Are we loosing him ? Mighty teapot

You're forgetting something important. The majority of the playerbase, even veterans like myself, play the game because it's easily accessible compared to other MMOs and do not require you to only do raids/strikes etc. like other games do. So I'll put it out straight: if this game was "1 mistake and you instantly die and gear only matters" type of game, me and a lot of other people would quit the game instantly. Should we remember the Heart of Thorns "episode" and the reactions most people had in Dragon's End meta when End of Dragons came out?

Not every game needs to be "if I don't have perfect stats and if I don't dodge this in a millisecond, the whole party wipes" type of games. Can't believe it's been 11 years and some people still think "git gud" games are the "be all and end all" . I don't wanna "git gud", I play games for fun. And many other people do the same. That's why we have other MMOs for people who think gear and hard content si everything.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 2

Yeah, I don't play video games for the 'challenge'. Well. Except for Pong. I have enough challenges to deal with in this thing called Life. I play video games for fun and diversion. Learning to solo some hokey pokey champion or whatever in GW2 is not as much fun for me as, say, learning the guitar solo in Zeppelin's Fool In The Rain. Say what you will about Jimmy Page's sloppy live performances, especially after 1973, but on the records he remains unsurpassed in his, ah, unmitigated musical geniosity. But, ya know, different strokes and all that. So.

• Like 10
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Crono.4197 said:

You're forgetting something important. The majority of the playerbase, even veterans like myself, play the game because it's easily accessible compared to other MMOs and do not require you to only do raids/strikes etc. like other games do. So I'll put it out straight: if this game was "1 mistake and you instantly die and gear only matters" type of game, me and a lot of other people would quit the game instantly. Should we remember the Heart of Thorns "episode" and the reactions most people had in Dragon's End meta when End of Dragons came out?

Not every game needs to be "if I don't have perfect stats and if I don't dodge this in a millisecond, the whole party wipes" type of games. Can't believe it's been 11 years and some people still think "git gud" games are the "be all and end all" . I don't wanna "git gud", I play games for fun. And many other people do the same. That's why we have other MMOs for people who think gear and hard content si everything.

Exactly why ileft wow after 10k hours to play GW2 and have never looked back since.  

• Like 13

I’m a casual player who doesn’t do instanced content, but I’ve benefited from Teapot and Hardstuck. He got me playing offensive support builds in OW, and I discovered it was a lot of fun to be supporting others in metas and bounties.

I’ve also appreciated how upbeat he has been about the game until recently. Even now, as he’s clearly burnt out and disillusioned, he’s careful to say that GW2 is not the game for him, but that it’s still good for people who want something different.

GW2 has been better for having him. I hope he finds his competitive scene he’s longing for.

• Like 10

I'm adding my name to the list of veteran players who are here because GW2 is casual-friendly and don't want more harder content.

I don't mind harder content sometimes as an optional extra for when I want the challenge, but I wouldn't want it to be something I have to do and certainly not the main focus of the game. Even if I had time for it that kind of thing has never really appealed to me. I play RPGs to wander around and see what I can find and what happens when I do. (Also when I do want challenging combat I prefer slower, more tactical games over action combat. I like the challenge to be preparing and selecting the right combinations of abilities, not mashing the buttons quickly enough.)

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Nightcore.5621 said:

Half the new playerbase started cuz of him

You suffer from a strange parasocial relationship with your streamer. I've been playing for ten years and never heard of him and as others here write, I don't care if his band of sheep led by him leave. It's a negligible part of the community

Edited by Loctar.3987
  • Like 22
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

The head programmer at WoW once said that only 5% of the people playing do mythic raids.  So what are the other 95% of the playerbase doing?  A developer left Lotro a while ago and said that only 10% of the population ever raided or PvPed, but they account for 50% of all forum posts.  It's nice that that's what you hear, but you know what that is? Annecdotal.

I'mma just yoink this for later, when this argument inevitably comes up again and hardcore players really assuming they make up the majority.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

What is "half the new playerbase" then? If you just a few new playerse come in and he is responsible for half of them while the majority of the playerbase is still old/veteran players ... it still would not be a big deal.

Also as some others mentiond: There is a difference to other MMORG that is intended. The main target audience is the causals and it is better to focus on them instead of making a lil bit hardcore elitist content to get a handful of powergames while losing big on the main target audience.

Keep in mind that for power gamers there exist a lot of other MMORPG and GW2 then would have to compete with them - making it much harder. Especially since the other games have much more content in that area and are more dedicated to it. To find a niche can have its own advantages.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

They did with with Heart of Thorns, you know. Listened to the "old veterans". 

You mean the most successful and profitable period of GW2?

The most well liked period, as well?

