Is GW2 dead

There seems to be a near constant stream of returning players coming back into the game. I myself began playing again about 5 or 6 months ago after stopping shortly after launch. I can only imagine that will intensify as the hype surrounding EoD's pending release increases.

In my experience, GW2 has a very active, helpful and friendly community.

• Like 2

There has been massive amounts if disappointment with Irritable Bowel Saga and its finale but even I wouldn't say it's translated an exodus of any size just yet, but if they bungle EoD I don't think anything would save this game from quickly going the way of so many discontinued MMOs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, EQtheGOD.1504 said:

What do you think? Is GW2 dead? Thinking abouty seriously playing it in 2021.

Not by a long shot. Covid actually brought a healthy influx of new players. Revenue sharply increased in 2020. EoD will make or break the game though.

Edited by Firebeard.1746
  • Like 1

Until the last elder dragon is dead, I wouldn't say GW2 is dead....unless they decide to retcon the death of the dragons

Spoiler

With that said though, if they were willing to kill off Primordus just like that in the last Living World episode, then I'm going to take a guess and say that the next expac will be the last one since there's only just Jormag and "Bubbles" left...probably they'll kill one in the expac and the other as the conclusion of the next LS.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Melech.4308 said:

Until the last elder dragon is dead, I wouldn't say GW2 is dead....unless they decide to retcon the death of the dragons

Hide contents

With that said though, if they were willing to kill off Primordus just like that in the last Living World episode, then I'm going to take a guess and say that the next expac will be the last one since there's only just Jormag and "Bubbles" left...probably they'll kill one in the expac and the other as the conclusion of the next LS.

The Devs have already said that the story will continue after all the Dragons are dealt with.  Expansions don't need Elder Dragons for a story.

• Like 2

With SAB finished, I'm back to the story and doing metas. Fell into a completed south meta for DWC. Not too many people on the map, so tagged up and put up an LFG for north (I also edit my LFGs so people can see what step we're at, like 3/5 bosses and can decide whether they want to join a map that is that far progressed). I don't know how many people were on the map, there were over 30 in squad, so I was still in LFG, but apparently people couldn't get in. There were other LFGs in that section, too. I think 5.

Have you tried reset Tequatl or reset leyline anomaly?

So yeah, dead game.

36 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

The Devs have already said that the story will continue after all the Dragons are dealt with.  Expansions don't need Elder Dragons for a story.

Did they? Can you link me please? I need to read that.

2 hours ago, Melech.4308 said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Jormag IS dead, it committed a murder suicide with Primordus when they gave each other the kiss of death.

The question "is X game dead?" is bound to elicit different, often intense emotions.

The simplest answer is... no, GW2 is far from dead, it still has a healthy population, especially in the open world, where megaserver technology makes up for sometimes fluctuating numbers. These fluctuations can become more obvious and jarring in PvP, and night-time WvW (for more obvious reasons), but overall, you'll find a lot of players.

That being said, the Icebrood Saga has been largely construed as a series of disappointing releases (especially the latter half of that mess). Recent content is often lacking or shallow, and even those who would liked to be hyped about the next expansion likely find information... wanting. The result seems to be a general souring of part of the playerbase, mostly players invested in the story. Does this translate to a mass exodus? Hard to say without solid data; but while we wait for more news and details on End of Dragons, I would not be surprised to see a number of seasoned players testing out new games or being less active.

Tl;dr the game isn't dead by any means, but it has alienated part of its veteran playerbase, which might cause a lull in its activity.

Edited by Dracyon Imperius.6309
typo

Definitely not dead. It can often seem dead because of the way you are matched to a particular server, and this needs to be fixed, but I have a common problem where a server is full and can't even join my friends. As a disclaimer I don't raid, it has no interest to me, but I regularly have little issue taking part in and finishing meta or world boss events except if the server is full. 

Having played WoW, although the story is way better, the gameplay and sheer amount of stuff to do in gw2 keeps me there. I have rarely seen a dead zone in the past year which is really nice. In WoW most zones are dead and the content is just wasted and depressing 😔

14 hours ago, EQtheGOD.1504 said:

What do you think? Is GW2 dead? Thinking abouty seriously playing it in 2021.

