Why is this community so terribly disrespectful and toxic on the official twitch stream?

urd.8306

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

@"diomache.9246" said:Nothing of what you say is an excuse for that kind of behaviour. Sorry that I have to say that.

I mean thats a two way street, its the only place to reliably communicate with the dev's. (Most people assume the forums are a waste, that they aren't even read and for years they had a point. Mike Z even said that they paid more attention to reddit than the forums) That said being an kitten wont get anywhere. Like Guild wars 2 has a perception of being the meme "Woke" mmo and they are trying to turn that around.

But that hills is a steep one paved with years of broken promises, empty words and disillusioned vet players and tons of snarky "My MMO BEETAH" guys. Its to be expected, welcome to the internet... all and all Im shook they gave us a trailer.

Gw2 is the meme "woke" mmo? Never heard of that. Where do people talk about that? Ive just never heard that before.

I agree that it's an internet problem generally. My work has a similar problem, even though that's a very different audience - predominantly over 50 years old and not especially tech savy. We periodically have to remind them that when they're commenting on things online, responding to videos, sending emails etc. they are still talking to real people and not simply a computer because some of the communications range from very abrupt (like they're putting keywords in a search engine instead of asking a person to help them) to shockingly rude or out-right abusive.

It's not uncommon to realise they literally haven't thought about it - they were frustrated with something or disappointed or whatever and they were taking it out on the faceless computer screen, totally forgetting about the people behind it will see the message too and in some cases are required to act on it because it's their job. To some extent you get used to it (especially the more rediculous end of the spectrum - I've had people screaming abuse at me because they just bragged to me about breaking the law and then realised that was a really, really stupid mistake - those ones are actually easier to laugh off than the ones where you kind of sympathise with the problems but the way they're expressing it is totally inappropriate.

Thank you for making this thread. I thought the same. Twitch seems to be a trollhole.People mostly spammed "dx12" and "This stream cannot access the login server" and other bookah stuff while telling the devs to shut up.They want the devs to fulfil their wishes? Then they better stop being a disrespectful brat right into their faces. Those people should feel ashamed, they were extremely disgusting today.

Was there anything of interest in that stream, though? I only watched the first segment (of over two hours, I think), and that was basically a private video chat between colleagues catching up on how they've been these past couple of months. I didn't even tune in for any follow-up segments. (shrugs)

As for people's toxicity, the same thing is happening a lot in-game and with alarming increase (and has for the past 2+ years). I miss the times when you could actually enjoy reading the chat and communicating with other players on a decent level. Now it's mostly lowbrow nonsense, appalling prepubescent humor, and a lot of trolling and insults.

@timetopat.7921 said:

@"diomache.9246" said:Nothing of what you say is an excuse for that kind of behaviour. Sorry that I have to say that.

I mean thats a two way street, its the only place to reliably communicate with the dev's. (Most people assume the forums are a waste, that they aren't even read and for years they had a point. Mike Z even said that they paid more attention to reddit than the forums) That said being an kitten wont get anywhere. Like Guild wars 2 has a perception of being the meme "Woke" mmo and they are trying to turn that around.

But that hills is a steep one paved with years of broken promises, empty words and disillusioned vet players and tons of snarky "My MMO BEETAH" guys. Its to be expected, welcome to the internet... all and all Im shook they gave us a trailer.

Gw2 is the meme "woke" mmo? Never heard of that. Where do people talk about that? Ive just never heard that before.

Anytime I've brought up guild wars with my friends who play mmo's such as WoW or ESO. I get that kind of response; Or simply they thought it had died or had no Idea what it was. But if people don't play and know if it normally the views of the game are less then stellar...

@"diomache.9246" said:I just switched into the GW2 stream and I'm still a bit shocked. Why people feel the need to be that toxic to those people that make this great game many of us play for eight years now? I can understand that some people want certain things to change, but if you want something, you'd rather be nice or at least fair in your criticism. Yelling, Insulting or Spamming gets you nowhere.I really feel bad for everyone having to read that. With behaviour like that you get nothing, you just alienate the devs that put their ideas, their work and a lot more into the game. You even annoy the majority of the players that normally play with you, new players that may join the stream because of the steam release.If you don't like where the game is going, leave it or be constructive in your criticism.

Anyways, thanks Anet and everyone working on it for the game you made. I still enjoy it - and even most of the community.

I've been playing MMOs since EQ1. Games are no longer about having fun, and corporations are no longer about delivering a quality product + customer satisfaction. Hopefully someday we'll get through the "phone game" junk, and some quality MMOs will come out that are run by people with some actual creativity in the mold of the late Gary Gygax.

