Big Nerf Patch, Year/s Later LOL

HoneyBadger.5691

Friendly reminder most of us (including many who stopped playing) enjoyed the game far more before the Feb. patch that nerfed everything in WvW and PvP.

All it accomplished was making the game slow, unrewarding, and much less fun.

If you want to keep GW2 alive beyond EoD's honeymoon phase, I think reverting it entirely would go a long way, and be an easy fix.

Celestial stat also needs to be reverted, since it's obviously OP when it's useful, but that's another issue all together.

Cheers.

Edited by HoneyBadger.5691
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 17
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I like it.

A few classes need to have some damage put back on some of their CC skills (Warrior Hammer is the obvious example), a few classes need some damage coefficients rebalanced, and a few bunkery builds need to be looked at, but overall the current level of damage output means small fights actually have some compelling back-and-forth instead of being decided by a single burst combo (while those burst combos still matter, a lot).

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

I played WvW all the time pre HoT and it was my best times in gaming. Over the years I came back every now and then to see what the game was like and I've always hated it. It was only after that patch that it became fun enough to play again so now I play all the time.

If the balanced moved back to how it was before February I would probably stop playing again.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

2 hours ago, Sylvyn.4750 said:

After years of collecting data, why do you think Anet added concentration and expertise to the stats if celestial was already OP as claimed?

This, almost no player ever used Celestial in PvE or WvW except on some experimental builds for 10k health classes. Even now its not used that heavily and is mostly just gear filler for rounding out stats.

---

Also, what is OP on about? People still explode in seconds most of the time. The damage nerf only worked for a little while until players learned how to adjust their builds to do most of the same things again; just less oneshots, but overall damage is still quite high, I see crits of 5-6k all the time which is alot when your health is 15-20k.

The only time damage is too low is when fighting a roamer on a troll build or facing a boonballing zerg. I'd say that at the moment the game is more balanced than its ever been.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Jski.6180 said:

The last update for dmg -% maybe the true end to this game for "melee" bombs pushing the game to full ranged only mood.

If they make COR + Phase Smash hit even harder it'll just make the ranged burst before melee even more impactful.

19 hours ago, Sylvyn.4750 said:

After years of collecting data, why do you think Anet added concentration and expertise to the stats if celestial was already OP as claimed?

because when anet collects data and plans something for years, something like the alliances beta fail comes on the table afterwards.

@Kicast.1459 u can be sure they never just nerfed dmg by 90% in bulk before ANY of the previous expansions

@Littlekenny.4196 agreed, it did hurt the fast paced combat and the dynamics a lot. it has not been thought through at all... anet nerfed damage without keeping in mind a ton of factors. like mobility, selfsustain, cooldowns overall, attack speed, cast speed, range, shadowsteps and blinks etc

so they messed up some previously existing balance with feb2020 + the retal removing extremly hard.

and still, NO SINGLE SKILL got a real buff, as far as i know.

nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs nerfs

is all u get. which is just a bad mindset of the developing team. it simply is not a good ration to destroy 10 builds, buff 2, create 1 at best (if there are dedicated rifle buff builds on warri and engi for smallscale memes, idk)

and then the few buffs they tried are just weird stuff, like dragonhunter longbow, which was never unviable anyways on smaller scale.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, kamikharzeeh.8016 said:

because when anet collects data and plans something for years, something like the alliances beta fail comes on the table afterwards.

I'm willing to give them a bye for now due to the company shakeup a couple years back followed by a pandemic or two...

• Confused 3

21 hours ago, ASP.8093 said:

If they make COR + Phase Smash hit even harder it'll just make the ranged burst before melee even more impactful.

Well they made every thing hit harder or made all def effects a bit weaker. You would be better to run life steal hp reg or even out going heal over the -10% dmg now and go full range glass OR the "you cant be killed" melee builds also know as jump in ever 1 min for 10 ish sec.

