Teapot Quitting? Is this the beginning of the end?

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MMORPGs, with one exception - WoW, have never been good titles to stream if you intended to make a profit, let a lone live off of the stream. Unless you jump from one big new thing to the next to gain as much attention as possible. Don't see why it comes as a surprise that some popular streamers who also happen to be into content which is kind of lacking in GW2 move on to the next thing. I am more surprised about how long he actually stuck around which shows how invested he was into game but everything comes to an end eventually. No need to cry about it.

And honestly, this does say very little about the quality or the population of game. The majority of our players care about as much about streams as they care about any of these more competitive content pieces some people are quitting over.

Well the game has been out for almost 8 years now, I give it maybe 2 more years until it's dead because of FFXIV, WoW (with Blizzard hopefully trying to make a redemption expansion) and ESO.

Let's face it, Teapot might not be quitting GW2... but just for now, it's fair to say that what he has stated during his livestreams was a warning for Anet in order to change what's wrong with this game and make it better as more and more streamers, hardcore PvE/WvW/PvP guilds are quitting for other games which in fact are more fun and valuable of their time at the moment.

Expansion or not GW2 is doomed no matter what and the end of LS4 without spoilers felt like it was an actual ending for the whole game because of how it was handled, like really GW2 could've ended there.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@sitarskee.5738 said:ANet should watch TeaTime to see what concerns the most dedicated players and do something about it.

That's a fallacy if I've ever heard one. Being a streamer doesn't make you a dedicated player, nor does it make you a player that speaks with authority on what concerns the majority of the player base.

This.. in pretty much every stream I've ever tried to watch in boils down to someone talking smack as the live chat goes way over the top and turns into a free for all ego trip.Streamers are not authority on combat or classes or actually anything other than what they want to see and how they think what they do suits all.. there is no one size fits all especially with GW2... they are doing it for monetisation purposes nothing more.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:they are doing it for monetisation purposes nothing more.

Considering that teapot streams 3-6 hours each day with only a handful days off since he started streaming, with Id guess on avg 400 subs over the last year... thats not even minimum wage here. Not even counting the time he puts into his guide videos or things like the raid tourneys.No GW2 streamer streams for the money, simply because theres not enough viewers for that. When I look at my followed categories on twitch, gw2 is always just barely above my city builder games and the lowest of all mmos I follow. Now you can personally like or dislike twitch, but it IS a very important marketing tool especially for multiplayer online games. To ignore twitch nowadays hurts any game.

@Obtena.7952 said:Precisely ... this is why streaming is not 'advertising' for the game. Anet doesn't control that message.

Thats a very outdated view on marketing. Direct advertisement is only one tiny tiny facet of marketing since, well... 30, 40 years. Exposure is way more important for example, and that you get on twitch plenty.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Though, that wasn't what was referenced; only those currently playing.

As explained a player with 2k AP is not a new player. So seeing many players with 2k data doesn't mean you see many "new" players.

And, evidently, according to forum posts, those 'hardcore' players wouldn't be taking part in those events (much too casual and boring) where their AP would show.

According to gw2eff data those players participated in the Dragon Bash events just fine, not sure about the world boss rush though. So maybe calling the gw2eff players "hardcore" is what causes the "problem" since there is no correlation between having an account there and being "hardcore".

On another note, 11 million confirmed accounts, 10% have above 3k AP meaning 1.1 million players are in that mark. There are about 145k gw2eff accounts in that mark, that's more than 10% of the actual population in the "Active" player mark, making gw2eff numbers quite statistically significant.

You're correct... Every time i've compared forum polls with efficiency results, they match, every time i've compared what data we get from devs to efficinecy, it matches. People will always dismiss it, because they don't understand statistics, at 100k accounts it's ALWAYS an incredibly good statistical sample, because it represents 10% of the whole population... Most statistical census won't get 1% of the entire population, and here we have one with 10%. It'll always correlate incredibly well, because it's an awesome sample.

As for teapot leaving... It is kinda distressing to see... I mean the guy stuck to GW2 for this long, and he had a good grasp on the raiding community's pulse. When a person quits something he's been doing for 7 years... It's never a good sign.

Will it mean the doom of GW2? Hardly.But truth be told, GW2 has been in decline since 2015, the creativity and work they displayed in the first 2 years was all but completely gone after HoT, and it's only been getting worse. While the story is fun, it's entirely predictable, and somewhat weak... I mean i expected Aurene to be revived, but i expected that to happen after we worked for it for at least half the episode... The living world has become entirely self-contained within it's own release, and they have completely forgotten about hanging plot points that matter to most players, like what happened to the Pale Tree, what happened to the Enchantment in Eirs Bow? I don't think i have seen Braham shoot arrows recently...

