Discussion Thread: ArenaNet News of 21 February 2019 [Merged]

Gaile Gray.6029

@ScottBroChill.3254 said:

@ScottBroChill.3254 said:Maybe NCsoft is trying to save the game? Most of their newer games died off and maybe they saw guild wars 2 was heading downhill or on a similar path to those other games, especially if Anet was mismanaging seeing as they weren't focusing enough on this game and instead on other projects that never saw the light of day. Maybe the decision to skip the expansion was enough for NCsoft to stop it because investors will see a lack of sales hike at the usual time and it won't necessarily look good if its just small price hikes from living story episodes and gemshop sales, which those gemstore sales will eventually decline because of the lack of substantial content. The living story is neat and all, but they all have to be made individually, they divide the playerbase, become obsolete fast, and they lose the ability to make grand big content that all works together like the expansions do.

We can't really say whether this is a bad or good thing yet. But I honestly wouldn't be opposed to the game going in a different direction if it doesn't mean a new microtransaction and p2w scheme.

I seriously doubt that NCsoft's way of "saving" the game will be of any benefit to the average GW2 player. Having experience with other NCsoft titles it is likely they will double down on short term profits while the game is on its last legs, meaning more microtransactions, lootboxes, tampering with in game economy/gem exchange etc. Anyone looking could see increased signs of this even before the layoffs, with Anet focusing more on gem store monetization than ever before over the past year. The pressure on them by the parent company for increased profits is pretty clear.

I mean before this merger wasn't Anet responsible for the focusing more on gem store monetization? I mean you gotta take what JP says with a grain of salt but if you were to believe its true, Anet bumped up gemstore monetization to basically decieve NCsoft and investors to avoid the knowledge of how much resources they were pumping into other projects. And secondly, GW2 is a very western mmo, it would be ridiculous for NCsoft to try and use a korean or asian market strategy for this game. Now, they could be completely stupid like they have in the past with CoH, but we can almost see a change of heart in terms of how they handle western games by how they let wildstar basically linger for a long time without making any profits holding on to hope that it would succeed. If we are judgin by what they have done with wildstar, then they will let the game run until its in the red and then some more. Furthermore, maybe they were seeing similar management trends between the failing games and the currently successful GW2 franchise.

In terms of listening to the community or at least having an open dialogue with us in terms of game direction, Anet of has been pretty silent as well as almost completely ignoring the communities wants. It wouldn't be such a problem if they discussed the game direction and what kind of substance they would bring to it, but they never did. The last big thing they announced was the WvW restructuring and we still know nothing about it.

Maybe I'm looking at it glass half full because I'm on the other half who hasn't been digging the game direction for awhile.

Of course Anet's management decisions played a part in all this but when it comes to monetization it's all about NCsoft's targets. Don't forget we are talking about the same NCsoft who reportedly considers GW2 profits underwhelming because they are not on par with their exploitative money milking machine that is their mobile games. Yes, the focus will be back on GW2 and on paper it's a good thing, but in what form now that NCSoft is fully at the helm?

I just highly doubt NCsoft truly believes the same strategies can be applied to a western mmo as they are to asian mobile game market. All mobile games are microtransaction p2w clusters of nonsense with very little actual content. If they do and you're right, then the games doomed because it just wont succeed here.

Funny thing is, this viewpoint is exactly why many proponents of classic MMOs are so confused and belligerent toward the shift in markets. Sure, some mobile games are cash-grabs and low concept, but the roots and staying factor of MMOs has always been simplistic. It's why games like GW1 or WoW or Runescape or even FFXI are still relevant despite what the louder MMO purists will tell you. The high-action, twitch combat is moving toward online fighting games and arena combat but classic MMOs are likely going to reformat to work better on improving mobile tech.

Sure, there will be still be PC MMOs for the forseeable future, but you people really need to get with the times and look at the market shifts objectively rather than as some sort of war of PC vs mobile or some such.

