Anyone else impatient for a Q1 2023 Road Map?

2 hours ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Yes, I hoped for Living World Season 6 ep 1 release and a 2023 roadmap already. I hoped to get at least an announcement and roadmap yesterday but alas.

I think that's not realistic as far as expectations go. They just got back from their vacation and are planning stuff now. I doubt LW6 ep. 1 is done already. I would think that we get a roadmap in February and a LW6 ep. 1 release of March/April. Whether that will happen or not is anybody's guess still but that's what I expect.

4 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

I think that's not realistic as far as expectations go. They just got back from their vacation and are planning stuff now. I doubt LW6 ep. 1 is done already. I would think that we get a roadmap in February and a LW6 ep. 1 release of March/April. Whether that will happen or not is anybody's guess still but that's what I expect.

I know they had a break late December. But the final LW release was early November last year. And this was a partial re-release of earlier LW S1 content. So since November 8, 2022 they might have worked on Living world season 6, episode 1. The Wintersday and Lunar New year releases are just reruns of existing festivals.

2 hours ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

I know they had a break late December. But the final LW release was early November last year. And this was a partial re-release of earlier LW S1 content. So since November 8, 2022 they might have worked on Living world season 6, episode 1. The Wintersday and Lunar New year releases are just reruns of existing festivals.

I think the new LS episode probably is done, and it's in testing right now. Then there'll be bug fixes. They haven't told us the release date, but dollars to donuts they already have one set.  Not hearing about something doesn't make it not exist.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 10:41 AM, Bast.7253 said:

I check back every now and then but I honestly haven’t even cared. Been playing df despite not wanting to get sucked back into WoW again. 

I would just find a new game to play and check the Reddit to see if they’ve added an update or something. Likely more bunny helmets and fluff items in the gemstore for the next few weeks, maybe months. Think those are outsourced anyway.

I will be surprised if they release more than one map this year and am expecting some big announcement about the studio any day now. Seems like something has been up since EoD release given their last statement about commitment to the franchise and the fact that we’ve had quite a bit of silence since, especially this past few months.

Roadmap would probably just have 2 bullet points with festivals anyway so I wouldn’t expect anything major.

Oh snap 

I just Googled the new WoW Expansion, and saw the Wowhead page on it! I didn't know Dragonflight expansion was out. I am very desperate for a new MMO to play. I may also jump back into WoW.

Another thing. People here always talk about how GW2 couldn't possibly get new classes to play, yet look at WoW, almost 20 years old and it's been getting a bunch of new classes.  Why can't we?

• Like 1
  • Confused 9

4 minutes ago, Knighthonor.4061 said:

Another thing. People here always talk about how GW2 couldn't possibly get new classes to play, yet look at WoW, almost 20 years old and it's been getting a bunch of new classes.  Why can't we?

Why should GW2 get new classes? Elite specializations are better, you can play your existing characters and don’t have to create new ones. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vares.8457 said:

Why should GW2 get new classes? Elite specializations are better, you can play your existing characters and don’t have to create new ones. 

From the developer's standpoint, a new class means revenue from a new character slot, character-bound upgrades, and either peopple having to play longer to level up to 80 or buying max level boosts.

It's up to ArenaNet to decide if that revenue is worth the costs of developing a new class, but there are reasons it might be desirable.

EDIT: Just to note, I'm not advocating they do add new classes. I'm content with elite specs and the classes we have. But there are reasons they might decide to do so.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 2
  • Confused 6

5 hours ago, vares.8457 said:

Because new classes have their own skill types and play styles that are unique. A Chrono Mesmer and Necro has wells right? But are those two classes anything alike if you ran all wells for both classes? No. 

Why?

Because classes are more unique of an experience than Elite Specs are. 

I definitely take a new class in a future expansion. I like Elite Specs, but they don't replace new classes in my eyes. 

I remember in the vanilla game people were screaming that no new classes were needed because the 9 covered everything.  Then comes HoT and Revenant hit the scene proving all those people wrong again.

• Like 1
  • Confused 7

On 1/18/2023 at 11:44 PM, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Sure, I do believe they've started on it and might be close to completion but I don't believe it's done yet just the same. I mean, it's just what I believe. I have zero proof either way.

• Confused 2

Just now, Khalgir.3862 said:

Because it is content and brings in diversity. What's wrong with that?

