Whats Preventing You From Quitting The Game

Rendalmj.3152

@nerdshock.7406 said:I've looked into other MMORPGs, but I always come back to GW2. Nowadays I mainly play GW2 as a stress relief game. I love the fact you can dive in and simply wrap up your dailies or spend more time in game to roam around, enjoy events, get a bit more serious or - in my case - wrap up Living World episodes and casually work on unlocking masteries. All that without a subscription fee.

I've been playing more now that the boyfriend has started his journey in Tyria. It's refreshing to see someone play who has only seen a fraction of the game and is not burdened with the 'knowledge of how it used to be'. His enthusiasm to get further into the game has helped me worry less about what was or could be, but simply enjoy playing the game.

It is not even 'how it used to be' for me. I could maybe deal with a static game. Not be happy mind, I would only be here until I could find something else, even a phone game. With me it is support for the mac client being broken this fall and anet not wanting to even say anything about the issue (which anyone who sees apple's dev betas can plainly see).

Note that this is not a 'what machine is better for games' thing. Last I looked apple was a supported platform on the official site. In fact, they deprecated their 32 bit clients and tell people to use a 64 bit OS. Ironically, it is precisely because the next mac OS is 64 bit and does not mess around with 32 bit stuff that anet is in this mess, their mac client still calls a 32 bit library for their precious store. I am wondering if the same is true for the windows client as that might be a concern there at some point too. In other words, they want the credit for supporting a platform but do not want to put in the work to maintain it.

Ironically, all of their recent work on the mac 64 bit client will be for naught if they do not update this library. Which also speaks volumes, that they can not maintain past development efforts, even if the solution is to patch out the store and make it so you need to access it on the web or a friend's window box.

I'm playing this game because otherwise I'd go insane.

My story is a sad one. I am disabled, afflicted with two rare diseases and many other off-shoots that may or may not be related. I can't work, can't go to college, don't have any money, etc. I play this game because idle hands drive me insane, and earning gold in-game at least gives me a sense of accomplishment.

The only thing that's preventing me from FULLY quitting is ESO "subscription" model. To fully enjoy ESO u basically gotta subscribe.. cuz playin without crafting bag and with all those limitations is too painful. Also.. there's lack of options in mmorpg genre. Whenever somethin decent comes out im out xD Well even now i'm like 50% out but still.. checking on updates n stuff is already 30% of my gameplay. Dang i wish Aion would've never died.. that game had everything MMO needed. >< Greedy company was the culprit in Aions case. Probably many of us are just playing cuz there's no real options left out there. But whenever somethin decent comes i'm sure we'll hop outta here. Oh and sadly BDO is IP blocked for some of european countries... pity i never tried that one :/ probably would've liked it.

It became so much of my nearly daily routine for gaming that its hard to break those habits. I'm doing it though. Slow but surely I'm distancing myself from this game. It never got to addiction levels but the direction Anet wants to take this game is clear and I'm not interested in it anymore. I'm glad people can still find the same joy they had day one, seven years later. That's awesome. There's just no spark there for me anymore. The rewards aren't exciting, the content is completed in 30 minutes after waiting 2-3 months for it, and the content I really want will never come (WvW). I've accepted it now and I'm becoming happy again as I pull myself away from this game.

@"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:I'm playing this game because otherwise I'd go insane.

My story is a sad one. I am disabled, afflicted with two rare diseases and many other off-shoots that may or may not be related. I can't work, can't go to college, don't have any money, etc. I play this game because idle hands drive me insane, and earning gold in-game at least gives me a sense of accomplishment.

Dang man. I feel u. But to some extent i'm jealous. I used to do the same but my problem was more "mental". I just didn't want nor i've seen any reasons to do anything except gaming (even now i don't see any point in that real world "rat race" every1 is so stuck in). I gotta say i miss those days dearly. The lack of decent MMOs kind of forced me out of it tbh. Else i would've never left home. Sometimes real world doesn't have to offer much and try not to feel bad about it. You aren't loosing much.

