Is this really a QoL MMO?

6 hours ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

People buy expansions and rejoice over the quality of life improvements. Truth is, it's not "real" quality of life.

People say mounts were the best qol ever. Except that PoF maps were artificially stretched out land to make travel less OP.

The quality of life happens when people take the new stuff from the expansions, and apply them to older content.

So ya'll love powercreep. Cool.

And those bag slot expansions? Why do you think this game has so much trash loot? To fill your bags up so you buy bag slots.

Except mounts DID make everything easier, since HoT and core world weren't designed around mounts. Also, the maps are similar in size, it was the lack of WPs that made it seem stretching.

• Like 1

I don't even have 20 slot bags on my characters. They all have 18 slot bags, no extra bag slots, and I only have a problem if I completely ignore my inventory for a while.

Deposit Materials

Salvage All

Sell Junk whenever you see a vendor

Clean bags!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

People buy expansions and rejoice over the quality of life improvements. Truth is, it's not "real" quality of life.

I dunno about that, I prefer it when they have a proper interface in the game itself.

People say mounts were the best qol ever. Except that PoF maps were artificially stretched out land to make travel less OP.

You would have a point, if you could only use mounts in PoF. It makes traveling in previously existing content much easier.

I mean of course the PoF maps were designed around mounts.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

The game has kinda changed. Back in 2015 you could hotjoin 5-10 minute fractals or just open up one of the seven silverwastes maps. Nowadays on off-hours you're looking at 100 empty lfg tags sans the 3 raid sellers, the 250+ kp moron, the one guy who still needs arah story.

TL;DR EDIT FOR THE CONFUSED FACES: I'm saying the LFG tabs needs another purge. That'd be a great QOL update, in my books. Better than an "expansion level feature", even. The OP is right in that the only "QoL" we get is more efficient loot and powercreep, ignoring other facets of the game like the 30 or so LFG tabs that rarely see activity.

Edited by Westenev.5289
  • Confused 6

13 hours ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

The quality of life happens when people take the new stuff from the expansions, and apply them to older content.

And those bag slot expansions? Why do you think this game has so much trash loot? To fill your bags up so you buy bag slots.

Sadly the GW2 forum is an echo chamber so there's little point in complaining about anything but the most glaring of issues (and even then you'll have people get irritated at you for pointing them out).

Real QoL changes like: proper optimisation, bug fixes (older content), colour blind support, customisable UI / cursor, etc have never come to pass (or been completed) for very obvious reasons - more resources are put elsewhere and the usual spaghetti code excuse. Point this out and few will agree because bias will always reign supreme when talking about any passionate undertaking. And I've said it before: fewer WPs to justify mount use just leads to dead spots on the map - with edge of map areas and points further from WPs being the least visited (though this is worst in maze-like maps).

• Like 2
  • Confused 6

They added mounts but also made the maps artificially bigger. So you still spent the same time getting from a to b.

Did this argument make sense in your head when you came up with it?  Surely you don't spend much time walking from one side of a map to the other?  I mean, we do have waypoints, you know?

Mounts are not just a QoL upgrade.  They're just plain fun to move about with.  That's why GW2's mount system is considered the gold standard in the MMO industry and why WoW just announced they're straight up ripping off the griffon and skyscale for their next expansion!

"And we're talking about something new..."  🤣

Edited by AliamRationem.5172
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Holgarf.6581 said:

Real QoL changes like: proper optimisation, bug fixes (older content), colour blind support, customisable UI / cursor

From what I've seen in threads about those things, there's not much argument against them. The most resistance you'd probably get is on your second point with people saying they'd rather have time spent on new content rather than fixing old.

But the OP didn't bring up any of those things. Mounts and bag slots seem to be the source of irritation, as far as I can tell from the  sentence salad.

And contentious threads that go 20 pages before they eventually get closed when they devolve into pointless circles of arguments about arguing are hardly the definition of "echo chamber".

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

The mounts are useless if the map is made longer for them. Going back to older zones and having mounts... that's what makes them useful.

Right because kitten exploration right. Let's just put everything in one room for the ultimate QoL, why dont we? It'd be something like:

QoL improvement: exploration is no longer necessary and you can now do all content inside this single room. just pick from the dropdown menu.

