Why are the story quests so effing hard? Why?

Spicoli.6807

1 hour ago, Parasite.5389 said:

given that there are no "Fail conditions" in this game(for story at least), you can just keep respawning from checkpoint and body-slam your way through most story missions

That attitude is exactly the problem the OP is having: they're trying to brute-force their way through by just killing everything until enemies stop coming at a point when they cannot do that. They need to stop trying to "body-slam their way through" and follow the instructions they've been given by the game.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

This mission only requires 2 fights and pressing F 7 times to complete. 
If I recall correctly, the fights defending the gates and the interior are on timers, not kill counts, and once you recover the Artifact, the NPCs get a buff and can kill the risen and retake the fort on their own. This means you are only required to fight the risen at the logging camp and the group inside at the asura gates, and only if the NPCs at those two locations get killed before they can kill them, which doesn't always happen.

If you are having any trouble at the logging camp and at the room with the asura gates, your gear may be too low below your level. 
If your gear is already within 5 levels of your level, then you can only get better at fighting.

If you are having trouble with the giants that appear at the end of the defense of the north gate, looks like the problem here may be reading comprehension or paying attention to the event log and NPC voices, because you are supposed to rush in and fall back, and close the doors behind you, not fight the giants. 
The fights before falling back to the interior of the fort are designed to be a loss, enemies will just respawn endlessly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parasite.5389 said:

given that there are no "Fail conditions" in this game(for story at least), you can just keep respawning from checkpoint and body-slam your way through most story missions

I don't disagree here.  I've managed to "die" my way through some rather than "body-slam", but the result is the same.  It's not enjoyable content for me when that happens, so I often just skip story chapters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Spicoli.6807 said:

I researched my role, greastsword reaper. Im doing the rotation the guides recommend... yet IM GETTING WRECKED.  I have all orange-con Berserker gear. Can't find anything better on the market than what I have.

There are no roles in open world or story. You are all roles in one character. I recommend having at least one reliable condition cleanse and one stun break ability at your disposal.

There are no rotations in open world or story (or pvp). You have to press buttons depending on situation.

Berserker is ok but you will die faster than for example marauder. But on reaper you have a second lifebar so should be fine.

But your problem is most likely just not doing the instance correctly.

• Like 4

You can also ask for help. Either from a guild. or friends. or even just in a city chat or on the forums. Plenty of players (in my experience) are willing to help random strangers with tasks. Then just party up and head in to your story task. 

Better if you're both on the same story step, but that seems unlikely outside of the newest content. In any case, the community is usually pretty good about these sorts of things.

Also also, setting up a tankier build may help with some of the harder mechanics in some story steps.

• Like 3

Zerker gear is great for group content, as a DPS. It allows you to focus on dishing out pure damage while other professions heal/buff you. For solo content, get something with more survivability. You're basically a glass cannon in Zerker gear. Get some toughness/vitality to help you last longer. Some protection skills wouldn't hurt either, since you don't have others to rely on. When you're just free roaming/doing solo content, don't try to use a meta build that is designed for min/max group content. Run a balanced build to keep yourself protected and still able to do decent damage.

Otherwise from what I read here, you just needed to run. Listen to the surroundings and pay attention to your quest steps. At that point in the story, you aren't meant to stay there and fight. You need to run and close the gate.

If you ever struggle and feel like something is too much, don't get discouraged, ask for help. There is a LFG section in game for story help. As well, ask in map chat (preferably a city like LA/DR). One thing this game has going for it is a friendly helpful community. Most people are always willing to lend a hand if needed (especially to new players). Even finding a guild would help.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Okay, that one isn't as easy as "The Battle for Fort Trinity", but it is also very easy once you get the hang of it and avoid certain AoEs and kill the spawning add with the Divine Fire before it can extinguish a flame.

LOL. Yeah, once you know how to do it perfectly it's easy. Like so many things in life...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/28/2023 at 4:11 PM, kharmin.7683 said:

Some players are more able than others.  What you find "seriously easy" other find taxing or at least frustrating.  I'm sorry that you can't understand how others can have difficulty with story missions.  Not everyone is as apt as you.

