Whats Preventing You From Quitting The Game

Rendalmj.3152

My Guild! It dosen't matter what we are doing it's always fun to play together. Also a mix of shorter and longer breaks from the game if i don't have fun by playing it. What me also helped to regain and stay on the fun side of hanging around in Tyria was to change my perspective/mindset on how i play the game. I was totally into the meta gaming and min/maxing on ervery char. In the past i wanted the best gear for every situation on every char including all possible legendarys and maxed AR with bonus stats. Also i wanted to have every map fully explored on every toon. So i burned out a year ago and took a break. After coming back i decided to have only one 100% toon and that's my Charrdian.These days i doing only things wich are fun. That's mostly OW stuff and create wired solo builds for this purpose.

1) My guildies <32) My characters3) Time and money invested4) I still have fun in the game. At times I need or have to take a break for a time, but then I come back and have fun.

I answered both of your posts because right now I’m in between states in a way. I was mostly taking a break but logged in from time to time to check things and my healing was wanted — it is good to be wanted, heh. :3 So I joined in for some fractals, dungeons and raids and it was fun so I am back but in casual mode for now. :)

Three things.

Choice. Nothing more than my choice not to stop playing. Free will, I suppose. I certainly don't want guilt, or a sense of ... obligation to keep me banging my head on something that's not enjoyable, that's kinda masochistic, which I know in this regard, I ain't into.

Content. Outside of free will, is that this product hasn't been fully been consumed (in terms of content) for me yet. Just like I would stop chewing on a meal once all the pertinent tasty bits are done, I likely would stop nibbling or trying to irk out that last 'bit' with Guild Wars 2 if and when there was not much else to get from it.

Social ties. Though, beyond the above items; social ties also have a major impact. The more community I'm involved with, the longer the play time will be. Just like any relationship. :)

Nothing is keeping me from quitting this game, I actually bought a couple of other games a while ago, and I'm back again. The 2 games cost me about the same as GW2 cost me for the game/expansions, and I'm done playing the games. I've seen it, know the plot twists and so there is no replayability.

So I came back. I have no direct interest to farm 200 raid tokens for a ring or feel myself in dire need to refocus and commit myself to do CM fractals. Honestly I could care less... I'm doing some story achievements and am wondering if I should make Vision, as I need a goal, but have little time.

I have a decent account, almost 31kAP while I'm not actively AP hunting, 25+ characters, 14k hours played in 7 years.So approx 2000 hours/year played but the actual time played nowadays is 1 maybe 2 hours if I feel like it.I have many Norns, many Sylvari, some humans and a few Charr.

I'm nearing 45. I have 2 growing kids. I only had 1 and bottlefed her while I was exploring Tyria for the 1st time 7 years ago. I played with 1 hand on the KB and a headset on so she could fall asleep while I was battling Dragons and Undead, or while I was running dungeons. About 2-3 years ago, when she started school she asked me why I was playing 'the running game' less and less. I told her I had less time cause I have 2 daughters, and my real life running game was more important.BUT,....It was also cause I felt PoF was not what I hoped for. It was nice, but the content was not inviting me to come back; yes, it had a lot of nice places to visit, but it left me feeling unattached, away from the Shiverpeaks. My Norns were now running through deserts. On mounts. people I met, from this moment on, flashed by. The only place I still felt attached to other players was in dungeons or Fractals, I gave up on CM's and Raids, not to mention Raid CM's. Time constraints and the kids meant these were the most problematic.No more: I want to do all fractals, do dungeon speedruns, mandatory raids, organize the guild missions or anything like it. I had to find less timeconsuming goals.No more 1,5 hours meta's....

I recently upgraded my guildhall (my personal guild) hall to nearly lvl 30, did some achievs and got the corsair helm skin. I miss WvW though.... I just cannot commit enough time... I made Warbringer just before my hiatus and am proud of it. I am Wolf in PvP. I am not very into 5vs5 PvP. The fact I see 10 different dailies makes the feeling of achieving a daily so much less... the fact I feel I have no time makes this feeling stronger.

My friendslist is mostly dead, about 10% is logging in now and then, maybe and additional 20-25% returns for story updats, afterwards they might stay for a few days, maybe a week and then I do not see 'm untill next story patch.