Sorry to say, but reverting feb patch probably wont bring us back to the game. Its bit too late, not only from gw2, but from some other games ppl left and:

a) half of them was taken by FF14

b) the other half now joined New World

And theres Lost Ark coming together with new FF14 expansion. At best EoD will be something like Shadowlands for WoW, first few months really good and then just dead. But imo its gonna last maybe a month, look how fast people got through PoF (a week?) and there was nothing to do. Plus PoF specs at least looked fun to play, EoD specs are just boring and bad, I dont know a single person thats gonna buy EoD because of new spec.

Personally I logged in 2-3 times during last few months and WvW was just depressing. Barely any zerg, no roamers, some bots around. And it was T2 MU i think. I guess game still can be fun to play with friends from time to time, but for a full-time hobby game played every evening...man, i feel sorry for those people.

Edited by Widmo.3186
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

12 minutes ago, Widmo.3186 said:

At best EoD will be something like Shadowlands for WoW, first few months really good and then just dead. But imo its gonna last maybe a month, look how fast people got through PoF (a week?) and there was nothing to do. Plus PoF specs at least looked fun to play, EoD specs are just boring and bad, I dont know a single person thats gonna buy EoD because of new spec.

They'll probably put a couple meta maps to keep you busy while waiting for the next living story. Plus launching with legendaries to make from the beginning, well hopefully not like HoT which was sold with that idea, but then took like what four years to actually get them out. Never seen a game company expecting players to stick to a game for four years before finally getting what they paid for, expansion life cycles are usually two years for most games.

Anyways kind of a rant, but I also don't see anything worth getting the expansion for, I would only get them for forced qol(auto loot, gliding, mount) and new specs. But none of the new six look appealing enough to play, and next three are for classes I don't play often, but hey I roam around on core necro these days, maybe I'm just hard to please with specs now. So my biggest concern will be balancing, which they've neglected once again for long periods of time, don't feel like they will ever take this seriously, and considering combat is what we do 90% of the time in wvw, pretty depressing....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Widmo.3186 said:

Sorry to say, but reverting feb patch probably wont bring us back to the game. Its bit too late, not only from gw2, but from some other games ppl left and:

It's a 9-year-old game. People can and should try new things. I don't think it's actually some colossal failure on Anet's part if some people migrate away.

Heck, I quite around HoT and would've never picked it up again if not for covid.

7 hours ago, Widmo.3186 said:

And theres Lost Ark coming together with new FF14 expansion. At best EoD will be something like Shadowlands for WoW, first few months really good and then just dead. But imo its gonna last maybe a month, look how fast people got through PoF (a week?) and there was nothing to do. Plus PoF specs at least looked fun to play, EoD specs are just boring and bad, I dont know a single person thats gonna buy EoD because of new spec.

Personally I logged in 2-3 times during last few months and WvW was just depressing. Barely any zerg, no roamers, some bots around. And it was T2 MU i think. I guess game still can be fun to play with friends from time to time, but for a full-time hobby game played every evening...man, i feel sorry for those people.

from the overall looks in wvw, nope, it's not that dramatic. the rest of the game shouldn't bother us too much in this section here.

a) FF14 is out for quite some time yet but has no battle system that can live up to gw2.

b) new world is just having a hype train, but got many bad critics yet amongst those who test it. really does not sound promising.

idk where you logged in and when, but as long as there's queues every day of 30+, i do not really worry about this.

playerbase becomes more and more casual, which is a self-made issue tho. not all servers are capable of organizing their groups well. and about that time thing... for newly starting players the whole of gw2 still offers several thousand hours, no matter what "daed gaem" meme's are currently floating around again lel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ASP.8093 said:

It's a 9-year-old game. People can and should try new things. I don't think it's actually some colossal failure on Anet's part if some people migrate away.

