Prestige items GW2 vs other MMOs

Balsa.3951

1 minute ago, robertthebard.8150 said:

Because they literally said it in this thread...

Can you quote me where they said that? 

6 minutes ago, robertthebard.8150 said:

I never even played it because the reward wasn't enticing enough to get me in it.  So, if they were aiming to get more players with that reward, it failed miserably.  It's not an allergy to PvP either, since I played Aion from the 2nd closed beta until just after it went F2P, and spent entire weekends doing nothing else but PvP.

How does one conclude, it was effective for me, so it failed miserably?

• Confused 1

Gw2 is a fashion game, perhaps the first and a true one.

u get complimients there not for expensive Cash-Shop stuff and neither hard-content item(or title whatsover), but if u make a good looking character ppl sent PM to compliment u frequently and it's hilarious, i feel anet accidentally discovered a niche, a potential in mmo's..

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I can imagine not very successful. I say that because during the warclaw release there were a lot of complaints about WvW maps being too full and wait times.  Now... crickets.

Well now is pretty late in the gamecylce (almost at the next expac). So the krickets part is to be expected.  We atleast know lots of people tried wvw then apperently for the skin/

• Confused 1

Just now, robertthebard.8150 said:

Oke, that quote does not show what you think it does. Nowhere does that suggest that we can buy prestige skins (its more of a complained that all fancy skins are gs and their are no prestige skins.)

Nowhere does that suggest you can use skins without the mount.

Just now, robertthebard.8150 said:

Because it didn't entice me to play it.  Do you honestly believe I'm the only one where that didn't work?

no, but i expect you to atleast realise that your opinion might not be representative. Kharmin brought up that when the skin released that their where waittimes for wvw. So atleast enough people tried WvW to bottleneck it.

9 minutes ago, yann.1946 said:

Oke, that quote does not show what you think it does. Nowhere does that suggest that we can buy prestige skins (its more of a complained that all fancy skins are gs and their are no prestige skins.)

Nowhere does that suggest you can use skins without the mount.

no, but i expect you to atleast realise that your opinion might not be representative. Kharmin brought up that when the skin released that their where waittimes for wvw. So atleast enough people tried WvW to bottleneck it.

Nowhere did I claim to be representative.  It failed miserably at enticing me to play it.  Do you have any other reason to explain why I didn't participate in getting this Warclaw, I'm dying to hear it.

In regard to the quote, you feel free to interpret "If u happy be able to buy everything in the TP or gemstore without playing, thats perfect for u" any way you wish.  I, on the other hand, am going assign the value to what the skin can be applied to where "prestige" is concerned.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, robertthebard.8150 said:

Nowhere did I claim to be representative. 

Except in the part where you said that using the skin to attract people failed because it did not attract you.

It failed miserably at enticing me to play it.  Do you have any other reason to explain why I didn't participate in getting this Warclaw, I'm dying to hear it.

Oke, you are just not following the conversation, that is the only charitable explanation for thinking this is a response to what i wrote.

You said that it faild because it did not entice you. I pointed out that whether it attracted you or not is not really relevant to it failing because it only matter whether it attracted the community.

In regard to the quote, you feel free to interpret "If u happy be able to buy everything in the TP or gemstore without playing, thats perfect for u" any way you wish. 

You mean the part where they say that its fine to have that opinion, but the person disagrees that that is a good direction

In that quote they specificly say "But it doesn't change my opinion that the game has an extremely low number of in game rewards vs the growing reward list from the gemstone." 

I, on the other hand, am going assign the value to what the skin can be applied to where "prestige" is concerned.

You're not even engaging with the conversation now. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, yann.1946 said:

Except in the part where you said that using the skin to attract people failed because it did not attract you.

Oke, you are just not following the conversation, that is the only charitable explanation for thinking this is a response to what i wrote.

You said that it faild because it did not entice you. I pointed out that whether it attracted you or not is not really relevant to it failing because it only matter whether it attracted the community.