@Yasi.9065 said:

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:they are doing it for monetisation purposes nothing more.

Considering that teapot streams 3-6 hours each day with only a handful days off since he started streaming, with Id guess on avg 400 subs over the last year... thats not even minimum wage here. Not even counting the time he puts into his guide videos or things like the raid tourneys.No GW2 streamer streams for the money, simply because theres not enough viewers for that. When I look at my followed categories on twitch, gw2 is always just barely above my city builder games and the lowest of all mmos I follow. Now you can personally like or dislike twitch, but it IS a very important marketing tool especially for multiplayer online games. To ignore twitch nowadays hurts any game.

@Obtena.7952 said:Precisely ... this is why streaming is not 'advertising' for the game. Anet doesn't control that message.

Thats a very outdated view on marketing. Direct advertisement is only one tiny tiny facet of marketing since, well... 30, 40 years. Exposure is way more important for example, and that you get on twitch plenty.

Rubbish imo.. Tea streams for his own gain.. the more people he gets to watch the more chances he has of scoring a bigger payday, no matter how long he is on for each day.. its a supplement to any real job he might have. If you think that's not the motive behind it then your either very naïve or very much trying to smokescreen the real facts.Why do you think many streamers and content pushers on youtube got so anti when they changed the way they can earn, my own nephew included.. its all about trying to push as many people into your live streams , click the ad baits, and download the contents.. the more teapot gets players to do it, the more he has the potential to earn off it, pure and simple.Then again with such low stream counts I imagine anyone with a brain would move off streaming GW2, its just not something players seem to find all that interesting and likely prefer to actually play the game themselves.Twitch is a tool.. no argument, but it touches a very limited crowd and more so in GW2 it seems, especially when you consider its competitive content namely pvp has been plagued with wintrading, hackers, garbage balance and a pretty stale makeup since day 1.But hey if your preference is to watch teapot and the like play the game for you and tell you how its meant to be played then all power to ya, enjoy and av fun... don't mind if I pass though :)

@kratan.4619 said:More importantly, who the heck is Teapot? I am willing to bet that most casual players have not even heard Teapot nor do they care if he/she quits or not. I have not heard of him/her until this thread appeared.

And that is a sensible counter and likely a common one a lot of the GW2 community are running through their heads.

I've been playing since the start and used to know the game thanks to my brother who played gw1. I never put any foot on straming platform like twich, never watched any video about gw2 on youtube. Through, will not judge someone I don't even know, I'm not even sure if they streams for money or by passion but both have a role to play. For the followers, well it's bad news. I will just say that, if you need to have someone showing the game and taking your hand to play a game, well I don't get it, I personally think it's better to discover the game and learn the mechanic by yourself. I never watched a guide to play mario, sonic, zelda, pr layton, super smash bros, pokemon or whatever and it's surely a good thing, I enjoyed a lot those games and made great memories. I play for fun and pleasure to enjoy.

To return to gw2, I'm here, 6 years after hanging on the edge. Many can criticize ls1, but it was apogee of gameplay, remember the good old marionette? Not even possible to remake it today! Look at gandara, only one rushed lane, look at dragonfall, three lanes but well not an amazing meta/boss at the end....

Dungeons, yes, they came with their awesome little story and paths, all with a profond respect to the lore and brand new mechanics; some will say, hey fractal are new dungeons! A thing lasting 15 minutes big max taking 3 months to develop isn't a deal. Same with ls, but let's say it lasts 1-4 days. But will not blame the teams doing an amazing job to develop them, but it takes to much time for zero replayability.

The release time, well everything take month to develop and are rushed, nothing equal core maps, now everything is nerfed, no more waypoints! No more quests booh they take time... let's remove WvW map completion! Ah let's make a blank map everybody will be happy! They should listen more veterans and not peeps who just joined due to x stream having 1 star on forums. With the forum names, the number of ap points, hours played and story/expansions completed should be added. You prefer to listen to a random person telling lws4 is bad without playing it and just by watching some streams about it? No sense, like saying taimi or whatever chara is bad without knowing it.Even gw2efficiency say a lot about an account.

Balance. After 6 years that thing is still unstable between changing traits, buffing trait for then revert the buff, nerfing a skill without finding a substitution.... let's ignore the totally abandonned gamemodes PvP and WvW.