Honestly? My family. Got a gamer family and to spend time with them, I play GW2 with them.

Been playing GW2 since beta and headstart and I actually quit after LW1 as I got bored pretty quick and didn't like the changes they were making. It wasn't until halfway through HoT that my family decided to finally try it (they used to play GW1), and they wanted me to join them.

So I still play because I like spending time with them. But when they decide to move on, I'll more than likely quit again.

I'm in limbo but the biggest attraction for me is that progress is more or less permanent in ascended tier and higher, as someone with limited time it's nice to not have your progress wiped all the time. I want to hit a point where i'm useful in group content and in WoW i feel like i'm either being carried by guildies or my sheer skill in build design. My ilvls and neck are unimpressive compared to my peers who M+. They're definitely better than average but you have to remember most of the community doesn't venture outside of heroic dungeons, weekly events (timewalking or m0 on those mythic dungeon weeks) and the open world.

I actually didn't log into wow at all last night and i was able to: complete a thunderpeaks meta, earning shards for my dragon, complete and win a match in pvp earning my dailies and was able to make ley line anomaly just after, earning a significant amount of gold and progress towards my goals in a very short time frame(45 mins). In wow i would have spent most of that time in group finder maybe just to have someone abandon our group as i pug M+ alot

I really think gw2 would be destroying other MMOs if they added seasonal rewards (probably cosmetic) to fractals, raids, pvp and wvw along with special seasonal mechanics (along with rotating ones like M+) to keep that content fresh. Adding incentive and variation to static old content. It would give hardcore gamers something to work toward and something to entertain them. It wouldn't have to clash with the gem store either. They could add either a back item or mount that compliments the other cosmetic rewards but still lets the earnable ones stand on their own, that way people don't feel required to buy it but it helps their revenue stream for people who want to complete the set. I'm under no delusions, i know anet needs cash especially if they're adding regular new content.

@"Dave.6819" said:The only thing that's preventing me from FULLY quitting is ESO "subscription" model. To fully enjoy ESO u basically gotta subscribe.. cuz playin without crafting bag and with all those limitations is too painful. Also.. there's lack of options in mmorpg genre. Whenever somethin decent comes out im out xD Well even now i'm like 50% out but still.. checking on updates n stuff is already 30% of my gameplay. Dang i wish Aion would've never died.. that game had everything MMO needed. >< Greedy company was the culprit in Aions case. Probably many of us are just playing cuz there's no real options left out there. But whenever somethin decent comes i'm sure we'll hop outta here. Oh and sadly BDO is IP blocked for some of european countries... pity i never tried that one :/ probably would've liked it.

ESO was one of the games I looked at but yeah, that and I found other issues as well. BDO does not appeal but you could probably use a VPN. From what I can tell of their website aion is still alive, it is not in the running for me as it does not have a mac client (I would want to be able to play whatever game on multiple machines so bootcamping one is not viable).

I love the way the game plays. I set myself goals to keep myself amused during the content lulls.

A couple of weeks ago I finished running my charr necro through the entire story from the starting instance through the personal story, living world seasons and both expansions. I've just completed my ninth suit of ascended armour. I now have nine characters who are fully equipped with ascended equipment (apart from underwater weapons), my other nine have ascended trinkets but exotic armour and weapons (with a smattering of ascended weapons). I've finished unlocking Tempest on the 18th character last night.

I'm not sure what to do next. Truth be told I'm kinda running out of things I want to do.

Nothing's keeping me from quitting. If I wanted to quit, I'd quit. But the thing is, I'm still having tons of fun here and I have no interest in quitting. I have friends who enjoy the game and I can play with them, I have solo goals to pursue when it's just me on line, I am retired and have plenty of time to play, why would quitting even cross my mind?

There are only two reasons I've ever quit an MMO (as in deleted from my computer and never logged in again).

A ) It never hooked me to begin with.B ) I didn't like where the story/characters were going.

I'm perfectly happy to spend months logging in for a few minutes every day until new content comes out. Especially if I'm not paying a sub fee. So unless ANet completely drops the ball storywise, I might be around forever.