No but this forum and reddit community is pretty much dead. That can also mean that the people are playing the game instead of discussing about it. Too bad for me since i enjoy reading forum when im at break

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Justine.6351 said:

Spvp/wvw/dungeons/raids are effectively "dead". People still " play" them but its pretty shallow.

I'm playing on riverside and there are more then enough people to play with at any time of the day. So i call bs on this one.

BTW your server only matters for WvW. For everything else maps are shared between all servers in a region (NA or EU) so you could be playing with people from any/all the servers in the region. Also copies of maps are created (and deleted) as needed so the number of people in the map with you isn't necessarily all the people currently in that part of the world, or even all the ones from your server.

That's usually good because it means there will never be a queue to get into a map and your chances of ending up alone in an empty one are very low, but in certain situations it can be annoying. For example if you hear that a world boss is about to spawn and waypoint into the map you might end up in a newly created copy where there's only 10 people fighting the boss, even though there's another 300 players doing the same thing in other copies of the map.

To avoid that it's a good idea to arrive a few minutes early and/or use the LFG tool for big meta events and bosses. If you join a group through the LFG tool (or any other method) and they're in a different copy of the map you can right-click someone's icon in the party or squad menu and choose 'join in [map name]' to get into their version.

• Like 1

I would say that aside from PvP and WvW, which are still played but have been in a huge lack of support and attention from ANet in the last (at least) five years, the PvE is in a fantastic state, specially compared to the other "big cows" in the western MMO landscape:

People used to moan that GW2 lacked "end game", "raids", "trinity system" and "things to grind once your reached level 80". Now take a look at what we have:

* People is moving now towards having a full legendary wardrobe due the quality of life it provides; the gear progression is still horizontal, but the grinding required to go full legenday in GW2 is very, very large, and each legendary you unlock means that that piece will never be outdated in the future, no matter which new stat combinations will arrive.

* The amount of content a new player which arrives will have at his reach is huge: Personal Story, old dungeons, scalable fractals, raids, strike missions, Living World seasons, Hearth of Thorns, Path of Fire...  

* Hundreds of Mastery Points to unlock which provide valuable skills and the best mount system (7+ and counting!) in any MMO!

GW2 just trashes giants as WoW despite the difference in experience, founds and personal resources Blizard has. People used to celebrate that WoW and other monthly suscription based MMOs "granted a constant pace of content and support", but the reality have evolved and this last two years this is no loger the case: WoW now releases expansions full of time gated achievements and grindings, whit a lot of annoying low quality of life obstacles and revamps of systems which previously worked well. The goal seems to approach to the "asian style" MMOs in terms of monetization, moving just in the opposite direction as GW2 is evolving.

So now is WoW (and other western MMOs with monthly subscriptions) the one which has bad support, predatory monetization schemes aiming to exploit younger players, lack of balance and annoying gameplay designs aiming to put the quality of life mechanics behind paywalls. 

I predict that despite the poor ANet communication skills and low advertisement, and despite their neglect to PvP and WvW game modes, the game will be flooded with players from other western MMOs with the incoming EoD expansion and Steam release, and a lot of them will find that Guild Wars 2 not only has currently more and better content than the competition but is also way better in terms of making the things more comfy to players and rewarding their time with the game.

• Like 1

Guild wars 2 is not dead it is Undead, it has gathered enough mass to shamble on without marketing for years and when it gets a shiny new hat (Expansions) it shows that is has not decided to wither away. Same with all big MMOs they all have enough momentum to keep going, GW2 is not on the big tier MMO lists for nothing, it is there cause it has carved its niche .

Allot of people might be bored of the game since it has gotten stale for them which is natural. Other weird thing I found is that people saying this is dead and whatnot are usually part of that strange MMO tribalism going around to make their favourite game look better to the extent of spreading lies and misinformation.   

• Like 1

I don't believe so, in my oppinion. 

Although I haven't played in a while, I watch new videos all the time on youtube; and you can tell there are still a significant amount of players in GW2.

People sometimes take a break, then comeback.

Others can't play for some reason or another.

But why is this question asked so often?

As far as I'm concerned, even GW1 still has a good amount of active players.