Was BL chest key removed as reward for map completion?

I was wondering the same, because I completed some maps (including PoF and EoD) in past few days and I haven't got a single BLC key... until yesterday. I finally got 1 key from Kaineng... and my BLC loot was 1g coin and 2s worth rare dye.

Wiki says chances are +/- 30%. Seems like we are unlucky.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It is still dropping. I had maybe three BL chest keys drop through map completion in the last three days, completing maybe six maps. Given the small sample size we are all working with here, I say what you observed is perfectly in line with what could happen randomly. Frustrating, but not out of line. GL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Anyandrell.6238 said:

I completed 8 (eight) maps yesterday, ranging from beginner to lvl 80. Not a single BL chest key in the reward, just transmutation thingies. The ratio before was about 50% chance. Now, after the last update, it seems to be zero.

Same i wondered the same, been a week of map completions and not a single key..

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Might just be bad RNG streak, which unfortunately can happen with RNG systems (part of why they are a questionable system to begin with, statistically some will draw the short end of the straw just because, which isn't fair at all).

Personally, I remember coming back to the game and getting them pretty frequently doing LW3 & 4 maps, and then more recently, getting them much more rarely. I figure I just got a lucky streak when I came back and after that, it normalized. Which may be what happened to you. Map completion is so infrequent that it'd be virtually impossible for any one person to get it to happen in a high enough quantity to guarantee it averaging out. I think the closest somebody could do is get a ton of maps that can award BL keys to like one POI away from completion or something and then finish them all in as quick succession as possible. That might be enlightening as to averages. Better though would be if Anet just told us.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Some maps will not drop any key(cities) and some maps will not drop any key if the character is below lv80.

The actual rate is probably still 1/3 from back when there was two different type of transmutation stones. If there are 100 people doing map completion together 4 of them will get 0 keys in 8 maps.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thing to keep in mind is that with a ~30% chance to drop, there's a ~70% chance it won't drop. And that's for every individual map you do. Even if a player did every key-dropping map in the game in a single day, each of those maps have the same 30/70 chance to drop a key upon completion. That ratio on each map doesn't change regardless of the number of maps completed.

Anecdotally, taking the 3 members of my home that play the game shows how widely one's luck can vary:

My wife sits right about at that wiki statistic of 30/70.

My daughter on the other hand, seems to hit about 75/25 ... so rather obviously loves doing map completion.

And then me; I want to say it's better than 10%, but not close to 20%. So not such a fan of map completion :classic_tongue:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

One question OP was it level 80 maps and your character was not level 80?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Key_farming

Chance for a key from level 80 map rewards is limited to level 80 characters

A Black Lion Key is given for completing Setting the Stage in the Personal Story at level 40 and the level 60 story instance The Battle of Claw Island. These key rewards are not time gated.

A Black Lion Key is rewarded at the end of Living Season 2 Episode 6 -- Tangled Paths -- which can be done by a new character if any character on the account has completed it before.

A Black Lion Key is earned at the end of Heart of Thorns story step 11 -- Roots of Terror -- which requires each character to have completed the previous 10 steps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Anyandrell.6238 said:

I completed 8 (eight) maps yesterday, ranging from beginner to lvl 80. Not a single BL chest key in the reward, just transmutation thingies. The ratio before was about 50% chance. Now, after the last update, it seems to be zero.

Just bad luck. I received plenty when playing through EoD again on my various characters.

• Confused 1

The drop rate has never been 50% and I've completed every single map on 15 characters.  The last four maps I completed didn't give me a key, but I had a lot of keys just before that. It's just RNG.

My experience is about 1 in 5 maps, not including city maps, give you keys.

Edited by Vayne.8563
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1