RPGs.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Drarnor Kunoram.5180 said:

Being unable to 100% the maps until you level your various masteries is entirely by design.  Picking up new mounts is picking up new tools for your toolbox, which is fantastic!  The reason Guild Wars 2's mounts are praised so highly is because they are all different and all needed to fully navigate the maps.

It seems you're upset that you can't just start an expansion and 100% all the maps before playing the story, but you had better get used to it.  That's completely intended by the developers ever since Heart of Thorns. You can't get everywhere without first learning about the area.

This is pretty significantly divorced from the OP's stated concern. He just doesnt want to be required to use mounts to complete the story.

• Like 1