Do you like the name Untamed?

TheLadyOfTheRings.9148

What the title says. Do you like the name of our new elite spec? Would you prefer another name? If yes, which one? 

I searched for synonyms for "untamed", and "feral" caught my eye 🙂 I think The Feral would sound much better and would go well with Druid and Soulbeast (Druid - Soulbeast - Feral, vs Druid - Soulbeast - Untamed).

Besides, when I say the name together with the race, Untamed sounds a bit... strange?

Sylvari Untamed

Norn Untamed

Human Untamed 

Charr Untamed

Asura Untamed

With Feral it just flows better, I think:

Sylvari Feral

Norn Feral

Human Feral

Charr Feral

Asura Feral

Anyway, these are just my thoughts. What do you think? Do you like Feral? What other name would you suggest?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Neither Feral nor Untamed feel like good names. However, while I can imagine that the spec channel untamed energy making the current name somewhat acceptable, I don't see anything that's feral enough to warrant the "Feral" name.

If anything, it look more like the ranger and it's pets are "corrupted" or "infected" by some kind of plant or fungus. The color scheme remind of the Canthan Wardens in GW so it should have probably been called a Warden.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Dakiaris.2798 said:

I firmly believe it should be renamed Poo roller since it looks like we're going to smear ourself and our pet with diarrhea.

Come on grt with the program, its Cantha, the green stuff is Wasabi 😄

Edited by Andy.5981

2 hours ago, Aleksander Suburb.4287 said:

Although I'm not a fan of the wardens, the name warden seems to fit the class. I could think, that they can not translate warden into other languages, that is far enough from guardian. But why we don't give them the same english name. 

Thank you , it should be called Warden...there is a saying , if it aint broke dont fix it. Warden fit the story and lore and sounds so much better.

• Like 1

If it's true that they couldn't call the warrior's elite spec 'gunblade' because there's something with the same name in Final Fantasy I assume they couldn't call this one the warden because that's the name of the nature magic themed class in Elder Scrolls Online.

Or maybe the wardens from GW1 are going to be in EoD as well and they didn't want to confuse the elite spec and the NPC race.

• Confused 1

I don't because it is unclear what or who is untamed. It basically makes no sense because the animal is clearly tamed. If they wanted to signify some kind of feral energy of the ranger, then as others said feral would have been better. Or even Beastmaster to match the traitline.

Edited by mistsim.2748
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

It is fine. I would've preferred like.. The Primal or something personally. Untamed is a bit clunky and doesn't sound like a profession.

"So. What is your job?"

"I AM UNTAMED."

"O... Okay. What do you do?"

"I untame things."

"And that pet at your side is...?"

"Untame. Don't try to pet it."

• Haha 8

While my first instinct after watching the trailer was that Untamed was a bit awkward, I think it might be a very intentional choice that could have significant lore ties to Echovald after sitting on it for a while. With the recent reveal that the Echovald map we're getting isn't the Echovald Forest but the Echovald Wilds, I think it's very likely that this spec is directly tied to why that is. If that does end up being the case, a name like Untamed more clearly conveys the connection to wild magic then something like Primal or Feral.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Untamed is kind of a weird choice for a spec that revolves around the deep bond between you and a pet - which you've tamed.

Maybe something like Wildheart or Naturalist would better encompass the 'raw energy' 'back to nature' vibe they seem to be trying for here.

Also, like some of the other EoD offerings, this spec's name just feels like it'd fall on its face in a conversation:
"Ah yeah, my daughter, she's a Mesmer, what's your son training in now?" "Oh, he's hoping to become an Untamed." "An untamed what?" "Just.. throwing tigers around I guess. Untamed." "Oh."

Doesn't have the same ring as The Exalted (who still have professions added to their names when referred to as individuals, such as Exalted Burnisher/Bastion/Sage) which is a faction as opposed to a profession.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Untamed is kind of a weird choice for a spec that revolves around the deep bond between you and a pet - which you've tamed.

Maybe something like Wildheart or Naturalist would better encompass the 'raw energy' 'back to nature' vibe they seem to be trying for here.

Also, like some of the other EoD offerings, this spec's name just feels like it'd fall on its face in a conversation:
"Ah yeah, my daughter, she's a Mesmer, what's your son training in now?" "Oh, he's hoping to become an Untamed." "An untamed what?" "Just.. throwing tigers around I guess. Untamed." "Oh."

Doesn't have the same ring as The Exalted (who still have professions added to their names when referred to as individuals, such as Exalted Burnisher/Bastion/Sage) which is a faction as opposed to a profession.

So my headcanon that actually makes the name work is that the Untamed isn't really the name of a formal profession but rather the name given to a loosely-connected, region-specific (likely originating in the Echovald Wilds) faction of rangers who have learned to harness the potential of the wild, primal magic in the area. Canthan rangers could gain the moniker by making the pilgrimage to the Wilds to train with the Untamed, thereby becoming one themselves. So someone discussing their child/children would say something like "they left to the Wilds to train with the Untamed," or "they're training to become one of the Untamed."