Basically, I'm saying whether the mobile market will advance to encapsulate those classic MMOs doesn't automatically mean they will be Candy-crush baby games or cheap lootbox peddling copy-ware. MMORPGs have been in a cruddy place for almost a decade and the financial blackhole they have become is why shifts must happen.

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stop acting like the world is going to end for starters. Threads like this certainly don't help. People are blowing the layoffs way out of proportion based purely on speculation and fear-mongering. Nobody actually knows what's going on with Anet yet have somehow decided to pull the worst outcome as gospel out of their ass.

@Leo G.4501 said:

@ScottBroChill.3254 said:Maybe NCsoft is trying to save the game? Most of their newer games died off and maybe they saw guild wars 2 was heading downhill or on a similar path to those other games, especially if Anet was mismanaging seeing as they weren't focusing enough on this game and instead on other projects that never saw the light of day. Maybe the decision to skip the expansion was enough for NCsoft to stop it because investors will see a lack of sales hike at the usual time and it won't necessarily look good if its just small price hikes from living story episodes and gemshop sales, which those gemstore sales will eventually decline because of the lack of substantial content. The living story is neat and all, but they all have to be made individually, they divide the playerbase, become obsolete fast, and they lose the ability to make grand big content that all works together like the expansions do.

We can't really say whether this is a bad or good thing yet. But I honestly wouldn't be opposed to the game going in a different direction if it doesn't mean a new microtransaction and p2w scheme.

I seriously doubt that NCsoft's way of "saving" the game will be of any benefit to the average GW2 player. Having experience with other NCsoft titles it is likely they will double down on short term profits while the game is on its last legs, meaning more microtransactions, lootboxes, tampering with in game economy/gem exchange etc. Anyone looking could see increased signs of this even before the layoffs, with Anet focusing more on gem store monetization than ever before over the past year. The pressure on them by the parent company for increased profits is pretty clear.

I mean before this merger wasn't Anet responsible for the focusing more on gem store monetization? I mean you gotta take what JP says with a grain of salt but if you were to believe its true, Anet bumped up gemstore monetization to basically decieve NCsoft and investors to avoid the knowledge of how much resources they were pumping into other projects. And secondly, GW2 is a very western mmo, it would be ridiculous for NCsoft to try and use a korean or asian market strategy for this game. Now, they could be completely stupid like they have in the past with CoH, but we can almost see a change of heart in terms of how they handle western games by how they let wildstar basically linger for a long time without making any profits holding on to hope that it would succeed. If we are judgin by what they have done with wildstar, then they will let the game run until its in the red and then some more. Furthermore, maybe they were seeing similar management trends between the failing games and the currently successful GW2 franchise.

In terms of listening to the community or at least having an open dialogue with us in terms of game direction, Anet of has been pretty silent as well as almost completely ignoring the communities wants. It wouldn't be such a problem if they discussed the game direction and what kind of substance they would bring to it, but they never did. The last big thing they announced was the WvW restructuring and we still know nothing about it.

Maybe I'm looking at it glass half full because I'm on the other half who hasn't been digging the game direction for awhile.

Of course Anet's management decisions played a part in all this but when it comes to monetization it's all about NCsoft's targets. Don't forget we are talking about the same NCsoft who reportedly considers GW2 profits underwhelming because they are not on par with their exploitative money milking machine that is their mobile games. Yes, the focus will be back on GW2 and on paper it's a good thing, but in what form now that NCSoft is fully at the helm?

I just highly doubt NCsoft truly believes the same strategies can be applied to a western mmo as they are to asian mobile game market. All mobile games are microtransaction p2w clusters of nonsense with very little actual content. If they do and you're right, then the games doomed because it just wont succeed here.

Funny thing is, this viewpoint is exactly why many proponents of classic MMOs are so confused and belligerent toward the shift in markets. Sure, some mobile games are cash-grabs and low concept, but the roots and staying factor of MMOs has always been simplistic. It's why games like GW1 or WoW or Runescape or even FFXI are still relevant despite what the louder MMO purists will tell you. The high-action, twitch combat is moving toward online fighting games and arena combat but classic MMOs are likely going to reformat to work better on improving mobile tech.

