When can we get a playable Tengu Race? [Merged]

9 hours ago, killforbeers.7534 said:

Players have provided some vids and proof that this was the case in the 1st few pages of this trend. 

Accept no one actually did post any links or videos inn this thread to support the rumor that the Sylvari replaced the Tengu as a playable race.  I went back and double checked.  One person said they'd seen a video once that allegedly implied were the original fifth race but wasn't willing to try to dig it out.  No one else has even gone that far.  I followed GW2's development early on and as closely as someone not in the industry could, if the Tengu ever actually were intended as a playable race instead of the sylvari then they got rejected as early as the middle of 2007, before Eye Of The North was released and quite probably before development of GW2 had even really begun.

The Tengu as a prospective Sixth race that got abandoned is actually fairly common knowledge at this point, but not as one of the Five.

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Yeah, that meshes with what I heard/read as well - the GW2 CE art book points that out, but I haven't seen a reliable source for a claim that they were swapped with something else.

Although, in retrospect tengu would probably have been a better option than the Norn - who wouldn't really have lost much if they were just a type of humans akin to Krytans, Ascalonians, Elonians or Canthans - but in 2007 or earlier, it wasn't as obvious how they would end up. (Apart from their height, that whole "become the bear" thing was the main difference from humans... now it's practically a trivia question)

And so, we are where we are.

Edited by Sirius.4510
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Sirius.4510 said:

Yeah, that meshes with what I heard/read as well - the GW2 CE art book points that out, but I haven't seen a reliable source for a claim that they were swapped with something else.

Although, in retrospect tengu would probably have been a better option than the Norn - who wouldn't really have lost much if they were just a type of humans akin to Krytans, Ascalonians, Elonians or Canthans - but in 2007 or earlier, it wasn't as obvious how they would end up. (Apart from their height, that whole "become the bear" thing was the main difference from humans... now it's practically a trivia question)

And so, we are where we are.

Tengu instead of Norn?  Yuck, no.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

16 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Accept no one actually did post any links or videos inn this thread to support the rumor that the Sylvari replaced the Tengu as a playable race.

I have heard this many times before and it seems the Wiki remembers it too down in the trivia section. A lot of things got rolled over to GW2 at the end of GW1 (like Utopia, for example, and the Sylvari-like entities that were going to reside there). Tengu were seriously in the running at the beginning, but then focus got switched over to Sylvari who, at first, were going to look like terrifying Bratz dolls until being redesigned before the release of the game.

In summation, Tengu were just one of many things spitballed and then left out/changed around launch time.

Should we get them now? I'm not against the idea, but it also wouldn't excite me.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

I have heard this many times before and it seems the Wiki remembers it too down in the trivia section. A lot of things got rolled over to GW2 at the end of GW1 (like Utopia, for example, and the Sylvari-like entities that were going to reside there). Tengu were seriously in the running at the beginning, but then focus got switched over to Sylvari who, at first, were going to look like terrifying Bratz dolls until being redesigned before the release of the game.

In summation, Tengu were just one of many things spitballed and then left out/changed around launch time.

Should we get them now? I'm not against the idea, but it also wouldn't excite me.

Yeah, I remember that piece of art (and one or two others like it) I think there was speculation really early on because of it that the Sylvari were going to be all female like something out of a Korean MMO (probably something a "gaming journalist" came up with).

I happen to think a Tengu would provide some fun, potentially even stylish variety.  It's an arbitrary choice, yes.  So could lots of other things but that doesn't change my curiosity.

There are many things in the game that could or (for taste) might be done a little stronger, artistically or for completeness.  I go back and forth on when the game looks cool and when it feels a touch aging or weird.  That's just its distinct style by now in my book.  But largely being willing to play the game as it is, and noticing it has a pretty substantial following still (which is a happy thing)...  I think it's entirely reasonable for some of us to argue:  I would be thrilled with more selection in this basket of race goods regardless, even if the style of many things so far aren't always quite a 10/10 on my scale.   

