Swimsuits; The Gold Standard [Merged]

Swimsuit Poll!  

388 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Anet should add the Faren and Kasmeer swimwear outfits from Southsun?

• Yes.
    • Si.
    • Ja.
    • Sí.
    • No - Sike, just kidding, of course they should.

21 minutes ago, Gryphon.2875 said:

Precedent has been set, and it doesn't matter if you agree or not. Other people exist, and the world does not revolve around you.

Ah right, then:

The changing tents are already in the game and the current version of what they change your clothes into is clearly considered to be the equivalent of a swimsuit. It doesn't matter whether you agree or not, it is what it is. The world doesn't revolve around you.

But again, since the world doesn't revolve around me, despite of me not seeing the need for that, I did already go out of my way to look for a compromise where the chaging tents are added to fitting areas within limited zones around them. That way people wanting swimming suits for their holiday/beach activities have exactly that.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

21 hours ago, Gryphon.2875 said:

Hm, yes, so the assets for swimsuit outfits are already in the game, then.  Should be relatively simple to convert them to gem store assets.

Thanks for reminding me.

Yeah, make sure you check what you're commenting on though. And good job dodging the whole post when you realise you're wrong 🙂

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

While I actually do want swimsuits. I also want swimsuit armor parts because they would be simple looking fashion pieces. 

Far, far too many armors and outfits are covered in protrusions. Spikes, chains, frills, feathers, leaves, random belts, layered loincloths, so much visual noise.  Do my arm belts go with my leg spikes? At least the oldest armors were made with part swapping in mind.

Some dyeable, but relatively unadorned, pieces would be a helpful addition to the wardrobe. If we had bikini bottoms without a ball-gowns attached to the back, hot-pants that didn't have runic scrolls running down the legs, and bikini tops without neck braces attached, then there would be less outcry for swimsuits.

I mostly want the simple parts to dye and incorporate into my fashion.  Simple garments that won't clash with all the other over engineered pieces that Anet is so fond of creating.

Edit: I suppose I want staple garments.

Edited by Zebulous.2934
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

9 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

They should add swimsuits in the form of those 1920's era body suits. Give them an old timey retro look.

Gimme, gimme! I'm all for it. Or give me striped version of the Metal Legion t-shirt and a pair of decent looking (even on males) pants with matching stripes. To be extra demanding - give me long sleeved/legged and short sleeved/legged variants. No butt-capes, spikes, chokers and stuff like that and I'm a happy hag ☺️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

And since making new systems is on the table (recent implementation of jade bot/mini/skins being intertwined), maybe they can add an underwater outfit slot and lock the swimming suit to that slot so people change into swimming suits when they start swimming. Alternatively, make a breather skin that overrides the whole appearance (which in practice would have the same effect as adding "underwater-specific outfit").

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8

On 10/18/2022 at 3:03 PM, kharmin.7683 said:

Seeing how an armor set takes about 9 months to make, I'd definitely prefer those resources be spent elsewhere.

EDIT: not sure of your statement about it earning more money for Anet, though.  Where is your data that supports such a claim based on past experience with armor sets vs outfits?

let me guess. spend in "balance"?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

14 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

And since making new systems is on the table (recent implementation of jade bot/mini/skins being intertwined), maybe they can add an underwater outfit slot and lock the swimming suit to that slot so people change into swimming suits when they start swimming. Alternatively, make a breather skin that overrides the whole appearance (which in practice would have the same effect as adding "underwater-specific outfit").

Your solution is making whole new mechanic instead of releasing skin set/outfit that is already in game, but unused?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

Imagine if someone suggested an unisex maid outfit, all the people complains there would be lmao. But Maid outfit has been proven to be a success within the community despite barely anyone asking for it.

Now imagine how successful swimgears would be.

Edited by Wolfb.7025
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Wolfb.7025 said:

But Maid outfit has been proven to be a success within the community despite barely anyone asking for it.

Has it, though? Proven to be a success?  Where's your backing data for that statement?

I certainly haven't seen many players using these outfits.  Not sure by what metric they would be called a proven success.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

7 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Not sure by what metric they would be called a proven success.