This is what the most guildwars 2 players are missing (on the forum) the lack of skill to imagine others situation. 

my hardest battle was in tarir (hot story) where i was inside a ring of thorns. It seems bugged. I had to kill 4 or 5 things but as soon 1 was destroyed another grew or spawned already. I got furious in that battle. Because storys are most times already a stresstest. And didnt want to start over again. It was for legendary amulet. 

the return achievement caused the opposite. I quit. 

Edited by Holmindeboks.3490
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

20 hours ago, Spicoli.6807 said:

Getting absolutely wrecked. Not even coming remotely close to completing it. Same quest I was stuck on 2 years ago when I left. I just wanna get to the new content. My god. I researched my role, greastsword reaper. Im doing the rotation the guides recommend... yet IM GETTING WRECKED.  I have all orange-con Berserker gear. Can't find anything better on the market than what I have.

It is sad that only 2 ppl mentioned your actuall problem. Quite common issue in GW2 is that ppl just search for dps build and first thing they find is dps builds for instanced content where you have healer and all other boons provided by someone else. Not really useful for open world or story.

Check Lord Hizen's vids on youtube since he post builds with high dps for solo content. Keep in mind that full berserk is for pure dps build and with some small changes you will loose like 10% dps and get huge survivability boost.

Try this build:

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?PSDBs+pjlJwAZKMPGJOuKnNVA-DyIY1on%2FMCUKkrKQhfACRg2DvGQMtBqA-e

You can get exotic gear at WvW vendor. Not really needs to do WvW just port in and check golem at base camp. All gear is stat selectable.

Older vid here:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, idpersona.3810 said:

You can also ask for help. Either from a guild. or friends. or even just in a city chat or on the forums. Plenty of players (in my experience) are willing to help random strangers with tasks. Then just party up and head in to your story task. 

Better if you're both on the same story step, but that seems unlikely outside of the newest content. In any case, the community is usually pretty good about these sorts of things.

Also also, setting up a tankier build may help with some of the harder mechanics in some story steps.

There is also a lot of video on Youtube where one can see what is expected to happen during story content in case OP are stuck in other story content in the future.

@Spicoli.6807

Take look on this video for how this part of story are supposed to work out for you. There is a lot more video from this content creator that might be helpful, and you will find more if you search on YT with "GW2" and name of that story section or in case you will be working on achievement from story, to use that name in the yellow badge for that achievement.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

LOL. Yeah, once you know how to do it perfectly it's easy. Like so many things in life...

I'm not sure if there's an actual name for it but I call them puzzle bosses. The puzzle is learning their attack pattern and finding out when (and sometimes how) you can damage them. In some games all bosses work like that, you're either going to fail on the first try or at least spend the first few 'rounds' of the fight not doing any damage, then once you figure out the trick it's relatively easy, but you need to be willing to experiment and see what works instead of just using a standard attack rotation and hoping for the best.

A lot of meta-event bosses are the same, but usually don't need the entire group to do the right things to make them vulnerable, so some players can get through it by just attacking. The mordrem spitfires during Dragon's Stand for example, you have to kill the vinetenders or the spitfire isn't vulnerable, but it only takes a few players to kill them so if the rest don't notice and just keep hitting the spitfire it won't make much difference.

But if you're playing solo (as I think a lot of people do in story instances) you have to be the one to figure it out.

2 hours ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

It is sad that only 2 ppl mentioned your actuall problem. Quite common issue in GW2 is that ppl just search for dps build and first thing they find is dps builds for instanced content where you have healer and all other boons provided by someone else. Not really useful for open world or story.

I agree that a pure-DPS build is not a good choice when you're playing solo. But the best build in the world wouldn't help the OP with this specific story step because it's impossible to progress the story by killing the enemies. Even if you could defeat them all (and a very good player with a good build might well be able to do that) it will just spawn more waves. Best case scenario is you get to a point where the game just stops spawning new enemies and then you're still stuck until you go through the gate and close it like you're told to.

