Gen 2 legendary weapons ridiculously overpriced?

47 minutes ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

All it does is add more grind to precursors. Not really beneficial to the players IMO. 

Timesinks arent meant to be beneficial, they are meant to be... timesinks. Strange I know. 

If you think its overpriced, then just dont do it. Ascended is the same stats. Much cheaper.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

How is that what you got out of this? When there is such a huge collection for the precursor and all of the account bond currencies you need, then they shouldn't be adding a gold sink on top of that which cost the same if not more than gen 1 precursor

Theres a pattern here. People are reading what they want to hear and not what is being said...

And why shouldn't there be a gold sink just because of the use of the map currencies?  Map currencies are often used in tandem with gold, its part of their function.  You can either accept that the gold cost is a part of the process and the challenge of acquiring Legendaries or you can choose not to and stick with ascended gear.

Also if there is indeed a "pattern" maybe it has more to do with how you've stated things instead of ALL of us not having sufficient reading comprehension.

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

And why shouldn't there be a gold sink just because of the use of the map currencies?  Map currencies are often used in tandem with gold, its part of their function.  You can either accept that the gold cost is a part of the process and the challenge of acquiring Legendaries or you can choose not to and stick with ascended gear.

Also if there is indeed a "pattern" maybe it has more to do with how you've stated things instead of ALL of us not having sufficient reading comprehension.

Just because theyre often used along side gold doesn't make it scripture. Did you not read my initial post or are you also someone who just reads what they want to hear?  Since when has farming gold or pulling out a credit card become a "challenge"? lol

Actually a few people understood what I said clearly. So this "ALL" you're talking about doesn't exist. I'd rather have the few agree with me. Mass appeal is usually foolishness. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Timesinks arent meant to be beneficial, they are meant to be... timesinks. Strange I know. 

If you think its overpriced, then just dont do it. Ascended is the same stats. Much cheaper.

When the point of the precursors were to make it so you don't have to rely on RNG,  something that was pushed as a good thing for the players aka beneficial, it shouldn't take up way more of your time. You have to now not only grind the gold  for the precursor but also do the collection which can take a while for most. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5

1) The collection prices were meant to make it more accessable via non-rng methods, not cheaper.
2) Could have looked all this up beforehand on the wiki or on other sites.
3) Legendaries are a material sink and should remain this way. If you want flashy for cheap, there's always the gemstore.

• Like 8

Just now, lokh.2695 said:

1) The collection prices were meant to make it more accessable via non-rng methods, not cheaper.
2) Could have looked all this up beforehand on the wiki or on other sites.
3) Legendaries are a material sink and should remain this way. If you want flashy for cheap, there's always the gemstore.

I'm not asking for cheap. Cheaper doesn't mean cheap....There's still all the gifts you need besides the precursor you know? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

Theres a pattern here. People are reading what they want to hear and not what is being said...

This goes both ways. 

2 hours ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

It's not the price of the material its the quantity. Either way someone already stated the answer which has nothing to do with that. The point of the collection was not to take away the gold cost but to take away the RNG for getting a precursor as loot, which honestly makes no sense with the way its implemented. If you have to spend the same amount, if not more gold on a gen 2 anyways, why does it matter if you take away the RNG. You're spending the gold either way. All it does is add more grind to precursors. Not really beneficial to the players IMO. 

One can farm the materials over time and work their way to the precursor. I’d say that provides another means to acquire it which doesn’t revolve around RNG. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

I thought that the fact that they added a collection for precursors was suppose to make it cheaper to craft not more expensive.

You say that you think the collections were supposed to make legendaries cheaper. Which was never the case nor the intention.

Edited by lokh.2695
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, lokh.2695 said:

Yes....the precursor, if it didnt have a gold sink, would make a legendary cheaper to get gold wise. Did you not know that time investment is also a thing? The time spent farming the gold to buy a precursor, which you still have to do, would have been replaced by the time it takes to complete the collection. Making the overall gold spent less but not reducing the time to acquire a legendary item.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

6 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

This goes both ways. 

One can farm the materials over time and work their way to the precursor. I’d say that provides another means to acquire it which doesn’t revolve around RNG. 

And what would that pattern be? 

But that material could be sold to get a precursor and you wont have to do all the other collection prerequisites on top of that. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

How is that what you got out of this? When there is such a huge collection for the precursor and all of the account bond currencies you need, then they shouldn't be adding a gold sink on top of that which cost the same if not more than gen 1 precursor

And one poster in particular likes to comment as a contrarian.  But back to topic:

I made Astralaria and the mystic coins were the killer for me..  

