How would you all feel about a playable Orc Race? - Page 3 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

How would you all feel about a playable Orc Race?

13>

Comments

  • Sarrs.4831Sarrs.4831 Member ✭✭✭
    I dont want orcs in this game

    if i wanted to play orcs id play wow

  • Knighthonor.4061Knighthonor.4061 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Sarrs.4831 said:
    if i wanted to play orcs id play wow

    OK, and can't you say the same thing about Charr and just playing DnD or something? Not like Orcs are exclusive to WoW. Orcs in WoW were written to be Aliens from a different universe dimension, where as Orcs in Lord of the Rings are Elfs. Sylvari I would argue, especially based on the original concept art are Woodelfs by a different name.
    Like Mesmer and Mesmerizer are pretty much the same class archetype but with a different name found throughout the Fantasy RPG spectrum. Why is it OK for this in some things but not others?

  • would rather play one of the existing races rather than trying to introduce a new one and try to work it into Lore

  • Knighthonor.4061Knighthonor.4061 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Balthzar.3807 said:
    would rather play one of the existing races rather than trying to introduce a new one and try to work it into Lore

    Existing races like what? Most of the races I seen suggested so far at redskins of current races. Is that really what people want? A bird headed Charr? A Bear Headed Norn?
    Lay it out for me

  • Sarrs.4831Sarrs.4831 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2019
    I dont want orcs in this game

    @Knighthonor.4061 said:
    OK, and can't you say the same thing about Charr and just playing DnD or something?

    no
    1. dnd isn't an mmo; it's a ttrpg and you can do whatever you like in it. people actually have done up gw2 races for dnd
    2. i wouldnt ask for charr in another game; funnily enough, i wouldn't ask for them in wow because Mag'har Orcs basically are charr

    Existing races like what?

    humans, norn, sylvari, asura, charr
    there's already more than enough you can do with them and even then there are still 'races' of those races that we need more models of (like canthans)

  • Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

    @Hashberry.4510 said:

    @Linken.6345 said:

    @Hashberry.4510 said:

    @Thalimae.3406 said:
    Hard NO for me. I like that GW2 doesn't have the usual cliché fantasy races, save for humans obviously. But no elves, no orcs and they even got (mostly) rid of the dwarves with Eye of the North.

    This is pretty funny when the game is loaded with vampires and zombies =) .

    gw2 got vampires and zombies were?

    Orr is crawling with them.

    Vampires? Where in Orr? Under what name?

    I didn't read further down to check for answers to this, but the only vampires I can recall in game are in HoT

    What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

  • Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2019
    I dont want orcs in this game

    @Ashen.2907 said:
    Weird, my first exposure to dwarves and elves was norse mythology, not germanic.

    The Norse people are a Germanic ethnicities.

    @TheNecrosanct.4028 said:
    WoW Orcs might be aliens, but in other regards they pretty much live up to the Orc stereotype, all the way down to how they look and act.

    Is it really part of the Orc stereotype that they are one of the smartest races and that they build communities that go further than "the strongest one is the leader"?
    I always thought that the Orc stereotype was the dumb brutes that are incapable of anything but fighting, eating and breeding and that Warcraft distances itself a lot from that stereotype.

  • Hashberry.4510Hashberry.4510 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Thalimae.3406 said:

    @Hashberry.4510 said:

    @Thalimae.3406 said:
    Hard NO for me. I like that GW2 doesn't have the usual cliché fantasy races, save for humans obviously. But no elves, no orcs and they even got (mostly) rid of the dwarves with Eye of the North.

    This is pretty funny when the game is loaded with vampires and zombies =) .

    I'm not sure that they would be considered "the usual cliché fantasy races" in the scenario we are actually talking about but that's aside the point cause neither of these are playable races which is the point of this discussion after all. And as others have pointed out the comparison is rather flimsy to begin with when you count bat-monsters as "vampires". Yes, technically they are named that but that doesn't make them what people associate with the term in a fantasy setting. Heck, real life has literal "vampire bats" as well but that doesn't mean that vampires are real.

