If you beat the Dragon's End meta for the Turtle mount - your headache isn't over just yet.

19 minutes ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

Not a strawman, merely an observation about regarding a number of people that claim to want to quit because they can't get their turtle..  

Not the same thing.

If a restaurant sells me a burrito/enchilada/taco combo plate, and I'm upset to find I don't get the taco, that doesn't mean I spent the price of a meal on the taco. And it'd be perfectly reasonable to send the plate back and walk away from that restaurant.

Of course, the analogy isn't perfect, since the taco is technically on the plate. It's just that we expected to pick it up and eat it like we've eaten a thousand tacos before, and the restaurant insists we use chopsticks.

Like I said, not perfect.

But your statement that people are bragging about buying a virtual turtle for $30 was indeed a straw man.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 5
  • Confused 3

23 minutes ago, Kitta.3657 said:

Earn your reward for once.

some prefer to complain until Anet changes it. This is a sad mentality. The time they spent complaining, they could do the strike missions ten times. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 12

The "hard mode" strike is a normal mode strike thats healable by a celebrand an requires you doing all of 1 mechanic (technically 2 if "dont stand on the arrow" counts as 1)

I've been running people through the strike, including a few people who have never done strikes/raids, its been fun seeing them go "oh, this isnt bad at all". 

the actual difficult parts of the achievement once you have the egg is either

Jade Maw: an event that scales so horrifically that if even half your map needs it, its unkillable

or

Seitung meta: an event that bugs out and makes it nearly unkillable a fair amount of the time if people open the chests before the boss dies. 

Edited by Barraind.7324
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

39 minutes ago, Cynder.2509 said:

Strike mission for the turtle is actually pretty easy. Well, if you don't have people ragequitting your after one wipe... 
Just tag up and advertise as chil run or everyone welcome. 
However strike missions are a joke in general because they barely even touch raid difficulty and even raids are pretty easy when compared with raids from other mmos. 

Yeah this. Did exactly the same thing and got maybe 30min to an hour of tries. The meta is the most annoying part of the collection everything else is easyish.

Actually liked the Strike mission, wasn't an RNG kitten like meta, but had learnable patters and mechanics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Called it. It went "Nerf Meta" > "Nerf Jade Maw" and now we're at "Nerf Strikes".

That's all good and stuff, but the alternative didn't please players either. Gryphon was "too expensive" and Skyskale was "too time consuming".
No matter what they try, it's never well received unless it's instant gratification 😕

But instant gratification itself leads to more demands, and more disappointments. You gotta pick a gate at some point.

Also, I see everyone making up statistics about how many casual players there are. What are the sources? I don't believe anet ever commented on that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

I think some of you are not getting that people ARE doing the metas and strikes for the turtle mount; many of those players don't want to do it, but they are, as you put it 'git gud' ... however!  so many of them are buggy as hell and it a matter of luck of you manage to complete them and it gives you the reward. Its not fun to wait for a meta or a group for strikes do everything right but the problem is in the game itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, zealex.9410 said:

they lock mounts no?

I didn't play FFXIV so I don't know how things work there, but raids in WoW don't scale, while item level of gear increases in each patch and player level increases in each expansion. Your group can ignore almost all mechanics of a raid from earlier patches of the current expansion, and for earlier expansions you can walk in all by yourself to kill raid bosses with a single hit for a chance of mount or gear appearances from that raid to drop, even for highest difficulty for each raid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

For me it is not about difficulty, it is about forcing me to do content i don't like to do in a game which i play for the very reason that instanced group content is optional and nothing important is locked behind it. It feels bad.

I am grown up and i don't need "encouragement" to do different game modes. I do everything i find fun. Reason why i don't do strikes or raids is because i don't want to, not because i would be so dim i haven't thought of doing them or that i would be out of courage to do them.

I got my turtle egg on friday afternoon and had my turtle collection done very late same night. Yes i did the strike. No, it didn't turn me curious about the strike content or in any way encouraged to do more of them. Quite opposite, it left me bitter about having to do that and very worried if this game will fling the same poo to me again when next mount or other item of open world player interest comes out.

One final thought to the end. I wonder why Anet is so keen to get more and more people into instanced content. Their golden egg is fun large scale open world content (including WvW here), they are the game that does it the best in the game industry. Why try so hard to pull people from open world to small instances? It seems like a bad idea to alienate your main audience in attempt to compete on game mode that so many mmorpgs offer and are more famous for while destroying the very thing which you do the best.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, radium.7350 said:

For me it is not about difficulty, it is about forcing me to do content i don't like to do in a game which i play for the very reason that instanced group content is optional and nothing important is locked behind it. It feels bad.