There is nothing wrong with that. I just prefer elite specializations. Then I don’t have to buy new character slots to make new characters. I can play my existing characters. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, vares.8457 said:

There is nothing wrong with that. I just prefer elite specializations. Then I don’t have to buy new character slots to make new characters. I can play my existing characters. 

Well, the problem with GW2 is that there are no new players, and the evidence from the Steam charts shows that clearly. We need to introduce new content, and it seems like ANet abandoned us.

• Like 2
  • Confused 7

21 minutes ago, Khalgir.3862 said:

Well, the problem with GW2 is that there are no new players, and the evidence from the Steam charts shows that clearly. We need to introduce new content, and it seems like ANet abandoned us.

New content doesn’t have to be a new class. Would a new class even be that interesting to new players? I would think that it appeals more to veteran players. 

Edited by vares.8457
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Khalgir.3862 said:

Well, the problem with GW2 is that there are no new players, and the evidence from the Steam charts shows that clearly.

I see lots of new players in starter zones and LA/DR. I'd even say there's more starting (and returning) players than with any previous expansion.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Khalgir.3862 said:

Agree that they need to get moving on new content.  LS1 was necessary, but it wasn't exactly new.  So, we're basically looking at nearly a year-long new content drought since EoD release.  I imagine I'm not the only long-time player that's bored and barely engaging with GW2 at this point.  So, yes, new content is badly needed.

The lack of new players is an odd take, though.  Steam is currently showing over 4k players right now.  Obviously, that means there are quite a lot more that joined via steam and are still playing the game to some extent.  According to ANet, EoD sales were also higher than previous expansions and the game is growing.  For a 10 year old MMO, that's actually pretty remarkable.  I'd expect decline rather than growth, which is where we were a couple of years ago.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Khalgir.3862 said:

Just because anet doesn't rush new content into the game, doesn't mean they are abandoning the player base, they spent all year 2022 improving the game and getting it ready for steam and giving us lws1, a new strike mission, QOL improvements, balance changes, e.c.t. some of us expect new content will take a little longer, i mean if you don't like it, go play something else.

Edited by stuvvo.4753
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, stuvvo.4753 said:

Just because anet doesn't rush new content into the game, doesn't mean they are abandoning the player base, they spent all year 2022 improving the game and getting it ready for steam and giving us lws1, a new strike mission, QOL improvements, balance changes, e.c.t. some of us expect new content will take a little longer, i mean if you don't like it, go play something else.

Meanwhile other games actually add new content.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Unless most of the playerbase is from launch, I'd guess the Living World Season One content was new to most players.   It would be a feather is ArenaNet's cap if the majority of players have been here 10 years. 

I play from the pre-release headstart weekend but I missed all of LW Season 1. So the re-release of it was all-new content to me. And I'm glad I was finally able to earn most of the associated AP with it. When the original LW S1 was live, I was still slowly making the transition from GW1 to GW2. Working in GW1 at my HoM rewards at the same time. I never realized that LW S1 was temporary content that I was in the process of missing out on. I was just exploring the GW2 base game at the time and slowly leveling to 80.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Unless most of the playerbase is from launch, I'd guess the Living World Season One content was new to most players.   It would be a feather is ArenaNet's cap if the majority of players have been here 10 years. 

Sort of.  First, some elements of LS1 were experienced by players who came late to the party (e.g. the Marionette, visions of the past, Molten Boss/Furnace fractals).  Second, a lot can be inferred regarding the events of LS1 by playing the story content that came later.  So even if you hadn't experienced it in its entirety, it's really not the same as a fully new story experience. 

There's also the fact that LS1 delivered less content than we're used to from story episodes that came after the first expansion.  There were no new maps, masteries, or other unique features aside from a single strike mission.

For me personally, I appreciate some of the things they've done in growing the game for the future including the re-release of LS1, the steam rollout, DX11, etc.  But I still want new content and none of this is scratching that itch for me.  So, the sooner the better on that.  I'd love to hear what the plan is at this point.  

• Thanks 2

EoS content did not kept me on my toes like S4 and Icebrood contents did. I expected new LW content sooner. I don't know how hard is the game to update but since EoD it has been extremly dry, felt like good old mmo maintenance mode with some retention tricks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

21 hours ago, Kozumi.5816 said:

Meanwhile other games actually add new content.

Great, if 'new content' is important to you, then obviously you have choices to go play games that have it. I mean, you realize that GW2 is actually designed so you can come as go as you desire and not fall behind right? When GW2 adds new content, come back ... but in no way does anything another game does ahve to be how Anet operates. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1