Sure, there will be still be PC MMOs for the forseeable future, but you people really need to get with the times and look at the market shifts objectively rather than as some sort of war of PC vs mobile or some such.

Basically, I'm saying whether the mobile market will advance to encapsulate those classic MMOs doesn't automatically mean they will be Candy-crush baby games or cheap lootbox peddling copy-ware. MMORPGs have been in a cruddy place for almost a decade and the financial blackhole they have become is why shifts must happen.

Yes, MMORPGs as a genre are on a decline and even an industry giant like WoW is feeling the pressure. But what makes you believe that the new MMO era that's influenced by the mobile market won't bring "cheap lootbox peddling copy-ware" ? Because the vast majority of MMOs found on mobile are exactly that. And they are massively successful too, there is no incentive for any publisher to discard that model when it obviously works for them better than anything else.

@Arkham Creed.7358 said:

@Tiviana.2650 said:Its not Anet , its NCsoft pulling plugs, get it right. When the kitten hits the fan know where to point the finger, squarely at NCsoft.

The question is this: After what happened to Paragon, and with this happening to Arenanet (and let's be real, there's no facts/proof, but Arenanet could very well get the same treatment as Paragon sometime soon), what are the chances that people will finally be fed up enough to not purchase any more NCSoft products?

I wont thats for sure, just like i told bioware to take a flying leap.

Now who is using the wrong name? I think you mean EA; Bioware actually doesn't have a say in anything. And Bioware is about to pay the price for EA's mistakes, again, if Anthem is any indication.Considering the development hell of SWTOR and Andromeda and now Anthem, I think we can safely state that a large part of the issues with BioWare are in fact BioWare themselves. There are certain people like Mike Darrah and Ben Irving over there that in my view do not live in the real world as far as I'm concerned. So yeah EA certainly is to blame for pushing live service games as they do, but BioWare could've done a lot better than what they did here and they can't blame EA for all that.

As for ArenaNet it's hard to gauge where things are at but it is true no doubt that Ncsoft require certain bottom lines from ArenaNet. Also here it depends on what you're talking about but it's not unlikely that ArenaNet at least share the blame in what went wrong here that lead to a quarter of the staff being laid off. It could be that Ncsoft took some of their capacity for projects but it's also possible ArenaNet did that themselves. The thing is that if ArenaNet didn't have any other projects themselves outside of Guild Wars that would be a bad thing by itself. All eggs in one basket just won't last.

See something in the shop right now you want and you have them extra funds? Buy it. (financial support)Have a friend that's always wanted the expansion packs and have the funds? Gift it to them. (financial support)Have a good comp that can handle streaming? Stream the game. Get it to rise the ranks on Twitch. I know there's a lot of potential in showing WvW and PvP and even the meta events in PvE. (garnering interest support)Have a twitter/tumbler? Post some screencaps with captions talking about the game. (garnering interest support)

Some will look at this and say useless but let me say this. Sea of Thieves. Even though Apex Legends has slowed its momentum, quite a few people are streaming it on twitch after a year of it being considered a 'dead' game. Show them there are other games out there besides World of Warcraft and Elder Scrolls Online. Because the easiest way to kill a game? Is all this fearmongering crap going down in the forums and reddit right now.

@"Dragana.1497" said:Josh Foreman's view on the future of GW2: https://clips.twitch.tv/MagnificentKathishStarlingArsonNoSexy

This was an inciteful look into what was going on for sure and confirms a lot of the suspicions I had. It’s a shame though. Leaving Guild Wars 2 with minimal focus and stretching all that staff unreasonably thin because they want to focus on creating other ips.