Weird that the game was a massive well-liked success and financially sound when they made a game for gamers instead of mobile autobattler enjoyers.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 17

Teapot, his principles, and band of followers are unhealthy for GW2.  I watch him a lot and believe in what he says about being competitive, but it's all cope.  Every other minute we hear complaints about how commanders are abused for having stupid expectations, like 100% alac uptime on trivial content like IBS 5 or whatever.  The elephant in the room is that other than CM content, literally NOTHING requires any alac, any quickness, or anything less than 10 bodies to put in the instance.  If you've ever been booted for queueing dps into a group for ez-roll content, you have Teapot's followers to thank for that.

The elitist legacy has made a mountain out of a mole hill, and the casuals are the ones getting left in the dust because of the ego it creates.  I appreciate his enthusiasm and drive to be a well-tuned MMO-player, but the majority of this game is not the place for it.  And tbh, most gamers are too old, busy, and tired to genuinely care about competitive play anymore.  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 8

15 minutes ago, keykey.9182 said:

This post will be flooded with Confused Emotes , because I know how simple minds work.

Not really true. I use the confused similey like most people - and used it to show that I disagree. (+ a lot of stuff was just weird and silly and far away from the truth) Personally I do not have kids and I play the game a ton. But I also play other games and have other hobbies. (So I still have a life while "power games" that repeateadly like to grind out the "hard" content do not.)

The game has a lot of stuff to do - you can go for achievements, completion and stuff - and not pay a lot of money. (I barely buy skins. Got most of the stuff I bought on sale and outside of the expansions I buy mainly utility stuff like bank slot expansions and stuff like that.)

"Challenging content" to me means the typical 14yo kiddie sitting in voice doing "raids" (letting himself baited into playing raid content repeatedly over and over and over ... to get loot required that is needed to be able to play the next raid in the vertical progressoin, typicval gear treadmill trap and he walks into it cause kids do not recognize such stuff, are not mature yet enough). That is what I do not want. That is why I still like GW2.

I want to keep my life. Not turning my brain off going into "robo" mode playing full optimized builds (no freedom, no own personality/fun allowed) just to push my ego by getting better and better in vertical progression. I do not need that cause somewhere in the past I grew up and acquired the skill to recognize the gear treadmill trap. I kept my own personality with the brain active and buying only what I want/need. (I even use cheap old karma vendor cause I do not like the gem store skins with too much visual effects lol.)

Also: People that want the real challenge should focus on PvP content only imo. They can complain that the PvP in GW2 is bad and other games have better PvP. But would be weird to talk about all that silly raid grind stuff. Once you have turned off your brain and optimized the "robo mode" (playing optimized build dictated by some websites and other pro gamers) the bosses always have the same mechanics. Will still in the end be repetitive stuff and not a "challenge" I guess. Just more time consuming. (We can already have time consuming stuff in GW2 if we try to go for completion everythere.)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

40 minutes ago, Kozumi.5816 said:

Most liked period?  You mean when players left GW2 in droves after HoT release and the forum was chocked full of complaint threads?  That period?

EDIT: the same period that caused Anet to make significant changes to their release in order to retain players?

Edited by kharmin.7683
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kozumi.5816 said:

Weird that the game was a massive well-liked success and financially sound when they made a game for gamers instead of mobile autobattler enjoyers.

You didn't follow the aftermath of HOT so well. It sold a lot of copies before it launched. The launch was NOT well received.  It was a buggy mess from the start, much buggier than any expansion since.  You couldn't finish the last story half the time you tried it. The penalty box in that story, which was bragged about before the expansion launched, turned out to be one of the most reviled features. There are still bugs in HoT from the time it launched.  Anet had to waste one of it's quarterly updates to make hot more palatable to casual players by adding vet events, turning a few champs to vets, decoupling day from night and thinning out the enemy groups in some areas. They didn't do this because HoT was wonderful and popular. They did this because HoT drove a number of players away from the game. Sales not only fell off, but fell to previously unknown lows. It's no wonder PoF was created to be the anti-hot.

Instead of big huge metas define zones, the zones were more explorable in the way it was in teh core game. Bounties pretty much replaced metas, because people complained about everything being on a timer.  Hero points were created to be soloable, without needing a group to do any of them. 

The HoT launch was a HoT mess and I know because I was there.  The entire community rebeled against needed 400 hero points to unlock your elite spec. The entire community rebeled about needing poison resistance to continue the story. Both of these things were changed, because though the hard core crowd demanded harder content, the casual crowd acted by walking. And some of those people didn't come back. That's why Anet continues to court them to this day. Make it so they feel disenfranchised and they can't get the stuff they want (resonable or not), they take their ball and go home.  I had many people in my casual guild who either stopped playing when HoT came out or took a loooooooooong break.

Now, I loved HoT. Loved it. I lived in HoT. I take any excuse to return to it, even to this day, but it was too hard for the masses, and it hurt the game. The devs know it, or PoF would have been more like HoT.

