Can we please get a SKYSCALE that has freedom of flight??

2 minutes ago, Telgum.6071 said:

Do people really have the WoW flying mount as a standard of good mount system design?

Depends on the other options. I dont know any other MMO with flying personally but GW2 is more of gliding than "flying". So with that, I would say WoW flying is better than GW2 cause well it is flying

• Like 3
  • Confused 6

3 hours ago, Twilightzone.7452 said:

Depends on the other options. I dont know any other MMO with flying personally but GW2 is more of gliding than "flying". So with that, I would say WoW flying is better than GW2 cause well it is flying

I haven't played WoW, but in Final Fantasy XIV your mounts fly non-stop. You can fly through a whole map without the need to stop for your mount ... to take a breath. For crafters and gatherers, in particular, who need to move between precious nodes -which spawn at certain times- the non-stop flying is a blessing.

Edited by Neurion.4086

1 hour ago, Neurion.4086 said:

I haven't played WoW, but in Final Fantasy XIV your mounts fly non-stop. You can fly through a whole map without the need to stop for your mount ... to take a breath. For crafters and gatherers, in particular, who need to move between precious nodes -which spawn at certain times- the non-stop flying is a blessing.

With FF14, it requires you to essentially complete the main story portion for the map as well as commune with a bunch of air currents in order to unlock flying for the particular map. Well… the core maps requires just the entire main story.  All of this is character bound. 

Edited by mythical.6315

On 5/31/2021 at 5:34 AM, Sinister.5792 said:

as for someone who plays solely pvp... I have to grind to get this mount... and its the only way I enjoy pve... by flying around ... like riding a car in the city in night time... except im revvin up my skyscale 

I love to rev up my roller beetle, it goes at the speed of sound

1 hour ago, mythical.6315 said:

With FF14, it requires you to essentially complete the main story portion for the map as well as commune with a bunch of air currents in order to unlock flying for the particular map. Well… the core maps requires just the entire main story.  All of this is character bound. 

Yes, I know, I have done all of these.  I never argued, or even mentioned, this wasn't the case. What's your point?

P.S. Most of the mounts you buy on the mog station are account-wide. My main character and 3 alts are currently riding SDS Fenrir

5 hours ago, Neurion.4086 said:

This is what the Devs don't want, which is why the flying mounts were designed in the manner that they were.  They don't want players to be able to avoid all content on a map (although it could be argued that it is possible to do so with griffon/skyscale/beetle)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Neurion.4086 said:

Yes, I know, I have done all of these.  I never argued, or even mentioned, this wasn't the case. What's your point?

P.S. Most of the mounts you buy on the mog station are account-wide. My main character and 3 alts are currently riding SDS Fenrir

If something were to be implemented in GW2, it could end up being character bound as well. Players would need to complete the story on the character as well as map completion. 

I wasn’t speaking about mounts themselves but the flying aspect. 

Mounts are designed as low level skill-based tools. As far as I can see, unlimited flight removes the skill-based component and therefore does not align with the design of mounts in this game.

WoW has its thing, GW2 has its thing. Forum requests notwithstanding, GW2 is not designed to be a free-to-play version of WoW.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Skyscale is a chopper/ mountain climber basically. Once you reach your ceiling you can stay there forever hovering. If you use bond of vigor to refill the bar a bit you will go a little higher, but you will slowly fall back down to your previous position. Or you can climb up on cliffs getting higher and higher.

If you want flight like a Fighter jet i suggest the griffon. With it's power dives you can dive bomb people and pull up and soar back into the sky.

use Skyscale to get up high then mount eject(bond of faith) > glide > mount up on griffy and zoom around!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Skyscale can fly for quite a long time, once you’ve figured out how to use it properly. Even when drifting back down to earth, I can sort of barely touchdown on to elevated objects, replenishing the flight meter, then launch back into the sky. If you’re looking to cover distance on it, you can’t just spam “V” off cooldown , and you have to sort of vary your altitude so that you can regain flight meter upon descent. Get some practice with it before suggesting such a large change.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I'm not gonna say no as others have done for cheapening the map. It doesn't because you can still walk around or use a Raptor if you really wanted to. It's not an acceptable excuse flung about. 

I will say however that while it took me awhile, the finesse of knowing how to use the Skyscale, and knowing instinctively what you can pull off with it makes it very engaging. It's boosted abilities also help with this.

While I personally loved the flight in WoW,  I am equally happy with the Skyscale here, and our own personal glide for maps like Verdant Brink, which that other game doesn't have a satisfactory glide in it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Skyscale is good where it is.  It allows players to get around much easier. I have no complaints. 

Griffon works okay as well.  It's much faster in the air when you jump off somewhere way high in the game. If you know your maps, you can glide around fine.

Edited by Sir Arigius.6294
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd say, for balance purposes, maybe give us a skill used once per hour with unlimiting flying for 60 seconds.

Also, give us one map or instance where unlimited flying is possible. It's chose chees if its a super rare case to do this in AND you can justify it lore wise with any number of reasons (Dwarven Stamina Juice, Asura Stimulant Tech, Ambient Chaotic energy being absorbed etc). Maybe its even for a boss battle where you have to be highly mobile... just ideas 😉

On 5/31/2021 at 2:30 AM, Sinister.5792 said:

Can the devs please make the Skyscale with unlimited flight??? 

[...]

this sucks...

Many players, including myself, used to complain about this after the introduction of the Skyscale. However, you get used to its mechanics the longer you use it - and it's okay that there are limitations, because otherwise it would be even more OP (it already is as it is).

The world of Tyria is designed differently than that of WoW, and if the Skyscale was the way you desire, it would completely ruin exploration and gameplay.

I support the OP's opinion. It is annoying to land all the time and to take your time to cling to a wall etc. Why not just fly up etc. And all the opposing forces here: as always, you were exactly the same people who opposed mounts at all (remind you beating the dead horse meme). And most of you liked it. 

And no you don't 'break' maps and trivialise it. You make it more comfortable and you also add no fly zones if necessary. And why do you think traversing maps must be slow paced, annoying and a chore? GW2 showed that all these typical MMO mannierisms were just crap and boring and made a lot of stuff differently. Why not making the skyscale more appealing? Don't get me wrong, I like it and I used this mount in PvE the most, but I hate to land and to not be able and miss a ledge if I am out of 'juice'. Freaking annoying.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

On 10/23/2021 at 7:52 PM, Touchme.1097 said:

You would not benefit from updrafts because if you had both Skyscale and Griffon you would travel so fast passing through updrafts without going up and if you did you would lose your speed from diving with the Griffon.

For Griffon I can agree with your statement.  But to be able to use updrafts with Skyscale would make sense.

I sometimes unmount in mid-air in updrafts, switch to glider, gain height in updraft and then mount again and to be able to do this  with Skyscale and without switching to glider would be a small qol-feature.

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, HotDelirium.7984 said:

I'd say, for balance purposes, maybe give us a skill used once per hour with unlimiting flying for 60 seconds.

Also, give us one map or instance where unlimited flying is possible. It's chose chees if its a super rare case to do this in AND you can justify it lore wise with any number of reasons (Dwarven Stamina Juice, Asura Stimulant Tech, Ambient Chaotic energy being absorbed etc). Maybe its even for a boss battle where you have to be highly mobile... just ideas 😉

Doesn't Skyscale already have this with Volatile/Unbound(?) Magic Orbs?  They fill the stamina bar with each contact. 

• Like 1