Black lion chest drop rate

TsakiVs.5976

Hello everyone,

I want to complain about the drop rate of the black lion chest's loot table. Today I opened 50 black lion chests and I did not get not even one uncommon item. They were all common drops.

I feel so scammed right now and  frustrated that I payed for black lion keys and I did not get any worthy item.

Is that a common issue? If that is the case then I guess it's not worth to actually waste money on these.

• Like 7
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 4

That's usually what happens with these kinds of lootboxes. I try to avoid them as much as possible. Some of my toons just keep the keys I drop from map comp for future use, in case anything interesting pops up in the future.

For reference, I got that Iceberg Skiff skin in 3-4 keys.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, TsakiVs.5976 said:

Hello everyone,

I want to complain about the drop rate of the black lion chest's loot table. Today I opened 50 black lion chests and I did not get not even one uncommon item. They were all common drops.

I feel so scammed right now and  frustrated that I payed for black lion keys and I did not get any worthy item.

Is that a common issue? If that is the case then I guess it's not worth to actually waste money on these.

It’s gambling. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don’t win 50 times in a row. Loot boxes have been and will continue to be a point of contention for gamers and game companies until they are legislated into oblivion. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, TsakiVs.5976 said:

Hello everyone,

Basically: don't gamble if you can't afford to lose.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

Yeah, there's no way I'd spend gold or gems on a BLC.  Their drop tables are dreadful.  I wish they would take the armor repair canisters off.

Tbh, for those who have permanent contracts even sth like temp bank access is annoying to get from a login chest or blc.
With anvils available everywhere canister feels very useless nowadays.

• Like 5

The unfortunate part of this is there are some things locked only inside those chests, like the Halloween ghost jade bot. Any of those exclusives need to make their way to the gem store in some form, maybe 3-6 months after their BLC is cycled out.

That’s the one I used 50 keys and didn’t get it, did get some other decent loot though, and months later when I had some keys, rng was nice enough to give me the Candlewick bot and Iceberg skiff in less than 10 keys. 
so yeah, no guarantees /shrug

• Like 2

Considering the exclusive items in the uncommon tier typically cost 60 black lion statuettes and you're only guaranteed to get 1 per chest it looks like Anet expects 60 chests to be a reasonable attempt to get one of those as a drop. That's the point where they're saying "if you haven't gotten it yet it's ok to stop".

The downside of that is the exclusive items aren't available for statuettes until some time after they're removed from the chest (usually a few months I think) so you'll need to hold onto the statuettes for a while to get it.

But yeah, the whole point of putting these items behind a gambling mechanic is that on average it will end up more expensive for players. If they charged the same amount up-front no one would buy them, but if they can hide it behind a random chance so people think they might be one of the ones who gets lucky and gets it in a few tries they're more willing to keep throwing money at it until they finally succeed and end up spending far more than they would otherwise.

• Like 4

Black Lion Chests are loot boxes, which have a very bad reputation among most gamers. You simply tapped into the reason why they have that reputation.

Also, if I remember correctly, countries like Belgium have outlawed Black Lion Chests along with other loot boxes, because loot boxes are now considered gambling there.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Also, if I remember correctly, countries like Belgium have outlawed Black Lion Chests along with other loot boxes, because loot boxes are now considered gambling there.

They classified it as gambling but not sure why everyone is trying to imply gambling is illegal in Belgium. It does require having an appropriate license and licenses for all the staff.

Edited by Khisanth.2948
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

They classified it as gambling but not sure why everyone is trying to imply gambling is illegal in Belgium. It does require having an appropriate license and licenses for all the staff.

I think it's a combination of over-simplification and mis-information. A lot of game studios didn't bother to apply for a licence, they just blocked players in Belgium from being able to buy loot boxes, so that's all people in other countries heard about: Belgium changed the law and now their residents can't buy loot boxes, so they assume that means it was made illegal.

Presumably the companies involved through it was worth the loss of income and inconvenience to players to take the quick and easy route. I expect the same will happen in the UK if the government ever classifies loot boxes as gambling, because among other things the laws can change based on local authority, and the advice my work gives charities wanting to run lotteries, even in one local authority is "Don't, it's not worth the hassle". We make sure the contests are legally defined as a raffle or tombola instead, so they don't need a gambling licence because the requirements to comply with the licence are more trouble than they're worth unless you're bringing in a lot of money.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

I really doubt game companies, especially Arenanet, have that kind of license though.

That aside, my point was more to paint a clearer picture of what BLCs (and other loot boxes) are and how one should view them.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TsakiVs.5976 said:

Hello everyone,

Hello,

I hate that you had such poor luck with the boxes.  I am not sure if you were trying to get the Koi weapon skins, but there was apparently an issue where they were listed in the boxes but actually they are not obtained through the boxes.  In this case if that was what you were attempting to get you may have a leg to stand on in regards to a refund.

2 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

I really doubt game companies, especially Arenanet, have that kind of license though.

If they would apply for the license, they would admit that their game has gambling elements, therefore they would be under different and more strict laws and taxes. In some (many?) countries it is even required to work along with (and bribe of) a state company, any other forms of gambling is illegal...

• Confused 3