WvW Objective Reward Scaling

Eudaimonia.8695

3 minutes ago, Eudaimonia.8695 said:

What exactly is this? It was mentioned in the spring roadmap and is coming tomorrow. I can't be the only one who noticed this? No one of the PVEers on reddit did, that's for sure.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/studio-update-guild-wars-2-in-2023/

It was talked about in the June blog post way back...
"having rewards earned from attacking or defending objectives scale based on the number of enemies you interact with in a battle. Simply put: fights against other players while attacking or defending an objective will result in that objective being more rewarding than it is today."

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/world-vs-world-update-june-2022/

11 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

It was talked about in the June blog post way back...
"having rewards earned from attacking or defending objectives scale based on the number of enemies you interact with in a battle. Simply put: fights against other players while attacking or defending an objective will result in that objective being more rewarding than it is today."

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/world-vs-world-update-june-2022/

I've heard them talk about it, I was just wondering why it wasn't elaborated upon in the post. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Eudaimonia.8695

1 hour ago, Eudaimonia.8695 said:

The game can hardly track whether I participated in a defence event or not, when I save or don't save a camp for ten years. How can I trust the tiny portion of the Anet Dev resources working on WvW, to figure out the "scaling of rewards based on numbers of enemies you interact with in battle"? I currently lose participation while I am doing that (when I don't kill anyone in the process). Not even a "stop decay while you actively fight"(on the open map) is in place.
Most of the past "tweaks" to WvW have made k-training and flipping stuff quickly the best way to earn anything of notice (WxP, loot, participation etc.) while any other player agency that involves small scale activity, supply & upgrade activities and defence, are part of the WvW mode you only do, because you ignore that lack of any "reward".

Perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised, but forgive me for having serious doubts about what will come next.

Edited by Gorani.7205
corrected grumpily written grammar
  • Like 8

Doesn't really make sense when they're promoting a ktrain mentality now, so of course I expect the rewards will be lopsided to reward blobs even more as usual. Who wants to show up to defend and further hand out more rewards for the attackers? I would laugh if it was tied to tier upgrades too, put in the hard work to upgrade rewards for your enemies!.

Guess who's gonna sit in your garrison lords for an hour trying to farm rewards. 🤭🍿

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

I mainly wonder if that will affect the participation resets. If you'll need a lot more stuff to do. As much as I like the gamemode it also feels stressful that if you aren't actively killing someone or taking something the timer decays and you get nothing. It makes sense that you wouldn't get anything for free. Buuuuut, at the same time it sounds quite newbie unfriendly forcing them into the zerg mindset. You be attacking or defending, if you don't kill someone or take an structure it's as if you did nothing. You might hit 100 people with siege. None dies. Nothing, no participation especially after removing siege attack participation refresh last time. But behold! I spend 10 supply repairing a wall: I get 10 mins reset and defense exp. It was a flawed system from the beginning.

There is also another problem: healers. Will it count I kill (more like tag) 10 enemy players the same as my friend has healed us all for +100K HP? It's always been that if you don't tag anyone and just heal it's as if you hadn't been there. And of course, my dps soulbeast can end a session with 50 bags while the healer firebrand would get a handful.

We'll see if at least it's a step making things better till more things are addressed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In a nutshell, these are additional rewards for participating in objective events in WvW: assaulting or defending towers, keeps, and castles, specifically. The more these objectives are upgraded and defended, the better the end reward will be. There are four cases we’re targeting with additional rewards:

• Successful assaults: flipping control of the objective.
  • Successful defenses: Repel the Attackers events, which end after three minutes.
  • Unsuccessful defenses: losing the objective when the attackers successfully take control of it.
  • Additionally, we want failed assaults to be rewarded in this fashion. This is currently not functioning, and we are working on it for a future update.

quoted from the blog, but the emphasis is mine

Edited by Forgotten Legend.9281

We'll see, just more zerg rewards. 🤷‍♂️

Keep in mind zergs aren't usually the ones that upgrade stuff, it's the little guys on the map taking care of it, the ones flipping camps which aren't even included in the new rewards. But zergs will benefit the most from just coming in defense or attack and get the upgraded rewards for it.

I find it hard to believe they would include any of the good rewards for defense events too, since they're on timed 3 min durations and can happen multiple times in a siege, while the assault one is only on capture, so obviously that should be more rewarding.

Again, we'll see.

Edited by Xenesis.6389
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

It says you can get skirmish tickets and grandmaster mark shards from active participation in tower, keep, and castle events.

Yea....seeing that is is dropping tomorrow, I would hope for better elaboration on that. But at least we won't have to wait long to see.

And for reference:

Lastly, in terms of rewards per time spent, for active participants this system will provide significantly better rewards, including rare equipment bags, WvW Skirmish Claim Tickets, or even Grandmaster Mark Shards.

Edited by idpersona.3810

2 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

It says you can get skirmish tickets and grandmaster mark shards from active participation in tower, keep, and castle events.

Yeah so the drop rate could be incredible low for defense because it happens much more often. Especially if sides now decide to camp out for max participation for captures.

I mean random drop rates for ascended are still incredibly low after all these years, how much you think they will put on 3min drop rates.

Edited by Xenesis.6389
  • Like 1

The only way this will be successful is if the rewards for defending an objective, successful or not, justify the risks and possibly escalate. Actively defending an objective multiple times would help.

Also if they want map-wide participation, they should consider better rewards for defending smaller scale objectives like camps and dolyaks. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1