Guild Wars 3: Evidence?

Remember, this is ANet. I love them dearly, I have been happy with almost all they've done on this game (various nitpicks aside and accepting that some parts just won't be blow-me-away quality). However, their sense of proportion on announcements has generally been out of whack. They hype stuff that is nice but not major, they lowball the big things to drop as sudden surprises.

Even so, that they've set aside a hunk of time for an announcement, and announced in advance that they've done so, does fill me with cautious hope that this is as big as HoT. I shan't rage if it's not, though, as I'm sure it will be interesting. What is it about? Who knows? We'll find out in just over a month and I very deeply hope that there are no leaks like there were of PoF. Doing my darndest to avoid those I still got spoilers that took some of the edge off the official reveal.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"LinseyMurdock.4165" wrote in May 2019We announced Season 5 [and] we fully intend on making Season 5. We already have our plans pretty well in place for that.

We had to make some adjustments, and really those were about saying, 'You know what? This is an opportunity for us to assess whether we're just doing this because we always have - or because this has been the pattern for the past two seasons - or shall we refresh things a bit and do something a bit different?'

Our fans have been asking for that - for us to do things a little bit differently and not be formulaic, so we took this as an opportunity to do that, to assess and make the right decisions for the game.

a gw3 would involve a conversion of the gemstore items from gw2 to gw3. look how many dollars some people have spend. it was their own decision, yes but imagine they are getting told „ now theres and gw3, your account there starts from scratch...“ boom. i doubt that gw3 will have much store success then knowing all your stuff will vanish again with the next game.

the thread title should be changed. i thought „gw3 evidence“ would involve some data mining proof that gw3 is on its way etc. kinda missleading as its only speculation as usual.

I'm going to burst everyone's bubble on the whole GW3 thing.

The major reason that people want a GW3 is for a new engine, with new graphics, etc. But this isn't going to happen, because the GW2 engine was based upon the GW1 engine, which means that if there was a GW3 it would be based upon the GW2 engine. This is just how it works in the game development world, the engine is a significant part of ArenaNet's IP and they aren't just going to throw it away,.

You don't spend two decades building something only to go "welp, teh gamerz don't like it, lets just start over".

@Hannelore.8153 said:I'm going to burst everyone's bubble on the whole GW3 thing.

The major reason that people want a GW3 is for a new engine, with new graphics, etc. But this isn't going to happen, because the GW2 engine was based upon the GW1 engine, which means that if there was a GW3 it would be based upon the GW2 engine. This is just how it works in the game development world, the engine is a significant part of ArenaNet's IP and they aren't just going to throw it away,.Yeah sort of like how the ID tech 7 engine is based on the ID tech 1 engine and the games look practically the same.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"Hannelore.8153" said:I'm going to burst everyone's bubble on the whole GW3 thing.

The major reason that people want a GW3 is for a new engine, with new graphics, etc. But this isn't going to happen, because the GW2 engine was based upon the GW1 engine, which means that if there was a GW3 it would be based upon the GW2 engine. This is just how it works in the game development world, the engine is a significant part of ArenaNet's IP and they aren't just going to throw it away,.Yeah sort of like how the ID tech 7 engine is based on the ID tech 1 engine and the games look practically the same.

An FPS engine is nothing like an MMO engine, which is a million times more complex. The graphics of FPS games has always been their main focus, while MMOs have to worry about literally everything, while making it all work with a hundred players on screen.

And that's just the client side, the servers of games like GW2 are so demanding they have to run on mini super computers.

Its like saying "Why didn't World of Warcraft look like Quake 3 even though it came out a few years later?".

@Hannelore.8153 said:

An FPS engine is nothing like an MMO engine, which is a million times more complex.By that same logic an RTS engine is nothing like an MMO engine either. Which would be hilarious when you yourself mention Word of Warcraft. You know, that MMO using the engine of a certain RTS game called Warcraft 3.

TL;DR if they want to change the engine they can. Well, assuming they have the technical skills left for it. But that is a whole other matter. That GW3 would use an engine derived from the GW2 engine is alltogether irrelevant, as long as it is improved.