Sounds fun

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Yeah! I hate when games add features that make the game more fun and better to play.  I wish the devs would take away all our backpacks, and just give us pants pockets. And shoot the kitten mounts - permanently break our avatars legs, and let us crawl.  That will teach us a lesson. 😎

</sarcasm>

But seriously the OP is a troll or joke post, right? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

On 4/19/2022 at 1:37 AM, HowlKamui.5120 said:

It makes sense for the maps that came along with the mounts to utilize the mounts, no? Mounts aren't merely QoL, they're a feature of the game. It wouldve been so boring if the mounts came out and the maps that came with it wasnt designed for the mounts.

QoL is legendary armor not being stronger than ascended and is stat-selectable. QoL is your gear not getting useless when a new expansion or update arrives because it isn't vertical progression. QOL is being able to change traits and specializations on the fly without having to go somewhere or pay a fine.

This is precisely where I lost interest in lotro. Don’t get me wrong, I love the ‘world’ of guild wars, but I love middle earth more. But when my gear that I grinded hundreds of hours for became useless every time a new update came out, I stopped at Rise of Isengard. The creep was so insane that open works common drops of two or three levels above were better than the raid gear of the previous level cap

guild wars 2 has its flaws (currently looking at the wickedly overpowered mechanist in competitive…) but they broke this cycle. They also made all open world content soloable by any class, any play style. 

also mounts are, as mentioned, NOT QoL. They are required to even advance the story in certain parts of PoF. They are a feature, that OFFERS potential QoL/convenience when applied to content designed before their implementation 

• Like 4

On 4/19/2022 at 7:41 AM, lezbefriends.7516 said:

1. Trash loot = easy gold. Besides, they introduced containers in 2017 to reduce the space used up in your inventory.
2. Who said people loved powercreep and, more importantly, what does it have to do with the topic (i.e., QoL)?
3. Mounts were useful in PoF and later content as well, so...

I'm confused over your arguments.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Westenev.5289 said:

The game has kinda changed. Back in 2015 you could hotjoin 5-10 minute fractals or just open up one of the seven silverwastes maps. Nowadays on off-hours you're looking at 100 empty lfg tags sans the 3 raid sellers, the 250+ kp moron, the one guy who still needs arah story.

TL;DR EDIT FOR THE CONFUSED FACES: I'm saying the LFG tabs needs another purge. That'd be a great QOL update, in my books. Better than an "expansion level feature", even. The OP is right in that the only "QoL" we get is more efficient loot and powercreep, ignoring other facets of the game like the 30 or so LFG tabs that rarely see activity.

Again a post throwing around the term QoL without understanding what that even means. 

Thats why you get [Confused]. 

You are not necessarily wrong but nothing you said makes sense in the context of QoL. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/19/2022 at 7:41 AM, lezbefriends.7516 said:

And in the game Doom in 1993 developers artificially added monsters to the maps, and gave you a gun to deal with them.

That's totally artificiall stretching the time you spend on those maps, why, without the mosters, you could have just ran to the exit.

Such bad design!

Who would have thought that developers in games put obstacles to overcome, and give players the tools to overcome them?

Why, they could have just, instead of artificially stretching the maps, give you a button to press to win the game.

But that's also artificially stretching it, i mean, you need a button to press.

Just log in, and win the game.

Still too artificially stretched though... 🙄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Again a post throwing around the term QoL without understanding what that even means. 

Thats why you get [Confused]. 

You are not necessarily wrong but nothing you said makes sense in the context of QoL. 

So QoL means moar loot moar powah at the expense of gaming experience and ease of access to content. Gotcha.

Edited by Westenev.5289
  • Confused 3

On 4/21/2022 at 2:06 AM, Jin.8501 said:

Its opposite of QOL game. Hence the itemshop. It's sole reason is to exist is to provide that QOL for a price

I disagree wholeheartedly, since you can't really buy direct ingame benefits unless you convert gems to gold.

EDIT: In hindsight, I might be wrong. Salvage-o-matics, unbreakable tools, material storage and universal inventory slots are unmistakably QoL features that come with a rather hefty price tag.

Edited by Westenev.5289
  • Like 1