Should ArenaNet patch the Leviathan farm, in order to make fishing profitable again?

Kairi.2894

20 minutes ago, Kozumi.5816 said:

Fishing has been a gigantic failure of design since it's impementation. 

Disagreed, but you're free to dislike it. (I'm not sure about the relevance of "I like/dislike fishing" type of response to this thread though?)

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 6
  • Confused 4

43 minutes ago, Barraind.7324 said:

Ambergris has held its value better than any legendary crafting material that doesn't have a fixed vendor cost.  Its within 4 silver of its price from the initial legendary craze, where both AnSS (dont make items with an abbreviation you block on your forums...) and Jade Runestones have tanked in value since that point.

Tanked? Depends on your point of reference. They have also doubled in value ...

Proftability of Fishing:

1. Ambergris garuanteed drop from Legendary Fish (NOT the only source)
2. Ascended fish has a change of dropping it too
3. Profit should be all mats you catch, other higher tier filets also sell pretty well. 
4. You can exchange/uograde your filets to buy ambergris up to 5 a day from a fish monger

The drop in mat prices was expected. It always starts high and then drops to settle at a specific price range. You see that with Ambergris, you also see that with Antique Summoning Stones (started 40, 50+ if I remember right? Now around 4, 5 gold.)

Fishing one map for legendaries, does not make up of the shortcommings of fishing in general. I still do not enjoy it.

It has nothing to do with the minigame itself, it has everything to do with the frustration around it in some maps. 

So patch the Leviathan farm? Sure, AFTER patching fishing in general to:

- Not get in combat by an NPC that then runs off invulnerable because it was out of bound and if you go after it to kill it you loose your fishing stack

- NOT loose fishing stack on constant FALSE empty map warnings. Some maps are notorious for being spammed by false map change warnings

Untill those conditions are met: I rather farm Leviathan for my Ambergris than actually fish for it. Fishing in it's current state is not the promised "change of pace" minigame but a frustratingly hairpulling, obnoxious minigame that lost all appeal to me. And trust me, I did give it a very fairly chance.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Barraind.7324 said:

Ambergris has held its value better than any legendary crafting material that doesn't have a fixed vendor cost.  Its within 4 silver of its price from the initial legendary craze, where both AnSS (dont make items with an abbreviation you block on your forums...) and Jade Runestones have tanked in value since that point.

Looking at the price trend for 4 of the main components (that are traded on the TP) for crafting a Gen 3 weapon: Antique SS, Jade Runestone and Chunk of Pure Jade in comparison to Ambergris. Selecting a few dates: Mar 2, April 1, July 1, Oct 1 & Jan 1. All prices are Buy Price. Mar 2's price is the high point for Summoning Stones pre-EoD meta fixes.

• Antique Summoning Stone: [33g 16s 18c] -- 13g 85s 04c -- 6g 90s 14c -- 5g 90s 55c -- 4g 34s 92c(13.12%)
  • Jade Runestone: [51d 47c] -- 17s 89c -- 50s 29c -- 34s 84c -- 33s 46c(35.01%)
  • Chunk of Pure Jade: [7s 75c] -- 3s 29c -- 3s 03c -- 3g 05 c -- 2s 77c(35.74%)
  • Ambergris: [3g 56s 54c] -- 1g 54s 37c -- 2g 89s 02c -- 1g 81s 43c -- 1g 89s 01c(53.01%)

As can be seen, Ambergris has retained the least drop in value from the initial craze. Looking at the trend, except for Pure Jade, which has no value on TP, all prices has seen fluctuations depending on the demands such as Variants releases. Ambergris' price has been the most consistent. And the Apr 1 price for Ambergris was before Levi farming was even a thing, which was lower than what it is now.

2 hours ago, Barraind.7324 said:

Something like Ambergris added to the other daily meta chests in EoD

Ambergris is one of the choices for the Aetherblade meta's reward chest.

39 minutes ago, Tuna Bandit.3786 said:

2. Ascended fish has a change of dropping it to

Not just from Legendary and Ascended, as I mentioned in an earlier comment.

"They can drop from certain fish of all rarities except basic although legendary are virtually guaranteed and higher grade has better chance of dropping. Ambergris from fish: 2 types of Fine and 15 Masterworks drop them."