I think for now the best we can do is let Anet sort themselves out - give people the time and space to process what's happened to themselves and their friends and co-workers, for those who are leaving to work out what's going to happened with their career and their life and with the work they're leaving behind, and for those who are staying to work out what they can keep doing, what new responsibilities they're taking on and what will have to stop or be put on hold.

Allow them to do all of that without being held accountable to people with a very limited understanding of the situation (regardless of who you think is responsible for our limited understanding) and without having to try and keep the entire world updated on the situation on a daily basis.

I completely understand wanting to know what's happening, and what's going to happen in future but ultimately we want updates on what's happening with a game. Yes it's a game we enjoy and many of us have put a lot of time and money into it, but it's still just a game. We're asking for those updates from people who are trying to work out what's happening with their job, their career, the rest of their life which is tied to that and in many cases work they've poured their heart and soul into for years, in some cases close to two decades.

I've mentioned before that my employer is going through a similar process (although over a longer time-scale) and I've lost count of the number of times since this news first broke that I've said I'm so glad we're not under the same kind of scrutiny as Anet and other game developers. We're answerable to a lot of people, most importantly our members and funders, but even they've been largely willing to let us sort ourselves out before expecting any updates on what will happen in the future.

And while you're waiting? Do whatever you would normally do. Play Guild Wars 2, or take a break, or whatever works for you.

Anet hires a hundred peole and expanded development into non gw2 projects. After years of no return on that investment, millions of dollars, NCsoft cut them off.

ANet's iterative development approach has its strengths, but a weakness is that it is expensive, inefficient, and can mean no ROI for extended periods, if ever.

@Leo G.4501 said:

When everyone leaves a market to follow trends, it leaves the old market open without much competition. And to be fair, the style of Guild Wars and what it does is vastly different than other mmo's so people who like Guild Wars are probably not going to prefer the other mmo giants out there and vice versa. So its fair to say the market is shifting, but that doesn't mean the mmo market is dead and it doesn't mean the market can't provide profit or success.

I think it's about time to face facts: Anet had the goose that lays golden eggs, and they decided to stop feeding it.GW2 is a good game, mechanically speaking, it might be the best MMO in the market; yet instead of marketing it well (most of people outside of the community don't even know that gw2 has raids at this point), and filling it with content -- they decided to keep it in maintenance mode and focus on some other projects that lead nowhere.It's unthinkable that with 400 people we were getting about 2h of story every 4 months with a map attached that may or may not be farmable, it's even worse for repeatable content... how many fractals/raids/dungeons (lol) were we getting yearly?I do feel empathy for devs like Josh, Mathew, Gaile and many others that have worked on the game for a long time, I hate to see them lose their livelihood.That being said though, I can't blame NCSoft at all in this situation, Anet has been seriously mismanaging resources, everything players asked for was "too resource intensive", no communication, seemingly not listening at all (recent example: a TON of angry WvW players)... I honestly hope that this restructure will improve things.People really need to stop white-knighting Anet and blaming NCSoft for everything, Anet NEEDS more criticism, I wouldn't be writing this if I didn't care about the game, I've played almost since launch, made a lot of good memories in Tyria -- I want to see the game improve, I want to see it live up to it's potential.

@"Tiviana.2650" said:This is good, read the comments from Anet staff. And oo is that a blizzard recruiter in there? Maybe blizzard will snag them up and get some new blood to flood the system.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/we-family-philip-holt/?published=t

Hope they all find a place.

Kind of Strange Blizz/ Activision did their own mass layoffs recently. It would be weird for them to turn around and hire someone else right away, although I hope they do.

@"Dragana.1497" said:Josh Foreman's view on the future of GW2: https://clips.twitch.tv/MagnificentKathishStarlingArsonNoSexy

This one is quite interesting because he does say that ArenaNet haven't been focused on GW2 for a while because of those other projects. The only issue I still see is that for the short term this could mean good things for GW2, but for the long term it seems risky to keep all eggs in one basket. It would've been good if they had developed something new in the meantime and that hasn't crystallized. Which could be Ncsoft's conclusion as well.

