For those that played the Beta Rev. Which Expec feel the nicest ?

Dawanarth.4601

1 Herald

2 Renegade still not my niche but works well

3 - 

4 -

5 -

6 -

8 vindicator, felt overdesigned since Anet wanted to make a legend inside a lenged w/o legend swaping

4 hours ago, Lonewolf Kai.3682 said:

I actually liked Vindicator best so far.  But I do hope it gets some positive  number tweaks.

M8 need quite some..... felt that in combat ur forced to cast some skills even if u dont need them to make the skills back to the skill u want... example players with high pwoer builds wont get nothing from vitor skills... and they are forced to use them or f2 back to victor skills... this design felt really bad... legends should help each other when player wanted like  selec wich combat styule one needs for the moment.

And that elite Victor skill.... that doesnt  allow u heal :|  sacrifice for weakl heals... heals less than herald shield 4...

Edited by Aeolus.3615
  • Like 2

Renegade was straight up trash in PvP/WvW in the beta. They also had some questionable design decisions, like the stunbreak being on the heal IIRC. Didn't play during any of the HoT betas so I can't tell you.

Vindicator is messy and needs work, but I still largely prefer it to beta Renegade. There are certain design philosophies that really made me lose faith in ANet's approach to balance, such as allowing for permanent 10-man Alacrity with the press of 1 button. Shortbow is fun to play now (mostly because its braindead easy in WvW), but Renegade was a major low point for me as a Rev main. I have more faith in what Vindicator can be after they spend more time on it.

But hey, this is all just my opinion. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Aeolus.3615 said:

1 Herald

2 Renegade still not my niche but works well

3 - 

4 -

5 -

6 -

8 vindicator, felt overdesigned since Anet wanted to make a legend inside a lenged w/o legend swaping

M8 need quite some..... felt that in combat ur forced to cast some skills even if u dont need them to make the skills back to the skill u want... example players with high pwoer builds wont get nothing from vitor skills... and they are forced to use them or f2 back to victor skills... this design felt really bad... legends should help each other when player wanted like  selec wich combat styule one needs for the moment.

And that elite Victor skill.... that doesnt  allow u heal 😐 sacrifice for weakl heals... heals less than herald shield 4...

I dunno.  I got used to the fact that I needed to use a skill to flip over a different one and began to like it.  You still get the benefit of the Saint skills.  Yes, I didn’t like it at first, but it quickly grew on me.  I also mostly played in WvW so that might’ve made the difference.

i do completely agree with that elite skill being bad though. I absolutely hated the urn.  I can’t tell you how many times I died from it, not my enemies, but the skill because I got stun locked while trying to help my allies out with it.

• Like 1

Renegade sb3 only recently became viable in competitive formats. That said I only run hammer sword sword in wvw because I need that 1200 range pretty often. When I played vindicator I quickly decided that I will have to have 2 wvw builds for it, one with gs/hammer and one with gs/swords depending on the situation. Unless they add some hard cc or some kind of aoe dps upkeep skill I can't see running alliance over shiro or dwarf except maybe in small scale pvp or roaming. However the one great thing about vindicator was that gs5 in wvw, it's so very tasty.

• Like 1

1. Herald

2. Vindicator Blue Stance (purely for support)

3.Renegade

-

-

-

bottom of the barrel. Vindicator Red Stance (Any other builds)

During first weeks when rev beta came out the only thing they were good at is parking then next to nodes next time you log into a rev. Using Shiro Stance and being an open world gatherer. Impossible odds speeds up the gathering animation + superspeed buff to run towards the next gathering nodes from flax farming to cutting woods + mining wherever you park it next to these nodes. 

Herald could've been better good utility class near equivalent to how healbrand pumps out boons however during their state of gameplay they are below BS warriors because warriors can pump might/fury + banners. Even chronomancers can cover all the boons with inspiration signet + disortion + wells for alacrity. We could've had more Function skills (F3-F4) to be more utilized instead of being bottlenecked to give unique boon stances depending on whichever stance we locked in during combat. Rev were also in a bad juxtaposition in how much energy cost on skills. 

Renegade had the same issues again as the first beta, underperforming but worse. They had terrain issues with both missiles + renegade spirits attacking mobs on land slope terrains half the time they just dont hit at all. Also you perform better even using renegades as you elite spec, you don't bring either the short bow or the elite stance to perform good amount of DPS to the table to be in a good raiding / party spot for Fractals. Ventari+Kalla healing build was a blast before they nerfed alacrity away from tablet skill.

Vindicators in the beta state is just rushed out it may be half optimized in favor for another shameless support once again over dps. The way they released vindicators it's in a worse gameplay state than herald flipping signet nodes from active passive stance to activated ability. DPS builds once again nowhere near existence to be optimal to play in high-level end-game while. You do not have good viable options inside the talent tree that's dps oriented except the dodge mechanic which is forcing you to be shot in the air and asking to be downstated if you high in the sky for too long or dodged too early.

Revenants are suffering deep inhaling heavy doses of Copium, we just have to wait and see if history repeats itself either roughly 4 weeks after EoD release for another patch to buff their utility or wait months into the next Living Story map for a good stat released to be viable to play with in end-game raiding/dungeon.

Edited by Kazeshini.8210
last paragraph scuffed edit
  • Like 1

Herald felt the best out of the 3 during its beta.  There weren't really any problems with it as far as I remember and it wasn't extremely undertuned compared to other classes like it is now

Renegade felt like literal kitten, especially in pvp/wvw, and Shortbow also had considerably less damage and was harder to use.  Definitely horrible during beta.  Stunbreak on Heal was also incredibly dumb.  Also the animations for the spirits were super kitten until they redid them

Vindicator's GS feels better than Renegade's Shortbow during its beta, however, the traits and utility skills are a mess/undertuned.  I think it feels about as bad as Ren did during its beta, if not worse

Edited by LucianTheAngelic.7054
  • Like 3

From a PvP main

Herald is the best all arounder. 