• Confused 1

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

Anytime I've brought up guild wars with my friends who play mmo's such as WoW or ESO. I get that kind of response; Or simply they thought it had died or had no Idea what it was. But if people don't play and know if it normally the views of the game are less then stellar...

See that part I understand. Lots of people remember all the hype for when the game launched and stopped paying attention to it. The woke part through me for a loop, like Anet does pride and has good representation, but like most mmos now have representation. Wow finally is adding options for humans and elves in its latest expansion.

@"diomache.9246" said:I just switched into the GW2 stream and I'm still a bit shocked. Why people feel the need to be that toxic to those people that make this great game many of us play for eight years now? I can understand that some people want certain things to change, but if you want something, you'd rather be nice or at least fair in your criticism. Yelling, Insulting or Spamming gets you nowhere.I really feel bad for everyone having to read that. With behaviour like that you get nothing, you just alienate the devs that put their ideas, their work and a lot more into the game. You even annoy the majority of the players that normally play with you, new players that may join the stream because of the steam release.If you don't like where the game is going, leave it or be constructive in your criticism.

Anyways, thanks Anet and everyone working on it for the game you made. I still enjoy it - and even most of the community.

Generalization doesn't do much for your position.

It is not "the community" that is toxic on the official twitch stream, it is individuals that are toxic on the official twitch stream.

@"Dante.1508" said:Not to be rude but that's the normal internet op.. You are artificially sheltered here by mods.. The real world and internet are not like this.

Pretty much this. I see this kind of behaviour with nearly all games and developers. I've seen people act "toxic" everywhere even in this game, from PvP to open world PvE.

Sorry but... there is a reason why people starting to be toxic.Over and over again players asking for simple things, like:Set Character Model Limit to 'do not load\zero' - to prevent infusion+weapons+backpack+trinkets particle overstaking into player's video card, which is lowers fps and adds stress on v-card.Some form of action bar with hotkey to use food - because so many action needs to be done to use single portion of food and you have to do it every 30 mins. There is no food timer stacking, there is no automatic usage of it when time runs out.Adding more Equipment Templates - because we have many specs variations ( uncluding elites ) and with them weapon variations and sigil variation. And 6!!!! just not enough.Wardrobe templates - to store favorite character looks, and use single Wardrobe Template on all Equipment templates.Non-Interactable user interface elements while in combat - because you need certain information from event progress for example, hiding it during combat is not good, and you still can accidentally click on it during intense fight, and have very unpleasant experience.

Some of it are really easy to add, character model limit - zero for example, to ease those nasty overstacked particle infusions from someone else's character.But none of it have been added. Not even a single mention that it's will be added.

@diomache.9246 said:I just switched into the GW2 stream and I'm still a bit shocked. Why people feel the need to be that toxic to those people that make this great game many of us play for eight years now? I can understand that some people want certain things to change, but if you want something, you'd rather be nice or at least fair in your criticism. Yelling, Insulting or Spamming gets you nowhere.I really feel bad for everyone having to read that. With behaviour like that you get nothing, you just alienate the devs that put their ideas, their work and a lot more into the game. You even annoy the majority of the players that normally play with you, new players that may join the stream because of the steam release.If you don't like where the game is going, leave it or be constructive in your criticism.

Why? Because they keep ignoring us when we voice the content we really want, and how many fixes this game needs before they should even consider pushing new content. The Trading Post was bugged up for several days recently and it's still happening despite bug reports. Plus the new Skimmer mastery achievement was a HUGE disaster. Bugged all over, including the new race. It's like Anet doesn't properly test new releases before rushing them out. I'm passionate about this game which is why I get so upset over these things. I want this game to succeed and the way things are going right now, it'll make people not want to play anymore in the future. They need to stop making new maps with episodes and just give us more story, because that's where the magic is (at least for me). Not 30 mins of story with 1.5 hours of map completion and a meta event that takes 2 hours to complete. This game could be better, but they're ignoring us. Alliances is a very good example of ignored updates that we really want. And every time I voice how I'd love for things to be better, someone is rude to me in the game, so why bother trying anymore? Nobody wants this game to get better it seems, or I'm just getting responses from the wrong ones. :/

@"Ray Koopa.2354" said:Thank you for making this thread. I thought the same. Twitch seems to be a trollhole.People mostly spammed "dx12" and "This stream cannot access the login server" and other bookah stuff while telling the devs to shut up.They want the devs to fulfil their wishes? Then they better stop being a disrespectful brat right into their faces. Those people should feel ashamed, they were extremely disgusting today.

