Is GW2 dead

If you're posting on this forum then you've got an account already, why not just log in and see for yourself?

But if you really want an answer then no it's not dead. An expansion is going to come out later this year, they've recently announced their plans for the summer and there's lots of people still playing all parts of the game.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Imo, gw2 is not dead, it's just had one of it's worst years from a community standpoint, unfortunately, this happened after the previously worse year... Anyway, the game still has one of the best combat systems in an MMO. There are also still many people playing it, enough to do most content if you know how to use LFG and make groups. PvP is in a sad state, and doesn't seem to have any indication to recover. WvW is surprisingly still going, although not as active as it once was, you can still zerg around, and sometimes face opposition. I'd say WvW hasn't been as impacted by terrible balance as PvP since the fights are in larger numbers. There is supposed to be a new expansion coming out, and I can't imagine it'll be the disaster that the last few content releases have been. There is no clear sign on the future of the game, but right now, it's still worth playing if you enjoy the content. And it'll likely be around for at least 2-3 more years, although if Anet can go back to what they did great with gw2 and improve that, there is hope of a recovery that could give the game even another decade and new expansion. But it depends on whether next expansion ends up being good. 

This is coming from someone who barely plays anymore, mostly cause my favorite game modes have been trash for a while now. (PvP and Story Missions/Maps) The last content releases got me to uninstall, but I came back to see how it ended... Anyway, I'm not going to uninstall this time. Just play as I feel like, which is another good thing about this game vs other MMOs. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SexyMofo.8923 said:

Yes.  There was a mass exodus from the last living story.

Really? Mass exodus? Apart from a few opinions and people raging, I'm not sure how many are leaving... they're all like "Yeah, I agree with you WP/etc. but then they see that those keep playing and after the disappointment of the story turn wears off, you look at the MMOs out there and realise GW2 is still one of the better ones. And you know an Xpac is on its way, new content, new player influx, new activity... is this the time to leave? Probably more like taking a short break.

But to answer the OP, no, the game is not dead, and there will be a lot of different activities and updates to the game throughout summer up until July 27th when we'll get the next "information dump" on End of Dragons xpac.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

Nope, open word maps are full of ppl (drizzle/ley-line anomaly, etc), raids you got alot lfg same as raid trening guilds, wvw is zerg fiesta if you play on top 10  servers, dungeons/drms are easy to make full in 2-5min after posting lfg, pvp pop in 2-4min even if your hight rank

ppl that play this game over 8y can say it's dead as thay achived evrythink and burned themself out

Other then that game is updated with new content even evry month (not year)

Edited by Noah Salazar.5430
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I came across a youtuber that was just checking out the game two or three weeks ago.  She seems to be completely taken by the game.  While I will not deny that Ice Brood Saga has...left much to be desired in several aspects, I don't think you can call it dead.  Especially not when you see new people come into the game and get completely blown away like that YouTuber I mentioned. 

For those that are curious, I was referring to "XanBlast Productions" on YT. 

• Like 4

Weird, mass exodus? interesting. 

I have not really noticed that on NA servers. 

Is the population as high as release back in 2012? Nope. 

However, for world bosses; instances are constantly being filled. 

Meta events still have people doing them. 

Every time I hop into WvW i'm always finding small zergs or roamers to boop. 

As stated above by a couple. There are still content creators checking out the game and loving it. 

Most of the complaints come from a couple of areas. 

A) People in a situation like me who burn through all the content, have all the Legendaries and are just afking. 

B) People who's subscription to FF14 or WoW expired and they're mad that GW2 is not an exact carbon copy of those 2 games.

Give the game a shot though.  Base game is free (with restrictions). Expansions are bundled together so buy PoF if you want the full experience. Chances are, you'll get at least $30 of entertainment out of the game (cost to upgrade from free to both expansions). There is no subscription fee, so you don't have that "I have to play it now or i'm wasting money" feeling. Which is rather nice when you do suffer a burnout and need to take a small break. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Wolfey.3407 said:

Weird, mass exodus? interesting. 

I have not really noticed that on NA servers. 

Is the population as high as release back in 2012? Nope. 

However, for world bosses; instances are constantly being filled. 

Meta events still have people doing them. 

Every time I hop into WvW i'm always finding small zergs or roamers to boop. 