    I just get a chuckle at Anet trying to break the mold but including a huge cliche right from the start. Nothing wrong with any of it, the more fantasy spam the better I say. :)

  • Magnus Godrik.5841Magnus Godrik.5841 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind

    Anything would be good at this point. Elven midgets, catpeople or even a duck billed platypuss, anything new would be nice right about now.

  • MrForz.1953MrForz.1953 Member ✭✭✭
    I dont want orcs in this game

    @Obtena.7952 said:
    I would think "WTH did these orcs come from?"

    As long as we are adding races just to sell something, might as well add Ninjas, Terminators and Jedi while you are at it.

    And you've skipped the Elves completely? Unthinkable.

    Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Pirate - Jade Quarry

  • Jimbru.6014Jimbru.6014 Member ✭✭✭

    No. Just no.

  • Virdo.1540Virdo.1540 Member ✭✭✭
    I dont want orcs in this game

    IF a new playable Race, then Either Kodan,Quaggan,Tengu or Dwarfs

  • Dante.1508Dante.1508 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2019
    I wouldn't mind

    @Obtena.7952 said:
    I would think "WTH did these orcs come from?"

    As long as we are adding races just to sell something, might as well add Ninjas, Terminators and Jedi while you are at it.

    Cantha has Ninjas...

    @Knighthonor.4061 said:

    @Trevor Boyer.6524 said:
    I always liked & respected Guild Wars lore because it wasn't so Tolkien based..

    How so?
    Also how we defining "Tolkien based"?

    Stolen Mythology :D

  • @Knighthonor.4061 said:

    @Balthzar.3807 said:
    would rather play one of the existing races rather than trying to introduce a new one and try to work it into Lore

    Existing races like what? Most of the races I seen suggested so far at redskins of current races. Is that really what people want? A bird headed Charr? A Bear Headed Norn?
    Lay it out for me

    Tengu, Kodan off the top of my head

  • Vayne.8563Vayne.8563 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2019
    I dont want orcs in this game

    Anet creates a game with fewer fantasy tropes. Fans come and ask whether we should have more fantasy tropes. My answer is no. We don't need more fantasy tropes. Frankly I'm glad Anet killed off the dwarves in Guild Wars 1. There's too much derivative fantasy out there. People need to learn to think outside the box.

  • Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭
    I dont want orcs in this game

    @Dante.1508 said:
    Cantha has Ninjas...

    Assassins weren't Ninja.
    They made a living out of killing, while Ninja were soldiers to primarily 'acquired' information.
    Ninja were nothing like the fantasy tropes Senran Kagura or Naruto are trying to convey.
    And since their primary function included sitting silent and still in narrow attic for HOURS, they can't even compared to the jumpy Assassins from GW1 or GW2's Thief.

  • Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2019

    @Knighthonor.4061 said:

    @Sarrs.4831 said:
    if i wanted to play orcs id play wow

    OK, and can't you say the same thing about Charr and just playing DnD or something? Not like Orcs are exclusive to WoW. Orcs in WoW were written to be Aliens from a different universe dimension, where as Orcs in Lord of the Rings are Elfs. Sylvari I would argue, especially based on the original concept art are Woodelfs by a different name.

    Okay, but that brings us back to the original question people asked you: what you understand under the term "Orc", and how it is different from a few races that are already in the game (like Charr, Grawl or Ogres) and fill the same spot orcs usually do in other games.
    Because, like you said, the word "Orc" can mean many different things, so asking people whether they'd want orcs in the game is meaningless without mentioning first which orcs are you talking about.