There's a Guild Wars 1 story mission like that. Your character discovers the charr army coming towards Ascalon, it's a very low level mission and that game doesn't have level scaling so if you do it on a high level character it's actually possible to defeat the entire army (which is relatively small, about 20 enemies if I remember right), but that doesn't actually change anything,. It means you can take your time going back to the Wall instead of running ahead of the army, but the mission will never end until you do and when you get there the NPCs will still react as if a huge army is coming towards them.

Story instances often work that way. It doesn't matter if you're the best player in the world and can solo everything in the game, if the ending is a scripted 'failure' you're going to have to fail to progress it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

Check Lord Hizen's vids on youtube since he post builds with high dps for solo content. Keep in mind that full berserk is for pure dps build and with some small changes you will loose like 10% dps and get huge survivability boost.

Try this build:

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?PSDBs+pjlJwAZKMPGJOuKnNVA-DyIY1on%2FMCUKkrKQhfACRg2DvGQMtBqA-e

You can get exotic gear at WvW vendor. Not really needs to do WvW just port in and check golem at base camp. All gear is stat selectable.

Older vid here:

This is unrelated to the op’s problem. You can do fort trinity with no consideration to build. As has been established, they were trying to overcome an un completable section instead of following the mission.

No external build sites are required for story content. Doubly so for core story

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tythan.2936 said:

Wouldn't that be the part of the mission where it says "RUN AWAY !!" and endless waves of ennemies keep coming until you actually run away deeper inside the Fort ? Provide more details ty.

Everything in that first part of the story (Zaithan storyline) can be done solo (except the very last mission/dungeon), and it was made before Reaper even existed.

That is the one, where it is not that hard to just nuke all of the enemies, in the attack wave, only to have to retreat deeper into the fort because story said so 🙂

Also, Victory of Death has been updated some long time ago to be a soloable instance instead of story mode of dungeon. May be tougher on some classes than other, but did it solo on two characters without much problem.

• Like 1

Ok.  I went through and read all the comments.

First of all, relax, get a glass of iced tea, and try this again when you are in a "I can do this" state of mind.

I concur with the others that instead of retreating into the fort and closing the gate behind you, you were probably trying to fight all the waves of mobs.

I tried that once. Ended up giving it up and running into the fort with my tail between my legs 🙂

Anyways, once in, just follow the instructions.  The game will tell you what to do.

I seriously wish all the living world stories were of this difficulty 🙂

Anyways, Grab that drink, throw back your shoulders, and back into the fray with you 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/28/2023 at 7:36 AM, Spicoli.6807 said:

Getting absolutely wrecked. Not even coming remotely close to completing it. Same quest I was stuck on 2 years ago when I left. I just wanna get to the new content. My god. I researched my role, greastsword reaper. Im doing the rotation the guides recommend... yet IM GETTING WRECKED.  I have all orange-con Berserker gear. Can't find anything better on the market than what I have.

This stupid Battle for Fort Trinity story quest. Here I am leaving again because I can't progress past this poorly tuned quest.

Literally hanging on by a thread again in this game.

Wrong frame of mind. Your question should be "What am I doing wrong?" rather than assuming the game is too hard. Spoiler: It's not. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

You are necro, go minion master.

And Berserker is for people who know how to survive (or how to get away if needed), not ones who get wrecked. Try marauder.

And at defending the gate you need to go to Trahearne after a while. Dont miss that point.

It is not hard at all. Or better said, if you think that is hard, then no need to proceed. HoT story will be your hell then.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

It is as with most content: It is not hard, once you know what is expected from you.
Unfortunately that is not often made clear enough, easy to miss hints from NPCs while struggling in combat.

Posting that video of the instance and Hizen's video on solo builds should make your life a lot easier.
If you are still struggling, you can take friends with you in Party Mode. Core story really doesn't scale to player amount.

Hope you get through.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Personally, what makes GW2 so hard for me is that it's a relatively fast paced game with little to no indication of enemy npc abilities besides "coloured circle on ground" and sometimes "bullet hell". Something you don't have to worry about in personal story, at least.

What REMOVES all difficulty from the game is that you can just fight and respawn until all the enemies are dead, because very few story-related enemies actually reset when you die (something I HOPED would change after HoT's hearts and minds, but it seems Mordremoth was a uniquely hardcore dragon). 