You mean the part where they say that its fine to have that opinion, but the person disagrees that that is a good direction

In that quote they specificly say "But it doesn't change my opinion that the game has an extremely low number of in game rewards vs the growing reward list from the gemstone." 

You're not even engaging with the conversation now. 

So, the only perspective that matters is your own.  Allowing for anything that doesn't mesh is "being charitable".  Got it...

Here's the problem:  It failed to get me interested enough to play it.  The only reference to "representative" that was made in this exchange was by you, attempting to assemble a strawman to take apart.  The goal was to entice me to play it, it didn't, thus, it failed miserably.  Your mileage may vary, and I don't have to "be charitable" to allow for the difference of opinion, just rational.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Wasn't the warclaw supposed to help with that in WvW?  I wonder how many players, who weren't already involved with that mode, actually stayed once they had acquired the mount?

No lmao

Warclaw was so bad I know people who quit WvW over it. It's a very obvious case of putting money above the health of the game. Warclaw was added to further monetize WvW players with little to no consideration of what it'll do to the gamemode, and Anet had to spend months fixing it after launch.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, yann.1946 said:

That is not completely true.

The goal with ading fancy rewards is not to get everyone enjoying it, but getting people who would enjoy it and havent tried in those modes. 

I agree.

I was speaking more from a point of enticing new players to the content with fancy skins wouldn't be really effective imo.
Competitive modes do have some exclusive skins already but not many people who don't play them regularly will go into the game mode to get them.

I am not sure if Fashion Wars plays that much of a role in competitive either, I could be mistaken on this but when you're constantly engaged in combat or within a mass blob of players and effects do people really care that much about what their characters look like?
Outside of 1v1 dueling I wouldn't think it matters all that much.. they'd be more focused on fighting etc, least I would be.

Fancy finishers would be cool, except you can not really use them a lot in pve. So that defeats parts of the goal.

Aye for enticing new players it's certainly not that useful.
It might be for regular competitive players but as I said before the general attitude I tend to see a lot is that these players really dislike the downstate mechanic anyway.
That and from my experience in WvW mostly I don't notice a lot of finishers being used that much, not unless they're being used in some kind of teleport/shadowstep combo to eliminate the downed players ability to defend themselves.

The only problem is that gen 3 legendaries are getting inside that rewardspace.

Very true, it's mainly where I got the idea from as well.

I don't think this is a bad thing though since Legendaries can provide their own unique animations to differentiate them.
They could also change it down the road to make those legendary effects into infusions that are given to people who already made the weapons.
That way you could use that legendary effect on any legendary weapon.. or basic skin if you wanted to.

Having Legendaries give infusions like that would be one of the few ways you could get weapon effect infusions in PvE.
If Anet did go down this path I would support PvE only having a small amount of weapon infusions obtainable in the game mode, most of which would be from legendary weapons.
PvP and WvW is where weapon effect infusions should be most in abundance.

3 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Wasn't the warclaw supposed to help with that in WvW?  I wonder how many players, who weren't already involved with that mode, actually stayed once they had acquired the mount?

The Warclaw was mostly a change to WvW itself.  There's no reason to get it if you don't WvW, since it doesn't do anything unique in PvE. So it seemed obvious from the start that it would not be a long-term population increase.

If anything, the Warclaw is a penalty, because it defaults to it in pve whenever you come back from WvW.

I mean they probably should have gave some of its functionality (like sharing a speed bonus with unmounted people), but I guess people would complain about that too.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1

So, the only perspective that matters is your own.  Allowing for anything that doesn't mesh is "being charitable".  Got it...

This is so far from what i said. The reason i used the term charitable is because you where not even engaging with my points. 

Here's the problem:  It failed to get me interested enough to play it.  The only reference to "representative" that was made in this exchange was by you, attempting to assemble a strawman to take apart.  The goal was to entice me to play it,

No, the goal was to entice players, not nessecarily you.

it didn't, thus, it failed miserably.  Your mileage may vary, and I don't have to "be charitable" to allow for the difference of opinion, just rational.

We are not talking about a difference of opinion, where talking about a misreading of the intent of the op, and responding to arguments that where never made.