    The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

  • Knighthonor.4061Knighthonor.4061 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @Knighthonor.4061 said:

    @Sarrs.4831 said:
    if i wanted to play orcs id play wow

    OK, and can't you say the same thing about Charr and just playing DnD or something? Not like Orcs are exclusive to WoW. Orcs in WoW were written to be Aliens from a different universe dimension, where as Orcs in Lord of the Rings are Elfs. Sylvari I would argue, especially based on the original concept art are Woodelfs by a different name.

    Okay, but that brings us back to the original question people asked you: what you understand under the term "Orc", and how it is different from a few races that are already in the game (like Charr, Grawl or Ogres) and fill the same spot orcs usually do in other games.
    Because, like you said, the word "Orc" can mean many different things, so asking people whether they'd want orcs in the game is meaningless without mentioning first which orcs are you talking about.

    I posted an example of what I would like for a orc.
    like the Warborn from Archeage
    Warborn_Transform.jpg

  • I dont want orcs in this game

    @Knighthonor.4061 said:

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @Knighthonor.4061 said:

    @Sarrs.4831 said:
    if i wanted to play orcs id play wow

    OK, and can't you say the same thing about Charr and just playing DnD or something? Not like Orcs are exclusive to WoW. Orcs in WoW were written to be Aliens from a different universe dimension, where as Orcs in Lord of the Rings are Elfs. Sylvari I would argue, especially based on the original concept art are Woodelfs by a different name.

    Okay, but that brings us back to the original question people asked you: what you understand under the term "Orc", and how it is different from a few races that are already in the game (like Charr, Grawl or Ogres) and fill the same spot orcs usually do in other games.
    Because, like you said, the word "Orc" can mean many different things, so asking people whether they'd want orcs in the game is meaningless without mentioning first which orcs are you talking about.

    I posted an example of what I would like for a orc.
    like the Warborn from Archeage
    Warborn_Transform.jpg

    This is hilarious!
    Astralporing: asks what Knighthonor understands the term "orc" to mean.
    Knighthonor: posts something that has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with orcs!

  • I dont want orcs in this game

    @Knighthonor.4061 said:

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @Knighthonor.4061 said:

    @Sarrs.4831 said:
    if i wanted to play orcs id play wow

    OK, and can't you say the same thing about Charr and just playing DnD or something? Not like Orcs are exclusive to WoW. Orcs in WoW were written to be Aliens from a different universe dimension, where as Orcs in Lord of the Rings are Elfs. Sylvari I would argue, especially based on the original concept art are Woodelfs by a different name.

    Okay, but that brings us back to the original question people asked you: what you understand under the term "Orc", and how it is different from a few races that are already in the game (like Charr, Grawl or Ogres) and fill the same spot orcs usually do in other games.
    Because, like you said, the word "Orc" can mean many different things, so asking people whether they'd want orcs in the game is meaningless without mentioning first which orcs are you talking about.

    I posted an example of what I would like for a orc.
    like the Warborn from Archeage
    Warborn_Transform.jpg

    These new race requests are funny. They ask for a new race then they show an example with the char so covered with armor that the race can’t be seen. Just play a tall human or Norn and wear bulky armor that covers everything and say you’re an Orc.

    Be careful what you ask for
    ANet might give it to you.

    Forum Guides: Images. Text

  • Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

    @Knighthonor.4061 said:

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @Knighthonor.4061 said:

    @Sarrs.4831 said:
    if i wanted to play orcs id play wow

    OK, and can't you say the same thing about Charr and just playing DnD or something? Not like Orcs are exclusive to WoW. Orcs in WoW were written to be Aliens from a different universe dimension, where as Orcs in Lord of the Rings are Elfs. Sylvari I would argue, especially based on the original concept art are Woodelfs by a different name.

    Okay, but that brings us back to the original question people asked you: what you understand under the term "Orc", and how it is different from a few races that are already in the game (like Charr, Grawl or Ogres) and fill the same spot orcs usually do in other games.
    Because, like you said, the word "Orc" can mean many different things, so asking people whether they'd want orcs in the game is meaningless without mentioning first which orcs are you talking about.