Two ‘suggestions’ (take them or leave them.. 🥴)

-  consider getting GW efficiency.  With an API you can figure out the specific items you still need for craftable items and their current costs.  It’s helped me with several legendaries.

-  I also make Gen 1 legendaries to finance the legendaries I want..  usually I make 2, sell 1.  Then repeat.  It builds my stock of legendaries to use without losing ground too far on gold.  When I hit a couple of ‘extra’ gen 1’s, I sold two to finance some small stuff and Astralaria,  

Good luck.  Having them out there always gives me something to work on.  The only part of the journey I hate is world completion…. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

Of course it can...The amount of material require can be lowered, which lowers the price overall. It's not that complicated...

People are really reaching here. If you're confused about this topic, thats a comprehension issue on your end. Thats the bottom line. 

Again, the price you want Anet to adjust mat requirements for is not static ... so sure, it not might not be complicated (and no one argued complicated was a reason to not do it either so 🤷‍♂️) but that's not the only factor to consider if it makes  sense for Anet to continually adjust the Gen 2 mats to chase Gen 1 prices. 

Frankly, seems like a waste of Anet's time and there is no need for it. If you don't like the cost, don't do it ... just like everything else, as intended

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

Just because theyre often used along side gold doesn't make it scripture. Did you not read my initial post or are you also someone who just reads what they want to hear?  Since when has farming gold or pulling out a credit card become a "challenge"? lol

Actually a few people understood what I said clearly. So this "ALL" you're talking about doesn't exist. I'd rather have the few agree with me. Mass appeal is usually foolishness. 

Mass appeal IS foolishness- the ‘gib me for cheap’ mentality is widespread among the masses. Which is even weirder considering this game doesn’t offer any stat edge on legendaries…

pay the price. It’s supposed to be a massive gold and time sink. Pay the price or use exotic

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

And what would that pattern be? 

But that material could be sold to get a precursor and you wont have to do all the other collection prerequisites on top of that. 

Write out exactly how you suggest crafting those Legendaries should be. I’m expecting details for every step including item quantities. 

• Like 8

16 hours ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

Am I the only one with this opinion? I can't be!

You're not.

The cost and effort of legendaries is what has kept me from sitting down and making any. I've made significant progress on most of the collections, but eventually I hit the 'great, now go craft 250 axes and throw them in the trash for me' steps and lose all will to live. I really enjoy the collections themselves, and think it's a great journey to a precursor, but I do feel that it's disheartening to travel all around the game performing these entertaining tasks and then get hit with a basic grind. You'd expect that simply buying a precursor and crafting a legendary from it would be more expensive than doing the journey since you're paying for the convenience, but it doesn't work out that way which is kind of a bummer.

But as you've said, it's a vent more than anything else. It's not really something to be fixed, just annoying.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Tier 2 legendries are meant to be long term goals with long term material gathering and collection requirements for those that want long term objectives that give a rewards that doesn't become redundant 2 months later because others can buy their way to it.  It also gives value for material collectors and people who enjoy the map gameplay - Its a good thing for the game. Anet have also given tier 1 and tier 3 and pretty much ever other item in the game for those that want faster shiny toys.  It's win win, i.e they are not mutually exclusive, you can do either or one or neither without impact.

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Irrespective of who you're referring to, this is a rather bad faith statement.

🤷

Think what you would like.  The poster I referred to rarely if ever offers a comment in favor of a topic.  Which, of course, is their prerogative.  My comment was to the OP.  Not to the poster I was referring to.  Nor to anyone else.  

However, I would say that my choice of the word ‘contrarian’ was inaccurate, as the poster in question doesn’t normally go against popular opinion.  

I stand corrected.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 5

19 hours ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

I thought that the fact that they added a collection for precursors was suppose to make it cheaper to craft not more expensive..

This was never the intent. The intent was to allow you to work toward a precursor rather than just hope for a wildly unlikely drop.

• Like 7

18 hours ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

I thought that the fact that they added a collection for precursors was suppose to make it cheaper to craft not more expensive

The point of the collection was to make precursor acquisition deterministic because foolish people were about it and thinking it would make things cheaper.

18 hours ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

I talking about gen 2. Where you have to go through a huge collection to build the precursor and it still costs more than the most expensive gen 1 precursor. 

I think you're misinterpreting what I'm saying. 

The average crafting cost of a gen2 is 2k not 2.3k.