Strategy. Whereas at the start peoples coordinated themselves for tough events like battle of lion's arch with knights, marionette or the fabulous nightmare tower, even the amazing assault of southsun cove; it's now a simple auto-attack 1 on everything, because who cares, you are rezzed everytime in stories. Even at ls bosses you can just die, waiting on the ground without tp and still have credit pff.The second point is afk farm, everywhere, farming dust at ascalon wall in the south iron marches, or karma anywhere within invariant enclave in sanswept isles.

The amount of bots was never that high.Add to that all the bugs unsolved reported in sticky thread like map issues, cliping issues, rendering issues.....

For me gw2 made its time, of course it's not dead but the state where the game is means a lot, a ton of things could have been made better, like joko's death, kralky death, scarlet was ok because it trigerred something bigger. Mordy was hell, balthy was overwhelming died to easily for a god.I really feel like a ton of potential is wasted, the game is good, but it could have been excellent. Races doesn't matter because you are just a crazy dragon slayer once you reach lvl 40. More races focused stories, maps, personnal story would be cool. The greatest feature "personality" was removed a bad move, whereas it could have been used to gain access to specific places or unlocking side stories.

Kain Francois got it right, all its posts are awesome and well detailed.

Many vets like me are passioned by the game, surely some are streamers. Many create fanarts or fake expansions they would like to see implemented like the cantha one from lonami or the sea of sorrows one. Many create thread about redifining a class or proposing changes for the balance, peoples which are expert of them playing them since a long time and yet they are ignored, no answers, no consideration, nothing. When I meet a new player and when it asks me "so what can I do?" I have no answers, what can I say, auto1 fest at world bosses, unending farm for a legendary, do fractals for the thousand time, finish story in 50 mins?I'm now hunting any secret dialogue, any lore and helping the wiki to help players.

Recently the communication was increased, it's a good thing, but how expecting peoples to know about the game without any advertisement? Twitch may play a role, mouth to ear too, TV ads too, review website too. If my brother would have never told me about gw2, I would not be here. I'm sad, angry and in same time confused and disapointed to see where that game is going. It can't continue like this without any bone to pick between each 3 months release. Festivals are now kinda updated, we got a return of dragon bash, and SAB got very cool new weapons/upgrade, with a brand new coin races and a little new area with a cannon. Sab never was a failure, the very low participation is explained by the simultaneous release of ascended gear, many was farming them instead of playing sab. (Ascended Weapons during back to school 2013, checked wiki, the other during the months before) again bad idea to have released them in same time.

Festivals are cool and it's time to add some new festivals and events. Roller beetle races and rushes are nice, why not something related to dungeons? Festival can be opportunities to add new content. Old dungeons could be recreated as fractals and have a portal too like fractals. Maybe another gamemode or mechanics.

Anyway, I wish good luck to the players who just joined, and wait to see what the future has for us.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

Rubbish imo.. Tea streams for his own gain.. the more people he gets to watch the more chances he has of scoring a bigger payday, no matter how long he is on for each day.. its a supplement to any real job he might have. If you think that's not the motive behind it then your either very naïve or very much trying to smokescreen the real facts.

What's wrong with trying to secure one's livelihood? One of the most noble endeavours is to profit doing something they love.

so... hello. sorry ahead of time for the TLDR.I am a guild wars 2 streamer... or rather i was.when i streamed guild wars 2 on twitch, 90% of the time i was helping new players by answering questions they had about the game, mechanics, classes, lore etc.i never asked for subscriptions. i didn't give a darn about money. i was doing it to help any way i can.i streamed Pink Day in LA to get the word out. I streamed and ran night of the necromancers last year as an end to the breast cancer awareness month activities and gave away twilight on stream amongst other prizes for the sole purpose of building the community and giving viewers a place to donate to ACS/CCS if they wanted to.i never twisted arms, demanded subs, demanded follows, money, any of that.

my average size viewership was around 10-15 people, a few of the guildmates and others that would either lurk or pipe in on the chat room when they heard me say something that piqued their interest. and yes, the majority of the time i was streaming, i did a lot of pve, with a few dungeons, fractals, wvw, and pvp in the mix. i also did other games to mix things up even further so as not to dry out the viewership. in essence, my goal as a streamer was to entertain, educate, and inform, NOT MAKE MONEY.but i also had another goal. a bigger one.i wanted to promote the game that i loved so much for the past several years. i wanted to go against the grain of streamers that were asking for subs and not responding to their viewership. no i won't point a finger. just yet.i wanted to do things that were against the grain. leveling challenges, full lore discussion. tin foil hat speculation. and? regardless of who was talking or how many, i answered every response in the chat room. every one. that was to me important, because if someone is going to listen to me, i darn sure better listen to them.