It seems like a hard genre to find a 10 in never mind to please "everyone," okay?  But one or two more races that hit a 5 to 7 like the rest can manage for me aesthetically, let's say. , even with more limited features (maybe not everyone gets to be in every part of the story, yes fine make some set of armor fit like banded basically works on charr at least and lemme play this thing).

Skimming parts of the thread, I saw lots of claims that a new race would require drastic changes in previous story or endless world design changes.  I"m not so clear why any new thing that's introduced has to be a story piece or have every single feature others in its class have.  We have some existing races that don't have entirely unique animation sets, don't we?  If a new race has to upend the entire story, did adding skyscales cause some cataclysm in the nature of Queensdale?  Yes I know they're mounts and "originated" from Dragonfall timewise but logically wouldn't their capabilities have some massive disruptive impact on everything else ~ particularly after we quest through characters chasing them all over the world to get one?  Yet, they managed to add a new, useful thing to the game and the existing world didn't fall apart. And people seriously enjoy adopting them, to the point that they go through pretty extensive quest chains to get one.

This world is already full of strange, map by map timeline rules and exceptions anyway isn't it?  I don't quite see the anomaly in having one more; I'm already desensitized to that stuff.  Now if you just assume people are going to want everything to be the same as everything else of its class, I can see some possibility but I also see proponents here saying no that isn't actually required.

They've set expectations pretty low by not adding many races at all for so long.  Granted I will be happily surprised if they did it.  But I also feel race selection is one aspect of the game that grows a bit stale.  

Edited by XiraMint.3162
  • Like 3

Honestly, if they did add Tengu, they could just have them start out in Cantha at lvl 80 for the expansion itself. 

I don't understand why we can't just add a new race with a different starting point in expansions. The Tengu story won't quite add up with the main story, but it would be a different story altogether. Plus, we have the scrying pool so it could be something like relive the events as a Tengu prior to Pact's arrival in Cantha and the downfall of Balthazar. 

Side note: I haven't read the entire thread yet, but the above is my thought. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Hello Everyone!

Thank you for all these posts and even if they are merged still shows the topic of having or not having Tengu as a playable race or matter of fact having a new race is discussed. The thing is if a new playable race would be considered then the Tengu is on the top of the list.

The reason for my original post was made as I viewed one of WoodenPotatoes video many know his videos and his knowledge about GW1 and GW2.

I will not try to provide a summary of what the video is about as he does a very nice job I think in covering both sides of the argument and why for me and many others think its is a great idea to include Tengu as a new playable race.

I just hope ANET does not miss on this opportunity which I am confident they can make this possible or Anet (just ANET) to reply about this topic to the GW2 community and say if this is possible and on their radar or this is not possible and then we can finally move on.

Also in the next "live" conversation ANET has or at the WvW - keep asking them about this topic so they can provide some answer for us and so they can officially reply and not just let this keep going.

Anyway thank again for all your posts from both sides.

Edited by Carnibulos.9078
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, dragonkain.3984 said:

There are better games that let us create even cooler bird characters rly, so don't expect devs here to give us what we want, just switch to another game. Our ignorance is best answer to their ignorance and laziness.

That makes no sense. No question that Anet doesn't implement Tengu as a new race because they are lazy or ignorant. This is a business. If it doesn't make them money, they aren't going to do it, EVEN if they are the hardest working and most aware organization that ever existed. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

That makes no sense. No question that Anet doesn't implement Tengu as a new race because they are lazy or ignorant. This is a business. If it doesn't make them money, they aren't going to do it, EVEN if they are the hardest working and most aware organization that ever existed. 

Here we go again, the business thing like we are on wallstreet. Ok, it looks like in your opinion they could have relesed gw2 with only one race becouse the others dont matter from a business view, like in gw1. I tell you one thing , i play the game becouse i like it and i like the diversity of the races , but, just make it profitable and cut all that. If you want greatness you dont think with only a business in your head and i think anet already know that but not you. You just make business, so go and make business. And how do you know Anet are not releasing Tengu? What will you say if the do? I am still optimistic about that and i think its a missed oportunity if they dont. Ps. Sorry for my eng.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1