    I posted an example of what I would like for a orc.
    like the Warborn from Archeage
    Warborn_Transform.jpg

    These new race requests are funny. They ask for a new race then they show an example with the char so covered with armor that the race can’t be seen. Just play a tall human or Norn and wear bulky armor that covers everything and say you’re an Orc.

    Are you sure thats armor looks like their skin to me.

  • Knighthonor.4061Knighthonor.4061 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Tommo Chocolate.5870 said:

    @Knighthonor.4061 said:

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @Knighthonor.4061 said:

    @Sarrs.4831 said:
    if i wanted to play orcs id play wow

    OK, and can't you say the same thing about Charr and just playing DnD or something? Not like Orcs are exclusive to WoW. Orcs in WoW were written to be Aliens from a different universe dimension, where as Orcs in Lord of the Rings are Elfs. Sylvari I would argue, especially based on the original concept art are Woodelfs by a different name.

    Okay, but that brings us back to the original question people asked you: what you understand under the term "Orc", and how it is different from a few races that are already in the game (like Charr, Grawl or Ogres) and fill the same spot orcs usually do in other games.
    Because, like you said, the word "Orc" can mean many different things, so asking people whether they'd want orcs in the game is meaningless without mentioning first which orcs are you talking about.

    I posted an example of what I would like for a orc.
    like the Warborn from Archeage
    Warborn_Transform.jpg

    This is hilarious!
    Astralporing: asks what Knighthonor understands the term "orc" to mean.
    Knighthonor: posts something that has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with orcs!

    Well I did say orcs are different in different games. You all been the people here saying Orcs=Wow Orcs. I never said that, in fact I been saying orcs can be different in ways and similar in others. Seen some of them while playing Archeage, but they they on the opposite Faction from me. Something like that would be cool in GW2. Norn are big but human like compared to orcs.

  • I dont want orcs in this game

    @Linken.6345 said:

    @Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

    @Knighthonor.4061 said:

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @Knighthonor.4061 said:

    @Sarrs.4831 said:
    if i wanted to play orcs id play wow

    OK, and can't you say the same thing about Charr and just playing DnD or something? Not like Orcs are exclusive to WoW. Orcs in WoW were written to be Aliens from a different universe dimension, where as Orcs in Lord of the Rings are Elfs. Sylvari I would argue, especially based on the original concept art are Woodelfs by a different name.

    Okay, but that brings us back to the original question people asked you: what you understand under the term "Orc", and how it is different from a few races that are already in the game (like Charr, Grawl or Ogres) and fill the same spot orcs usually do in other games.
    Because, like you said, the word "Orc" can mean many different things, so asking people whether they'd want orcs in the game is meaningless without mentioning first which orcs are you talking about.

    I posted an example of what I would like for a orc.
    like the Warborn from Archeage
    Warborn_Transform.jpg

    These new race requests are funny. They ask for a new race then they show an example with the char so covered with armor that the race can’t be seen. Just play a tall human or Norn and wear bulky armor that covers everything and say you’re an Orc.

    Are you sure thats armor looks like their skin to me.

    I googled them and that’s armor. From what I could see they’re basically humans with horns and with the male face slightly modified. Definitely nothing like an Orc.

    https://www.ign.com/wikis/archeage/Warborn

    Be careful what you ask for
    ANet might give it to you.

    Forum Guides: Images. Text

  • Dante.1508Dante.1508 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2019
    I wouldn't mind

    @Fueki.4753 said:

    @Dante.1508 said:
    Cantha has Ninjas...

    Assassins weren't Ninja.
    They made a living out of killing, while Ninja were soldiers to primarily 'acquired' information.
    Ninja were nothing like the fantasy tropes Senran Kagura or Naruto are trying to convey.
    And since their primary function included sitting silent and still in narrow attic for HOURS, they can't even compared to the jumpy Assassins from GW1 or GW2's Thief.

