Swimsuits; The Gold Standard [Merged]

Swimsuit Poll!  

386 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Anet should add the Faren and Kasmeer swimwear outfits from Southsun?

• Yes.
    • Si.
    • Ja.
    • Sí.
    • No - Sike, just kidding, of course they should.

On 6/19/2023 at 2:10 PM, anninke.7469 said:

And it totally solves the "beach area" problem!

A small pile of sand isn't a beach, doesn't count 🤷‍♂️ 

14 hours ago, Min Min.9368 said:

A beach changing tent has been requested many times too.

Yup, that would be a better solution here

6 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

An invisible aquabreather skin that replaces our clothing with a swimsuit? 

That way it only shows up in water, even if just swimming on the surface.  Good for skiff socializing. 

This one makes sense too.

7 hours ago, Epsilon Indi.2031 said:

But then I have to reselect stats, runes, replace my infusions, and reapply dyes and skins. 😔

Get another equipment tab, call it "going to the beach!" and problem solved? 😄

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

On 6/19/2023 at 7:45 PM, Min Min.9368 said:

Idk, if ANet is not comfortable seeing half naked players killing bosses in OP

If the original light female armor wasn’t enough to demonstrate this isn’t true, savage scale and tattoo armor should make it clear.

There are definitely forum users who hate the idea, but ANet doesn’t.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 6/20/2023 at 5:25 PM, anninke.7469 said:

Of course it does. It's not just "a small pile of sand". It has palm trees. And a hammock. It's definitely a portable pocket beach. 🌴

Small pile of sand that has palm trees isn't what "beach" is though, so... still definitely not a portable pocket beach. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

On 6/21/2023 at 1:11 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

Small pile of sand that has palm trees isn't what "beach" is though, so... still definitely not a portable pocket beach. 🤷‍♂️

actually the last few chairs have been enormous.  I am not sure that I like carrying around my own biome.  A strip of sandy sunny shore might be fun, but if it is as large as the quite woods chair, I am not sure that I would like it.

• Confused 2

In my preference order :

1. An outdoor changing tent (for guild halls/non-combat zones)

2. Special dyes for undies only

3. An ACTUAL one-piece swimsuit or bikinis.

Please choose one ANet 😇

And your Gem Store will run out of gems in no time. kaching kaching kaching... 

Edited by Min Min.9368
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/21/2023 at 12:52 PM, Gibson.4036 said:

If the original light female armor wasn’t enough to demonstrate this isn’t true, savage scale and tattoo armor should make it clear.

There are definitely forum users who hate the idea, but ANet doesn’t.

They were certainly on board if it's female characters they been running around more than half naked since launch, and then there's ultra lewd armor like Raven pants (that look like a bad unfinished mspaint texture for males). It took 10 years for male stuff for most classes but mainly cuz it's unisex/multiclass armor. Which remains ironic since males in fighting sports compete half naked without a shirt on every day IRL. (plus the irony I've stated so many times about this being only MMO with underwater combat yet only MMO without swimsuits to let us actually dress for it)

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm I might speculate that Anet are saving swimwear as a distraction.  If they drop a really unpopular combat related patch.  "Don't be mad, look swimsuits!"

Except I am not sure that people who care about combat, skill rotations, alacrity, and quickness would be distracted by fashion.  At least not for long.

• Confused 2

19 minutes ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Hmm I might speculate that Anet are saving swimwear as a distraction.  If they drop a really unpopular combat related patch.  "Don't be mad, look swimsuits!"

Except I am not sure that people who care about combat, skill rotations, alacrity, and quickness would be distracted by fashion.  At least not for long.

If they had been holding back swimwear for emergency cases, there'd have been plenty of times for them to release these kinds of armour skins already.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

• 5 weeks later...

With the two scale and leather skins we got recently, there's no argument to be made anymore that swimwear would be too skimpy to implement into the game. In fact, lots of NPCs already have unique and unobtainable swimwear. Speedos, cool shorts, bikinis and more.
Every few months, there's atleast one upvoted thread on the frontpage of the GW2 subreddit asking for swimwear and they did indeed listen when it came to the rugged cape, hood or even the stylish "high heel" shoes.

• Like 11
  • Confused 4

The argument that it's too skimpy never made sense in a game where anyone can, at any time, strip their character down to their underwear (which in some cases already looks like swimwear). The diving googles and some areas (like the beach in Southsun) will even automatically hide your armour to use the underwear as swimwear.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

What would this accomplish outside of the current armor skin system? Seems pointless honestly. Are you wanting achievements to get while in your swimsuit? Are you asking for a swimming mechanic similar to how fishing got brought in? What is the value to adding swimsuits to a game where every armor skin can currently be called a swimsuit when we jump in the water???

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cernoch.8524 said:

if its as a novelty item then maybe....we dont need 100 mostly naked players doing meta.

Also atm I would just make sure game works, bugs are fixed, dx11 is fixed and focus on mechanics of new xpac. New skins at this point are more than pointless.

If you want it working you probably don't want the artists and 3D moddlers who design new skins attempting to fix bugs or program new mechanics.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

The argument that it's too skimpy never made sense in a game where anyone can, at any time, strip their character down to their underwear (which in some cases already looks like swimwear). The diving googles and some areas (like the beach in Southsun) will even automatically hide your armour to use the underwear as swimwear.

Exactly this ^

Southsun Cove and Ladyrinthine Cliffs (Four Winds) have outdoor changing cabana tents and it would be great if we could have them too in our Guild Halls or perhaps as a chair skin.

2 hours ago, Omega.6801 said:

I'd rather have resources spent on something else.

And what would that be? Btw how much resources are needed to make a skin again? 🤦‍♀️ Besides, looking at the requests over the years, they will be one of the best selling items in gemstore history. Guaranteed. No resources is considered wasted if they could bring in huge non stop revenues to ANet.

Edited by Min Min.9368
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3

31 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

If you want it working you probably don't want the artists and 3D moddlers who design new skins attempting to fix bugs or program new mechanics.

haha, that is actually true if you say it like that, my bad, but those artists can also work on fixing existing models and clipping for example. 

If any skins have had clipping issues fixed recently I would be interested to know which ones and what was adjusted.  It is the sort of thing I would like to read about in patch notes.  I am not sure they touch old skins and I don't know if I want them to.  If I logged in one day and found out that all of the butt-capes had been turned into full ballgowns, I would be annoyed.

• Confused 2