I hope Asmongold will give End of Dragons a shot.

Generally the garbage that follows Asmon is literally bottom of the barrel. They started trolling other wow streamers with death and kitten threats at one point. His tone has deadened a little since, but I'm not confident his swarm of idiots has improved at all. We don't want them in this community, trust me. I wouldn't mind the game getting more popular I'm just scared of them ruining the parts where the community feels nice and inviting.

Also asmon has been playing almost exclusively vertical progression MMOs. It's a huge jump to getting yourself out of that mindset and into this game (and the devs don't make it easy either. There's really no excuse for not having more difficulty settings on a lot of our end game content, both ways (harder versions for some, easier for others), vertical progression MMOs mask player skill in a lot of ways and anet devs don't seem to care about trying to make all content fit for all users (or even users who would like to vary how intense their gameplay is from time to time)).

Also the loot system in this game is kind of insane. Most of the value you're given is in the form of massive amounts of raw materials and low level gear items that you don't initially understand the value of. It's not until you start caring about ascended items and higher that you start understanding the value. And I remember VENDING my gear. Yes vending. When i first started because I thought it wasn't that valuable and wouldn't sell on the AH. Karma wasn't useful to me until maybe a year ago when i finally maxed out my core tyria masteries. It takes a lot of work to start really getting money in this game in addition to just understanding the economy.

Gw2 is great, I just think that Asmon might not take the game well because of how difficult to learn it really is.

Edited by Firebeard.1746
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

There's a huge Final Fantasy hype because of him. I don't really like the guy, never watched his stream, but he seems to have a noticeable impact on the MMO scene.

I want GW2 to have 140,000 viewers on Twitch too. The game deserves it.

It’ll never happen as GW2 isn’t a game he would play nor enjoy. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

theres lots of google results about Asmongold Gw2 almost them in 2019 and negative stuff.. whats changed that we didnt know?

Looks like he might finally be warming up to us bois, its actually pretty huge because until how he's largely ignored gw2 on the premise of player population. If I were anyone in marketing I'd be looking to get his attention, because no matter how you cut it, him just talking about it like this will start moving numbers.

edit: looks like its official, he's coming bois on MMO Mondays https://youtu.be/wJs3dH_jyUM

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Like 1

I think Asmongold might like GW2 now, given how he now knows that a game must respect a player's time. GW2 is all about that respect for a player's time. Content doesn't expire often. You can play GW2 on the side. He wouldn't be able to hardcore raid, but he seems to acknowledge that casual players need content. He stopped raiding in WoW, from what I remember. I don't think he was in the mindset to play GW2 2 years ago, but he could be now.

That said, I don't know if he should stop playing Final Fantasy at this time. A lot of his viewership are probably enjoying it. Most importantly, he seems to be enjoying it. He's breaking the mold in the genre that has been dominated by WoW, as Final Fantasy appeals to that style of MMO player, which is really important in terms of competition in the market. A lot of reasons as to why now might not be the time.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

He likes to play games with endgame, that have progression, and class roles to name a few things.  The game is just too hyper casual for him to really get invested.  It also doesn't help that only living world gets the primary focus while other content just sits on the sidelines. 

Just watch his reactions and comments about the game.  They're the same reasons that so many left soon after the game launched.

Edited by Ayrilana.1396
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

He likes to play games with endgame, that have progression, and class roles to name a few things.  The game is just too hyper casual for him to really get invested.

Hyper casual? if all you do is overworld and wvw then yeah. But there are parts of this game a good majority of players have never touched because the content is hard. I used to think that way about endgame too when i played wow. coming here was like culture shock at first, then i realized there are hard core sections of this game too, and gear progression is getting to legendary from uncommon. It has zone scaling that people say he wont like, and maybe not, i didnt think i would either at first, but i like it now. And the hard content is hard enough that it still means you have to play well to beat it. plus wow feels slow combat wise to me now, GW2 has an amazing combat system i dont think players realize how lucky they are to have fast paced attack system with dodging. I tried final fantasy it wasnt my thing, the combat is too meh for me really, nothing special. 

Edited by Zuldari.3940
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

2 hours ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

There's a huge Final Fantasy hype because of him. I don't really like the guy, never watched his stream, but he seems to have a noticeable impact on the MMO scene.

Same here - never understand why people liked him or gave him any credence. But still, it would be a marketing win for GW2 to get his publicity.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

Hyper casual? if all you do is overworld and wvw then yeah. But there are parts of this game a good majority of players have never touched because the content is hard. I used to think that way about endgame too when i played wow. coming here was like culture shock at first, then i realized there are hard core sections of this game too,

Those are incredibly small areas of the game compared to how they are in other MMOs.  The challenging content in this game really isn't really being developed much.  It's been two years since we got a new raid and almost a year since the last fractal.  Before that fractal there had been a gap of 1.5 years and another gap of 1.5 years between that and the one before it.  Their primary focus is on open world/living story which is incredibly easy.