I wouldn't look into a 45 discussion regarding season 5 is any more than that - when Anet went to London and spoke about aurene's death, that was 45mins long with questions and it lead to the next episode only (but was quite interesting)I think they are doing something , look at their career page, 'Previously shipped on a console' as one as the experiences, so i think they are heading that way, maybe with this game.Never saw a survey :(So when do we get the 2nd Gw3 thread?

@Mystic Angelique.4021 said:"There is a thing called 64 bit whether be it out of necessity or forced into it, just be prepared for it."Submission for fact checking

@Mystic Angelique.4021 said:There is a thing called 64 bit whether be it out of necessity or forced into it, just be prepared for it.

The current client moved fully to 64 bit a while ago

Judging by the current progress rate, this will might happen sometime in the future. Final Fantasy Graphic lol

I’m a little confused or misunderstanding what you are meaning. The current client is fully 64 bit it had to after HoT due to memory issues on the existing 32 bit. It came out of beta and I believe patched automatically to all sometime before PoF

@Mystic Angelique.4021 said:

@Mystic Angelique.4021 said:"There is a thing called 64 bit whether be it out of necessity or forced into it, just be prepared for it."Submission for fact checking

@Mystic Angelique.4021 said:There is a thing called 64 bit whether be it out of necessity or forced into it, just be prepared for it.

The current client moved fully to 64 bit a while ago

Judging by the current progress rate, this will might happen sometime in the future. Final Fantasy Graphic lol

I’m a little confused or misunderstanding what you are meaning. The current client is fully 64 bit it had to after HoT due to memory issues on the existing 32 bit. It came out of beta and I believe patched automatically to all sometime before PoF

64 bit Mac beta ? i m just as confused what the question again?

I didn’t see Mac specified sorry

@Mysticjedi.6053 said:This is not a doom and gloom post that GW2 is dead.Instead I believe that Guild Wars 2 has told its story and a third game is on its way in 2 years.My speculations:

• A big 45 minute reveal for just season 5? While it will probably include build templates I predict Season 5 will wrap up a few loose ends in the story, namely ghosts v Charr.
  • Dragons being a necessary balance there is little to no incentive to actually kill them anymore.
  • The number of events in the game are being increased and these increased events are easily automated. This doesn't mean they are abandoning the game, just getting ready to put effort toward another project.
  • Survey released by Anet asks a lot of questions that points toward the beginnings of a third game, rather than an expansion. I don't think I'm breaking any rules by saying the survey existed.

I hope not. Far more loose ends than Ghosts vs Charr to look at here, plus large portions of the maps we've still not visited. Not to mention it takes far more than 2 years to create an MMO. The story is far from over.

Yes, yes. Like i said in other thread, imagine player with 5 or even more characters with full legendary gears playing right now( yes there are players who do that ).Then gw3 happens with character slot as a reward for playing gw2?That player quits. Doesn't want to buy gw3, simply because doesn't want to re-live all the effort of legendary farm.

Only way for gw3 to work is to transfer gw2 characters into it with all the hard working gears gw2 offer. Such transfer is not fun in terms of server's data base storage.And so, gw3 could put arena net in big risk of losing players, instead of adding more.

@Aeon.4583 said:Yes, yes. Like i said in other thread, imagine player with 5 or even more characters with full legendary gears playing right now( yes there are players who do that ).Then gw3 happens with character slot as a reward for playing gw2?That player quits. Doesn't want to buy gw3, simply because doesn't want to re-live all the effort of legendary farm.

Only way for gw3 to work is to transfer gw2 characters into it with all the hard working gears gw2 offer. Such transfer is not fun in terms of server's data base storage.And so, gw3 could put arena net in big risk of losing players, instead of adding more.

I do not understand that argument. Obviously in a new game you start at zero. I would actually look forward to that. Especially in mmos where the path is a big part of the journey. Is there a game that did /does that?

But yeah, the chances for Gw3 are close to zero if we asume it will be an gw2-like mmo. It's rather unwise to fish in your own pond when the whole sea is close by. (mobile game, single player, coop game like gw1,....) I mean if you would have a fan base like apple it would work, but we are far from that.