Add auto-pathing to the game?

rune.9572

Yo anet, is it possible to add auto-pathing like raptor taxi in Seitung but with any destination by clicking it on the map? So I could just click a spot and chill while my character goes there, instead of same old boring waypointing everywhere 24/7.

inb4 "but that would enable botting": botters already have this.

inb4 "raptor taxi is just on a rail": yes Timmy, I know, I'm talking about the idea.

Edited by rune.9572
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 20

52 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

No idea why this is even a thing. First time I encountered it in a Korean game I almost fell out of my chair in disbelief.

Lord of the Rings Online uses it. It doesn’t cause any issues there. But, that replaces a waypoint system so auto path and fast travel are the only options for getting around there. I’m not seeing a reason for it in GW2 given how incredibly easy it is to get from point to point

• Like 5

3 hours ago, rune.9572 said:

Yo anet, is it possible to add auto-pathing like raptor taxi in Seitung but with any destination by clicking it on the map? So I could just click a spot and chill while my character goes there, instead of same old boring waypointing everywhere 24/7.

inb4 "but that would enable botting": botters already have this.

inb4 "raptor taxi is just on a rail": yes Timmy, I know, I'm talking about the idea.

Auto-pathing will defeat the purpose and fun of using mounts in many instances. Why not just instant teleport to any NPC instead and get rid of exploring altogether? It's an idea but not a good idea, imo. Takes too much away from the game.

• Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Lord of the Rings Online uses it. It doesn’t cause any issues there. But, that replaces a waypoint system so auto path and fast travel are the only options for getting around there. I’m not seeing a reason for it in GW2 given how incredibly easy it is to get from point to point

I don't know about issues, I was just flabbergasted that anyone would want the game to auto-walk their character to the next quest point. Then again, I was left scratching my head over a lot of things, like game supported afk training, where you set your character to autoattack a dummy, logged off, then came back to having levelled up.

This kind of "I want the game to play itself" stuff is just so polar opposite to what I enjoy in a game, and especially GW2.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Do you mean the slow stable routes?   For anyone not familiar, this is paying at a stable-master to get on a horse that rides thru the landscape to the destination stable, and you can dismount at any point along the way.  There isn't any glowy path like in some other games.  Also LOTRO has a feature for many (most?) quests that lets you pay with real-money currency (mithril coins) to return directly to the quest-giver.  I've never used that one myself.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

No idea why this is even a thing. First time I encountered it in a Korean game I almost fell out of my chair in disbelief.

Black Desert was the worst I seen of this since it was the only form of travel when I played it. The game literally expected people to AFK for an hour+ while they autopathed somewhere. 😬Technically teleporting existed but I recall it requiring you to log off for 1-2 hours while it does anyways. Absolute snooze of a game.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Doggie.3184 said:

Black Desert was the worst I seen of this since it was the only form of travel when I played it. The game literally expected people to AFK for an hour+ while they autopathed somewhere. 😬Technically teleporting existed but I recall it requiring you to log off for 1-2 hours while it does anyways. Absolute snooze of a game.

Yeah, BDO was the first time I saw this too. 

No thanks, i want to actually play the game. Not have it be an idle Korean MMO type thing where you just click buttons and your character does everything.

First it's auto pathing, then all of a sudden threads will pop up "well open world combat is easy, why not automate it".

You're playing the wrong game buddy.

Those games already exist, go play those.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Galmac.4680 said:

Ok, a raptor taxi in Tangled Depths would be ok (although impossible), but only for already visited places. But overall that would be just a nice-to-have-thing, with lowest priority.

Yeah, in LOTRO apart from the starter area entry point stables, you have to discover a stable master via exploration before you can use slow or swift travel to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cronospere.8143 said:

Didnt gw1 had auto pathing also? Option for click to move? I'm not sure.

GW1 has click-to-move, but that's a bit different from what's being described here because you have to click on the ground or on an NPC or object, meaning you have to be able to see it from your starting point. In the right circumstances you could go somewhere several seconds away with one click, but it's not like a raptor taxi and certainly nothing like the 1hr+ journeys mentioned here.

(Also as mentioned the pathing wasn't very good, if you tried to go too far or along a 'complex' route with corners and obstacles to navigate it's very likely your character would get stuck.)

6 hours ago, SuavePuppy.2809 said:

If you really want to take the scenic route, set a binding for auto-run, turn on action cam, and move your mouse once in awhile

This is the closest I think GW2 is likely to get, and considering the OP said the problem with waypoints is they're boring it could be a good compromise.

I often don't use waypoints (unless I'm in a hurry) and that's exactly what I do when I'm running to places. Weirdly I use action-camera more often out of combat than when fighting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

GW1 has click-to-move, but that's a bit different from what's being described here because you have to click on the ground or on an NPC or object, meaning you have to be able to see it from your starting point. In the right circumstances you could go somewhere several seconds away with one click, but it's not like a raptor taxi and certainly nothing like the 1hr+ journeys mentioned here.

All old MMOs used mouse-clicks to move, target & fight, interact with NPC & objects. No auto-pathing, just as you mentioned.  Looking at some of the videos of MMOs that I used to play ages ago, makes you realize how far we've come especially with keybinds making everything so much simpler.

• Like 3

But why stop at auto-pathing? I mean bots also have auto-combat so we could also implement auto-combat then. And I mean if we already have auto-pathing and auto-combat then the next logical step would be auto-map completion. And for those more interested in crafting and economy we could also implement auto-crafting and auto-Trading Post. And and for the most daring and hardcore audience there would be auto-fractals, auto-strikes and of course auto-raids. And to be completely honest I wish the game would also auto-start when I turn on my computer and then auto-log in and auto-play itself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Mortime.1359 said:

But why stop at auto-pathing? I mean bots also have auto-combat so we could also implement auto-combat then. And I mean if we already have auto-pathing and auto-combat then the next logical step would be auto-map completion. And for those more interested in crafting and economy we could also implement auto-crafting and auto-Trading Post. And and for the most daring and hardcore audience there would be auto-fractals, auto-strikes and of course auto-raids. And to be completely honest I wish the game would also auto-start when I turn on my computer and then auto-log in and auto-play itself.

Turning your computer on yourself is so pre-auto. Get with the times!

• Haha 2