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Tanked? Depends on your point of reference. They have also doubled in value ...

AnSS went from 8.5g in June/July to 4.5g now.

JRs went from 60-65s in June/July to 34s now.

Ambergris went from 2g in June/July to 1.9g now.

One of those has taken a 5% loss over 6 months, the other two are down 45% or more.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Barraind.7324 said:

AnSS went from 8.5g in June/July to 4.5g now.

JRs went from 60-65s in June/July to 34s now.

Ambergris went from 2g in June/July to 1.9g now.

One of those has taken a 5% loss over 6 months, the other two are down 45% or more.

Exactly! It is not hard to pick dates to support a narratives as long as there are price fluctuations.

Start in May and the narrative flips.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

4 hours ago, Zizekent.2398 said:

Idk about that, but fishing and getting constant map closure because of metas and levi, is pretty annoying, ANet really needs to fix that problem.

2 hours ago, SolarDragon.7063 said:

No, they should remove it because it's an exploitative way to play that has serious impacts on normal gameplay because it constantly forces maps to close.

Map will stay open for 1 hour even if message pops up. But often, the pop-up will disappear if more join the map. So really, no reason to switch maps unless it's actually closing. You have plenty of time to switch if it says the map is closing in 10 minutes or less.

If you switch, you'll definitely lose the stacks. If you stay, there's a very high chance others will join and the map won't close after all. If you really have to switch later, you won't be any worse off.

An easy fix will be enabling the Fishing Stacks to persist over map change. And you don't lose the stacks unless you logged off. And there should be a timer of maybe 5 minutes before losing the stacks if not online in case of client crashing.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Ultramex.1506 said:

To quote one of the comment: "No research was done and post was created based on random ideas"

Yup, that seems to be correct. OP claims the prices plumeted and fishing isn't profitable, it's pointed out that it's false to which OP responds what boils down to "ok it's profitable, but give me more". He also keeps saying "it wasn't inteded to be farmed", to which we can only respond: how can you know that, OP?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I don't see any point in the thread ...

cause: The Chunk of Ambergris is actually about 2g on the trading post. Which is a lot. Considering that you sometimes get them for free by being lucky from the daily fishing chest or just fishing every now and then.

Also as others mentioned: Fishing probably never was meant ot be profitable. More like a source for certain stuff you need. The main problem with this - and other stuff in the game - though: Once the stuff is obtained by most players ... value will decrease by a lot. They already try to remove food from festival bags to get people to craft it - I guess. (Since recipes are basically useless as long as the stuff is at the TP for a few silver or even copper - if dropped directly a ton.)

The Lamplighter's badge ... I thought that one would stay expensive. (A lot to do to get it. And needed for legendaries.) More rare than the Ambergris. But I guess most people that do not care about legendaries at all ... did the achievement once for the AP - then sold it an dropped the price ... now that the hardcore players slowly manage to finish their sets of 3rd gen legendaries and only a few players that slowly work on legendaries ... are left to generate demand on the market. (This also made the summoning stones drop slowly and they even continue to drop.)

Had this with the mystic coins where ley anomaly daily existed. Where the price now dropped for other reasons - and that anomlay daily is less interesting now.

For future content I wish they'd created a repeatable  use - for certain stuff. (If it was only donation ... or a lucky game like with the ecto gamble.) To keep stuff more valuable over a longer time ... instead of having stuff go to silver or copper value a certain time after the original release. (For new players that want to catch up on certain stuff - it is good though ... that the price drops. I'd prefer this for basic raw mats onyl though.)

Wiki mentions a daily cap of 10 though - on the ambergirs for leviathan event. Considering that high number ... the price is still pretty high yeah. I think because it is also used for other stuff. Like tonics.

And a more important factor: There is a daily trade (5 times according to the wiki) from fish filet (10 of the highest quality) for one chunk. That one might where a lot of cheap/quick (leviathan still needs players and often in the map there is asked for help - not many seem to "farm" this when there are better profitable farms ... they do it for achievements mainly I guess) supply comes from. Generating the price ... that might drop lower if the fish filet highest quality gets lower in price.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 1

Welcome to Guild Wars 2, where anything once profitable doesn't stay that way. Between overfarming, lack of any real reward, the gem shop allowing avoidance of significant gold sinks, nothing will stay profitable save legendary crafting.

