Can we please get a SKYSCALE that has freedom of flight??

Can the devs please make the Skyscale with unlimited flight??? 

I find it so stupid that you cant even enjoy flight with the mount you worked so hard to earn only for it to glide down and not even stay in its altitude.. 

can you please make this mount like a true flying mount ??  I miss flying in pve like similar in world of warcraft... 

this sucks...

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 27
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, Sinister.5792 said:

I miss flying in pve like similar in world of warcraft... 

Yeah sorry buddy but you're the minority here. Flying in WoW is boring and killed map design so much even Blizzard decided to take it away and lock it behind an achievement that can't even be grinded until half the expansion is over.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

I agree with the OP, the skyscale is the clunkiest flying mount of all time, it is like riding a chicken, it can fly a bit but then falls out of the sky, add a mastery to give it permanent flight, currently I do not enjoy it at all. 

• Like 14
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 12
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Sinister.5792 said:

No.

I find it so stupid that you cant even enjoy flight with the mount you worked so hard to earn only for it to glide down and not even stay in its altitude.. 

I find it stupid that some people want to buff the mount that's already the most versatile anyways. If you want to "enjoy flying" for extended periods of time, get griffon and learn to properly use it.

this sucks...

Then don't get/use it.

Oh but you wanted to, so you did? Is it because it doesn't suck? Ok, cool.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

35 minutes ago, Sinister.5792 said:

as for someone who plays solely pvp... I have to grind to get this mount... and its the only way I enjoy pve... by flying around ... like riding a car in the city in night time... except im revvin up my skyscale

No, you don't have to. You wanted to, so you did.

And if you want to rev up something, rev up the beetle 😁

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 9
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Sinister.5792 said:

can you please make this mount like a true flying mount ??  I miss flying in pve like similar in world of warcraft... 

this sucks...

You already have a flying mount that has freedom of flight, it's called Griffon, you only need a bit of altitude and practice with diving

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The skyscale does effectively have unlimited flight if you know how to use it and have the global mount masteries. Sure it can't go all the way up into the skybox (unless it's starting off high or there's something for it to grab onto), but there's no need to do that from a gameplay perspective and allowing free flight would make map exploits and breaking out of maps even easier. It would also render terrain and mobs pointless as you could skip all of it—just go above the cloud layer, aim where you want to go, and hit auto-run.

But if you use the skyscale as intended, you can cross vast distances. Sure it's not as fast as the griffon when there's open space, but it gives you more control over where you go and you can pause if need be. LW4 and forward maps also have balls of volatile magic/karma that refresh your flight juice and stamina in certain areas so you can have extended flight.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

If Skyscale got infinite flight, as in no fatigue and no need to Wall Launch or touch ground to gain altitude, it might make the Griffon a little overpowered. All you'd need to do to fly at full Griffon speed would be to hold spacebar for 20 seconds on a Skyscale, use Bond of Faith, then mount the Griffon and Dive. People would probably end up being on their Griffons longer than on their Skyscales.

If by infinite flight you only meant that the Skyscale shouldn't lose altitude for flying forward, I don't think that would be an issue. Bond of Vigor already allows players to maintain their maximum altitude. It's just the cooldown that discourages players from using it that way. The Griffon can actually maintain a near constant altitude, if you dive up and down enough, but you need to be high enough to dive. Could make an okay mastery for the Skyscale to remove altitude loss from moving forward.

Edited by Quench.7091

The mounts we have now are bad enough. Flying removes a significant part of the game by trivializing mobility, and because of it we have all the really annoying high mob density & long aggro ranges that so many people hate. Maps felt a lot more interesting to explore and traverse back when we didnt have mounts.

• Like 11
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

Permanent flight would make 

a) the mount way less fun to use.

b) make the mount feel more necessary then it already does.

Honestly the point of gamedesign is to make interesting problems to overcome, and allowing full flying would do exactly the opposite. ( and even though i really like the skyscale, their is a good argument that the skyscale is to strong already.)

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Sinister.5792 said:

this sucks...

I played WoW for years and while I love the convenience of unlimited flight, I much prefer GW2's mount system because every mount has a distinctive feel and purpose.  There are a couple of mounts that have been overlapped a bit too much by other mounts and rarely get used, however.  Your suggestion would basically make that the case for every mount that isn't the skyscale.  That's no fun!