I am grown up and i don't need "encouragement" to do different game modes. I do everything i find fun. Reason why i don't do strikes or raids is because i don't want to, not because i would be so dim i haven't thought of doing them or that i would be out of courage to do them.

I got my turtle egg on friday afternoon and had my turtle collection done very late same night. Yes i did the strike. No, it didn't turn me curious about the strike content or in any way encouraged to do more of them. Quite opposite, it left me bitter about having to do that and very worried if this game will fling the same poo to me again when next mount or other item of open world player interest comes out.

One final thought to the end. I wonder why Anet is so keen to get more and more people into instanced content. Their golden egg is fun large scale open world content (including WvW here), they are the game that does it the best in the game industry. Why try so hard to pull people from open world to small instances? It seems like a bad idea to alienate your main audience in attempt to compete on game mode that so many mmorpgs offer and are more famous for while destroying the very thing which you do the best.

Exactly this, I don't do the strikes because I don't enjoy them, I too have done it just for the achievement and I'm not planning to step foot in a strike ever again, it's just not my kind of content so stop forcing it on me.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I am still left wondering to why the objecting people is so aching for the turtle, when its not something meant for a soloist. But something meant to play with another to man the cannon in overworld pve group content.

Ironically enough, out of all the map metas, its Dragon's End that makes the best use out of the Siege Turtles. I cannot not name any other map meta where they are useful at all.

Edited by LucianDK.8615
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

6 hours ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

I'm 59, please stop the agism.  It's disgusting.

There is no ageism here, you're being offended over absolutely nothing.   If you need to find offense in everything, I'm sorry but that is not my issue.

3 hours ago, radium.7350 said:

I'm guessing its because since they released HoT, there's been a raiding community they has been under-served content.   There's the dilemma that if they make raid content, the much larger open world crowd will be bored, but if they make raid content, they can't justify the dev hours on the much smaller community of raiders.

So they tried to wriggle their way out by attempting to persuade more people to do raid content.    

Edited by Ruisen.9471
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

7 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Not the same thing.

If a restaurant sells me a burrito/enchilada/taco combo plate, and I'm upset to find I don't get the taco, that doesn't mean I spent the price of a meal on the taco. And it'd be perfectly reasonable to send the plate back and walk away from that restaurant.

Of course, the analogy isn't perfect, since the taco is technically on the plate. It's just that we expected to pick it up and eat it like we've eaten a thousand tacos before, and the restaurant insists we use chopsticks.

Like I said, not perfect.

But your statement that people are bragging about buying a virtual turtle for $30 was indeed a straw man.

Nope, it's not a strawman. I'm just saying a lot of people seem to have paid $30 for a virtual turtle.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, Ruisen.9471 said:

There is no ageism here, you're being offended over absolutely nothing.   If you need to find offense in everything, I'm sorry but that is not my issue.

I'm guessing its because since they released HoT, there's been a raiding community they has been under-served content.   There's the dilemma that if they make raid content, the much larger open world crowd will be bored, but if they make raid content, they can't justify the dev hours on the much smaller community of raiders.

So they tried to wriggle their way out by attempting to persuade more people to do raid content.    

It absolutely is agism.  It's like saying people under 30 are too stupid to be able to speak properly.

• Confused 3

Note: I don't even have the turtle collection unlocked, but I did the strike anyways for fun. I personally found it fairly easy (my no-requirements pug did it in 2 tries, with 4 brand new people including myself). As easy as I thought it was, I can also see how a very large chunk of players would find it much more challenging than what they usually like to do.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the problem is NOT that the metas are annoying or that the strike is a bit harder than what a lot of folks are used to.

The problem is that ANet

1. Compared the turtle collection to the beetle collection (the latter being very solo friendly), but
  2. delivered a turtle collection that is not as solo friendly as the beetle collection.

It's quite simple, really. If you tell your customers you're doing (1), then... kittening do (1). If you always planned on doing (2), kittening tell your customers you're gonna do (2).

Edited by voltaicbore.8012
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

I just want to say, since seige turtle is a useful mount only as a team player, as a solo player its not much use. So it makes sense that u need to do party events (like strike or meta event) to unlock the turtle. The only issue here is the DE meta time taken and harder to complete.

Edited by Blue D Phoenix.7260
repeated words
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Blue D Phoenix.7260 said:

I just want to say, since seige turtle is a useful mount only as a team player, as a solo player, its not much use. So it makes sense that u need to do party events (like strike or meta event) to unlock the turtle. It makes sense doesnt it, the only issue here is the DE meta time taken and harder to complete.

But they are cute!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Ruisen.9471 said:

Difficulty is pretty subjective.