Edited by Zeivu.3615
  • Confused 5

On 1/2/2023 at 2:28 PM, Zeivu.3615 said:

Welcome to Guild Wars 2, where anything once profitable doesn't stay that way. Between overfarming, lack of any real reward, the gem shop allowing avoidance of significant gold sinks, nothing will stay profitable save legendary crafting.

You do realize that all prices on TP are controlled by the players? Any overfarming is because we, the players, chooses to engage in them. Change gold to gems and purchase items from the Gem Store and poof! your gold is gone. And a portion of the gold/gem is taken out of circulations. And what exactly do you mean by "lack  of any real reward"? What sort of reward are you looking for?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 1/1/2023 at 12:43 AM, Kairi.2894 said:

aside from it being relaxing.

Which was the primary argument of those pushing for fishing to be added to the game. So, people have their minigame, relaxing or otherwise, and may even profit from it. 

If something needs to be removed or have its rewards stripped, and the choices are a large scale event or fishing, my vote goes for fishing.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Which was the primary argument of those pushing for fishing to be added to the game. So, people have their minigame, relaxing or otherwise, and may even profit from it. 

If something needs to be removed or have its rewards stripped, and the choices are a large scale event or fishing, my vote goes for fishing.

This games fishing is NOT relaxing. That's the biggest issue with it, the other being it's extremely underdeveloped to the point of boring while requiring 100% of your attention.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

2 minutes ago, Kozumi.5816 said:

This games fishing is NOT relaxing. That's the biggest issue with it, the other being it's extremely underdeveloped to the point of boring while requiring 100% of your attention.

I think it’s relaxing. I am fishing ingame right now, very relaxing. 

• Like 3

On 1/1/2023 at 1:13 AM, Veprovina.4876 said:

No opinion on what you wrote, just a serious question... 

Was fishing ever meant to be profitable? Or was that just a side effect from everyone rushing Gen3 legendaries at the start of EoD.

New that the demand settled, the price probably settled too.

Not sure what that farm is, never heard of it, but I doubt it alone is affecting the price that much.

yeah I mean prices of everything settles. kitten stones have gone down like 400% from what they cost in March.

However an entire portion of gameplay (fishing) shouldn’t be useless, it would be nice if they either made chunks more common or added some other valuable thing that can be earned 

On 1/1/2023 at 8:43 AM, Kairi.2894 said:

You essentially have to be realing in a legendary fish every 2 to 3 minutes in order to get the ambergris required to hit that 30g per hour mark.

From my experience 30g an hour average is about right, sometimes its more somtimes its less, I would say 25g min to 35g+ max. It mostly comes down to location, time of day and boosters.

Edited by Vavume.8065

Is there any solo continuous farming that is more profitavle than fishing? Accorfing to Fast-farming , it's the 3rd most profitable solo farming but I would discount any that requires keys or are limited by time (Tresure hunter only 20 mins/hr).

So, Fishing is the most profitable solo activity, rivaling even some of the best group events.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

Is there any solo continuous farming that is more profitavle than fishing? Accorfing to Fast-farming , it's the 3rd most profitable solo farming but I would discount any that requires keys or are limited by time (Tresure hunter only 20 mins/hr).

So, Fishing is the most profitable solo activity, rivaling even some of the best group events.

BFF ice bound chest should be around the same but you need to have multiple characters, not sure how many.

2 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

BFF ice bound chest should be around the same but you need to have multiple characters, not sure how many.

Actually it won't come anywhere close to it. I've used multiple characters to just farm icebound chests continuously from storms to storms and used the "storm approaching period" to farm berries. You can practically farm non-stop but the problem is icebound chests drop very low yield loots. Doing the braziers which doesn't really give great loots either, the loots are often worth 5 to 30x that of the icebound.

You can only squeeze in 7 characters, maybe even 8 if you're lucky - torch availability and/or following others who had melted the ice. There are either 29 or30 chests spawned every period depending on the rotations.

Edited by Silent.6137