The real evidence is in the actions of the company. HOT was not well received by everyone. Those who like it, like me, think it's the best expansion the game has. Those who didn't like it, dislike it with such passion that it drove  them away from the game for a period of time.  HoT caused this game to downslide, it was doing fine BEFORE HoT.  HoT hurt the game. You don't have to believe it.  But I'm pretty kitten sure that it's true.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 3

Gw2 has always been known for this casual nature but I feel one of the main problem that has affected certain parts of the game is the change in attitudes towards them both by anet and the playerbase.

Before the was a clear definition between "easy" casual content and "more challenging" casual content, as in the casual aspect of the game was that you picked what content you wanted to do based on enjoyment, your personal skill level and drive. Like certain qol items in game were, and still aren't, required to play the game (legendaries being the most obvious example) and for those who wanted said items it was a case that more effort was required in order to obtain this reward. It was a long term goal to work towards.

Now it has been suggested and somewhat encouraged that everyone have access to this content, features or items for little to not effort which has enforced attitudes of entitlement and instant gratification. For some this is considered a good thing as aspects of the game that they wish to obtain from seeing other players who already have access to are now easier to reach. However this means that those who have worked on and enjoyed these aspects of the game no longer see it as challenging, fun or worth their efforts which is why such people then find themselves "burnt out" or trying to find a similar experience in other games. The more they cater to a certain group of the playerbase the more likely that the other group are gonna jump ship.

Its unclear in the long term how the current direction anet are taking the game is going to affect the playerbase but I have found that a lot of my friends and I disheartened by certain changes in the game so far.

Tldr: the game isn't what it used to be and some of those who enjoyed how gw2 was when they started playing are starting to feel the affects of the changes in the game's direction in the last few years.

Edited by Dibit.6259
Typos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

6 minutes ago, Dibit.6259 said:

Gw2 has always been known for this casual nature but I feel one of the main problem that has affected certain parts of the game is the change in attitudes towards them both by anet and the playerbase.

Before the was a clear definition between "easy" casual content and "more challenging" casual content, as in the casual aspect of the game was that you picked what content you wanted to do based on enjoyment, your personal skill level and drive. Like certain qol items in game were, and still aren't, required to play the game (legendaries being the most obvious example) and for those who wanted said items it was a case that more effort was required in order to obtain this reward. It was a long term goal to work towards.

Now it has been suggested and somewhat encouraged that everyone have access to this content, features or items for little to not effort which has enforced attitudes of entitlement and instant gratification. For some this is considered a good thing as aspects of the game that they wish to obtain from seeing other players who already have access to are now easier to reach. However this means that those who have worked on and enjoyed these aspects of the game no longer see it as challenging, fun or worth their efforts which is why such people then find themselves "burnt out" or trying to find a similar experience in other games. The more they cater to a certain group of the playerbase the more likely that the other group are gonna jump ship.

Its unclear in the long term how the current direction anet are taking the game is going to affect the playerbase but I have found that a lot of my friends and I disheartened by certain changes in the game so far.

Tldr: the game isn't what it used to be and some of those who enjoyed how gw2 was when they started playing are starting to feel the affects of the changes in the game's direction in the last few years.

I've lost track of how much I've seen this sort of post in every MMO I've ever played, often after expansions are released.  Wrath babies were a thing, am I right?  WoW didn't launch classic, because people were happy with Pandaria  Every game MMO I've played has evolved over time, lost some people and gained others. It's always been that way.  Cause it's hard to keep people playing a game for years, and no one really has the formula. WoW, who  at one point had 12.4 million subscribers, dropped to under 4 million before they stopped reporting. Seems to me that this is the nature of MMOs. Some people are unhappy and leave, because MMOs pretty much have to change, and other people come aboard, because of those changes. And some people, like me, stay throughout, because I know it will change and I play it all, and like a lot of it. I raid, I play WvW, I tried not to PvP, but everything else I do. Fractals, story, exploration, legendary crafting, jumping puzzles, raiding, teaching, running a guild, guild missions (still to this day), trading, crafting...I'm into everything, even on more than one account.  

I can see why harder core players would be frustrated. But you guys have an idea of what you want, and Anet can't deliver it without affecting other things. Honestly the combination of Covid and an Amazon Game studio opening down the block probably hurt this game more than anything else.  But I think this new expansion is quite good and I think time will prove that this is the right track. You may not be on the train by the time the game gets to the next station, and we'll miss you guys, but that doesn't mean there isn't motion in a direction for the first time in a while.  Many people will leave, others will sign on, and I'll be here waiting to see where this train takes me.

Whatever happens, if this game isn't it, I hope you find the game of your dreams.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Finally a doomer thread to get behind./s

When is the next quarterly from NCSoft? We might get a nice roll over into those doom threads.

