I don’t get why folks are excited by steam release

There are toxic players in every game, it's unavoidable, but GW2 is pretty good, been playing it for a few months now, and most of everyone is nice and willing to chat and help out.

GW2's community doesn't really foster a toxic environment, everyone is as I said, mostly nice and willing to help out, even if toxic players do join, they'll be drowned out or they'll see no point to be toxic and vile to others as everyone is nice to each other, it will rub off on new players.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Lysico.4906 said:

Will just be an influx of toxic players.  When they poor into wvw and PvP it will finally kill those game modes.     That is what folks want?

Starting something new while presuming the worst in others is not the healthiest way to begin anything.

There's an opportunity to grow the WvW and PvP communities, which should be a cause for celebration, not remorse. An influx of players and money would give Anet the impetus and finances to focus more on those game modes, which I am presuming you would want given that the status quo does not seem to make you happy.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

Why will it be an influx of toxic players? do you think that Steam players are a monolith?

It's a rather desperate and long-sought flexing of the "hipster" muscle. Don't want no new rabble in our gentrified Divinity's Reach, nosiree.

Forgetting of course the majority of "new" players at Steam launch will be established players looking for another totally fresh start in a decade-long game.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

It’s quite ironic that you say it will be an influx of toxic players. Instead of assuming steam players are more toxic then gamers in general, isn’t it better to think before you speak? Attitudes like this is what already make players stay away from pvp and WvW in first place. It’s like you want the game mode to die

when they do join pvp and WvW you should embrace them and make their experience good. Teach them if they get confused and encourage them to learn. If you don’t give them reasons to be toxic, chance is they will not be toxic at all. (Exceptions exists ofc)

but for some reason I can already see the map chat in WvW filled with already existing players bashing the new players like when pve players joined WvW to get their warclaw. There is a reason they did not stay after getting it. If you made their stay better, maybe some would start liking it. And then wvw players complain the game mode is dead and asks anet to fix it. Quite ironic (now ofc I don’t mean all WvW players do this. But as a pve player myself, this is what my experience was when warclaw first came) 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Lysico.4906 said:

Will just be an influx of toxic players.  When they poor into wvw and PvP it will finally kill those game modes.     That is what folks want?

Toxic players? Idk. Of course there will be more toxic players that join, but that's pretty normal. Assuming 1/10 players that join are toxic, if 100 players join randomly you get 10. If 10,000 join you get 1,000. Technically more will join, but I don't imagine there percentage of toxic players will be higher from the steam link than at any other point.

A bigger issue with this influx is that the new player experience is kinda crappy (hence why they immediately boost you out of it if you buy an expansion). Initial zones are 10 years old (and show it imo) and the introductory events are honestly pretty lame. On top of that, the personal story missions have that weird chat screen effect for dialogue that honestly should be replaced. Then you have highly limited combat abilities for being low level at the start, making gameplay in the early levels pretty dull. 

I hope I'm wrong, but I really feel like a fair majority of the steam influx players are going to be out of the game before 20. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Kori Jenkins.9017 said:

A bigger issue with this influx is that the new player experience is kinda crappy (hence why they immediately boost you out of it if you buy an expansion). Initial zones are 10 years old (and show it imo) and the introductory events are honestly pretty lame. On top of that, the personal story missions have that weird chat screen effect for dialogue that honestly should be replaced. Then you have highly limited combat abilities for being low level at the start, making gameplay in the early levels pretty dull. 

I hope I'm wrong, but I really feel like a fair majority of the steam influx players are going to be out of the game before 20. 

