To Anet : what the community REALLY wants.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@Dami.5046 said:I'm wondering if any of these comments and threads are really been read now, but I could do with some cheering up if at possible.cheers.

I can assure you I justread your comment. But you’re probably refering to anet.No, since they fired Gaile Gray the the forums may as well be shut down as no one else of anet visited the forums.Sorry for the sad news.

And you know this for certain how....?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@Aodlop.1907 said:You guys underestimate the potential of such a feature. It could really be a lot of fun and bring in lots of people. Besides, jumping on the BR hate wagon without thinking is an immature way to look at things.

If it’s so much fun then why isn’t Southsun Survival packed with players?

Well for one thing Southsun Survival needs the shrinking boundary thing. Necessary because as people are eliminated density drops which lowers encounter rate and that can cause things to drag out. However that will also need a more well thought out map layout to support it.

Not saying I would play it regardless but these are the superficial issues that pop up from the few interactions with it. There are probably more problems with it if I actually played it more but that would require playing it more ...

Truthfully I doubt it would be popular even if it was reworked. Battle Royale games have players who go there specifically to play that game mode. MMO players go to MMOs for open world gaming. People who ask for a specialty item that is outside what a place offers are like people who go to steakhouses and demand quality seafood. Even if the steakhouse offers seafood it’s usually not that good since it’s outside their specialty. The same goes for those asking for game types that are outside what a game specializes in. Even if they offer it, the likelihood of it being top quality is low.

MMO players go to MMOs for open world gaming.

Na. I play MMO for the PvP experience, since those are basically the only games where you controle a character on 3rd person view with many spells and lots of counterplay, as opposed to "I shoot once, headshot, you're dead lol xd" or 5 buttons MOBAs. Back when WoW was still good, I would spend hours dueling, doing BGs and arena and I'd have lots of fun without bothering with PvE and open world content.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@Dami.5046 said:I'm wondering if any of these comments and threads are really been read now, but I could do with some cheering up if at possible.cheers.

I can assure you I justread your comment. But you’re probably refering to anet.No, since they fired Gaile Gray the the forums may as well be shut down as no one else of anet visited the forums.Sorry for the sad news.

Just an FYI: Gaile Gray wasn't fired (nor 'laid off').

@"Aodlop.1907" said:

MMO players go to MMOs for open world gaming.

Na. I play MMO for the PvP experience, since those are basically the only games where you controle a character on 3rd person view with many spells and lots of counterplay, as opposed to "I shoot once, headshot, you're dead lol xd" or 5 buttons MOBAs. Back when WoW was still good, I would spend hours dueling, doing BGs and arena and I'd have lots of fun without bothering with PvE and open world content.

/looks at population of sPvP and WvW/compares to population of people playing open world.

/shrug. There are always some people who go to a steakhouse and order the fish plate.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Just an FYI: Gaile Gray wasn't fired.

I've seen several people post about ANet employees being 'fired' rather than 'laid off' recently. Those things aren't synonymous in the UK - are they synonymous in the US/wherever the people making these posts are from? Or do the people saying they were fired just not understand the difference?

@Tommo Chocolate.5870 said:

Just an FYI: Gaile Gray wasn't fired.

I've seen several people post about ANet employees being 'fired' rather than 'laid off' recently. Those things aren't synonymous in the UK - are they synonymous in the US/wherever the people making these posts are from? Or do the people saying they were fired just not understand the difference?

They're not synonymous in the US either. People just don't care enough to figure out the right term.

@kharmin.7683 said:

I've been on the forums since gw2 came out

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@"Dami.5046" said:I'm wondering if any of these comments and threads are really been read now, but I could do with some cheering up if at possible.cheers.

Just an FYI: Gaile Gray wasn't fired (nor 'laid off').

nomenclature aside, they're "no longer with the company"

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@Aodlop.1907 said:You guys underestimate the potential of such a feature. It could really be a lot of fun and bring in lots of people. Besides, jumping on the BR hate wagon without thinking is an immature way to look at things.

If it’s so much fun then why isn’t Southsun Survival packed with players?

Well for one thing Southsun Survival needs the shrinking boundary thing. Necessary because as people are eliminated density drops which lowers encounter rate and that can cause things to drag out. However that will also need a more well thought out map layout to support it.

Not saying I would play it regardless but these are the superficial issues that pop up from the few interactions with it. There are probably more problems with it if I actually played it more but that would require playing it more ...

Truthfully I doubt it would be popular even if it was reworked. Battle Royale games have players who go there specifically to play that game mode. MMO players go to MMOs for open world gaming. People who ask for a specialty item that is outside what a place offers are like people who go to steakhouses and demand quality seafood. Even if the steakhouse offers seafood it’s usually not that good since it’s outside their specialty. The same goes for those asking for game types that are outside what a game specializes in. Even if they offer it, the likelihood of it being top quality is low.

I think you mean people who go into a steakhouse and expect to have a vegan menu :p

Crazy people like those do exist as well ...

Were I ANet management, I'd want to see a study which showed that new players would flock to a seven-year-old game due to the inclusion of a feature that is likely better implemented in games purpose-built for that feature. Also, while the code for Hunger Games is doubtless stored somewhere, it may or may not be compatible with the game as it exists today. I'd want to see just what it would take to produce the feature, and an estimated RoI for the effort. I'd want some information on just how many existing p[l]ayers would be alienated and move on if the implementation of a BR feature were to negatively impact either their game experience or delivery of content they do like.

Jumping on the BR band wagon without thinking is not the way a business would approach such a decision.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

I've been on the forums since gw2 came out

Then, you know that your point about no one else from ANet visiting the forums is completely false?

@Ayakaru.6583 said:as no one else of anet visited the forums.

In fact, all sorts of devs posted in the forums, some mostly for the occasional 'celebration' aka the weekly-long Q&As that are sometimes held here. Not counting patch notes, we've had people post in the forums from QA, Customer Service, Security, Marketing, the game directors, Mike O'Brien, Fractal|Raid, Infrastructure, PvP, WvW, Balance, and I'm sure I've forgotten something.

True, no one posted as often as Gaile, but she was the only one whose job allowed her to post as part of her work; the rest had to post during their off time (with the occasional except for the Q&A sessions, patch notes, and during emergent situations, such as @Mike Zadorojny.7058's recent status report).

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

As far as I know, Gaile resigned.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:/looks at population of sPvP and WvW/compares to population of people playing open world.

/shrug. There are always some people who go to a steakhouse and order the fish plate chicken tenders.

Fixed :)

...I think. I imagine the fish dishes are actually less popular so perhaps the original analogy holds. XD

I'd say there's nothing wrong with experimenting with different game modes, but an MMO isn't really something where a battle royale deathmatch makes sense. Characters don't start on equal footing, and that makes it miss something important when it comes to the royale experience. And a mode like that did get popular, then it would have to get balance changes to address GW2's rather intentional 1v1 imbalance. Professions were not designed with duels in mind.

Archived