Lol that's actually pretty funny, and tame to be honest.

@Rukia.4802 said:

@"Ray Koopa.2354" said:Thank you for making this thread. I thought the same. Twitch seems to be a trollhole.People mostly spammed "dx12" and "This stream cannot access the login server" and other bookah stuff while telling the devs to shut up.They want the devs to fulfil their wishes? Then they better stop being a disrespectful brat right into their faces. Those people should feel ashamed, they were extremely disgusting today.

Lol that's actually pretty funny, and tame to be honest.

It may be funny the first time but not if spammed throughout the whole stream between messages of "bla bla bla talk about the game or shut up".

@Rukia.4802 said:

Lol that's actually pretty funny, and tame to be honest.Yep the stream chat was really tame like even way too tame, like people are respecting that Arenanet does not like some stuff but people are still cheeky about some things that they are not happy about, like the performance of the game has been quite bad for a while, the servers are kinda melting so people joke about it.Also they don't seem to communicate with the chat on on Guild Chat it seems prerecorded, and that is the best part about streaming communicating with the stream chat that is what makes it different from other forms of entertainment, they also forget the stream is for entertaining the people that watch it.I'm not expecting Chris Metzen type of hypeman, but they do need at least one person that can fill that role, someone with the charisma and pazazz that can lift the energy up, make things exciting. Some of the people on the stream are kinda boring and some are quite entertaining, for example Joel is always fun to watch cause when he talks about probably the most boring aspect of the game that makes it run, the background mechanics, he talks with passion about it and knows how to sell it (also master Paint skills) and that makes it entertaining.

@Alin.2468 said:Simple answer: game is dead.

Complex answer: game is not dead yet, as people still hope for something better (ballance in PvP, Guild vs Guild, revitalization of WvW, and so on), and these hopes kept for a long time tend to create frustrations, which are spilled on other players (even though it's not their fault) creating the so called toxicity.

The game isn't all about PvP. You don't like what you have, go play one of the many other PvP games like BDO etc. It frustrates me to no end that the PvPers think everything has to revolve around them so much so that they piss and moan on Twitch streams. Also, balance is spelled balance.

I honestly don't even know what is the point of allowing chat/comments on livestreams. Unless the streamer specifically wants to interact and have discussions with the audience, that is.

If it's a popular stream, the comments will just be flooded with emoji, toxicity, memes, spam etc. and if there are few actually good questions or comments, no one will see them anyway.

@"Hevoskuuri.3891" said:I honestly don't even know what is the point of allowing chat/comments on livestreams.

Yes, maybe ... we should write letters again, like we used to, back in the day, you remember? Or send messages, perhaps, by smoke signals? Perhaps with the horse-drawn stagecoach? Any other suggestions? Okay, jokes aside. The world today, more than ever, lives from digital content (discussions of all kinds, whether meaningful or meaningless) or entertainment. It is necessary to filter, to differentiate ... yes, to learn to deal with them. It is not always easy if you are willing or interested to participate - create your freedom.

In general: It is up to everyone to read or comment on them or not. Also, these can usually be turned off when it gets too much for you. And there are certainly worse or more unbearable "chats" than those of GW2. Prohibiting or banning them would possibly be both tragic and, as already mentioned, outdated. And if it is too much or exaggerated, there are at least (or in the end) moderators that should clean up, that's what they are there for or should be, among other things. Don't they?

Unless the streamer specifically wants to interact and have discussions with the audience, that is.

Maybe like this: When grown-ups talk, kids listen?!I could give a few more examples, but they would be far less tasteful.

Welcome to the 21st century.

@Tere.4759 said:

@"Alin.2468" said:Simple answer: game is dead.

Complex answer: game is not dead yet, as people still hope for something better (ballance in PvP, Guild vs Guild, revitalization of WvW, and so on), and these hopes kept for a long time tend to create frustrations, which are spilled on other players (even though it's not their fault) creating the so called toxicity.

The game isn't all about PvP. You don't like what you have, go play one of the many other PvP games like BDO etc. It frustrates me to no end that the PvPers think everything has to revolve around them so much so that they kitten and moan on Twitch streams. Also, balance is spelled balance.

The very same thing can be said about raids and end-game PvE such as fractals. WoW has raids, and fractal like mythic + so go play those games if you want that kind of content? The logic here is flawed; If you aren't willing to support a game mode than cease its existence and tell everyone "This is not what our game is about" but on steam they pride themselves on "True competitive" play, at the bottom and it is a pillar of the game.