Interesting. I personally think the early personal story missions are fantastic and I miss the chat screen dialogue where I get to see my character talking to the npc. I've forgotten what my character's face looks like.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

I would not be so hyped about it as i doubt that this release will spool in millions of new players like some here dream already infront their eyes…

“watch out new steam players everywhere, streamers get yer guides up to date, they will need it.“ reddit is currently full of these joke threads.

some are also so media influenced again on this that they believe that „help“ is needed on every corner on every map, jesus. As if a new player who manages to install the game got no brain, education and cant read and write… jesus. A new player is not a baby without experience in life.

some also believe that this will bring spvp and wvw back to life…

btw.  in case noone realised… anet tries to solve the low amount of twitch viewers by implementing more twitch loot drops… have twitch run next to your game to recieve loot…so baiting viewers with cheap loot instead of game design…

A lightning example in what fake world we arrived.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

They are excited because it will be a major influx of players at all. Probably for a moment it will feel like 2012, sort of like the lost ark craze which happened earlier this year. Once people realise the state of endgame and competitive most hardcore/serious gamers will leave and open world enjoyers will stay.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mik.3401 said:

They are excited because it will be a major influx of players at all. Probably for a moment it will feel like 2012, sort of like the lost ark craze which happened earlier this year. Once people realise the state of endgame and competitive most hardcore/serious gamers will leave and open world enjoyers will stay.

dude.. please wake up. The lost ark hype happened cause all people from other mmos wanted to test the new game free to play. there where lots of players from gw2 even playing that game for a while. Same with games like new world. complete new game on the market = all go there cause they want new content. this has nothing to do with steam and gw2 is not a new game is 10 years old.

Its not that steam players can only play games on steam dude like "oh finally GW2 on steam what we never could play cause it wasnt available here".  players with a steam account are normal humans like you who can anytime register whatever game without a steam account.

stay realistic guys steam is not some unknown planet or place where its players couldnt get away from and  where suddenly a new race enters planet earth and all just waited for GW2.

my biggest concern is that our usual community heros will just buy more accounts now cause they want the game look good on steam but the only thing they cause with this is a manipulation of real numbers again. like anets "oh we have atm soooo many new players but in reality its been all the heroic keys given away on nvidia for free which people registered as their alt accounts once again...

coincidence that one cannot link existing accounts to steam on realease? 

our red rose glasses wearer will just swipe their credit cards in the hope that this would support the game not realising that this game makes minimum 10-15 million dollars per quarter already if nothing special like a expansion or so arrives. 

and did it "support the game developement" in the last 10 years?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

13 minutes ago, roederich.2716 said:

"oh finally GW2 on steam what we never could play cause it wasnt available here".

That's what I did with Mass Effect 3, I bought and played 1 & 2 on steam, but then they decided to not release 3 on steam, so I refused to buy it till it came to steam years later 🙂  But that's (at least for me) an offline game.

On the other side I bought ESO directly and not via steam as I read that the steam update was to slow, such that you could not connect a while after every patch.

For that reason, I would also never buy GW2 on steam, not that I have an indicator this will be a problem with gw2, but having 2 parties involved is always worser than having just 1 doing both updating the server and providing the client patch to me.

Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

There willbe an influx of toxic players...

There will also be an influx of non toxic players.

Be prepared to ignore the former and embrace the latter....as we already do (hopefully).

Excellent point...and let's take time to welcome those new non toxic ones, invite them to guilds, mentor them if they have questions, and be helpful ambassadors of a game we all enjoy.  Might make some new friends and allies!  And fill up some of those maps.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, roederich.2716 said:

Its not that steam players can only play games on steam dude like "oh finally GW2 on steam what we never could play cause it wasnt available here"

You'd be surprised how many people literally refuses to install any games that aren't on steam. Remember the backlash against Uplay and Epic Games launchers ?

14 minutes ago, roederich.2716 said:

my biggest concern is that our usual community heros will just buy more accounts now cause they want the game look good on steam

That's plain stupid. EVEN IF people tried to manipulate and create new accounts, it'll look bad unless they play those accounts for months, thanks to Steam Charts. New world is called dead rn because it had a million active users, and it plumetted to 10% of that number after a few months. Despite that fact, 100k players is more than enough for a MMO to survive

That's also implying Steam Reviews aren't a thing

Will every streamer hype the kitten out of steam release? Of course, the health of the game is tied to their income.
Can they "manipulate" (/influence) anything outside of their platform? No