I LOVED the legendary rune concept, same for sigils, and trinkets.I HATE the implementation and the fact I cannot get the legendary ring without the 200 raid tokens. So I'll skip it or all of it. No time.I hate the runes and sigils for the rediculous amount of needed mats... I have only 1 character I want to get legendary. But as the ring is unachievable I'll skip on it.I main warrior. On my warrior I have aquired Pharus, 2 Bolts, Rodgort, Howler, Shooshadoo..... 1 2handed weapon, 1 mainhand weapon and 5 offhands.I also have Bifrost, Nevermore, Meteorologicus, Kudzu, Warbringer, the pre of the the PvP backpack Ascension.My main has legendary weapons. legendary armor, a legendary back, a legendary trinket, and maybe a second legendary trinket on its way.I might consider legendary underwater weapons, a legendary breather, and very, very maybe legendary runes., or not.. I'll likely skip the ring, I'll skip the sigils. But the feeling of grind doesn't help anymore. As such this game is done. The 'MUST replay through and through for the legendary'-grind killed the game for me in the end. And the CM modes for all high end content, at least for me. There is just no time. And too much pressure for the need for trained rotations, recent builds , group compositions, balance is nice, but Each time stuff changes I need to relearn the class, and I just DO NOT HAVE THE TIME. nor do I have the patience to get 500 mystic coins for each legendary. They used to cost 250, and even this was much.

I have 25 other characters with 31 ascneded armors. I have a bit less then 200 ascneded weapons, the 25 characters all have fitting trinket sets and backs, nearly all ascneded. Just resetting my trinkets costs me 1-2 months to lose the warnings when I open a new character after that patch. Maybe the game died for me because of it's succes.

I find this game still draws me in, and I remember the magic it had going for itself and for me the 1st 5 years... and I sometimes just take a character and go to a location and sit there and watch the scenery. It has become a refuge for the soul, but I feel tired of the mandatory grinds...
I still visit. Walk around LA... Do some dungeon paths or do some t3 or t4 fractals, but it feels more distant each time I return. My personal army of avatars will remain on standby. I just hope I can keep returning to visit now and then. The journey has been unbelievable, the people as well, both players, GM's and support people. Still I have no clue what to do now.... New stories are nice. We'll see. I might try to make some time.

For 7 years I have played. Through good health and bad, really bad, Oh Dear God No bad. With friends from all over the globe and some I discovered here in my own backyard. I never had such a community of people who would laugh and joke with me in any other game like this one. As long as there are good people to play this game with, I will play until either the servers go down or you pry my keyboard out of my cold dead hands.

Its simple you remove what kept players playing day to day and you remove that customer from your game and profit pool. So when your day to day player stops playing your game that essentially is game over for the developer. Is why the bigger hand came to the little hand and said cut off some fingers we are going mobile.

Still really love the look and feel of GW2. I love my characters, I enjoy the story, and the gameplay is fun. I've been playing since GW1 so have a lot of fondness and long-term interest in the game.

Like others in this thread, I can't be anything more than a casual player these days based on time commitments alone, but I always come back for each expansion or story update, and sometimes I spend a little in the gem store for the obligatory fashion wars. While people on the forums bemoan the grind, the ultimate truth is that very little grind is required to play the fundamentals of the game. I wouldn't pretend I was raid-worthy, but on my main, I've stuck with exotics and changed my build very little since I found one that I liked pre-Heart of Thorns and it still works for all general PvE content. It's that 'pick up and play' level of design that makes GW2 successful, IMO. It's low maintenance and fills a gap in the market that most other MMOs don't touch.

@Firebeard.1746 said:

I really think gw2 would be destroying other MMOs if they added seasonal rewards (probably cosmetic) to fractals, raids, pvp and wvw along with special seasonal mechanics (along with rotating ones like M+) to keep that content fresh. Adding incentive and variation to static old content. It would give hardcore gamers something to work toward and something to entertain them. It wouldn't have to clash with the gem store either. They could add either a back item or mount that compliments the other cosmetic rewards but still lets the earnable ones stand on their own, that way people don't feel required to buy it but it helps their revenue stream for people who want to complete the set. I'm under no delusions, i know anet needs cash especially if they're adding regular new content.

Very much this. Seasonal rewards are a great idea. This works and is something Clash Royale(a mobile tower defense game) implements. They have seasonal(a season is like 1 month) skins unique to that season. I have to buy some pass for 5 bucks to be able to earn it. They don't have to gate it behind a paywall, but having seasonal rewards is a great idea. GW2 is really missing lore. this would generate some throughout the years. They of course as you said can complete the set with gem store items. Win win.

I have to finish doing Binding of Ipos. I hate so much those gen 2, just annoying, no quest or little story with them plus the abberation of condensed gift. Already finished the first two tiers, don't want to continue further. SERIOUSLY, I have to make 100 shards of Dark Arts.annoying. GEN 2 ARE A CHORE.