I enjoy watching Teapot occasionally and I really appreciate the work he puts into hardstuck and the guides for players they put out. Still it was only a matter of time until he burned out again.

He gets to enjoy his leisure time the way he wants, even if that is with WoW (wouldn't be my first choice with the current games catalogue out but he has an audience to cater to).

Do I celebrate this? No, because I am not a moron. He is/was a good pr machine for GW2.

Do I think this'll doom the game? No, there are other issues which are far more concerning.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 8
  • Confused 2

Yeah the game is too easy for PvE, that's for sure. The only reasonably challenging content outside organized big groups is fractal CMs or SAB trib mode (and only if you don't follow a guide). Back when Heart of Thorns released, that was in my opinion the perfect difficulty level... Or perhaps Orr pre nerf, but HoT required you to understand mobs and what they did moreso than Orr. Players had to work together, ACTUALLY work together, instead of just showing up to a commander tag. Nevertheless, players don't like challenge, not truly, so Arena Net catered to the lowest common denominator. It is what it is, and while I have no kittens to give about some internet personality parading themselves on the twitches and youtubes instead of having a job or practical hobby, I do sympathise with the criticism. It's my one issue with SotO as well - all this mysticism, hinting at a threat more malevolent than the Dragon cycle. And yet, zero danger anywhere.

Edited by nosleepdemon.1368
  • Like 2
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

Content creators both on YouTube and Twitch, help to keep the games visibility and relevancy up, although it has to be organic.

That's why ArenaNet is sponsoring people to advertise the game on Twitch, especially since there's been a launch of a new expansion.

Unfortunately, the game itself isn't that popular to watch. The content just isn't there in the long term, to keep people watching everyday,  besides for those supporting their favourite streamers.

They will start doing variety, to stop themselves from burning out, from forcing themselves to play the game, even during Content droughts.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, CrimsonOneThree.5682 said:

Content creators both on YouTube and Twitch, help to keep the games visibility and relevancy up, although it has to be organic.

That's why ArenaNet is sponsoring people to advertise the game on Twitch, especially since there's been a launch of a new expansion.

Unfortunately, the game itself isn't that popular to watch. The content just isn't there in the long term, to keep people watching everyday,  besides for those supporting their favourite streamers.

They will start doing variety, to stop themselves from burning out, from forcing themselves to play the game, even during Content droughts.

Yeah it's just not as exciting to watch as other MMO like WoW, New World, ESO, I guess FF14, and Sea of Thieves (does that even count as an MMO?). 

• Confused 8

1 hour ago, Vayne.8563 said:

I've lost track of how much I've seen this sort of post in every MMO I've ever played, often after expansions are released.  Wrath babies were a thing, am I right?  WoW didn't launch classic, because people were happy with Pandaria  Every game MMO I've played has evolved over time, lost some people and gained others. It's always been that way.  Cause it's hard to keep people playing a game for years, and no one really has the formula. WoW, who  at one point had 12.4 million subscribers, dropped to under 4 million before they stopped reporting. Seems to me that this is the nature of MMOs. Some people are unhappy and leave, because MMOs pretty much have to change, and other people come aboard, because of those changes. And some people, like me, stay throughout, because I know it will change and I play it all, and like a lot of it. I raid, I play WvW, I tried not to PvP, but everything else I do. Fractals, story, exploration, legendary crafting, jumping puzzles, raiding, teaching, running a guild, guild missions (still to this day), trading, crafting...I'm into everything, even on more than one account.  

I can see why harder core players would be frustrated. But you guys have an idea of what you want, and Anet can't deliver it without affecting other things. Honestly the combination of Covid and an Amazon Game studio opening down the block probably hurt this game more than anything else.  But I think this new expansion is quite good and I think time will prove that this is the right track. You may not be on the train by the time the game gets to the next station, and we'll miss you guys, but that doesn't mean there isn't motion in a direction for the first time in a while.  Many people will leave, others will sign on, and I'll be here waiting to see where this train takes me.

Whatever happens, if this game isn't it, I hope you find the game of your dreams.

I actually enjoyed the new expansion myself, much more than EoD anyway.

I don't know what gw2 will bring in the future but some current and past changes within the game have affected my enjoyment of the game and I worry for the future of progression. I know these changes don't affect everyone but I can see it has affected certain groups of people. Of course games are always subject to change but I think that the rate of which these changes is what's deterring some of the playerbase.

I think that for me personally I miss aspects of the from the game that I first enjoyed (e.g class unique buffs). I won't argue that the game doesn't need to change and adapt to keep itself relevant but I'm not convinced all the changes thus far have been the best.

Even if I am to move on I wish the game the best of luck.

Edited by Dibit.6259
Typos
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3