However, I'm really excited for the Vindicator because I feel it has great potential if the devs improve on it. It's fun to play and who doesn't love an epic greatsword on the revenant?? 

Coming from an OG Guild Wars player I have to give it bonus points for the factions flavour! 

• Like 3

Talking about WvW/PvP:

Herald is fun to play, I really like the facets and the flow with either Shiro or Jalis. Is hard, but still very enjoyable to play. My favorite.

Renegade with power build is easy mode. Shortbow is buggy but still strong, so much hybrid damage, and the ranged combat + Retribution line + Jalis stability/healing make it very comfortable to play.

Core is something I haven't tried enough to judge, is some middle ground between Herald and Renegade. Sometimes feels weaker than both of them, but still works.

Vindicator... I like the Greatsword set but I'm not so sure about the rest of the skills, didn't play it enough. The Viktor skills feel really underwhelming while the traits have no multiplicative damage, is everything about the dodge.

For now my favorite remains Herald.

• Like 2

In terms of feel? (How much *I* enjoy playing them) Herald, vindicator, renegade.

Effectiveness in end-game content? (How much I'll probably be playing them) Renegade, herald, vindicator.

In pvp? Herald, vindicator, renegade.

Herald is ma baby.

Renegade stronk.

Vindicator cool but pretty undertuned 

• Like 1

Herald felt the best at his release and is still capable in several game modes. Still my fav.

Renegade felt like crap at the release and for long time; after the buffs is viable in PvP/WvW and dominant in PvE, but I won't touch Kalla with a 3m pole, no matter how good the dps is.

Vindicator feels much better than Renegade but not as well rounded as Herald or even core. The legend is useless and as happens with Renegade I'll probably play it with Shiro + Jalis forever, but at least the traitline and weapon could give me some use from the start.

Anyway: is a pure physical damage spec, so unless the skills get powerful buffs, will never be able to compete with condi in PvE.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I didnt played herald or renegade in betas but right after release, and i have to say Herald is still best for me.

Ren have better numbers and range is just big big plus. But legend is kitten.

Im afraid that Vindi will get Renegade treatment, aka few years to get viable outside one box. We will see

• Like 1

Herald, easily for me. You can easily switch your focus from dps to off-support/healer by changing your upkeeps. I just plain love the consumes.

Renegade is fun, not what I wanted but it works very well at what it does. It's just not for me and that's fine. Not everything will be.

Vindicator is just plain bad. Boring for one thing. It's a lot of reused animations and bad copies of other classes better skills. Too much time is spent checking the UI, which doesn't help. The flip skills make it feel like the worst possible version of herald. One which was already scrapped before the HoT beta but has been used now because they didn't know what else to do. The flips are like facets but have an active effect instead of a pulsing passive, except they immediately go on cooldown preventing you from getting immediately to the consume skill.
It's complexity for complexities sake. It adds nothing to the game play which doesn't already exist, it just makes it more inconvenient and clunky to use. Heck we already have legend swaps on F1 & F2. The Alliance Legend is just a worse version of this mechanic. Alliance just adds a 3rd legend over which you get no choice but the payoff for this is that it gets mangled with your F2 Legend in a clunky to use mess.

Greatsword just sucked. Again, it's abilities are just worse versions of other classes better weapons. The 4 is the worst retaliatory block in the game, easily, because it scales with numbers of hits instead of actual damage. The retaliation attack, when a powerful boss that hits the shield once, will give weaker damage than when 5 trash mobs hit you with auto attacks. It actually gets weaker against harder content! The 5 could be good, if there was any way to bunch up enemies, which it lacks. It basically forces you to take x/axe on your second set to clump up your enemies first for the GS5 to be any use at all.

And that's just the beginning of the problems with Vin!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, wolfyrik.2017 said:

Herald, easily for me. You can easily switch your focus from dps to off-support/healer by changing your upkeeps. I just plain love the consumes.

Renegade is fun, not what I wanted but it works very well at what it does. It's just not for me and that's fine. Not everything will be.

Vindicator is just plain bad. Boring for one thing. It's a lot of reused animations and bad copies of other classes better skills. Too much time is spent checking the UI, which doesn't help. The flip skills make it feel like the worst possible version of herald. One which was already scrapped before the HoT beta but has been used now because they didn't know what else to do. The flips are like facets but have an active effect instead of a pulsing passive, except they immediately go on cooldown preventing you from getting immediately to the consume skill.
It's complexity for complexities sake. It adds nothing to the game play which doesn't already exist, it just makes it more inconvenient and clunky to use. Heck we already have legend swaps on F1 & F2. The Alliance Legend is just a worse version of this mechanic. Alliance just adds a 3rd legend over which you get no choice but the payoff for this is that it gets mangled with your F2 Legend in a clunky to use mess.

Greatsword just sucked. Again, it's abilities are just worse versions of other classes better weapons. The 4 is the worst retaliatory block in the game, easily, because it scales with numbers of hits instead of actual damage. The retaliation attack, when a powerful boss that hits the shield once, will give weaker damage than when 5 trash mobs hit you with auto attacks. It actually gets weaker against harder content! The 5 could be good, if there was any way to bunch up enemies, which it lacks. It basically forces you to take x/axe on your second set to clump up your enemies first for the GS5 to be any use at all.

And that's just the beginning of the problems with Vin!

I can’t quite get on board with most of your post, but you did bring up a good point about GS4 with regards to PvE, in particular boss fights.  I wonder if they could instead make it scaled on the amount of damage you take instead of number of hits.