Would you be interested in playing an exclusive version of GW2 built for VR?

Personally I'm not a fan of VR. I find it disorienting and I don't like being unable to see and hear what's really going on around me while I'm playing. I use headphones in certain situations specifically to shut out other people (mainly on public transport and when I'm stuck next to one particular person at work who seems to have an infinite supply of sweets and a personal challenge to eat them as loudly as possible) but at other times I avoid using them for exactly the same reason.

I can't see myself ever wanting to play a VR game for more than a few minutes, and then only under very specific conditions where I know I don't need to worry about what's happening around me or what I might do.

VR is almost dead in the water and for good reason. Mainstream audiences are not willing to bother with the high entry fee and nagging annoyances during its use. Major industry players who were all in on it, like Facebook (Occulus) and Samsung have limited their VR funding severely. That alone is a good indicator of its state.

So no, I would prefer an investment aimed at the mainstream audience, instead of a niche, but highly expensive gimmick.

• 3 weeks later...

A standalone version? Definitely not. There being a way to connect a VR headset and use that as a monitor? Don't see the harm in that (if such a thing doesn't exist already).

It's still too early for VR to be smooth and there's a large upfront cost for it. Plus some people literally cannot use it. That's a small pool of people you want Arenanet to spend large amounts of time and resources on. Smaller than the number of raiders while being less accessible than raids. How would you handle spells? Raiding? PvP? WvW? Dodging? Mounts where the camera/position of the player's head would rapidly change? Not to mention all the textures would have to be replaced with HD or 4k textures because the current ones do not look goo when the camera is that close to the ground.

Also I somehow doubt GW2's current engine could handle much in the way of coding required to run VR decently without a major or complete overhaul.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@"Ashantara.8731" said:The current VR technology is bad for the eyesight
and
for the brain. Wouldn't recommend using it, to be honest.

This based on what?

Here's an interesting read (one of many): https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/are-virtual-reality-headsets-safe-for-children/

They have not been on the market and widely used enough for me to present you with longterm studies of scientific data, but I can tell you that if you use them a lot, your visual perception of reality, of depth and movement, will change over time (which can be especially dangerous when navigating a vehicle in road traffic). Eyes and brain are naturally connected, so consequently there will be a negative effect on both. It's the same with watching movies in 3D for too long. it can lead to headaches, which are only a harbinger of worse to come if you overdo it. This can't be good.

@Dawdler.8521 said:Dodge rolling in VR.

No.

Actually, Swords of Gargantua has dodge rolling and it works wonderfully. Also, if you use programs to simulate Dark Souls 3 in VR, you can experience Dark Souls dodge rolling in VR which is still comfortable, not motion sickness inducing.

People that haven't tried VR very much or at all, find it hard to comprehend how it would work when actually those solutions are already found in current VR experiences.

The problem with this poll question, is that most of the answers that are being given are answering whether they'd want to play a VR game at all. There's a vast amount of gamers that really want nothing to do with VR, and that is the answer they're giving. What this poll is targeting is if people would want to play this game in VR if it were an option. I think most people who actually enjoy VR as it is today, would give answers more accurately reflecting the original question. IF VR were an option, what effect would it have on the flatscreen players? Nothing on their own gameplay experiences, however they would find the VR users moving around with animations reflecting the movements of the actual players. Flatscreen players would experience increased immersion and interactivity with other players, like people who play The Forest.

A lot of people here are worried about motion sickness, but that is an issue that is slowly dying. People active in VR regularly hardly ever get motion sickness, it usually takes a poorly designed game to cause motion sickness if you are well adjusted to VR. Not to mention, the headsets are improving. As the reports are showing, the improved frame-rate, depth-of-field, and resolution diminishes motion sickness greatly for new users. 5-6 years from now, motion sickness will only be present in old models of VR headsets. Motion sickness is not a factor in whether any game should be made VR immersive, as it depends on developers and users, not the content of the game.

(Spider-Man VR for example. Sairento backflips, front flips, wall jumping and aerials for another example. Both you would think do certainly induce motion sickness, and don't for most users.)

I have experienced GW2 in VR with Vorpx in first person mode. There's no 3d geometry, so it doesn't actually feel like a VR game, but even still all the environments are very beautiful. Its fun to just sit around and watch the world happen, the events, the players, the ai.. all of it. If the base of the game were fully adapted to be VR immersive, it would be the closest thing we have to Sword Art Online. It'd be very difficult for me to take off my headset.

Currently there is a severe lack of open world games for VR. Skyrim was great, but there's only so much you can do in Skyrim, whereas an MMO like GW2 has an endless amount of content to enjoy due to events and player interactions, a huge world to explore, and a great story to follow. Hell yes, every major MMO with half-decent graphics would be made all the better if it were VR immersive.

I rather use my mind/Telepathy to play the game if that could be done VR it would be interesting but I rather have it how it is now with the ability to use your mind to play the game, I'm feeling too lazy now a days to use keyboard and mouse....