    Yes they were, they were even dressed as ninja.. News flash Ninja are Assassins.

    I did real life Togakure-ryū Ninjutsu for years they were 100% assassins

  • Tukaram.8256Tukaram.8256 Member ✭✭✭
    I dont want orcs in this game

    @MrForz.1953 said:

    @Obtena.7952 said:
    I would think "WTH did these orcs come from?"

    As long as we are adding races just to sell something, might as well add Ninjas, Terminators and Jedi while you are at it.

    And you've skipped the Elves completely? Unthinkable.

    Sylvari are pretty much elves...
    As for orcs, I would rather see the critters that are actually in our game be used first. It would be a graphic nightmare, but I would love to play a centaur ha ha I know it will never happen, but at least they already exist in the GW world.

  • Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2019

    @Knighthonor.4061 said:

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @Knighthonor.4061 said:

    @Sarrs.4831 said:
    if i wanted to play orcs id play wow

    OK, and can't you say the same thing about Charr and just playing DnD or something? Not like Orcs are exclusive to WoW. Orcs in WoW were written to be Aliens from a different universe dimension, where as Orcs in Lord of the Rings are Elfs. Sylvari I would argue, especially based on the original concept art are Woodelfs by a different name.

    Okay, but that brings us back to the original question people asked you: what you understand under the term "Orc", and how it is different from a few races that are already in the game (like Charr, Grawl or Ogres) and fill the same spot orcs usually do in other games.
    Because, like you said, the word "Orc" can mean many different things, so asking people whether they'd want orcs in the game is meaningless without mentioning first which orcs are you talking about.

    I posted an example of what I would like for a orc.
    like the Warborn from Archeage
    Warborn_Transform.jpg

    So, you basically want horned humans. Why didn't you say so?
    (hint: that doesn't require adding a new race - what you really want seems to be a set of armor with a certain specific visuals)
    Also, if you consider Warborn to be Orcs, then you have to consider Charr and Grawl to be Orcs as well. In this case, GW2 has not one, but two Orc races already.

    The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

  • Knighthonor.4061Knighthonor.4061 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @drunkenpilot.9837 said:

    @Knighthonor.4061 said:

    @Tommo Chocolate.5870 said:

    @Knighthonor.4061 said:

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @Knighthonor.4061 said:

    @Sarrs.4831 said:
    if i wanted to play orcs id play wow

    OK, and can't you say the same thing about Charr and just playing DnD or something? Not like Orcs are exclusive to WoW. Orcs in WoW were written to be Aliens from a different universe dimension, where as Orcs in Lord of the Rings are Elfs. Sylvari I would argue, especially based on the original concept art are Woodelfs by a different name.

    Okay, but that brings us back to the original question people asked you: what you understand under the term "Orc", and how it is different from a few races that are already in the game (like Charr, Grawl or Ogres) and fill the same spot orcs usually do in other games.
    Because, like you said, the word "Orc" can mean many different things, so asking people whether they'd want orcs in the game is meaningless without mentioning first which orcs are you talking about.

    I posted an example of what I would like for a orc.
    like the Warborn from Archeage
    Warborn_Transform.jpg

    This is hilarious!
    Astralporing: asks what Knighthonor understands the term "orc" to mean.
    Knighthonor: posts something that has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with orcs!

    Well I did say orcs are different in different games. You all been the people here saying Orcs=Wow Orcs. I never said that, in fact I been saying orcs can be different in ways and similar in others. Seen some of them while playing Archeage, but they they on the opposite Faction from me. Something like that would be cool in GW2. Norn are big but human like compared to orcs.

    So why didn't you just say you wanted a different, unique race added to GW2 rather than focus your entire discussion on orcs? It's a little disingenuous to say you want orcs added to the game and then when confronted about it you backpedal to say that you didn't mean those orcs, you just meant any kind of race that looks different to what's already in game.