I didn't want to do the same content every single day.. such as repetitive opening of Black Lion Chests or repetitive running of the same raid content. i felt that there was an audience already for that... an audience that didn't want to see anything else apparently. As the year progressed, i also included several youtube videos, including a lengthy let's play of a few different classes. again not a lot of views, but if i could share what i knew with at least one person and it helped them in game somehow that was what mattered. i started a twitter account to keep my viewers informed of upcoming streams and events, and even created the guild i run now and have a discord set up for viewers and guild members.then something happened. something that irritated me to the very core.i was watching this podcast where a few veteran players that claimed to support the game and encourage new players to play it... were in the same breath condemning and damning and ringing the death bell on this very game. i thought this was a fluke. i thought that they had to be just frustrated and were venting... to over 300 people... who ate every single syllable up and stored it in their brains. and the echo-chamber began to resonate with these words being skewed as bad as a telephone game can get.it felt difficult to watch, and i stopped as fast as i started.condemnation of casual players while at the same time saying there's nothing wrong with being a casual player. saying the game is very good while pointing out every single flaw and calling it a dying game. claiming there is absolutely no content coming out on the same week that content actually comes out (just not the content they want).

you can see how this irritated me. and so, i began to counteract on my stream the things that were being spewed out of the mouths of these individuals. In essence, i started doing the very thing i stood against. and it took me to a very dark place. i stopped doing what i loved. doing what was fun for me, and instead began shooting hard on those that would condemn this game while at the same time singing its praises. i stopped doing what i was originally planning to do for the community, for the stream, and most importantly, for FUN. i am a big proponent of the concept that "if you are no longer having fun, find something else to do". as a parent i taught that to my daughter and as an adult i keep that as a credo, one of many. so? i explained to my viewers what was happening, stopped streaming, took all my youtube vids down, and decided it was time to take a breather.

regarding Mr. Mighty Teapot:the young man is simply trying to find something fun to do, because he is no longer having fun. Mind you, i am in no way defending him. i never have been a fan and never will be, nothing wrong with that at all. but as a streamer, i can say this: streaming does take a little bit of planning, a lot of work, and yes you must keep your audience entertained even when, in certain people's opinion, there isn't anything to entertain. While i find some things stated by him to be a wee bit hypocritical, i am pretty certain there's a method to that madness, ie drama creates views. and yes, perhaps he uses his stream as a source of income in some way. many streamers do that. some even live off the streams they produce. some have no other choice. nothing at all wrong with that either. and yes, even though it might appear as if the things spoken by this person are a bit condemning, the one thing i do notice is that he tries... really genuinely tries to promote the game the best way he knows how. once again, i am NOT defending him. i am simply stating facts.if Mr. Mighty Teapot happens to read this... young man, go hence forth into the world and find that which brings you fun and enjoyment. and don't look back. if you decide to come back to this game periodically, say hello. there will be people that will miss you. I won't. but others will.

if you got to the bottom of this and want something to take away, it's this: i stopped streaming and took a break. this young man is stopping and taking a break. others do it all the time. the world is not ending and the game is NOT dead, nor will it die when he is gone. just calm down. relax. go play some guild wars 2. or don't. the world will keep turning. i promise.

@Kain Francois.4328 said:

@dodgerrule.8739 said:If twitch numbers mattered for guild wars 2 as much as people claim then there would have been a noticeable difference in players in game when it was a large streamer base.

It's not about the instant reaction. It's about the whole.

Twitch numbers mean a game is healthy.

Ah, so games without many streamers are doomed by default, then?I always thought that the number of people buying and playing game defined healthy game.

You are the kind of streamer I would liked to have supported. Informative and helpful, not just making lols for clickbait views.

Condemnation of casual players while at the same time saying there's nothing wrong with being a casual player.

The absolute biggest weakness in the GW2 community. I always wonder if the devs ever regret instituting raids. Especially since, hindsight being 20/20 here, they could have taken the Living World content and made 5/10 man content out of them and saved a ton on environmental/creature assets while pumping out more higher-end content that didn't lead to a snobbish subcommunity.

Saying the game is very good while pointing out every single flaw

I am, to some degree, guilty of this. GW2 is good. It has potential to be fantastic. Some barriers are never going to be surmounted with it, the result of problems so baked in they're not going away. But where I do find my gripes is where I want the game to improve.

So while I feel it might be a good game, I just . . can't recommend it to anyone I know. Not anymore. I tried that once, and none of my out-of-GW2 friends play it. Which, if I wanted to tie it back into the whole streamer/influencer thing, it's those kinds of connections that are important. Ad blitzes and streams might drive some accidental curiosity and incidental converts, but it's those chain-friend connections and community building that get and keep people in the game.