If 300g is a meaningless difference to you then I think you shouldn't really be concerned about prices of things that much.

18 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

They’re not meant to be cheaper, they meant to be easier to obtain - ie not based on luck. The collections allow you to chip away in stages by grinding, farming or paying outright. I farmed almost everything I needed, so my costs were minimal, but it’s about options, not a guaranteed cost reduction

That was possible without collections as well.

These days a legendary can be crafted in approximately 11 months with relatively little effort. Unless you are a person who is completely obsessed with obtaining every last speck of material used on your own(meaning 0% usage of the TP).

Is 11 months of relatively low effort too much to ask for on a "legendary" item? Doesn't seem like it to me although the issue was never relevant to me. I make them because I wanted them so I made plans on how to get them. There isn't really that much else to use resources towards anyway.

17 hours ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

Maybe I'll start the chuka champawat for fun than, until the gold sink.

C&C's precursor is more expensive than HOPE's precursor ...

11 hours ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

It's not the price of the material its the quantity.

How can price not be the problem if the problem is about something being overpriced?!

9 hours ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

When the point of the precursors were to make it so you don't have to rely on RNG,  something that was pushed as a good thing for the players aka beneficial, it shouldn't take up way more of your time. You have to now not only grind the gold  for the precursor but also do the collection which can take a while for most. 

It was not pushed as a good thing for the players.

It was requested by players obsessed with obtaining every last speck of materials for the item "on their own".

1 hour ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

Only 4 gen2 weapon legendaries have legendary journeys attached to them. Then anet gave up on it, and made them craftable right out of the gate if you had all materials.

That is true but it doesn't actually make much difference on their cost.

2 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

You're not.

The cost and effort of legendaries is what has kept me from sitting down and making any. I've made significant progress on most of the collections, but eventually I hit the 'great, now go craft 250 axes and throw them in the trash for me' steps and lose all will to live. I really enjoy the collections themselves, and think it's a great journey to a precursor, but I do feel that it's disheartening to travel all around the game performing these entertaining tasks and then get hit with a basic grind. You'd expect that simply buying a precursor and crafting a legendary from it would be more expensive than doing the journey since you're paying for the convenience, but it doesn't work out that way which is kind of a bummer.

But as you've said, it's a vent more than anything else. It's not really something to be fixed, just annoying.

What sort of time investment are you expecting for a legendary?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

No idea; I've never made one for myself. I have, however, crunched cost/material numbers and know that I don't enjoy some parts of the legendary journey which is why I've never made one; I made peace with that a while ago, but it doesn't mean I can't make observations about the costs of the collection/crafting process as the OP has.

Other posters have put forth that legendaries should take a buttload of time and money, so to answer your question, I guess the expectation should be that the time investment should be 'a while' and the monetary investment should be 'a lot'.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

The point of the collection was to make precursor acquisition deterministic because foolish people were about it and thinking it would make things cheaper.

The average crafting cost of a gen2 is 2k not 2.3k.

If 300g is a meaningless difference to you then I think you shouldn't really be concerned about prices of things that much.

That was possible without collections as well.

These days a legendary can be crafted in approximately 11 months with relatively little effort. Unless you are a person who is completely obsessed with obtaining every last speck of material used on your own(meaning 0% usage of the TP).

Is 11 months of relatively low effort too much to ask for on a "legendary" item? Doesn't seem like it to me although the issue was never relevant to me. I make them because I wanted them so I made plans on how to get them. There isn't really that much else to use resources towards anyway.

C&C's precursor is more expensive than HOPE's precursor ...

How can price not be the problem if the problem is about something being overpriced?!

It was not pushed as a good thing for the players.

It was requested by players obsessed with obtaining every last speck of materials for the item "on their own".

That is true but it doesn't actually make much difference on their cost.

There was a complaint about the precursor after in gen2, and I said its only for the first four.

The Gen 2 legendaries are a higher visual fidelity than Gen 1 so it makes sense that they cost a bit more. The issue with Gen 2 cost is the mystic tribute, specifically mystic coins.

Having the legendary cost be so centralized on a single item was a bad idea. A stack of mystic coins, really? No wonder the price has surged over time. The condensed gifts were good ideas because they distributed the cost over more tiers of trophies, improving the value of the previously worthless trophies and making the prices more stable. 

I doubt we will see a similar recipe for Gen 3 just because the price of a mystic tribute is way too volatile and attached to MCs. It’s a quick and dirty way to slap cost on an item.

• Like 2