Also, I remember something I absolutely hated in WoW was the way they give you this great ability to fly unrestricted, but then every time they release new content they prevent you from using it until long after the release and only after completing some seriously grindy quest to unlock the ability you already have!

• Like 8

Agree with a lot of the people on here. Skyscale does not need "unlimited" flight. Once you have the masteries maxed on it and have Bond of Vigor, you can actually cross vast distances without stopping and without descending to any platform or ground level where there are mobs. All you need is to get used to planning your flight path to "tap" your skyscale's feet off any suitable treetops, ledges, roofs, etc in your flight path to reset your flight bar, and use Bond of Vigor on those really big stretches between those treetops, ledges, roofs, etc.

As for Griffon, so long as you start at a suitable height, and master using dive+dash/pull up to regain height after flying forwards for a while, griffon can literally remain in the air forever. So long as you have room to make the dive+dash/pull up and time the pull up correctly, you can climb back up to your original starting altitude with just a few dives. If you use Bond of Vigor, Bond of Faith, and Glider in conjunction with that method to keep your height between Bond of Vigor casts, you can actually climb up all the way up to the skybox ceiling on Griffon. It just takes a while and some practice.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Sinister.5792 said:

this sucks...

Hard NO.  The game's maps are not designed to allow true flight.  Mounts need to remain balanced to the game.  If you really want true flight, WoW is still online.

• Like 3

You can already do this in most places though with Griffon, if you keep diving and ascending you'll keep your height and your speed. Just find some sort of raised place, go to max height on a Skyscale or Springer -> Bond of Faith -> Griffon, and you'll always have space to nosedive and zoom zoom.

Also, you can fly for a really long time on Skyscale, and it's great for getting up places. I really don't think it needs to be able to keep the same altitude without doing anything.

If you're just looking for a lot of flying, I think you're looking for a Griffon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Skyscale was designed to be a vertical ascent mount with hover potential.  Works great, don't change it.  While it's fun to have a mount that is a pure flyer in other games, let's just keep it unique to GW2 with mounts that serve different functions. Also, don't ruin the usefulness of the other mounts by making them obsolete with a full flyer, aka WoW back in the day.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Back when I played WoW, WoW’s maps were boring with no substance (no idea what they’re like now). It was just auto running from one place to another while running around or through enemies. Maps had no gameplay or any interaction and ground mounts served no function other than as speed boosts. I didn’t miss out on anything by flying over stuff because there was nothing of substance; just unnecessary enemies in my path.

GW2’s maps are nothing like that. Mounts are more than just speed boosts. GW2 maps and mounts interact in ways that are clever, fun, and provide their own gameplay in ways WoW never could. Even in core maps, mounts are very fun to use. Not only that, in GW2, you’re free to just run past unnecessary enemies all you want, even without mounts (which is like half the point of flying mounts in WoW).

In its current design, the Skyscale already negates many of the fun interactions between other mounts and maps. It also makes the Springer almost completely useless. True flying isn’t something I’d like to see unless it’s done in a way that doesn’t negate other mounts. Perhaps a map or two with low gravity or something. Or make it so that the Skyscale can actually fly, but only for about 5 minutes an hour.

Also, if we ever get a situation of true flying, I’d like to see some gameplay attached to it. Maybe make it so that the Skyscale needs to use its boost through magical rifts in order to recharge its stamina (so that just mindlessly flying into rifts doesn’t recharge stamina). Perhaps have enemies in the air that shoot at the players so that players need to dodge. Have some pillars or platforms so that players can cleverly navigate to block enemies’ line of sight while flying. Just flying from one place to another without any interaction is boring and not what I expect from GW2 mounts.

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Like 2

Do not change the Skyscale in any way. Anet actually managed to create Mounts that have a learning curve in order to become proficient in them and get the most ouf of them. Not only that, but once you master the Mount it is so much more fun.

Example from Raptor: Jump over a canyon in order to land right on a small pillar sticking out in that canyon. Since you can vary the length of your jump this is really fun to master. There is one with a Mastery point on it near Derelict Delve wp in Desert Highlands.

Skyscale is a higher learning curve: barrel roll, Endurance, Flightmeter, using Bond of Vigor and Wall clinging.  I am the Skyscale Boss now though. 😉

You have to learn to play your character but you also have to learn your mounts. That's pretty great imo.  Only game I know where Mounts are actual gameplay.  In my opinion off course. 

Edited by Tyncale.1629
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1