What's twitch? OK, I know, but the point is I am one of very many players that do no PvP and as little WvW as I can. The stuff on all those twitch streams seems designed for beginners or players who only want to kill other players. Fortunately this game was designed to be as inclusive as it could be. That's why when raids and new attempts to redesign PvP and WvW generate fewer and fewer participants, the game will still thrive. They gave those players a game to play and they got their money's worth. If it's time to move on, so be it. Thinking it will end the game though, is actually comical to me.

@Kain Francois.4328 said:

Rubbish imo.. Tea streams for his own gain.. the more people he gets to watch the more chances he has of scoring a bigger payday, no matter how long he is on for each day.. its a supplement to any real job he might have. If you think that's not the motive behind it then your either very naïve or very much trying to smokescreen the real facts.

What's wrong with trying to secure one's livelihood? One of the most noble endeavours is to profit doing something they love.

Errmm no one said he shouldn't.. in fact that is why he's likely moving away from GW2 as I already said.. to hopefully get a better return for his time streaming WoWcraptastic or a n other title... good luck to him.

@blackheartgary.8605Well with a stream viewship of 10-15 I would imagine making money was never going to happen whether you were trying to or not.. as for the Pink Day stuff, I wish I had been around to see it going on, its a cause I hold strongly for, having lost my own wife to BC at just 37.That would of been one stream I would of likely enjoyed and been happy to be part of, but that is not what the typical streamer goes out there for.Don't get me wrong, even if it is a monetary reason for doing so it's seems to be kind of irrelevant in this case and likely others, because GW2 just isn't that much of a popular twitch stream game like some others, never has been really imo.Let me know if you ever plan to stream Pink Day again though, I would be happy to pop in.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:@blackheartgary.8605Well with a stream viewship of 10-15 I would imagine making money was never going to happen whether you were trying to or not.. as for the Pink Day stuff, I wish I had been around to see it going on, its a cause I hold strongly for, having lost my own wife to BC at just 37.That would of been one stream I would of likely enjoyed and been happy to be part of, but that is not what the typical streamer goes out there for.Don't get me wrong, even if it is a monetary reason for doing so it's seems to be kind of irrelevant in this case and likely others, because GW2 just isn't that much of a popular twitch stream game like some others, never has been really imo.Let me know if you ever plan to stream Pink Day again though, I would be happy to pop in.

That is so admirable. I would give you an e-hug, but that would be awkward. You're a strong person and I really can respect that. (Pink Day! If they do that again, I will try my hardest to donate. Good cause, good people. Can't go wrong. )

Also I apologize in advance if what I say doesn't make sense; the heat is icky.

@Yasi.9065 said:

I will ask you same question I asked someone else then:

Does the game need Anet to support streamers? IF Anet weren't doing it before, I don't see why they need to do it now. I'm making a very important distinction here ... there is a massive difference between Anet spending money on marketing and a bunch of people taking up the GW2 mantle and streaming. Companies that do not control their marketing efforts do not HAVE marketing.

Furthermore ... streamers and youtubers have left in the past ... the game still persists. We are not done for because some people leave streaming like the OP wants us to believe.

@zealex.9410 said:

@"Bloodstealer.5978" said:GW2 just isn't that much of a popular twitch stream game like some others

I think thats much more because the game just gets less content than other mmos and less because itself os a bad twitch game. For pvp maybe but for pve its pretty ok to watch, and ow it has a few cool stuff that are twitch friendly.

Actually I disagree I think from day 1 we have had a great deal of content put into the game and much of it for free. Add to that there has been 2 expacs that have added alot of features, maps, raids, mounts, elite specs to name a few. All this with a fairly consistent cadence.Now of course ANET will never satisfy everyone all the time if at all and yes certain areas of the game have definately been left to stagnate for longer periods that has been healthy. Addionally it has of late suffered it's first ever internal crisis having to shed weight across it talent team, which if you have ever had to manage a business and those tasked with keeping everything going ... it is not easy and things like a drop in moral, delays, change of direction and potentially some temporary decline in quality can come hand in hand until the pieces are picked up and put back together again the best it can.I will be honest though, this is the first time I have begun to feel a sense of uneasiness, bu not with the "when is S5 coming" but what's coming after that making feel a little short term planning, but only ANET knows what their plans are. I just hope we aren't going to have to rely on continual event and bonus week rotations for too much longer.

Teapot is over rated. First time I tried to watch his stream on the latest patch and the moment he started to squeak with delight when he commented about the Scrapper trait line change, i switched video lol

Obviously this guy doesn't play Scrapper at all and he tries very hard to talk like a pro.