I didn't see a thread about these, so here we are. I think these are massively good additions to the game and will explain why in a moment, but feel free to share your own views below and let ArenaNet know what you think.

Why this outfit pack is excellent (imo):
- Fairly priced (1,200 gems for both outfits, a new emote tome, 5x dyes, and a total makeover kit - each item is also sold separately if you don't want the combo)
- Wide appeal (You don't have to like it, but you probably know someone who's thrilled today)
- A cohesive, uncomplicated look (this is the kind of thing outfits are best at)
- Fits the world of Tyria (We canonically have tea houses, maids, butlers, nobility, etc.)
- Asura and Charr toes are included in the design instead of being chopped off or clipping through
- Both versions can be worn by both genders 🎉

I'm not usually a fan of outfits (team armor pieces all the way), but if we have to have them, this is exactly the kind of design and functionality I want out of them. That last point in particular is something that's been driving me nuts for years; that you'll put on a pair of pants and watch it turn into three feathers glued to the thigh on a female model or you'll see a nice tunic but on male characters it turns into a potato sack. For wildly different looks, it's probably better to just make a different armor piece or outfit, and it finally happened in October, 2022. This is a massive win in the FashionWar.

If ArenaNet releases more armors and outfits that meet these conditions, I will buy them.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 13
  • Sad 2

idk what too say, is this the Gemstore Team baiting the entirety of GW2? Is it purposefully trying to agitate people? Or are there people who genuinely want their dudes to wear a maid outfit? Not like even a androgynous looking dude that JUST EVER SO SLIGHTLY M I G H T  work with a maid outfit, but just some beefy af Charr or Norn?

Also should edit in that the butler one is at least a little cool, but the thing with these outfits is that it doesn't change the fact outfits as a whole are just lazy.

Edited by SamuelW.2685
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 18
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, SamuelW.2685 said:

Or are there people who genuinely want their dudes to wear a maid outfit? Not like even a androgynous looking dude that JUST EVER SO SLIGHTLY M I G H T  work with a maid outfit, but just some beefy af Charr or Norn?

Yes, yes there are. A lot of people are extremely excited about it!!

And beefy men can enjoy feminine stuff too 🙂

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, SamuelW.2685 said:

idk what too say, is this the Gemstore Team baiting the entirety of GW2? Is it purposefully trying to agitate people? Or are there people who genuinely want their dudes to wear a maid outfit? Not like even a androgynous looking dude that JUST EVER SO SLIGHTLY M I G H T  work with a maid outfit, but just some beefy af Charr or Norn?

Also should edit in that the butler one is at least a little cool, but the thing with these outfits is that it doesn't change the fact outfits as a whole are just lazy.

You do realize not all players are super serious? It’s a game. It’s supposed to be fun. Shocking I know!

And some players like to dress their beefy male characters feminine too. It’s their choice to do so and it should be respected. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Freya.9075 said:

My glorious male pink norn is pleased with these outfits! 

I can not wait to see a giant norn standing around in the maid's dress.  

While this is not something I would buy, have to say the butler outfit looks really nice on my lady charr.  Exceptional tailoring, anet. 

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

I love that both versions are available to both in-game genders and like the OP I hope this design philosophy will apply to future outfits.  I mostly will be using Butler, Maid has always struck me as foolish (it sort of made sense when it originated and female staff had to wear long skirts, but once it went to the short skirt version it became a costume rather than working garb).

My feedback is the dye channels.  I know there are only four to work with, and I'm not sure how to achieve this, but pants/coat/boots should not share one hue.  Especially the boots should be able to stand out.  It's also a little annoying having the vest and gloves share a hue, as anything cheerful for the vest becomes garish on the gloves (at least every dye I tried would go softer matte on the vest but nearly glowing on the gloves).

Right now the channels are coat/pants/boots, vest/gloves, shirt (with ruffled cuffs showing), and trim.  Maybe instead it could have been coat/pants, vest/trim, shirt/gloves, boots?  Which is also not perfect.  I'd love to be able to do coat and pants separately, but am not sure how to divvy things up so all the bits have a chance to contrast with each other.  But for future outfit design, shoe color should never be tied to garment cloth color.

Edited by Donari.5237
  • Like 4
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I was a bit disappointed with the butler outfit because for a while I've been wanting something for my male characters which could bridge the gap between things like the human common clothing or the pirate outfit and formal wear like the noble count or wedding outfits, something smart but not as fancy and I was hoping this was it, but I think it's too close to the existing formal outfits, which makes it redundant for me. I realise that's a very specific situation and not something I'd expect Anet to have anticipated but it was still a bit of a disappointment for me.

I like both both outfits can be worn by both genders and that does open up more options, but I'm not sure it's something my female characters would wear often.

The maid outfit isn't my thing at all, but not nearly as bad as I was imagining when I first heard about it, so that's good.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SamuelW.2685 said:

Dude, beefy charr and male norn look hilarious in maid outfit and I love it. Plus, many people DO have androgynous or trans characters. PLUS, if the butler outfit is available for both genders (as it should be) then it would be weird and phobic not to make the opposite true. 

If women can "dress like a man" and have it be perfectly acceptable, then men should also be able to "dress like a woman" and be accepted. The automatic -that's stupid- or -that's icky- response is culturally ingrained, and originates from the idea that it's shameful for a man to show feminine traits. Time for society to move beyond that, IMO

• Like 11
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Weindrasi.3805 said:

Dude, beefy charr and male norn look hilarious in maid outfit and I love it. Plus, many people DO have androgynous or trans characters. PLUS, if the butler outfit is available for both genders (as it should be) then it would be weird and phobic not to make the opposite true. 

If women can "dress like a man" and have it be perfectly acceptable, then men should also be able to "dress like a woman" and be accepted. The automatic -that's stupid- or -that's icky- response is culturally ingrained, and originates from the idea that it's shameful for a man to show feminine traits. Time for society to move beyond that, IMO

Well personaly I think they did it because charr/asura females would be stuck with male version if they did not.

2 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Well personaly I think they did it because charr/asura females would be stuck with male version if they did not.

Not all outfits do the male version for female charr/asura (the magical outfit is one that still uses the skirt version on female charr, same for the queensdale academy one) so it's definitely not for that reason.

• Like 1