I've seen more love for the outfits than hate across various GW2 forums and communities, seen the outfits themselves (both maid and butler) getting used widely in-game by both genders, and additionally seen lots of creative and high-effort art (commissions, but also free gifts to random players) as well as people doing Raid Maid runs and other community events with the outfits as the focal point. When something is embraced by both the RP and raid communities, that's usually a pretty good sign.

All in all, a noticeably large amount of people are either taking the new duds as serious fashion or are just having fun with them, and I'd say those are two pretty good metrics for something being popular. The general consensus among people I've talked to is 'this is the best thing they've added in a long time'. I imagine swimwear would see the same reception: Some goof, some fashion, all fun.

On 10/18/2022 at 5:42 PM, Zebulous.2934 said:

I suppose I want staple garments.

Man, yeah. This is actually why I'd really prefer armor pieces over outfits for this particular request. A pair of shorts and a simple tank top can go a long way when building a look. If we could get swimwear that also doubles as fashion staples, you'd be hitting a whole flock of birds with one stone. Everyone's so worried about men wearing bikini bottoms that they're forgetting about Skeletor. 💀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

I've seen more love for the outfits than hate across various GW2 forums and communities, seen the outfits themselves (both maid and butler) getting used widely in-game by both genders, and additionally seen lots of creative and high-effort art (commissions, but also free gifts to random players) as well as people doing Raid Maid runs and other community events with the outfits as the focal point. When something is embraced by both the RP and raid communities, that's usually a pretty good sign.

All in all, a noticeably large amount of people are either taking the new duds as serious fashion or are just having fun with them, and I'd say those are two pretty good metrics for something being popular. The general consensus among people I've talked to is 'this is the best thing they've added in a long time'. I imagine swimwear would see the same reception: Some goof, some fashion, all fun.

Wow, what a different experience from mine then.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

On 10/18/2022 at 10:26 AM, Sobx.1758 said:

No, it wouldn't. You're bringing up something you think is irrational to justify something similarly irrational and then claim "it would look more normal". But one irrational thing doesn't make another one any more rational than it really is, so no. And then it only gets better when you finish it up with

Swimsuit = something simple and accurate/rational to the function of anyone who wants to go underwater, sail, outmaneuver sharknados or do anything water related unburdened VS the medium female only armor that = a leather fetish/kink outfit fulla straps designed solely for the purpose of sexualizing the female body only. Do you really not see the difference between the two design styles? Some clothing is in fact more sexual than a casual swimsuit and what I linked is certainly a strong example of that. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

On 10/18/2022 at 9:40 PM, Serephen.3420 said:

The aesthetic of the game has been degraded so much already, do we really need to keep pushing it down further?

Swimsuits would be a return to form then.  The level 1 light armor is basically underwear with a frill on it.

It's the last 5 years where everything has to have spikes and buttcapes or be completely ridiculous like this maid outfit.

Edited by SinisterSlay.6973
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

On 10/20/2022 at 11:41 PM, Doggie.3184 said:

Swimsuit = something simple and accurate/rational to the function of anyone who wants to go underwater, sail, outmaneuver sharknados or do anything water related unburdened VS the medium female only armor that = a leather fetish/kink outfit fulla straps designed solely for the purpose of sexualizing the female body only. Do you really not see the difference between the two design styles? Some clothing is in fact more sexual than a casual swimsuit and what I linked is certainly a strong example of that. 

Which is why I'm fine with changing tents in relevant areas, but somehow people in this thread -including you as far as I remember- aren't so keen on that idea 🤔

It could be believable that's what you want, but you're refusing to have swimsuits in their fitting areas, so currently it's not.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 6

21 hours ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

Swimsuits would be a return to form then.  The level 1 light armor is basically underwear with a frill on it.

It's the last 5 years where everything has to have spikes and buttcapes or be completely ridiculous like this maid outfit.

I don't think I will ever understand the MMO style obsession with buttcapes. That and gigantic shoulder items that are not only defying gravity, they are actively telling it to get bent lol.

• Like 4
  • Confused 3