The only thing left for me is exploration and lore trying to find cool easter eggs around or info (currently seeking asuran scripts) but even that seems the devs don't care about, putting nothing to find whereas I think it's vital for adventurer/"archaologist" like me to have something hidden to find within maps. We even have sheet of papers spread on the ground in several instances even the recent "test subject" but the quality is so bad and blurred that I can't even read it/translate it. Like nobody want us to discover anything. Just too many mystery. Do you remember in Ebonhawke who saw a ghost in the mine? Would have liked to see it. They are 0 spooky place in that game and it's a shame, the only one is the haunted house with charr cubs.

I'm just bored and tired, I don't have the force to farm brainlessly and endlessy the same content/gold farm to be able to buy smth in the gemstore. Just that, seeing nothing interesting in-game, nothing to earn easily, push me away from buying in gemstore. Why investing if in return I've nothing? See I'm willing to do leggy gen 2, but can't will have less and less time soon at a point I can't do anything anymore.

So that's preventing me from leaving but not in the good way. It's just like ls5, what is keeping me is hopes and dreams.

For me it's simply that I still enjoy playing it, I don't actually put a lot of thought into it. I just get on the computer and decide which game I feel like playing and sometimes (fairly often actually) that's GW2. I almost never quit a game, I just don't feel like playing it as much and so the gaps get longer. I know there's games I'm not playing now, but I couldn't tell you when I stopped without checking the dates on my last save file.

I think it helps that I don't always have much time (mainly evenings and some weekends, and not always then). And when I am in-game I play slowly - taking my time exploring, talking to NPCs, talking to people in guild chat and so on. So it takes me longer to get anything done (sometimes I almost envy the people who say they can complete a whole living story episode, including achievements and map completion in 2-3 hours, it's more likely to take me 10+ hours over the course of a week or two) and that means I've always had goals to aim for.

Right now I'm working on making the Claw of the Khan-Ur so I'm doing WvW for the Gift of Battle, doing Vabbian hearts for Funerary Incense, collecting Elder Wood, Mithril and various other materials and doing whatever interests me for gold. I also recently did the Gourmet collection and got my chef to level 500 cooking, I have various characters I'm still levelling and/or getting through the story and I'm always doing map completion on at least one of them. I've also recently gotten into raids again after finding a good guild who doesn't mind that I can't commit to a regular time slot. :)

Define "quitting the game". I could be described as casual. I played this game a lot more a few years ago than I do now--ever since the content drought I've given my attention to other experiences like the Nintendo Switch and Xbox One. I log in once in a while to see if I got any mail and whatever else might be new. I log in to play the new living world episode for three hours and then log off for a month or so. I get a small drop of liquid honey that is real content, and Anet doesn't get to tempt me with gem store purchases while I forget about the game until the next content drop.

Been playing for about six and a bit years now, started out in pve.Went into wvw around 2014 because a friend said it was fun. Turned out that I really liked it and basically didn´t set foot in pve since. Nowadays I have zero interest in pve content, haven´t even bothered to collect most of the mounts or even been to the new maps as the thought of have to go through endless hoops with map completions etc just makes me sleepy.

I got the best thing in my irl life from the game as I met my wife in wvw, back in the day when wvw was fun and engaging.Not the roflstomp/1-shot this and that/biggest blob wins mentality with bandwagoning all over the shop because ”winning” (read karmatrain empty maps) or evade all fights with mounts is all that matters to most servers.I can barely log in now and do my dailies before I get bored, and most wvw friends left somewhere around HoT, so the incentive to play just isn´t there anymore for me.Been on a break for a while now, popping back in now and then to see what´s changed but as wvw feels like the forgotten game mode I guess I´ll have to look elsewhere for my wvw fix.

@kharmin.7683 said:I am a very casual player with limited time due to family and work obligations. GW2 is not subscription based, so I am not losing money during the times when I am unable to login and play. This is the primary reason for me. Additionally, I have a few friends (and my spouse) in the same situation so we coordinate a game night from time to time where we can not only play but socialize.

Not having PvP in PvE areas is also a big attraction for me. I've tried other MMOs where this is rampant and I did not enjoy it.

The combat mechanics are more enjoyable to me than in other MMOs I've tried. Yeah, I'm a filthy casual, but I'm not a 111111'er. I actually do use my utilities and other skills.

The community keeps me here, too, both in game and here in the forums.

I'm sure that there are a few other reasons, but these are the highest ones for me.

I believe that THIS (less the spouce/friends part, at least for me) is the quintessential answer.For me, I have spent an ungodly amount of money supporting this game, as a casual, and yet have managed to keep playing these past 7 years. I could say that the $$ keeps me from quitting, but I spent a lot of money on WoW ('original' back in the day, not this watercolor kitten they have now). I have also taken a couple of long breaks too (I missed the whole Scarlet-destroys-LA bit).Being able to come back as if I were never gone is the biggest draw. Love this game.