Anyone else play a specialization that they suck at?

I'll go first: I'm currently maining a Weaver, and I am flat out terrible at it. I cannot remember the skills, I routinely forget which elements I'm currently using (thus swapping to bad combinations on the next change), I am constantly dying even in PvE because I forget that the thing is a glass cannon with absolutely zero sustain. Overall, I'm just bad. But I really, really like the aesthetic, and the playstyle is almost a siren's song - aggressively baiting me with "wow, this might be really cool if you keep at it!... too bad you suck, though."

I can't be the only one doing this.

Edited by Shrike Arghast.3856
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Noob:"Man, you have 15k Hours, over 41k AP and you are full legendary. You must be a really good player then!"

Me: "Yep! Watch THIS!" ( Spams all the AoE CDS from scourge under the enemy blob)

Noob: " WOW! You did so much dmg!"

Me: "I know what im doing." (Nervous sweating)

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281
  • Like 5
  • Haha 15

4 hours ago, Shrike Arghast.3856 said:

I'll go first: I'm currently maining a Weaver, and I am flat out terrible at it. I cannot remember the skills, I routinely forget which elements I'm currently using (thus swapping to bad combinations on the next change), I am constantly dying even in PvE because I forget that the thing is a glass cannon with absolutely zero sustain. Overall, I'm just bad. But I really, really like the aesthetic, and the playstyle is almost a siren's song - aggressively baiting me with "wow, this might be really cool if you keep at it!... too bad you suck, though."

I can't be the only one doing this.

i mainly play SD Weaver, been doing so for years, weaver is surprisingly tanky / bunkerish  with right stats / gear.

For Pvp i play Sage amulet + Weaver  Rune

and  for anything else i play Celestial +  Antitoxin rune.

so here's 3 key ingridients to become a tanky weaver beside of stats + gear -

bolstered  elements (trait) in weaver +  stone resonance (utility) + primordial stance (utility) = so much barrier that u  shouldnt  die in pve unless u  tryin something that isnt meant to be soloed .

Enjoy .

Edited by Xaint.7461

I tend to ask myself a question of what I would prefer:

Do I want to to awesome damage, or do I want to enjoy the ride..?

Sometimes those two meet in the middle.

Some of the vids and guides can show you awesome rotations for huge numbers.  Personally, unless I am wvw’ing, or going instanced content, I find a build that lets me just play through.  Marauder’s is my go to for damage, as it gives me more health.  

Many of the slot skills I use depend on the area as I’ll swap out more evades for damage depending on my comfort with an area.  Then I just work on getting comfortable with the skills I use regardless of their damage.  

I think some players pay less attention to where they are in relation to the enemy than they should.  Positioning is a skill that REALLY helps most of the ele specializations.

Also, if you want ele help, you might try posting in the professions forum.  Just be prepared for some….  Well..  just take everything with a grain of salt 🙂

• Like 1

I'm a very casual, OWPvE player so I don't play any META builds or anything.  There are some professions/e-specs that I just don't get so yeah I suck at those.  But then, I just don't play 'em.  For whatever reason(s), they just don't work in my mind.  There are plenty of other professions/e-specs to tinker with, so I don't bother playing ones that I'm no good at playing.  My limited on-line time would be wasted.

Most of the ones on which I choose not to focus are professions/e-specs that (to me) seem to be more designed for group or instanced content.  As a mostly solo player, they just don't work well for me.  For example, as a ranger main, why would I choose to run druid for mostly solo play when practically any other ranger-centric build will work better?  I might swap to my druid build for a world boss event or some other event where there are a lot of other players (Joko's minions comes to mind), but for everything else the druid spec just isn't for me.  /shrug

Same with the latest thief e-spec from EoD.  Just can't wrap my mind around how it plays -- for me, anyway.

• Like 1

I play Spell"breaker" again since the (albeit small) dagger buffs, yet I'm not too competent at using Full Counter.

And I don't do rotations, I press what I feel like pressing.

However, I don't know if that counts for you as "sucking" at Spellbreaker in accordance to the thread title.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1

All of them?

I'm not that good on anything, including my main character (ranger, currently untamed). I can get through the story and open-world stuff, and I've managed to not die too much in some raids and T1-3 Fractals, but I wouldn't consider myself that good on any of my 11 characters. (Which is looking likely to be 13 soon.)

• Like 2

Yes, elementalist.

...oh, you said specialization. Well, once I start playing Tempest and Weaver, I will undoubtedly be even worse at it. Still going to try!

During the beta tests for the EoD elite specs, Specter was the worst for me. My main's a thief, so I was excited for that one...and I could not figure out how to play it. My poor thief was just wildly waving his oversized scepter around like a nerf bat, with appropriate sound effects: WHIFF WHIFF WHIFF [teleport!] WHIFF WHIFF WHIFF "am I doing anything yet?" WHIFF WHIFF [teleport!] WHIFF WHIFF "hey stop attacking me!" WHIFF WHIFF [frantic heal!] WHIFF WHIFF "oh crud I'm going to--" WHIFF ACK OW GAAAAHHHCCCKKKK....

...rinse and repeat.

I play solo pve 90% of the time... I dont run meta builds, and have no interest in "looking up rotations and maxing my dmg"   I have a job in real life, I play this as an escape from that, so NO I wont spend my time researching stuff and working my kitten off just so I can put up big numbers.   Does this mean I may suck at any specific build I may be running?   Sure to some it may, but I really dont care as long as I am having fun when I load up the game.    Some people seem to forget this is a game and take it waaaaaaaay too seriously

• Confused 2

15 minutes ago, Ariurotl.3718 said:

I suck at the game in general, the proper rotation non-user skill clicker kind of player.

Ahh my people have spoken!  Lol summarizes me in a nut shell.  

I look up the builds, the rotations, etc.  Then just mash buttons and see what happens.  Close enough.  

I've settled for "doesn't die a lot, and things die in a reasonable time frame" style but then I'm mostly open world lol.  

I dabbled with vindicator.  Was it bad.  Was I bad.  Who knows.  Finished EoD with it, went back to renegade.

• Like 2