47 minutes ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

The Warclaw was mostly a change to WvW itself.  There's no reason to get it if you don't WvW, since it doesn't do anything unique in PvE. So it seemed obvious from the start that it would not be a long-term population increase.

If anything, the Warclaw is a penalty, because it defaults to it in pve whenever you come back from WvW.

I mean they probably should have gave some of its functionality (like sharing a speed bonus with unmounted people), but I guess people would complain about that too.

The Warclaw only defaults to that mount in PvE if you leave WvW mounted.

If you don't leave mounted, you will defaulted to your chosen PvE mount.

• Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

The Warclaw only defaults to that mount in PvE if you leave WvW mounted.

If you don't leave mounted, you will defaulted to your chosen PvE mount.

Woah, GW2 life hack!

Thank you.

Somehow I never put that together and thought it was some random (very minor) annoyance.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I did...it's not my main area of gameplay here but I've been stopping in several times a week ever since they introduced the warclaw.  I remember the complaints about crowds then that you mention too, and I haven't seen those complaints since then.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, witcher.3197 said:

GW2 has a cosmetic endgame.

All the best cosmetics come from the store, and there are entire categories of items that can only be obtained through the store, like mount skins. 

That is wrong. I consider the scrapper hammer skin to be one of the best hammer skin in the game. I consider ascended staff skin to be one of the best staff skin in the game. You may not agree with me but it wont change anything for me. Cosmetics are just cosmetics. 

This screws up the entire reward structure of the game, because prestigeous rewards tied to completing certain types of content are vital for the health of an MMO - which we can't have, because Anet won't make ingame rewards compete with the store.

I suppose the free legendary amulet you get for completing the "return to... " chain achievement isnt prestigeous. I suppose all the mystic coin you get isnt pretigeous as well... To you it may not be pretigeous but to me it is not only prestigeous but also very very convenient and I would gladly take that over any other skins available in the game.

Store items don't have any prestige, and the store sucks up all the best skins. Why invest time into an activity, when investing credit card money can get you the same thing faster? Gemstore is the endgame.

That is the problem.

Why are you even playing GW2 ? To me you sound like the kind of person who would die if you're not at the center of attention because you unlocked that fancy mountskin only high end pro competitive player can hope to get. Have you considered the possibility that there are players out there who invest time into this game because they find the game genuinely fun ? Have you considered that there are players who keep doing raid / SPVP / WvW even though they unlocked almost everything relevant because they find the gamemode fun ? The gemstore isnt the endgame at all. The only value prestige has is the value you as a player decides to give. And from what I'm reading you sounds like someone who only plays for prestige and nothing else. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

On 12/15/2021 at 4:43 AM, Balsa.3951 said:

Other MMO: Dragon mount from the Urakon 5man heroic dungeon. After completing the Forgul alliance achievement with the highest possible score. Summon on a full red moon, possible only once a year! Dam respect man, that was a challenge... I love that Mount!

GW2: Dragon Mount 2000 gems from the gemstore.....

Not all of us require external validation from others to feel good.  In this game, we have the opportunity to acquire cosmetics for the simple enjoyment having a certain aesthetic for our characters.  Exempli gratia, I don't care what anyone else thinks of me or what my characters look like.  I only care that I, alone, like it.  I do not require others fawning over me to enjoy cosmetics.

I'm glad that ArenaNet caters to this rather than feeding into externally-derived self-validation.  

I'm against any form of cosmetics that are locked out on the sole basis of being a positional good;, id est, the value of the cosmetic is based on the number of individuals that don't have it simply so that those that do have it can lord over those that don't have it.   

Yes, this is just my opinion and is neither right or wrong, nor is it reflective of anyone else's opinion.

I prefer a customization system that allows me to customize characters on what I want without regard for what anyone else does with their characters.  Also, I do not care about any "prestige" items that other players have.  It's meaningless to me.

The sole exception is if there is an item that can only be obtained by players who used only their nose (no hands or feet) to play the game.  In which case, I have many, many questions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2