40 minutes ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

gear progression is getting to legendary from uncommon

Legendary isn't gear progression.  They have the same stats as ascended and the benefit you get from them is a skin and some QoL features.  If anything, they're strictly horizontal progression which is something that he doesn't care about.

43 minutes ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

And the hard content is hard enough that it still means you have to play well to beat it.

Yes and no.

44 minutes ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

GW2 has an amazing combat system i dont think players realize how lucky they are to have fast paced attack system with dodging

It is a good system but this will only get the game so far.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

54 minutes ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

Just watch his reactions and comments about the game.  They're the same reasons that so many left soon after the game launched.

His reaction is "GW2 reddit has 2k users active at this moment, there is no way this game is that popular, let's compare it with OSRS and WoW....... oh."

You can see the same chat that pisses GW2 laughing at his denial, not gonna argue the game is or isn't casual (I think it is unless you do pvp/wvw), but this seemed more like a case of a guy who spent so much time and money on WoW that can't even think on a replacement, regardless is said replacement is better or worse.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I don't get it ... why does anyone give a rats behind if someone specific plays the game? Marketing win for Anet? Not if Anet want to control their marketing content (which every company should want in the first place). 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

I like his content a lot but he's played the game. He's been very clear he finds the gameplay boring/laughably easy. He's said on more than one occasion that the only things this game does right are Jumping Puzzles and WvW.

I've lost count of the number of times I've heard him say "Guild Wars sucks".

The fact you would suggest this means you don't understand him and his content, or you don't understand this game.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Obtena.7952 said:

I don't get it ... why does anyone give a rats behind if someone specific plays the game? Marketing win for Anet? Not if Anet want to control their marketing content (which every company should want in the first place). 

Well Anet threw a lot of rats towards "streamers" a few years ago. (You know, back when they also tried to pitch GW2 as an E-sport...)
I don't get people following "streamers" or "social media influencers" either - But I do acknowledge it's a thing, and something that might be relevant when you are marketing a computer game.
I guess it would be fair to say that Anet is very good at controlling their marketing content: Being absent is a controlled choice.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, scrumsome.7198 said:

Well Anet threw a lot of rats towards "streamers" a few years ago. (You know, back when they also tried to pitch GW2 as an E-sport...)
I don't get people following "streamers" or "social media influencers" either - But I do acknowledge it's a thing, and something that might be relevant when you are marketing a computer game.
I guess it would be fair to say that Anet is very good at controlling their marketing content: Being absent is a controlled choice.

Probably wasted alot of effort and money doing so, considering this game was never designed to be an 'e-sport' in the first place. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1

GW2 doesn't have enough extravagant rewards from world bosses (except meh weapons) and metas have auras that have a drop rate worse than the worst of WoW. Good points for GW2.

Also GW2 is too position intensive with too few abilities to flood the screen. More good points for GW2.

This isn't Asmon's type of game. This game is sub par until the first expansion and he gave it a chance before the game could hit its stride.

EoD has to do something completely amazing to get another chance at the big time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

Hyper casual? if all you do is overworld and wvw then yeah. But there are parts of this game a good majority of players have never touched because the content is hard. I used to think that way about endgame too when i played wow. coming here was like culture shock at first, then i realized there are hard core sections of this game too, and gear progression is getting to legendary from uncommon. It has zone scaling that people say he wont like, and maybe not, i didnt think i would either at first, but i like it now. And the hard content is hard enough that it still means you have to play well to beat it. plus wow feels slow combat wise to me now, GW2 has an amazing combat system i dont think players realize how lucky they are to have fast paced attack system with dodging. I tried final fantasy it wasnt my thing, the combat is too meh for me really, nothing special. 

What endgame? Mario is the only piece of good content added in a long time. The "endgame" gets update once a year. There is nothing for Asmon to search for. And Anet explicitly made sure for GW2 to be hated and laughed at on twitch. Frog emotes are banned on their very own twitch channel. Why would Asmon endorse a game where culture he surrounds himself with is bannable? 😂 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

why does anyone give a rats behind if someone specific plays the game?

Because it works. The amount of exposure Final Fantasy got after this guy started playing it is pretty incredible.

The WoW forums are filled with "asmongold is right" and "I quit to play FFXIV" threads, with large amount of upvotes, and the game now gets quite a lot of viewers on Twitch - even when he's not streaming.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

Hard content? Are we playing the same game?

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

15 hours ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

He is a good match for FF XIV (because, honestly, both FF XIV and WoW appeal to a very similar playerbase). He (and the people that tend to watch him) however is not really a good match for GW2. What would likely happen is him trying G2 out (again, because i kind of remember he did it once before) and blasting it totally. Ending up with a net negative in PR for this game.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

The friend that bring me to GW2 was like "Asmongold", but my friend was tipical guy who ends becoming a "gold seller", instead of a audience exibiting his high end stuff, hes end selling his "top end stuff", he experimented Gw2 only for 1 week, and i make gw2 my home.
The lack of gear-grind pest these kind of ppl for good.