Do you think we will get the spider mount at some point?

I saw some concept art about something like that and I think it would be cool to have a mount that can climb vertical surfaces. We can already climb almost every place with skyscale, but it still needs to land once in a while to fly higher. 

Maybe we will have a depths of tyria expansion and there we will find huge spiders which can become mounts? What do you think?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7

All the hardcore arachnophobes who already can't do that path in that one fractal with the giant spider because of their extreme phobia would be forced to quit the game if players suddenly had giant spiders they could ride around on at any time. 🙃

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

I still think that there should be a replacer toggle to turn all of the spiders ingame into the Halloween plastic spiders.  The legs don't move, it just kinda bounces from left to right as it moves forward.   At least I hope the plastic spider models wouldn't trigger arachnophobia.  I do not personally have a problem with the regular game spiders, but I think that the substitution would be cute and funny.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

I am an arachnophobe, but the ones we see in game dont bother me all that much. That said, after SotO's design made specific, previously optional,  mounts essentially mandatory I would rather not see any more mounts added to the game. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

I think it's very unlikely. They said they scrapped it because of some combination of the mechanics not working well enough and overlapping too much with other mounts. I suspect they came up with concepts for a whole load of different mounts, then picked the best ones to actually go into the game. If they start throwing all their old, redundant ideas into the game just for the sake of it the end result would be a mess.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, QueenKeriti.5176 said:

All the hardcore arachnophobes who already can't do that path in that one fractal with the giant spider because of their extreme phobia would be forced to quit the game if players suddenly had giant spiders they could ride around on at any time. 🙃

Add an "arachnophobia" option in the settings that makes them look silly and not scary. Grounded has it.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Wow, I didn't think I was an arachnophobe until I suddenly envisioned people on giant spiders crawling over everything... Replace the dozens of Skyscales we see flocking all over the place, with those creepy things?!  Kinda makes my skin crawl... LOL.

I admit that I would also love a no-nonsense climbing machine, but thinking that it would break so many areas where they've painstakingly come up with mechanics (or simply added 'no-go zones') to provide limitations on the Springer, Skyscale and Griffon... 

In line with the Spiderman theme, it would be cool to incorporate a built-in Oakheart Reach as a dismount feature, wouldn't it?  Crawling along on your spider and then... WHAP!  You leap from it's back and shoot upwards, Spiderman style!  

• Like 3

Probably not, as we can simply use skyscales or springers for vertical movement. Theoretically the idea of a spider climbing mount sounds pretty cool (I'd want to name mine Charlotte), but in practice the niche it would fill is already taken. It would be rather redundant at this point.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, andreiblue.8231 said:

Add an "arachnophobia" option in the settings that makes them look silly and not scary. Grounded has it.

It's not even about arachnophobia itself, more about:

On 4/4/2024 at 6:12 AM, Ashen.2907 said:

That said, after SotO's design made specific, previously optional,  mounts essentially mandatory I would rather not see any more mounts added to the game. 

We don't need to keep getting mounts which keep further breaking movement. Soon enough you'll just ask for no-gravity free movement through the air because "We can already ignore almost every piece of terrain with skyscale/spider, but they still need a wall". Maybe they'd do better to focus on a decent gameplay over gimmicks which trivialize or straight up dismantle large chunks of the content available in the game.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Rumpus.1234 said:

Grappling hooks are a lot of fun. Let me have one of those full time.

Full time in areas designed specifically around having them? Sure!
And maybe in town maps.

Full time anywhere? Naaah.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1