But take this with a grain of salt.

Edited by Westenev.5289
Gotta farm those confused faces.
  • Confused 2

On 11/28/2023 at 7:11 AM, kharmin.7683 said:

Some players are more able than others.  What you find "seriously easy" other find taxing or at least frustrating.  I'm sorry that you can't understand how others can have difficulty with story missions.  Not everyone is as apt as you.

The correct way to go about this isn't to be condescending.  Difficulty in this game isn't as subjective as you'd think, since it all comes down to the variety of tasks, the time pressure, and the damage pressure.

That all said, as someone with several years of education experience under my belt, one of the hardest parts about being a good teacher is the psychiatry part.  I have to, with very limited time, information, and communication skills, derive the rough history and attitude of a person and reverse-engineer the problems that are causing a lack of understanding.  More often than not, the problem that somebody is having with math and science isn't from the operations, but from bad lessons in their past, or a lack of proper research and study skills, an inability to read textbooks and tests, etc.  It makes sense, after all, since the person has already received direct instruction before they'd walk through my door, so simply re-feeding them the same lessons won't work.

The job was endlessly creative and challenging.  What I managed to do felt only like the tip of the iceberg, and I've left there convinced that Dyslogia is a real thing.  Those lessons can be applied to... nearly anything.  Case in point, if somebody is struggling with something as easy as core story missions, it means there is something obvious that has been overlooked.  All this talk of buildcraft is an aside; the mission is designed to be completed by underleveled core professions wearing assorted blue gear with questionable competency.  It is more likely that the OP plays the game with the sound off and the chat window closed, and thus never received the message that they're supposed to close the gates to the fort.  It is also likely that the OP's attitude was to just ignore everything and mash buttons, thus they've trained themselves to not pay attention to updating mission objectives.  There's even a slim chance that they are disabled, and new information just doesn't get processed in their head.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 11/28/2023 at 2:48 PM, Spicoli.6807 said:

Well if it only gets harder sounds like this isn't the game for me. Not sure why this is hard for me. I've played every mmo since my first 300bps modem and never had issues like this. 

A. gonna call you out on this, because thats basically impossible given the mass wave of MMOs during the 2010s, most of which required exclusive focus to keep up with.  And anything before WOW is harder than Guildwars 2’s core maps by a multi dimensional curve.  There is no way you played all those games short of quitting past 20 hours.

B. Only season 2 and HOT in GW2 are hard without especs.  once you have fully coherent espec build, that hurdle is forever cleared. you are now walking incarnation of power creep, and only threatened by your own lack knowledge about basic mechanics like dodge, and ted aoe circles. 

C. Stop being so dramatic. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I can get if it's your first playthrough and you've got a serious case of tunnel vision because 'oo, new things over here' and you don't read the mission objectives properly. I am very guilty of this as well and have many deaths to my name for that very reason. You live and learn - take your first time playthroughs with many grains of salt and maybe a stiff drink.

The Battle of Fort Trinity has a lot of stages. Just keep an eye on what you *should* be doing and do that thing. Ignore Trahearne - his pathing is jank and he might stay outside the walls regardless until you actually shut the gates where his plot armor teleports him to safety.

Surprised nobody mentioned the final boss of Head of the Snake yet, in that far too tiny room with the disorienting spinning walls and bloodstone shards raining down *everywhere* and way too many AOEs. That one gave me an ulcer.

Edited by Caitmonster.9036
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Caitmonster.9036 said:

Surprised nobody mentioned the final boss of Head of the Snake yet, in that far too tiny room with the disorienting spinning walls and bloodstone shards raining down *everywhere* and way too many AOEs. That one gave me an ulcer.

Funny thing i was feeling like ranting about the snake.

It is horrible. I agree that there are too many aoe, and the boss has too much invulnerability uptime, also the reaction time for magic dispel is too short for casuals.

Could AN chill with invulnerable boss in story mission. Yes they need time to say their cool monologue, but the snake wasnt even talking much.

Very frustrating fight for no reason.

• Sad 1