But this does shed some light on it.

Same here. This is very concerning. When the first news of layoffs came out, it seemed more directed towards none GW2 related projected. Then now the layoffs are noted as massive. Update gets pushed back a week.

What I find also very concerning is the communication regarding the push back. I am sure they knew they cannot deliver today for a couple of days. Why wait till the day of the update to announce the delay? This hints at internal communication breakdown at Anet.

Anyway, hopefully the people laid off can find jobs soon. Also, Anet management needs to get their act together.

Everything would've been easier if they just communicated with us, I'm sorry for the people who lost their job but ArenaNet is really at fault there, they shouldn't have used GW2 ressources for projects that would eventually fail, that's shady and almost "stealing" here, especially for people who gave them money through the cash shop thinking of supporting GW2.

This is literally like Square-Enix and Tabata who made them lose 30 millions by working on a side-project with Luminous Engine after FFXV, when they figured it wouldn't make any profit they not only stopped him but also straight up cancelled 3 of the 4 DLCs for FFXV 2nd Season Pass that were planned (Lunafreya, Aranea and Noctis with the 2nd ending affecting the main game) and Tabata left Square-Enix soon after.

I'm having flashbacks from 2017 when my secondary MMO Marvel Heroes was shut down. First they had layoffs, lack of communication except for "everything is ok", no plans and lack of new content. I did not expect this to happen to GW2 because it's considered among the "top 4 MMOs" in several MMO communities. I'm confused and I don't know what to think anymore. :( One thing is for sure, if GW2 dies, I'll quit gaming for good, I can't get into other MMOs anymore and I hate single player games.

If you are concerned about them stopping actually release good content and going into full micro-transaction maintenance mode, just stop buying any vanity items from gemstore, any items at all - and only pay for meaningful content from now on (DLCs) if there will be any, or support them tactically, like buy something after a good balance patch was issued. Also motivate others around internet to do the same.

That's about how much you can realistically do.

@Arkham Creed.7358 said:

@xan.8936 said:What in the world did Ncsoft think they would accomplish by laying off actual devs from raids, fractals, world maps and living story. Do they think the money saved now will pay off later when the rest of the devs are so distraught they leave too and a once profitable game is no longer. I don't post here that often but I am truly and completely distraught over seeing a game that I have loved and played for 12 years gets treated this way.

That isn't what this is about. This is literally the same thing EA did with Mass Effect; cut the team to slash spending, and keep making money on mircotransactions. They don't care at all about the game or the community; just the profit. They are going to spend as little on it as possible to make the most profit as they can, and when the game stops making a profit at all...well....remember Wildstar? What about its developer, Carbine Studios? Also owned by NCSoft.

Rarely anyone does games these days just for the sheer pleasure of it. Gaming is big business, and as such - like any other business - it's about big money.

They don't care, people need to understand that.

@ilovegw.1258 said:

@Ulyssean.1709 said:Why is it NCsofts fault?

Because they sent the lay off message to Anet initially when this storm started?

It's funny how people don't get that part and start defending NCsoft. As I wrote in another thread, I am not a fan of Mike O'Brien and I am certain ANet has screwed up on several different ends, but the layoffs are 100% a decision that came from NCsoft.

@"Mea.5491" said:I'm having flashbacks from 2017 when my secondary MMO Marvel Heroes was shut down. First they had layoffs, lack of communication except for "everything is ok", no plans and lack of new content. I did not expect this to happen to GW2 because it's considered among the "top 4 MMOs" in several MMO communities. I'm confused and I don't know what to think anymore. :( One thing is for sure, if GW2 dies, I'll quit gaming for good, I can't get into other MMOs anymore and I hate single player games.

I would like to echo your frustrations at least partly.

With games moving into lootbox cities, battle royales that are also lootbox cities, large promises destroyed by marketing, and "Mobile Gaming" spheres, It seems like a good portion of the light is gone from the game types I like

Archived