@Menadena.7482 said:

@nerdshock.7406 said:I've looked into other MMORPGs, but I always come back to GW2. Nowadays I mainly play GW2 as a stress relief game. I love the fact you can dive in and simply wrap up your dailies or spend more time in game to roam around, enjoy events, get a bit more serious or - in my case - wrap up Living World episodes and casually work on unlocking masteries. All that without a subscription fee.

I've been playing more now that the boyfriend has started his journey in Tyria. It's refreshing to see someone play who has only seen a fraction of the game and is not burdened with the 'knowledge of how it used to be'. His enthusiasm to get further into the game has helped me worry less about what was or could be, but simply enjoy playing the game.

It is not even 'how it used to be' for me. I could maybe deal with a static game. Not be happy mind, I would only be here until I could find something else, even a phone game. With me it is support for the mac client being broken this fall and anet not wanting to even say anything about the issue (which anyone who sees apple's dev betas can plainly see).

Note that this is not a 'what machine is better for games' thing. Last I looked apple was a supported platform on the official site. In fact, they deprecated their 32 bit clients and tell people to use a 64 bit OS. Ironically, it is precisely because the next mac OS is 64 bit and does not mess around with 32 bit stuff that anet is in this mess, their mac client still calls a 32 bit library for their precious store. I am wondering if the same is true for the windows client as that might be a concern there at some point too. In other words, they want the credit for supporting a platform but do not want to put in the work to maintain it.

Ironically, all of their recent work on the mac 64 bit client will be for naught if they do not update this library. Which also speaks volumes, that they can not maintain past development efforts, even if the solution is to patch out the store and make it so you need to access it on the web or a friend's window box.

You do realize that 32 bit is never going to disappear from Windows now that Microsoft has explicitly stated that Win 10 is the last full new version they're making, with only security patches, incremental updates and QoL improvements from here on out...the 32-bit kernal is legacy code built into Win 10. I of course can not speak for Apple but it makes sense they would try to get rid of their own 32 bit legacy, how else would they intend to force people to update their hardware and software?

@"Rendalmj.3152" said:Last time i made a thread '' Whats Preventing You From Coming Back To The Game '' . Now this is for those who still play the game. Why do you still play the game after so many years and whats preventing you from quitting?

Nothing "prevents" me from quitting, I choose to continue playing because I like the game, I have fun playing it and it's an escape from every day bullshit.

It’s very simple for me:

• I play if I am able to set me goals
  • I Pause till some come up

Last year till June I did not really played,Then I had warclaw, skyscale and 3 LS episodes as goal and currently after I reached them get some more achievement points is my goal.

If I got them I’ll probably leave till something intenersting is available again in gw2

@Zaklex.6308 said:

You do realize that 32 bit is never going to disappear from Windows now that Microsoft has explicitly stated that Win 10 is the last full new version they're making, with only security patches, incremental updates and QoL improvements from here on out...the 32-bit kernal is legacy code built into Win 10. I of course can not speak for Apple but it makes sense they would try to get rid of their own 32 bit legacy, how else would they intend to force people to update their hardware and software?

Actually it will. I am a dev elsewhere on windows boxes and over the years have seen one tool after another losing 32 bit status and had to migrate. Even if the consumer grade OS still technically supports it at some point something anet uses will not and they will be forced to migrate. If the guild wars 2 client calls and win32 code it is living on borrowed time.

I have to admit that i spent a lot of my time playing the game.. lots of fond memories fun and laughs over these years.. from being single to married with two young children.. hehe.. i dont want to quit. I play less these days but i never miss any new achievements.. so any new content and update i will be there getting all the achievements done.I think there isnt many good mmo out there too that is why gw2 still survive and with base players like us.. it will be around for a while

As time goes by I play less and less. Eventually it will lead to zero.

My view of the player population when I'm in WvW is that its dwindling away. Sometimes in large spurts, sometimes very slowly. At some point it'll reach the point of no longer being fun and that's the day I walk away for good and not come back. Seems that a lot of wvw players hit that threshold.