As a person in my 20's, learning raid mechanics isn't hard for me.   But that's definitely not true for alot of people.   In a different MMO, I was raiding with a group that had middle aged/older people, and the things I would consider braindead easy are really difficult for them.    They could barely react to simple mechanics while playing classes where you essentially just press 11111111, and that's after weeks of practice every single day.

Its easy to assume that something easy for you must be easy for everyone, but that is definitely not the case.

I turned 67 the day this expansion was released. Great birthday present. I've been playing online games apparently longer than you have been alive. I don't do raids or strike missions, not because I can't learn the mechanics. Its because of this type of attitude. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

On 3/6/2022 at 10:37 AM, Kalocin.5982 said:

I find it kind of funny that even FFXIV and WoW doesn't lock anything behind their higher difficulty content other than gear lol

The whole concept of collections in GW2 is out of hand, IMO. Maybe I thought wrong to begin with, but I thought the spirit of it in the beginning was to do a scavenger hunt of sorts. Go do and find things that relate to what you're making/completing. Then we get collections where it seems the point is just to trick you into doing content you don't want to do by getting you invested in it before you realize what the requirements are in full. At that point, it's not even a scavenger hunt, so much as just a list of content to complete. Which is handy for them getting people to show up for obscure stuff long past its expiration date, but abuses the hell out of the collections system (again, IMO).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, yoni.7015 said:

Even people who only play open world can play one (!) strike mission. I don’t know the intention behind it, but maybe they did it so that everyone even once try a strike mission. And who knows, maybe some will like it and do them more often. strike missions were advertised for this expansion so it’s only natural that they want to include them in the collection for the turtle. 

and all the hardcores could get their preferred difficulty by using suboptimal gear and builds..but they simply DONT LIKE TO PLAY THAT WAY.. this is exactly the same. its not a matter of what they CAN do. its a matter of FUN.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

I am still left wondering to why the objecting people is so aching for the turtle, when its not something meant for a soloist. But something meant to play with another to man the cannon in overworld pve group content.

This is not a matter of being a "soloist". It is about people who prefer to play in large map with 50-100 people and don't want to limit their playing space and company into room sized map with 10 people. My turtle has never been without canooner in any open world event i have pulled it out. In the strike i can't even use it.

2 hours ago, Blue D Phoenix.7260 said:

I just want to say, since seige turtle is a useful mount only as a team player, as a solo player its not much use. So it makes sense that u need to do party events (like strike or meta event) to unlock the turtle. The only issue here is the DE meta time taken and harder to complete.

People have not been complaining that it is IN the meta event, but about various aspects of the said meta (lenght versus success rate, rng in difficulty level etc).  Open world player is not any less "team player" than someone who plays in 10 man groups.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

You really have trouble understanding there are more options than A) handed out “for free” and Z) requiring instanced group content, don’t you?

And you really have trouble understanding not everything in life is given the way you want it to be. You only have to play it once. This isnt the end of the world. 

You people are free to complain and cry that the world is unfair and everything, but in the end of the day, I and many other player had to work through all of this whether we like it or not and suceeded. We now have our turtle and I personnally keep participating in ED event because I find it fun and because I want more people to have their turtle. I will keep doing Kaineng event because it doesnt really look too hard and the reward is good. But if you, the people who want the turtle, refuses to make any effort, that is fine by me. You will be the one missing on the turtle, not me nor the people who keep trying. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 8

The strike isn't raid content. It's a normal mode strike which has 0 timers in it and 0 instakill mechanics. With enough healing/support you can facetank almost everything thrown at you with no timer pressure. Sure your run might take upwards of 30 minutes doing so but it's safe and only takes learning the patterns to brute force it.

I'm speaking from experience here as i joined a casual group today that had 2 Heal Brands (I was one) 2 Heal Scourge, a Mechanist using the support bot and a Condi Support Spectre. The rest of the players were DPS. Ironically the 4 dead a the end of the encounter were the DPS because they made mistakes and openly acknowledged it. We all had fun and learned.

I understand that this type of thing isn't for everyone but if you're just looking to get it done and have the time to do so you can play this safe and have way less of a headache.

Now i know this will be a highly looked at as, well yes but... you're ignoring that we just don't want to play strikes but i'm not. I also am not fond of strikes. I understand this type of content isn't everyones favorite and that nothing anyone says will change that. However, there's something that needs to be said about being honest and not labeling it a challenge mode or even raid content. It's not anywhere on par with either of those. It is an inconvience to those that don't want to do strikes/group content and while i personally went out and completed it i wouldn't be opposed to it being changed to allowing for the story mode version of the fight (Sans Aurene's Buff)  to be used as a suitable substitute.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4