Swimsuits; The Gold Standard [Merged]

Swimsuit Poll!  

386 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Anet should add the Faren and Kasmeer swimwear outfits from Southsun?

• Yes.
    • Si.
    • Ja.
    • Sí.
    • No - Sike, just kidding, of course they should.

2 hours ago, Cernoch.8524 said:

if its as a novelty item then maybe....we dont need 100 mostly naked players doing meta.

So, swimsuits would make this happen, as opposed to the savage scale, tattoo, and the recent cingulum?

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I had thought that the lack of swimsuits was due to some government rating system.  As if swimsuits would somehow be the last straw and shift the game into the mature category, in some country somewhere.  At this point I can't really believe that. 
I would guess that it is someone's personal preference.  But I can't really believe that either because there is money to be made.
So confusing!

• Confused 3

10 hours ago, Omega.6801 said:

I'd rather have resources spent on something else.

I think this quote is the most lazy and useless reply that gets thrown around on this forum, but I can't that I disagree

I don't think it would take many resources though, but I personally don't want the game to turn in this direction

Light armor already have plenty of "sexy" armors, but it's no where near as bad as many other MMO's

Edited by jokke.6239
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Naked meta events have already happened, usually organised by guilds.

My favourite one I heard about was a Dragon's Stand run where everyone started naked and using white weapons and was only allowed to equip stuff which dropped during the meta. Apparently it not only made the fights more challenging because of the lower stats but added back some of the time pressure because you had to keep checking your inventory for stuff you could use (this was before unidentified gear was game-wide) and made what would otherwise be normal loot exciting - people were sharing in chat when they got a rare item and other people were congratulating them. Also at the end a bunch of people got together to compare the weird mis-matched stuff they ended up wearing.

I don't know why Anet hasn't added swimwear (beyond the default underwear). I don't think it would be any more difficult or time consuming than other armour skins or outfits (I certainly don't think it needs to introduce a whole load of new swimming mechanics) and I'm sure it'd sell. All I can think is one or more of the people who have final say on outfit and armour designs don't think it fits the game, or don't believe there is enough demand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, jokke.6239 said:

but I personally don't want the game to turn in this direction

Not an entire direction. Swimsuits wouldn't need to be a major plot point.  We aren't asking for a Southsun beach festival event.  A nice swimsuit without complicated tiny patterns.  No random bits of clutter or frills that just happen to form a long skirt.  Reasonable dye channels that coordinate between the top and the bottom.  We get the one nice swimsuit and we go back to fighting eldritch horrors in noneuclidian space.

• Like 5
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Not an entire direction. Swimsuits wouldn't need to be a major plot point.  We aren't asking for a Southsun beach festival event.  A nice swimsuit without complicated tiny patterns.  No random bits of clutter or frills that just happen to form a long skirt.  Reasonable dye channels that coordinate between the top and the bottom.  We get the one nice swimsuit and we go back to fighting eldritch horrors in noneuclidian space.

This is the way. And while we're at it, please finally implement housing. Furniture, decorations ... it's like Anet doesn't want money.

• Confused 4

15 hours ago, Vetkin.6041 said:

With the two scale and leather skins we got recently, there's no argument to be made anymore that swimwear would be too skimpy to implement into the game. In fact, lots of NPCs already have unique and unobtainable swimwear. Speedos, cool shorts, bikinis and more.
Every few months, there's atleast one upvoted thread on the frontpage of the GW2 subreddit asking for swimwear and they did indeed listen when it came to the rugged cape, hood or even the stylish "high heel" shoes.

my idea for years was remove aquatic breather exchange it for a outfit slot.  that way anet could have the justification for under water/ swimming outfits

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

20 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

The argument that it's too skimpy never made sense in a game where anyone can, at any time, strip their character down to their underwear (which in some cases already looks like swimwear). The diving googles and some areas (like the beach in Southsun) will even automatically hide your armour to use the underwear as swimwear.

That argument also wasn't somehow about simply being skimpy, instead it was about fitting context of where it's being used. Which is why I'm fine with four winds changing tents on the beaches. If they want to add changing tents and add some more customisation in the form of gemstore unlocks, where they'll be available in relevant beach-zones then I'm still k with it. 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, Balsa.3951 said:

my idea for years was remove aquatic breather exchange it for a outfit slot.  that way anet could have the justification for under water/ swimming outfits

...or this.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

That argument also wasn't somehow about simply being skimpy, instead it was about fitting context of where it's being used.

But what about dark clothing in hot areas like the Crystal Desert? Or heavy plate armour in moist areas or underwater?

These scenarios are possible, yet don't the armour doesn't fit the contexts. And these are just two examples.

I don't see why swimsuits should be the only clothing to be restricted to specific context. If nothing else is restricted (as it is now), there is no reason excuse to restrict swimsuits.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

But what about dark clothing in hot areas like the Crystal Desert? Or heavy plate armour in moist areas or underwater?

What about them? They expect getting into fights so they wear whateverarmour. It doesn't mean you need to suddenly change to an indegenous inhabitant whenever you change zone. Swimming suit is still a swimming suit.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

What about them? They expect getting into fights so they wear whateverarmour. It doesn't mean you need to suddenly change to an indegenous inhabitant whenever you change zone. Swimming suit is still a swimming suit.

Dark clothes will likely cook you alive in a hot region. Heavy metal armour will hinder your movement and rust in moist regions and sink you underwater. Thin cloth armour will cause you to freeze to death in snowy and icy regions.

So, if we want to restrict swimsuits in a fantasy game to appropriate locales, we also need to re-define where other clothing/armour care appropriate to be used.

A swimsuit would just be another skin, like literally every other piece of armour in the game. It needs to be treated equally. Either all of the skins get restricted, or none of them get restricted.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Dark clothes will likely cook you alive in a hot region.

You sure about that 

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2012/aug/19/most-improbable-scientific-research-abrahams

The results were clear. As the report puts it: "The amount of heat gained by a Bedouin exposed to the hot desert is the same whether he wears a black or a white robe. The additional heat absorbed by the black robe was lost before it reached the skin."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1