    In case you are still confused, orcs are extremely well established as a single type of creature across almost all fantasy realms, and they are almost universally based on the species Tolkien created. Wiki quote:

    In popular culture (including fantasy fiction and games), orcs are variously portrayed but tend towards the descriptions originally set down by Tolkien. They are of approximately human shape (with bowed legs and long arms) and of varying size. Orcs are generally ugly and filthy, with prominent fangs and facial features tending toward the grotesque (generally a mixture of the ape-like and pig-like). Their skin is typically a shade of green, grey, black, brown, or sometimes red or sandy tan (Tolkien, in contrast, described some as "sallow", some as "black"—not necessarily a reference to skin colour—and one as "black-skinned"

    I challenge you to do an image search for "Orcs" and find something that breaks this paradigm.

    https://aminoapps.com/c/sanketsu-world/page/blog/raca-orcs/Paok_nEFmuDwoYD1EMklE3GGbx5koDWbP8

    Yes I want this in GW2

  • Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭
    I dont want orcs in this game

    Also, if you consider Warborn to be Orcs, then you have to consider Charr and Grawl to be Orcs as well. In this case, GW2 has not one, but two Orc races already.

    Aren't you forgetting the 'red Orcs', the Ogres?
    Or the 'blue/grey orcs', the Jötun?

  • Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Sarrs.4831 said:

    @Knighthonor.4061 said:
    Yes I want this in GW2

    That's literally a Warcraft orc! lol
    You can't go on about wanting a unique interpretation of orcs and then take literal warcraft orcs and say you want them in GW2!

    • it have nothing in common with what s/he wanted before, that was horned headed human.
  • Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭
    I dont want orcs in this game

    @Linken.6345 said:

    • it have nothing in common with what s/he wanted before, that was horned headed human.

    Warcraft Orcs are prettier, greener and more thick/thicc humans and they have fangs.
    If you equal fangs with horns, it's pretty much what they want.

  • ugrakarma.9416ugrakarma.9416 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I dont want orcs in this game

    @Vayne.8563 said:
    Anet creates a game with fewer fantasy tropes. Fans come and ask whether we should have more fantasy tropes. My answer is no. We don't need more fantasy tropes. Frankly I'm glad Anet killed off the dwarves in Guild Wars 1. There's too much derivative fantasy out there. People need to learn to think outside the box.

    agreed, dont had the fantasy tropes clichés is the one of strogest points of gw2, the only fantasy game where im interested in lore.

    i played neverwinter(from pwe) 1~2 years, nothing interested me, they had orcs, elfs, all possible clichés.

    Charr are much more creative and fascinating than Orcs. the warcraft Orcs lore is poor and childsh.

    main pvp: Khel the Undead(power reaper).

  • Knighthonor.4061Knighthonor.4061 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @ugrakarma.9416 said:

    @Vayne.8563 said:
    Anet creates a game with fewer fantasy tropes. Fans come and ask whether we should have more fantasy tropes. My answer is no. We don't need more fantasy tropes. Frankly I'm glad Anet killed off the dwarves in Guild Wars 1. There's too much derivative fantasy out there. People need to learn to think outside the box.

    agreed, dont had the fantasy tropes clichés is the one of strogest points of gw2, the only fantasy game where im interested in lore.

    i played neverwinter(from pwe) 1~2 years, nothing interested me, they had orcs, elfs, all possible clichés.

    Charr are much more creative and fascinating than Orcs. the warcraft Orcs lore is poor and childsh.

    Again tired of this argument. Since just about everything in GW2 can be traced back to DnD in some ways or some form of mythology like DnD gets it from. GW2 isn't somehow suddenly out the spectrum of the fantasy RPG realm just because it uses different names on things.