Disagree, its true that some people shouldve left, but amount is too big and thats not only because of the age of the game, but also neglect from ANet. Balance updates focused on PvE, sometimes PvP and rarely WvW, Alliance promise how many years ago? Still nothing, and if you consider EoD specs beta bad, what would you call Alliances beta? It was a disaster and total failure after so long time of preparing for it. The last update WvW got was desert BL which is more-or-less 75% hated, 25% loved (thats why only 1 BL is desert nowadays and its usually the least populated one). Without content updates games will die, and thats whats happening (and personally I dont think 'daed gaem' is a meme anymore, lol). Even freaking Heroes 3 HotA gets more and better updates than gw2.

3 hours ago, kamikharzeeh.8016 said:

from the overall looks in wvw, nope, it's not that dramatic. the rest of the game shouldn't bother us too much in this section here.

a) FF14 is out for quite some time yet but has no battle system that can live up to gw2.

b) new world is just having a hype train, but got many bad critics yet amongst those who test it. really does not sound promising.

idk where you logged in and when, but as long as there's queues every day of 30+, i do not really worry about this.

playerbase becomes more and more casual, which is a self-made issue tho. not all servers are capable of organizing their groups well. and about that time thing... for newly starting players the whole of gw2 still offers several thousand hours, no matter what "daed gaem" meme's are currently floating around again lel.

FF14 was already fine before exodus, its way more than fine now and combat is just a different thing that people get used to while having tons of content that can be done (either for casuals or more hardcore players, gw2 lacks options for the latter). If even pvp-only players (including me) find its PvE entertaining then its a really good sign.

About NW, wow, you came to that conclusion all by yourself or someone helped you? Yes, its obv a hypetrain, the point of my statement was that players got taken either by old game (such as ff14) or totaly new one (NW), neither of those is gw2. Game lacks advertising, no matter how good your combat is when people just dont want to try it, for 100 players coming to other mmo's, maybe 1 comes to gw2. Streamers were testing things after WoW clapped, pshero tested gw2 pvp for a week and left, so did staysafe afaik.

About those ques, in most cases id call them fake ones considering the amount of people you actually meet on the map. Another thing is that those occur on prime time and mostly in T1, which is probably the only MU id call 'alive'. Game is not dead, but imo its more than visible that the pace of dying speeded up and upcoming expansion is not really promising (read 'game' as both gw2 and wvw per se)

Edited by Widmo.3186
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Widmo.3186 said:

Disagree, its true that some people shouldve left, but amount is too big and thats not only because of the age of the game, but also neglect from ANet. Balance updates focused on PvE, sometimes PvP and rarely WvW, Alliance promise how many years ago? Still nothing, and if you consider EoD specs beta bad, what would you call Alliances beta? It was a disaster and total failure after so long time of preparing for it. The last update WvW got was desert BL which is more-or-less 75% hated, 25% loved (thats why only 1 BL is desert nowadays and its usually the least populated one). Without content updates games will die, and thats whats happening (and personally I dont think 'daed gaem' is a meme anymore, lol). Even freaking Heroes 3 HotA gets more and better updates than gw2.

The amount is too big? Compared to what? 

GW2 has been keeping a good base of players for all these years due to a good foundation. If we ignore ignore alliances, there is nothing either "good" or "bad" coming and hasnt been for years...  yet it keeps chugging on. Players leaving is a natural death. 

It will be interesting to see what happen to NW in comparison because that has impending disaster hanging over it. Too many servers to keep everything populated. Sound familiar? Well they cant "megaserver" their way out of that due to the way PvP and PvE interacts with region claims. And the PvP itself? I've already been hearing it's going belly up with hideously imbalanced sides which, once again, they cant "relink" their way out of. My personal predictions of it lasting 3 months before heavy decline may have been optimistic, lol.

Some games dig their own holes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Condition builds are prevalent and need significant nerfage, perhaps temporary immunities should be considered.

Aside from that, damage remains too high across the board.

CC is ubiquitous and needs duration reduction - this should make a huge difference in Competitive modes whilst remaining viable for breakbar play.

• Confused 1