As stated above by a couple. There are still content creators checking out the game and loving it. 

Most of the complaints come from a couple of areas. 

A) People in a situation like me who burn through all the content, have all the Legendaries and are just afking. 

B) People who's subscription to FF14 or WoW expired and they're mad that GW2 is not an exact carbon copy of those 2 games.

Give the game a shot though.  Base game is free (with restrictions). Expansions are bundled together so buy PoF if you want the full experience. Chances are, you'll get at least $30 of entertainment out of the game (cost to upgrade from free to both expansions). There is no subscription fee, so you don't have that "I have to play it now or i'm wasting money" feeling. Which is rather nice when you do suffer a burnout and need to take a small break. 

OP already owns the game, else he/she would not be posting on the forums.

@OP:  The game is not dead; you will find players, almost always, anywhere you go.

Also, all Living World Episodes will be given away at no charge in the coming weeks, so you can catch up at no cost.

1 hour ago, Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.294 said:

I came across a youtuber that was just checking out the game two or three weeks ago.  She seems to be completely taken by the game.  While I will not deny that Ice Brood Saga has...left much to be desired in several aspects, I don't think you can call it dead.  Especially not when you see new people come into the game and get completely blown away like that YouTuber I mentioned. 

For those that are curious, I was referring to "XanBlast Productions" on YT. 

Xandrii - streams daily from GW2 as a new player experience, cool streams - 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dondarrion.2748 said:

Really? Mass exodus? Apart from a few opinions and people raging, I'm not sure how many are leaving... they're all like "Yeah, I agree with you WP/etc. but then they see that those keep playing and after the disappointment of the story turn wears off, you look at the MMOs out there and realise GW2 is still one of the better ones. And you know an Xpac is on its way, new content, new player influx, new activity... is this the time to leave? Probably more like taking a short break.

But to answer the OP, no, the game is not dead, and there will be a lot of different activities and updates to the game throughout summer up until July 27th when we'll get the next "information dump" on End of Dragons xpac.

The game may not be dead, but ANet is going to have to really, and I mean really, do well with EoD if they don't want to lose a good chunk of its players when Sword of Legends, Elyon, New World and Lost Ark come out this year.

Personally I doubt that EoD will be much of anything, just more of the same from ANet. Likely just a repeat of what PoF was; added power creep, subpar story that ends far too soon, shallow content releases, etc.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, EQtheGOD.1504 said:

What do you think? Is GW2 dead? Thinking abouty seriously playing it in 2021.

The only place where low population seems problematic is PvP.  The matchmaking system struggles to place players within a narrow enough skill range to avoid frequent blowout matches and repeatedly encountering the same players in queue.  The top 250 is encompasses nearly all 3 tiers of platinum plus the legendary tier.

WvW seems active.  My server consistently has queues to enter in at least some of the maps every night and action is rarely hard to find, though you can still sneak around the borderlands at odd hours and PvE camps and such if you prefer to avoid most of the action.

PvE is loaded with players.  Map metas and world bosses get completed everywhere you look, fractal groups are easy to find, and while LFG isn't typically loaded with people for dungeons, you can usually list and get yourself a group within a few minutes.

There's also never been a better time to play with all of the living world DLC downloadable free this summer, starting May 25!  There's also the "End of Dragons" expansion on the way.  If GW2 is going to die, it won't be any time soon!

4 minutes ago, Wolfey.3407 said:

You're right, OP does own the game; however, it does not specify if it's a free account or a paid account.

We can both tell with the blessing of having eyes that they are a new account created less than a 2 hour ago. But thank you for your amazing hindsight Captain Obvious by sparing the couple of seconds to typing that out 🙂

It seems you are unaware that 'free' accounts can not post on the forums.

It requires a paid account. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, SexyMofo.8923 said:

Yes.  There was a mass exodus from the last living story.

Source: 

I'd love to see some evidence for this because everywhere I go I see people, even in older content.  Pop a tag and magically people appear to help.

I get that you don't like the last story. That's fair enough but to claim there's a mass exodus? The guys who left over this can form a bridge club...if they can find a fourth.

Well let's just put it this way. Anet better pray another mmo doesn't come out with good combat and adequate pve/pvp. It's combat is its strong point so it would be wonderful if they stopped kittening on it.

[Insert Camelot Unchained Joke]