  • Obtena.7952Obtena.7952 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2019
    I dont want orcs in this game

    @Sarrs.4831 said:

    @Knighthonor.4061 said:
    Yes I want this in GW2

    That's literally a Warcraft orc! lol
    You can't go on about wanting a unique interpretation of orcs and then take literal warcraft orcs and say you want them in GW2!

    I love how the OP just flips their view to continue a 'discussion'.

    Clearly, people don't want 'orcs' of any form in this game is undesirable. There are so many opportunities to NOT appeal to the cliche that I see absolutely no reason for anyone to want it, including Anet. The data shows that, the game shows it.

    If you think balancing is only driven by performance and justified by comparisons to other classes then prepare to be educated:

    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/balance-updates-the-heralds-near-future-and-pvp-league-season-13/

  • I dont want orcs in this game

    Bring the Polar bears! That would be awesome

  • Vayne.8563Vayne.8563 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I dont want orcs in this game

    @Knighthonor.4061 said:

    @ugrakarma.9416 said:

    @Vayne.8563 said:
    Anet creates a game with fewer fantasy tropes. Fans come and ask whether we should have more fantasy tropes. My answer is no. We don't need more fantasy tropes. Frankly I'm glad Anet killed off the dwarves in Guild Wars 1. There's too much derivative fantasy out there. People need to learn to think outside the box.

    agreed, dont had the fantasy tropes clichés is the one of strogest points of gw2, the only fantasy game where im interested in lore.

    i played neverwinter(from pwe) 1~2 years, nothing interested me, they had orcs, elfs, all possible clichés.

    Charr are much more creative and fascinating than Orcs. the warcraft Orcs lore is poor and childsh.

    Again tired of this argument. Since just about everything in GW2 can be traced back to DnD in some ways or some form of mythology like DnD gets it from. GW2 isn't somehow suddenly out the spectrum of the fantasy RPG realm just because it uses different names on things.

    There is a difference between something that exists somewhere and a trope. It's not the same thing. Saying that they're the same thing shows you're not really getting my argument.

    I play fantasy to escape into a fantasy world. If all fantasy worlds are the same (elves, dwarves, orcs), then it's not really a new world for me. It's derivative.

    A good portion, virtually all, of Shakespeare's works were written with words other people used. He put those words together in ways that other authors didn't. Guild Wars 2 didn't bow to the tropes that most fantasy MMOs have stuck with and that resonated for a lot of people.

    Virtually everything in this game can be found somewhere, but no one has put together these threads in the way this game has. There's no excuse, in my opinion, to take something that everyone else uses and throw it in here. Nor have you given any reason why it should be done. Maybe the only reason is I like orcs. To me, that's not enough reason. I like Orcs too.

    I like them in Lord of the Rings and D&D. I don't like them in other places though.

  • ugrakarma.9416ugrakarma.9416 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I dont want orcs in this game

    @Obtena.7952 said:
    Clearly, people don't want 'orcs' of any form in this game is undesirable. There are so many opportunities to NOT appeal to the cliche that I see absolutely no reason for anyone to want it, including Anet. The data shows that, the game shows it.

    yeah,
    Charr is better than Orcs
    Norms is better than Elfs
    Asura is better than Dwarfs
    Krytan, Elonian Humans is better than anything else related to human lore in other fantasy stuff.

    In future, probably there will games, novels or fantasy stuff borrowing from Gw2.

    main pvp: Khel the Undead(power reaper).

  • I dont want orcs in this game

    @Fueki.4753 said:

    @Linken.6345 said:

    • it have nothing in common with what s/he wanted before, that was horned headed human.

    Warcraft Orcs are prettier, greener and more thick/thicc humans and they have fangs.

    WarCraft orcs are prettier than humans?! There's no accounting for taste, I suppose...

    If you equal fangs with horns, it's pretty much what they want.

    If you equate fangs with horns, you're going to have a hard time holding a coherent conversation about fantasy creature design - or about animals in general, for that matter.

  • Ok, I see there's no interest for Gelatinous Cubes. What about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.