Update to Attribute-Selectable gear is coming. Thoughts?

@Gop.8713 said:

@Oldyoung.6109 said:when you put stuff into the mystic forge what comes out is an entirely new item; in this case a non stat select-able item.

This would make the most sense. AFAIK the game has no way of even determining where your gear came from 'originally'. Once it comes out of the forge it's like a new drop . . .

It's not like a new drop. It is a new drop. Either way, the original selectable item is gone.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Randulf.7614 said:Ok so educate me here because I’m zapped of energy and thought today.

What is affected that isn’t a legendary? Specific examples welcomed

I was translating it as ascended weapons/armor/jewelry and such that have the selectable stats. Picture the WvW ascended weapons/armor, the living story 3 ascended accessories you get with the zone currencies and such.

@TheGrimm.5624 said:I was translating it as ascended weapons/armor/jewelry and such that have the selectable stats. Picture the WvW ascended weapons/armor, the living story 3 ascended accessories you get with the zone currencies and such.

I'm pretty sure this extends to exo gear as well seeing as they mentioned that elite spec gear is omitted.

@Hashberry.4510 said:Reforged gear is a replacement, guess it would not be affected since its no longer stat selectable?

Neither is the gear with prefix though, can't select stats after doing it once.Hope you're right though and I think it makes sense

@Sneakr.3679 said:If gear is being reset then what happens to runes, sigils, agony resist, etcetera?? I have about 14 characters fully geared how am I supposted to go through em all and figure it out? If I lose socketed stuff ill be REALLY upset. Its been 6 years of hard work setting those characters up. Does this apply to ascended gear? The expense of pulling out all that stuff would be very prohibitive.

This should be fine, it'd only be the selectable stats that get reset, not the item itself. They could have stated this explicitly though. :anguished:

@Kanok.3027 said:Oh, did not see this was already posted. Lordy, my bad. lolAlways nice when threads get merged and they take a later one as OP :tongue:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@TwanBr.8340 said:Hi there! I just read about the upcoming changes to attribute-selectable gear and it left me with a question:

What happens to gear that had the Assaulter(/Defender/Healer/Malicious) prefix when obtained, but has later been manually stat-changed to, say, Minstrel?Will this former Assaulter gear then be reset and would I have to toss it in the mystic forge another time to make it Minstrel again? Or does it not count as Assaulter gear anymore and won't be reset at all with this change?

I'd rephrase this as:

What happens to reforged gear that started with selectable stats? Will it be treated as fixed? Or will one be forced to reselect?

I'd prefer to see an official comment rather than speculating. Regardless of how we parse the announcement, the reality will be based on whether one of the devs thought of this particular situation and coded accordingly.

Extremely unlikely since that would require maintaining a per item changelog.

@TwanBr.8340 said:

@Hashberry.4510 said:Reforged gear is a replacement, guess it would not be affected since its no longer stat selectable?

Neither is the gear with prefix though, can't select stats after doing it once.Hope you're right though and I think it makes sense

The key difference is that stat changing through the forge will change the items's id while selecting a stat does not.

@Sneakr.3679 said:If gear is being reset then what happens to runes, sigils, agony resist, etcetera?? I have about 14 characters fully geared how am I supposted to go through em all and figure it out? If I lose socketed stuff ill be REALLY upset. Its been 6 years of hard work setting those characters up. Does this apply to ascended gear? The expense of pulling out all that stuff would be very prohibitive.

This should be fine, it'd only be the selectable stats that get reset, not the item itself. They could have stated this explicitly though. :anguished:

It would be basically the same as that time when they changed the stat choices for some of the PoF elite spec weapons which also caused them to reset. I don't recall anyone mentioning that they lost an upgrade from that.

@Drarnor Kunoram.5180 said:On a related note, what happens to the Assualters/Healers items that have a stat combo that will be removed? For example, I have a Healer's weapon that I chose Zealot's stats on, which is getting removed from that name. Will I have to choose a totally different stat combo, or will it be left alone?

If the stats were selectable then yes, it will be removed. You'll have to choose a new set of stats that correlates with the prefix family

@"TwanBr.8340" said:Hi there! I just read about the upcoming changes to attribute-selectable gear and it left me with a question:

What happens to gear that had the Assaulter(/Defender/Healer/Malicious) prefix when obtained, but has later been manually stat-changed to, say, Minstrel?Will this former Assaulter gear then be reset and would I have to toss it in the mystic forge another time to make it Minstrel again? Or does it not count as Assaulter gear anymore and won't be reset at all with this change?

Don't hold your breath. As the announcement worded it, only unopened containers will be affected by the category change.

Another thing to keep in mind is how core/HoT/PoF stats have been constrained to specific content, meaning things like stat selectable trinkets and armor from other areas of the game will be affected in the update.

Thirdly you can only change stats on ascended gear using the forge, so far there is no "reset item" like there is for trinkets - given that the forge returns an entirely new item, any and all chances for it acting like the old (stat-selectable) one is gone.

In addition all stat combinations are available as forge recipes so it seems incredibly unlikely that they would make this conversion retroactive, as it would cost alot of players alot of gold to get their gear back. Which is just terrible design and customer treatment.

Hmm, any suggestions on a quick way to document current chosen stats? I have over 20 alts in at least full exotics and a lot came from selectables. I don't really need to rethink my builds, so I want to have an idea how I've built them before everything resets :) (I know I can just go alt to alt and hand write out all their gear choices, I'm wondering if someone has a quicker but not spreadsheet method).

@perilisk.1874 said:My takeaways: 1, now I can farm BFF for harrier's and grievers, so yay?. 2, I pity the poor player who comes back after a two-month break and can't figure out why their character is underperforming so badly.

Fortunately there is ...

If your equipped gear is affected, you will receive a hint reminding you to select attributes for it.

Of course there will be plenty of people who do not pay attention as well ...

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@perilisk.1874 said:My takeaways: 1, now I can farm BFF for harrier's and grievers, so yay?. 2, I pity the poor player who comes back after a two-month break and can't figure out why their character is underperforming so badly.

Fortunately there is ...

If your equipped gear is affected, you will receive a hint reminding you to select attributes for it.

Of course there will be plenty of people who do not pay attention as well ...

I remember after magic find was removed from gear... so many people who didn't pick their stats.(and similar behavior the couple of times ANet made substantial changes to traits that those has to be reselected)